logo

Sears Jewelry
Broken in 3 months
2. (3 mins ago)
Free of Blemishes
posting fake comments and product is a scam
3. (6 mins ago)
Dealer Synergy Sean Bradley
Sean Bradley Scammer
4. (9 mins ago)
GLD Myscore
they keep on charging me
5. (12 mins ago)
Right Cars
Credit card deposit not returned

Consumer Tips & Tricks

HomeAway.com
3801 S. Capital Of Texas Hwy, Suite 150,
Austin, Texas
homeaway.com
Trey Herschap has emailed a truly horrendous three page legal disclaimer. It is valid under the laws of the state of Texas. As I have never even been to Texas and am not resident in the US, it has no validity. But let us not tell him. After a month ceo Brian Sharples has replied to say that he has to leave legal matters to his staff as he does not have sufficient expertise. It might seem that his staff do not either in the international arena. He has confirmed as I thought that he read all my emails.

I will respect Trey Herschap's desire that I do not reveal whether or not Homeaway has refunded the $800 paid for my advertisement. But what I will say is that dealing with staff at the company in the UK and the US has been a truly depressing experience. They refused initially to remove an obvious libel. They refused to refund my subscription saying that I had canceled it myself. They demanded that I sign a horrible legal waiver, which could have placed all subsequent legal costs at my expense.

Potential advertisers will assess for themselves whether paying for an advertisement on a website which permits malicious and contradictory comments that are completely unfounded is a worthwhile investment. Maybe Brian Sharples should ponder this also, without recourse to his staff?
Comments United States Travel & Vacations
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Aug, 2009 by   chris 121 0 Votes
BEWARE !!!
HOLIDAY-RENTALS .co.uk part of HOMEAWAY
is doing the same to me here in UK
Holiday- rentals .co.uk refuses to remove libel Review posted on my listing, saying I homeowner should counteract it with posting review of my own
Their customer service is arogant, hardly speaks any english is very illiterate and neglectful.
Especially the Holiday-rentals.co.uk Review department.
Forget about getting through to their so called legal department or managing director- they do not exist
They rather you cancell your listing and go away without refund.
Holiday-rentals.co.uk are not caring about your business or relations with them.
I think 'the company' is pair of rude, illiterate computer Geeks pretending to be large web listing company
They pocketed my money and as far as they are concerned they do not owe me anything more
I was left with no other option but to have remove my listing and go away without any refund or apology.
I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST LISTING YOUR PROPERTY WITH HOLIDAY-RENTALS.co.uk and
their parent company HOMEAWAY.com
very unhappy holiday homeowner
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   dalmations22 -1 Votes
I dont think Homeaway/holiday-rentals are a bad company at all! They dealt with my advert with professionalism and their customer service team are great. if theres ever an issue im betting its to do with the ignorant owners out there who think their dirty villa is the be all and end all

They have all these guidelines about their reviews and I think reviews are great. I mean, if you're gonna rent a holiday home most people tripadvisor everything anyway!

this complaint is completely wrong so please everyone just go with what you think and not some annoying dick who posts bad complaints when he doesnt get what he wants
 12th of Sep, 2009 by   jjsing +1 Votes
My experience with Homeaway was absolutely dreadful. The house I rented was okay but when I left, the owner kept almost the entire deposit, accusing me of removing property from the house (they never said what it was or provided any proof) and that the house needed additional cleaning. We shot film of the house before we left and it was immaculate.

I complained to HomeAway, who did nothing and then stopped replying to emails.

Absolutely terrible company.
 3rd of Feb, 2010 by   homeaway +1 Votes
Homeaway and vrbo are absolutely have absolutely horrible customer service !!

Vrbo cares so little they don't even have a telephone number !

Fake reviews and no control whatsoever about who posts on their sites. If your looking for a vacation rental go on google maps and find a local company that you can call!
 7th of Feb, 2010 by   gee4747 +1 Votes
Well As a Holiday home Owner,
Who Advertises on VRBO and Homeaway.
I can only say that they provide a good service at a good cost.

They get your Apartment noticed .
I do think that a lot of people who Advertise on the sited are More C/o based, And i feel it was set up Initially for individuals . not Estate agents or Relaters . to make Big money .
which i think they dont, as people are wise to them.

I have used Vrbo in america when i have visited and been happy with most of them .

I try my best as a home owner to make peoples Vacation a happy 1.

O, and i dont ask for a deposit, As i trust people enough to take care, and if the Odd thing gets broken Well thats ok with me ..

Scotland 4u2enjoy !

gordon038@hotmail.com
 9th of Feb, 2010 by   MM123 0 Votes
I would stick with a hotel. You don't know if the owner is allowed to rent the house or condo for short term per their Home Owner Association terms. I own several downtown San Diego condos so I know the HOA terms for most buildings. The HOA require all renters be listed for long terms leases and the lease is held by the management company so security has the renters names on record. Obvouisly, long term renters and owner occupiers want to feel safe in their homes without strangers coming in and out every other day. If you are caught renting short term the security is allowed to kick you out of the building. About half of the downtown San Diego condos are being listed in violation of the HOA terms. I would assume it would be the same if you searched any other major city on HomeAway.
 22nd of May, 2010 by   LAURA7x 0 Votes
I have had similar bad experiance with Homeaway.
As the owner of luxury properties, I paid to place ads on Homeaway sites. That makes me the customer. For some strange reason homeaway does not see it that way.

Only twice in 5 years have I had to keep a damage deposit and both of these guests posted horrible reviews. I sent documentation to Homeaway including photos of piles of dog poop left on carpets, and reciepts for replacement of missing flat screen tv and custom bedspreads. Still they refused to remove the negative reviews. Even though I had 20 other rave reviews from very happy guests, my inquires stopped and I had to cancel my listing. Homeaway was arrogant and unappologetic about this and acted like they did not care about their customers. They can run their stupid superbowl ad all they want but I am sure they are losing customers faster than this ad can bring them in. I have hired an attorney to sue both the guests and Homeaway for slander.
 29th of Jun, 2010 by   susan66 0 Votes
I have had a HORROR trip of a experiance with HomeAway and VRBO. No response, no explanation not even a phone number after a review that was a lie and even against their own policies and left me without guests. This company is BAD. The customer service is a nightmare.

Susan
 15th of Jul, 2010 by   james ensor 0 Votes
Homeaway does not learn and it does not get any better. Unfortunately thay have been able to buy other websites in Britain and the rest of Europe who have been converted to their most unprofessional policies. They will allow anyone to post anything that they like anonymously on the comments section about your property and will then refuse to remove it. These can be put up purely maliciously by people who have not even booked through this website. Often they are accompanioed by demands for very substantial payments to remove the offending and untruthful material by the authior - an unpleasant form of extortion. Their customer service operatives are some of the most stupid and unfhelpful that you are ver likely to come across.
 21st of Jul, 2010 by   mtnchk 0 Votes
I have been a homeowner on Homeaway since it was TripHomes.com in my area and I have always had the original customer service person even though his office moved from my town to across the US. They have always been receptive.
 30th of Jul, 2010 by   BeeGeeNY 0 Votes
I just returned from an awful rental experience in Jackson Hole WY; the owner (off site) admitted he "had not been there since it become a short term rental" and apparently could care less about the comfort or happiness of a guest on vacation. Thank heaven for Tripadvisor (HomeAway, the company, apparently could care less...) A hard lesson to learn, but they have lost my business AND have earned a "Don't ever use them!" recommendation from me to anyone who will listen!
 17th of Nov, 2010 by   unhappy with Homeaway customer service 0 Votes
I agree with the homeowners who have had negative experiences with Homeaway.com. And they are correct in stating that VRBO does not have phone access for its owners. I had a false negative review placed two years ago and it has really hurt my rental business. I have 15 rave reviews posted on my property--all 5-star reviews; but I had a manipulative renter who was upset that I kept a small portion of his deposit after a 5-month stay. The house was filthy after their departure and they had been given detailed cleaning instructions or the choice to pay for a professional cleaning. They took neither option and when I contacted the renter on the day of departure, I even gave him the choice again, after his move-out. He opted to pay for the cleaning at that point, but was very upset about it. I even gave him the choice to enter the home again and do the cleaning himself. I kept a very small portion of his $2000 deposit (one month's rent)--around $150 for the cleaning--and he fired back by leaving a false review, claiming that the heating system in our Maine home doesn't work. I called Homeaway for weeks on end to try to resolve this, as I had AMPLE evidence that this review was false. I was not able to resolve it. They kept insisting that it was a matter of this renter's "opinion" and that they couldn't argue with an opinion. I kept asserting to them that this man's claims were claimed as FACTS--not opinion--and that his facts were wrong. I offered them ample evidence, including a statement from our heating and cooling company, asserting that the heating system was not only BRAND new, but also highly functioning. This man claimed in his review that the heat does not go past 60* in the winter months and does not exceed 55* in the kitchen. Clearly, one cannot live in Maine with a home that doesn't heat past 55* or 60*. I provided Homeaway with so much evidence of our heat system working perfectly fine, as most of my renter heat the home to 70* or 71* and they kept asserting that "it was this man's OPINION that the heat didn't register past 55 or 60* in the house. They have been unwilling to address the issue and all of my winter contracts are renegging. I believe that since I have so many reviews, people read the first few--see that the house is great and that guests are happy--and then reserve their stay. I believe that once people make their reservations, they read all the fine print on the entire ad, to see what's included in the home, what they need to pack, etc. It is at this point that they read the negative review and then I never hear from them again. Dealing with the Homeaway company has been an incredible nightmare for me on so many other occasions and for so many other reasons, not the least of which is their computer glitches. I have not been able to log on to my ad for months now. Their servers are always down and they have major computer issues and programming issues. One summer, my ad was stuck at the bottom of all of the properties in Portland Maine (278 properties that year) and nobody was finding my ad. I lost approx $15000 in rental business that summer, as nobody could find my ad, and despite NUMEROUS phone calls to Homeaway and their own acknowledgment that they were having significant programming issues that summer, their offer to me was to run a free "special" for me--something that they charge $15 for. Thousands of dollars in lost business and they offered me a rebate of $15 for an ad special that I had no interest in running on my property and didn't use.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   Property Owner in Orlando 0 Votes
I came across something very funny about VRBO and HomeAway... they even believe that they suck as they registered certain domains that will make you laugh! Check it out here: http://www.vacationrentalscommunity.com/forums/p/2072/3770.aspx#3770
 3rd of May, 2011 by   Irisbow 0 Votes
I booked an apartment thru Home Away that turned out to be uninhabitable! When I complained that it smelled like a sewer, had a leak in one bedroom wall and the owner charged me for the 3 day minimum they said they could do nothing and would keep records on the property. They wouldn't allow me to post a negative review because they said I "threatened the owner" when I asked for my $$$ back-- yes I said that I would post a bad review if he didn't return my cash!!! What a joke!!!
 16th of May, 2011 by   mwitherspoon +1 Votes
I too have had bad experiences with HomeAway and VRBO. They got so big they no longer seem to care about individual homeowners. I have found that advertising on a smaller site like http://www.findrentals.com might not get as many inquries, but has a thousand times better customer service. They actually CARE! They might not bring as many potential renters to me, but I have had no problem staying booked. There are a few other nice smaller vacation rental sites out there that HomeAway hasn't purchased yet, and I recommend you try one of them before going to the huge corporation that doesn't care about you!
 8th of Aug, 2011 by   Chavah +1 Votes
Homeaway.com and vbro.com regularly violate FREE SPEECH and will ONLY publish GOOD reviews and refuse to publish BAD reviews! The owner of property #182771 (Seawatch condo) in Gualala, owned by GARY AMADO (A vile, horrible, nasty man), submitted a rebuttal to the review they finally published - which was sooooo watered down as to do NO good to warn others at all. The rebuttal by GARY AMADO was so filled with lies as to be laughable. I am pleased that there is a forum for complaints about Homeaway and vbro. I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH EITHER COMPANY AGAIN. THEY ARE THE WORST!!!
 7th of Dec, 2011 by   kmaksic 0 Votes
You people ought to check the community site on Homeaway. Homeowners are fuming with HA. HA is ruining VRBO. And yes alot of us homeowners are dropping our memberships because they simply don't listen to the owners that advertise. They don't listen to the homeowner or the renter. Remember it is their motto "We are not party to the contract". I am cancelling my listing on HA this March. VRBO I will probably reduce my pictures and pay less. I hope more owners hit them with their pocket book.
 18th of Apr, 2012 by   Danny12345678 0 Votes
I have been advertising on Homeaway for 4 years. I had 5 properties listed all with rave reviews. One very nasty traveler named reyna Joselevitz- kept filing complaints for all my properties. homeway had refused to look in to details- which only could've taken 5 minutes. ha had suspended my advert. Horrible experience with reps and I am so disgusted with their service.
 18th of Apr, 2012 by   Danny12345678 0 Votes
Homeaway is The most number one site NOT to advertise your home to!!!
Do not do it! You will have no protection to your home, false negative reviews -,
You will never get through on the phone, your advert will take forever to work, overpriced advert---- don't do it!!!

THEY ARE HORRIBLE!!
 18th of Apr, 2012 by   Danny12345678 0 Votes
My experience with home away has been horrible. guest family of 5- reyna j had rented my home for 9 nights and had left the place trashed, had thrown eggs on mattress, piles of garbage, it was disgusting. She had also charge backed a credit card, fake money order. A scam from beginning. She had reserved a studio but had brought 5 people. Our studios strictly sleep max 4 and we had to offer her bigger apartment 2br for $40 extra a night. She was so unhappy with extra charge - she had made several complaints with homeaway.

A week later, after numerous protest, they have suspended our advert. All 5 adverts which had been paid till end of year.

Lottery Scams! Beware of This ID Theft!

Latest Groups