logo

Wrong order

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Hondros College, Fairborn, Ohio Complaints & Reviews - treatment of students poor

Hondros College Contacts & Informations

Hondros College

Posted:    mindysue35

treatment of students poor

Hondros College
1810 Successful Drive
Fairborn, Ohio
Phone: 937-879-1940
Hondros College of Nursing would not allow friends or family members to come to the pinning of the new graduates. New graduates deserve appreciation for their hard work, and certainly deserve to have their friends and family be present to see them be honored for their hard work. Even after students complained and went to the administration and asked for family and friends to be allowed to be present at their own pinning...Staff responded with " I DON'T EVEN WANT TO HEAR IT, OUR DECISION IS FINAL!" What a beautiful way to treat graduates who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much. By the way, families have sacrificed a great deal too to get their loved on through nursing school. Hondros is certainly not the cheapest college around and you think they could honor this request. Also, they only hold a graduation ceremony twice a year, and students finish the program quarterly, and they make the students wait 3 months to even have a graduation ceremony. They do allow you to have 5 friends or family present at this ceremony. They give you 2 uniforms, which you pay for, that must be worn 5 days a week. THANKS HONDROS FOR NOT GIVING MY LOVED ONE THE RECOGNITION THEY DESERVED AND WORKED SO HARD FOR!!! VERY REWARDING FOR THEM. I wish our children could see their parent be recognized for their hard work. That would of been such a treasure. But the decision was final. I guess some people just have to have their way and make sure their authority is known than to think of others.
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Hondros College complaints
Hondros College - wrongful dismissal

Comments

29th of Jul, 2010 by   Hondros is a Joke +3 Votes
Hondros School of Nursing is the most unprofessional organization that I have ever dealt with. They simply do not know what they are doing they have no care for the student. The primary focus of the college is to make money, they are simply not professional educators the teachers are in some case very knowledgable but in others are clueless they simply have no clue how to run a professional organization. They take the students money and have no accreditation that will transfer. They are less than honest about the ability to transfer credits or procede to a BSN progran. They have such a poor reputation other reputable colleges will not accept their credits even in nursing.
 19th of Aug, 2010 by   annieruth +1 Votes
Hondros College of Nursing does not treat their students well at all. Every quarter brings new changes that blindsides the students and frequently cost them money. Complaints are never acknowledged as having merit and students are basically told "put up your money and shut your mouth." They make everything sound great at the information session and orientation. However, once you've sunk money into the program and are put into a situation where you can't afford to quit (because none of their classes transfer to a respectable school) they don't care for your input about anything. Some of the teachers are really good, some are terrible. Ironically the terrible ones seem to be in higher favor with the administration. I did graduate with my LPN despite this and feel like I'll pass my boards. I urge extreme caution to anyone who wants to go there, It is a means to an end, but be ready to take a LOT of crap and be treated like a 5 year old.
 16th of Sep, 2010 by   Hondros Grad -1 Votes
Waaa, Waaa! What a bunch of freaking cry babies!!!
 16th of Sep, 2010 by   tosha5252 +2 Votes
so what?? even REAL colleges have just two ceremonies a year, with people graduating at all time of the year...and the number of family members is always limited, to around 5 or 6...the way you are talking, students have no type of ceremony at all...
 18th of Oct, 2010 by   tchond14 0 Votes
I am a current Hondros student in the LPN program. I am in my 3rd quarter and have had very few negative experiences. The one negative teacher I have had is no longer employed by Hondros. As for their accreditation, Hondros is a new Nursing school and accredidation does not happen over night. It takes alot of time and warrants the high standards and strict protocols Hondros has put forth towards their students and faculty.Hondros is a good school and I believe will recieve the accreditation it deserves very soon!!
 10th of Nov, 2010 by   DISPLEASEDSTUDENT +1 Votes
I am a student nearing completion of my Nursing program at Hondros in Dayton. The school is unprofessional, disorganized, disrespectful and degrading. They have arbitrary policies that are applied or not applied at their discretion. The administration is down right rude to students. Their true colors emerge once you are so stuck in debt and vested by time that you can't quit. They do not allow you to CLEP anything and they do their very best to avoiding accepting credits from any other institutions. IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY and POWER! "Teachers", and I use the term loosely, actually take PRIDE and BOAST about their student failure rates! When your start a class with nearly 60 people and approximately 20 remain; there is an evident problem. Students with 4.0 averages, that annoy staff, miraculously fail an entire class during check offs. That is a prime illustration of the arbitrary, random application of standards, since others that made her same mistake passed! It is far worse than any high school click and far more expensive than most reputable institutions. Speaking of tuition...financial aid is a JOKE at that place. They bill for things you never receive, they mark up everything including uniforms and charge you double for classes until you call them on it. Oh and does anyone besides me smell possible fiduciary malfeasance, when FEDERAL loans take 4 terms to get disbursed to the student. So I pay interest to the government on my Unsubsidized Loan while they Hondros holds MY money...awesome huh??? And the pinning ceremony being treated like a top secret event is ridiculous. They are holding it in a classroom...really...that's special! What about those of us that have relatives that want to pin us?? It's just yet another way that the students are of NO concern to the staff at that place! I am at least proud to say that I will soon be a Nurse after enduring Hondros's year of torture. I just can't wait to get my RN so that I don't have to admit that I went to Hondros on job applications! IN SUMMARY...SAVE YOUR TIME, MONEY, SANITY AND FAMILY BY AVOIDING THAT PLACE LIKE HIV!!!
 27th of Feb, 2011 by   Unfortunate student at hondros 0 Votes
This school is all the above posts and more. They are indiscriminate in their policies, treat their students like crap, lie, and do what they can just to get your money. That in and of itself is a reason not to go there. but its also NOT accredited. dont risk it. you are throwing money down the drain. I know of a student, top in the class who is being failed for a stupid reason yet people who made med errors in clinicals and others who cheated are still there.
 9th of Mar, 2011 by   LEEJa -1 Votes
Well I was considering transferring from the community college to Hondoros but now I am very skeptical. I do plan on persuing BSN but if the credits do not transfer I don't see the point in wasting my money.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   Karen2641 +1 Votes
I am a graduating RN student at the Hondros-Columbus campus. I completed the LPN and RN programs at Hondros College. I have had the opposite experience. I have struggles completing the program; most due to my being back in college after 15 years. Now, here I am about to graduate, have received FREE, daily tutoring from the faculty and sometimes the administration; and I am about to be a NURSE. I have seen and learned alot about being a college student again and more importantly, about being a NURSE. What I have mostly seen at Hondros College is a staff and instructors who are there to help ME. ME. ME. ME. On the other hand, I have also seen alot of students who simply need to grow up, take responsibililty for their own actions or inactions. I have actually seen students show up to class after being absent for multiple days and have the nerve to be outraged when they dont do so well! What you will soon learn, If you ever get the privelege to be a nurse, is that Hondros is preparing us for the workplace! If you dont like rules or being told what to do, how to do it, when to do it and prove you did it...then you dont want to be a nurse. OH, by the way, check out the Ohio Board of Nursing website as Hondros College has FULL approval (I checked!) AND they are accredited by ACICS (www.acics.org) and have been since the early 90s! Get your facts straight! I will be proud to be a Hondros NURSE as it has changed the course of my life and that of my family!
 18th of Jun, 2011 by   MKerr +1 Votes
I just had the pinning ceremony myself and they do allow guests to attend this now. However, up until a few days prior to the ceremony, they were not going to. I do understand their point in not allowing guests for this though. It is meant to be a celebration among students and faculty. I see the graduation ceremony being a "family" celebration. They do only have the graduations twice a year, but it seems typical in my research of other institutions. I, however, will not be attending.

However, I believe that we go to nursing school and sacrifice because we want to be a nurse. I know that I, personally, have sacrificed having a personal life, sleep, food and sometimes sanity all due to the desire to be a nurse. My son has also sacrificed greatly, but all has been worth it.

As for uniforms, they provide three. Terms 1 and 4 were the only ones that became difficult for uniform upkeep. Honestly, you just lose sleep in order to wash them. This is yet another sacrifice.

My experience with Hondros has not always been positive, especially starting out when I was still trying to learn the policies and procedures. They are a Private, For-Profit institution so they are going to be money motivated. They are rather costly(just had another tuition hike). It is the nursing faculty who is removed from that mindset. I was at the Westerville location and mostly only have good things to say about the instructors. They work you really hard and push you beyond your believed capabilities, there is nothing wrong with that. It has made me confident in my own judgement and ability.

I would recommend Hondros to anyone, particularly the Westerville campus. I have learned what is expected from each instuctor and can tell you just how hard you have to work for each one.

This is not my first college experience, I've actually been to 4 and have countless credits that are of use later on. They have a closer knit feel than any other institution I have been to. Like the students, the instructors also have their own personality and teach accordingly.

Mt Dew was my best friend thoughout this journey. I wish I was staying in the area because I would continue with Hondros into the next phase of my life.
 1st of Aug, 2011 by   Hondros College 0 Votes
Hondros College would like to announce a change in the Pinning Ceremony attendance policy. We listened to our students' concerns and position on the policy, and we understand why it is important for you to have your family celebrate with you at the ceremony. Space constraints had required that we limit attendance at some campuses, however, due to recent campus growth, we now are able to invite and welcome family and friends to the Pinning Ceremonies. We look forward to seeing everyone at the Pinning Ceremonies this September
 16th of Sep, 2011 by   Nursing Student -1 Votes
Hondros (Dayton Campus) is a horrible nursing school. I have had nothing but bad experience with them. I agree with all the above comments, they are very money oriented and don't respect the students. They are also very biased and favor students, they will bend over backwards for you and change rules IF they like you and if they don't than tough luck. I would not recommend this school to anyone...save your money and time and go somewhere else.
 5th of Feb, 2012 by   xobxr +1 Votes
I am a student at the Westerville campus. I completed the LPN program and I am now in the 5th quarter of the RN program and plan to take the BSN there also. Hondros is like any school or employer, you are going to like some things and dislike others. I was to start in the Fall of 2009, and unexpectedly had to have open heart surgery. The staff treated me like family when they found out, I had numerous phone calls to check on how I was doing. I started the next quarter. I like the small campus, the faculty and staff know me by name and always ask how things are going, both personal and school. Yes the tuition is high, but it is a private school and they are in it to make money. I know they are cheaper then a lot of other private schools in the Columbus area. It is what you make of it. If you don't like it you always have the choice to choose another school. As far as the accreditation I truly believe they will get it, the program is still fairly new and it's not going to happen overnight.
 22nd of Jul, 2012 by   Honjoke 0 Votes
I attend the Indepence Campus in Cleveland this will be the first RN class I finding out that the school is very unorganized and the instructors are rude, and the class load in ridicolus who carries 15 credit hours, they don't want to take transfer credits, I wouldn't suggest this program to anyone don't waste your time or money, who pays 1000.00 dollars for an online math class your teaching yourself, and who puts A&P with microbiolgy who does that stupid crap they sitting you for failure after they rip you off!!!
 28th of Aug, 2012 by   M.Bowling 0 Votes
i just want to say that i do believe this school is dishonest. I have never gotten a 92%-94% on a test in my life. When i took my entrance exam I was told i got a 92 or 94 percent...this was a lie. I should have known then there was something shady but I wanted to be an RN so bad and I thought that maybe the school would be easy since my score was that high. They just want money. As far as having accreditation, well after trying to get accreditation for 2 1/2 years they just up and pulled the application, gave some stupid reason that there were fraud going on, don't make sense, in fact many students quit as soon as that happened. Teachers quit each term, not one teacher but half of the teachers quit last term. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
 14th of Oct, 2012 by   amamoffet -1 Votes
100% agree with everything above! SAVE YOUR MONEY!! They are unprofessional and all the college cares about is money and they are VERY dishonest just to obtain all of your money! During orientation I was told the 1st term would be the most expensive, but if I could make it past that I wouldn't have any trouble paying because my payments on my monthly payment plan would drop. WRONG. First term it was $360... second term they bumped it to $460 and now they're telling me third term I will owe $1, 200 a MONTH!! That's absolutely absurd!! I work full time on third shift (which, they actually brought a speaker in to orientation who informed us that if we work 3rd shift or more than 15 hrs a week we could automatically expect to drop 2 letter grades), moved back in with my parents, eliminated all but my phone bill and car insurance... I can't do anything else to pay for this school! Yet, Hondros credits won't transfer anywhere either because while they are accredited by the board of nursing, they're not accrediting by the CCNE or NLNAC, and they fail to tell you that this will effect transferring and finding a job. They actually go out of their way to assure students they are fully accredited and everything is great, which while it's not a lie, it's not being fully honest either. So, that leaves me with either finishing, or wasting all of my money. I haven't figured out how I'm going to do it yet, but I'm going to suffer through this bank account rape until I graduate, but then I WILL be transferring schools to receive my RN... even though I'll have to retake at least Human Anatomy, English, and Psychology.
The one good thing I have to say is that I honestly do love most of my professors. For the most part, they're very knowledgeable and willing to help students when they're struggling.
But seriously people, I know every school and workplace has it's ups and downs... but listen to everyone above, this place is almost ALL downhill!! You will be wasting your money!
 11th of Dec, 2012 by   student 0009 -1 Votes
Very disrespectful of students and faculty. It is not a place I would recommend to anyone!!!
 14th of Dec, 2012 by   LPNmccar +1 Votes
I am a current RN student at the Westerville campus, I completed my LPN there as well and I have to say that there have been some issues but non that the faculty didn't or wouldn't work hard to take care of . Before starting the LPN program at Hondros I attended another private school with many more issues so this experience has been a walk in the park compared to what I went through. As far as transfer credits NO NURSING CLASSES TRANSFER EVER, no matter what school you go to or come from, tuition is very high, I had to pay about $1000 out of pocket in the LPN program 1st term but received about $2000 total in my pocket from my excess financial aid, in the RN program I have right now paid a little over $3000 out of pocket, I am now finished with my payments and will receive money back from here on out which will equal about $3000 when its all said and done however there is also no waiting list and it is a private school, No this school does not have its some of its accreditations but they do have some and full approval through the OBN and should have their CCRNE by the time I finish the RN program in Sept. 2013, Yes taking A & P and microbiology together was tough but is this really a complaint you have to do what you have to do and no one in my class failed either, my family enjoyed the pinning and graduation ceremony, a lot of colleges (not all) make the pinning ceremony private including the one I came from and I don't know of any college that has graduations after each term, with that being said I graduated 2 days after finals and let me just tell you it was very stressful (finals week m-th, pinning Friday and graduation on Sat). I am on track for the same thing at the end of my RN as well. I do plan on continuing on for my BSN at Hondros. Have I had rude instructors yes (not all of them), have I had instructors that would go above and beyond for their students absolutely, has it been stressful absolutely, have I and my family of 6 had to make sacrifices YES, YES, and YES!! It's NURSING SCHOOL you have to do what you have to do plain and simple. I also know people who left Hondros to go to Columbus State for their RN and most of them are or have already come back, and there are students that have transfer credits coming in and do not have to take many gen eds, as far as our schedule goes again is this a complaint, I've only had a 5 day school week once so far (term 4 LPN), which I think is great!! my previous school was 8-5 m-f.

There are issues but here in Westerville they are taken care of.
 10th of Jan, 2013 by   sorryiwent 0 Votes
I just wish students seeking to become a nurse would look at these sites first as I'm sure many of the people who posted prior to me wish they would have. This school is unorganized, lack resources, lie and take your money. They want to tell you accreditation isn't that big of a deal and the owner of the school sends out a bogus email explaining why they pulled from the process. They are liars. Accreditation IS important. The reason they pulled out is because they were no where near in a position to pass!!! Trust me I use to work in accreditation for a different agency. It is just one thing after another with this school but the most important issue in my mind is the clinical experiences. What a joke. They send you to welfare daycare centers for your pediatric clinicals. They give you one maybe two days at a hospital (if your lucky) for OB. It's unbelievable the amount of money they charge you for school and other services, yet you get nothing in return. I don't have a complaint reference to MOST of the instructors; however, some of them have very little experience themselves. Just please don't get into a big hurry, like I did, to become a nurse and give YOUR money to these crooks. It's just not worth it. Sit on a waiting list at a reputable college before waisting your time and money at this one!
 31st of Jan, 2013 by   saywhat09 0 Votes
I as attending hondros for the lpn program at the west chester campus. after filing a complain against a faculty member the administration miracously was able to see the information on my facebook account. So monday I filed the complaint and informed the campus director I would be withdrawing. Tuesday I decide to stay and continue I only had a few months left. Wednesday I had surgery while at surgery I received an email with the appropriate use of social media policy. Come home from surgery go to sleep wake up to an email from the campus director telling me I cannot go to clinical but am to report to his office at 9am thursday. I replyed I couldnt because I would be unable to drive due to influence of prescription pain medications from surgery. I received a follow up email stating I was until further notice banned from the campus and clinical. Thursday roles around and I request a copy of all of my school records. Next thing I know I cannot log into the schools online dashboard, online education center, or my school email. Then I receive a phone call from the police asking me about what was going on at the school. I replyed I dont know whats going and told him what had happened since monday. He said the school had called the police and told them I threatened staff and students on facebook. Long story short I didnt and hondros college expelled me for wanting what is rightly mine. I didnt get due process in the expulsion Ijust had access to everything revoked. So now im sueing the school for reimbursement of ALL moneys paid to them from the time I started the LPN program to current day. and the only way I wont take this to court is if they refund ALL moneys paid to them from the time I started to now. because if I have to take them to court they will end up paying way more than just what I payed them out of pocket through loans and through grants. ill get them for court costs and the cost of my lawyer.

Report: T-Mobile Customer Rip Off