logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
Pantothen website
Money has left my account but no product has arrived.
2. (46 mins ago)
Scam or Real?

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

H&R Block- Rapid Refund Emerald Card Complaints & Reviews - Scan/Freud - Praying on customers

H&R Block- Rapid Refund Emerald Card Contacts & Informations

H&R Block- Rapid Refund Emerald Card

Posted:    H&RBlockScams

Scan/Freud - Praying on customers

H&R Block
complaintsboard.com
2009 - H&R Block and it's bank are scamming it's customer who normally file for a rapid refund. Customers who have always gotten a rapid refund are now being denied and being told that each year, "Our criteria changes." Yet, their funds are obligated to the Emerald Card and the fees associated with the card ($35 annual fee).

For the past two years as a single mom who helps her sister through college, I have gotten a rapid refund through H&R block. I know the fees are high, but I also need the money and my sister needs books now ($800 worth) that are not covered through her grants. Why I need the money is neither here nor there. The problem is H&R Block says that you will receive a refund in 1-2 days. I was told I was approved for the 1-2 day refund, as I have been in the years prior. This year, however, I was denied and told I would receive my refund in 8-14 days. The reason for the denial is unclear, since my credit is better now than it was last year. I was also told that my Tax Refund had been accepted by the IRS, i.e., they found nothing wrong and are processing it for payment -- so again, why the denial?

When I called the bank several times, I was told that "our criteria has changed, " but they were not sure what was going on, telling me they had been getting calls "like this" all day. That people that had been getting the rapid refund for the past 5 years were being denied this year.

I will never use H&R Block again. My contract says I have until midnight tomorrow (Jan 21, 2009) to cancel, but I was told by the district manager that if I cancel, then I will receive a paper check, and it may take up to 3 months to get my refund.

My problem: 1) I was never told about the 8-14 day possibility of a refund. 2) I can do my own taxes, E-file and have my return back in 8-14 days without any fees. 3) This is a scam to get customers to use the Emerald Prepaid Card, owend by H&R Block so they can make money all year (it cost $20 to withdraw funds over the counter in one of their subsidiary banks).

I am filing a complaint with consumer affairs and I am advising others to do the same. H&R Block knows instantly if you are approved or not for a rapid refund (they own the bank). They should be upfront with customers and tell them right then and there if they do not qualify and that it will be 8-10 days before they get a refund. If they tell customers that, most will just leave and do the taxes themselves, and they lose customers.
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Feb, 2009 by   digitaltax 0 Votes
Oh and i AGREE with this complaint, i thought i was posting on "DefJux619"'s comments so i clicked on Disagree because i do not agree with "DefJux619"
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   Uniquemuah 0 Votes
My husband and I just went through the same thing. I have gotten the Rapid Refund for eight years and was denied this year. We went over the contract word for word and no where on there does it say that there is a possibility of being denied yet alone anything about fees being reimbursed or kept. However it DOES say that we will receive our return in 1-2 days. Due to their lack of information as well as them stating that you will recieve the return in such an amount of time, they should be obligated to give you the refund. Although they may have 'changed their criteria' they forgot to change their contract this year. I suggest everyone go through the packet that H&R Block gave you and read it word for word and then you have a great case after all they do state that you WILL receive your rapid refund, and they have you sign it before they even do the credit check (that alone should be a red flag for a scam). Good Luck! I'm going down Friday to contest mine, I hope you all do the same!
 23rd of Jan, 2010 by   insectacila 0 Votes
i will never go back to H&R BLOCK Denied rapid refund for first time ever . They know if you qualify before you leave the office. Now i am stuck with Emarld card What a scam
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   miss thomas 0 Votes
Yeah I wish I had known too...I got the rapid refund last year and did my taxes this year and was told I had to wait 8-14 days to receive it, tomorrow will be 14 days and I was told that it would be here until Friday...If I would have known that I would have did my own taxes or had it direct deposited into my bank account and would have received it a week ago...I will never do this again, I am gonna cut this stupid card up and run the other direction...I can't believe it, people really rely on getting their money sooner and this how they want to treat their customers...This really sucks...But I'll know better next year!!
 16th of Feb, 2012 by   JLB00 0 Votes
I have read some of these comments and I am sick to my stomach about this. My best friend is in the same situation, she has 4 kids and her and her husband filed there taxes and they did not apply for the rapid refund but they did pay $465.00 to have their taxes done. They said that the money would be there in 7 days, well still nothing and no help from HR Block or the IRS.. I know the IRS is not behind like some people say. I filed my taxes on TURBO TAX! No I do not work for them or have anything to do with them, just a normal working dental assistant. I have used their services for the last 3 years and I have only paid $60-$70.00 to file my taxes.. I filed my taxes with them and checked the IRS website and it said the 21st is when I would get my money, well today is the 15th and to my surprise my return is in my checking account! I feel so sorry for my friend and the people on here having this problem! I wish you all the best of luck, and for next year I reccomend turbo tax, they have online support and they helped me with any questions I had in less then 5 min. It is not hard to file your own taxes, it is a full proof system and will not let you make any mistakes( I know b/c I tested it) :).. Best of luck to you all!

5 Ways Credit Cards Can Help You