logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Tim Tointon Star Clothing Store
Don’t buy from them – seller doesn’t provide orders
2. (3 mins ago)
Lavisa Infrastructures Ltd.
Real estae Fraud
3. (5 mins ago)
Efaucets.com
customer service and return policy
4. (9 mins ago)
Don't trust them!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Healthcare Recoveries, Inc., Louisville, Kentucky Complaints & Reviews - Possible Identity Theft Scam

Healthcare Recoveries, Inc. Contacts & Informations

Healthcare Recoveries, Inc.

Posted:    anonymous1010101010

Possible Identity Theft Scam

Healthcare Recoveries, Inc. (a.k.a. Trover Solutions)
Louisville, Kentucky
Phone: (502) 214-1340
troversolutions.com
Received a letter from "Cheri Hill" at Healthcare Recoveries, Inc. Letter looked like a mass mailing letter and had a fake signature. The letter asked me to call a toll free number and give their customer service department my Blue Cross Blue Shield member ID number. I looked up the company and found out they are really Trover Solutions. I also searched "Cheri Hill" on Zoominfo.com and found out she works for a company in Indiana, not Healthcare Recoveries nor Trover Solutions. Be very skeptical if you receive this type of letter because your insurance company already has your member ID number. Hiring a third party company to solicit this information from members by mail does not make any sense.
Comments United States Phishing
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Nov, 2011 by   rawbar 0 Votes
Ahh... just got my Gibson & Sharps letter after ignoring all the previous letters for the most part. My wife is all panicked about them so I actually did try to call after the 2nd letter and they wanted me to hold for them. I waited approximately 5 minutes in the queue waiting for someone to take my call. No thanks, I'm not wasting my time sitting on hold so I can help you. Gibson & Sharps, meet my trash can.
 13th of Nov, 2011 by   k2. 0 Votes
jwren: Thanks for you simple, 4-step action list. Feeling uneasy about the snail mail received yesterday from "Cheri Hall", today, I decided to check online for folks relating similar experiences. To avoid future contact with "Healthcare Recoveries", I will follow your suggested course. Hopefully, that will do the trick. Thanks again! k2
 30th of Nov, 2011 by   Vivian Malits 0 Votes
How do I reach you with a private email about a claim?
I don't want to post all the information for public viewing.
 4th of Dec, 2011 by   DOG DAY SAINT 0 Votes
I present all of you with the facts and what you can do in regard to letters received from Healthcare Recoveries.
Don't ignor the letters, be pro[active and call the 800 number. Inform the Rep. that your call regards the event number printed on the letter and ask the Rep. for their full name and an employee ID, if there is an ID to give, (be polite) do not give your insurance card number, instead, think about what statements can be made to fullfill any legal obligations covered under HIPAA RULES AND GUIDELINES. under HIPAA rules it is legal for this third party;
Healthcare Recoveries to request information about your event. However, if your visit to the ER was not the result of an accident you only need to state that fact and tell the Rep. that any more information would have to be provided on a report issued by the hospital in regard to the release of the ER Summary report.
If your ER visit was indeed the result of an accident. you can again state that any information that would be factual woulf or should come ffrom a professional sorce, i.e. hospital ER summery report or if related, any police report that sould be provided through the actual insurance provider, i.e. Blue Cross.

Keep in mind that most of the information they need and legally entitled to can be obtained through proper channels when they abide by HIPPA rules and guidelines. By sending you their letter all that their really doing is hoping you'll help make their job less time consuming and more cost effective.
Do not be intimidated by threats of legal action against you, the fact is, in the state of Illinois; the state Attorney General could when proven, impose a fine on the company (healthcare recovery and the law firm of Gibson and Sharps for harassment, which could result in your being awarded $1, 500.00 but, you do have to first prove that you were pro-active and that you did send a letter requesting no further communications with HCR and/or their legal reps.
 19th of Dec, 2011 by   doubledd 0 Votes
Hey all,

I got the same fishy looking letter form Healthcare Recoveries so I called BCBS with the 800 number on my card and asked them if they are are a company they do business with. I found that they are in fact doing business with them and that is the correct number to call them with. I then called Healthcare Recoveries and found that the only information they wanted was the Event number listed on the letter and if the procedure was due to an accident or some other event that would enable them to spread the financial load to other companies. They really only asked the question "was this treatment called for due to an accident" I told them no, and that it was recommended by my doctor. that is the only information I gave and that is all they asked for, I did not offer any details past that. At the end of the day its a bit of a pain but I can understand why the are doing it due to the incredible cost of medicin now. Clearly they are getting enough results to be able to spread the financial load to other companies. otherwise they would not be paying a 3rd party to do this. Now if you would have to answer yes to their question I would think that you might want to work with Human resources at your co. if you have that, just make sure this was handled properly and with confidentiality. I would not give up that information without some input from people that are familiare with those kinds of issues.
 22nd of Dec, 2011 by   met163 0 Votes
Alright, this thread really freaked me out because I had no idea who was legit or not -plus some people are really harsh or just don't seem real. Here's my story: I had wrist surgery to have a cyst removed recently(3 months ago) and just got my "2nd notice" from Healthcare Recoveries ie Ms Cheri Hall. I ignored the first letter, hoping they would just take me off their list(wishful thinking i know). But number 2 came and I knew it was time to call Blue Cross Blue Shield to confirm the legitimacy of the letter. So, I called the number on the back of my insurance card and finally got through to a real person who nicely informed me that "yes, it is real." she explained basically what alot of people on here are saying, the company is hired by BCBS to see if any monies can come from anyone else. I told her that I have had past experience of fraudulent medical practices(Backstory:a hospital sold my old record of an ER visit to the collection company CMRE who said I didn't pay it and it was over 3 years old! This was absolutely not true and I had records to prove it. I had to seek legal counsel and write dispute letters which did finally clear up of that scam) so I'm very hesitant to call them and give any information. She said that most likely they have it all and would most likely only ask for event number which is provided on letter and maybe date of birth like her company does. (which I didn't like bc thats not on the letter so do they really have that?) She also said that I wasn't the first person to ask her about these letters and how they don't seem to be authentic and apologized for that. Strange but nice.
So I hung up the phone and decided I would try the online method that was provided on the letter first before calling Healthcare Recoveries. It actually was simple to my relief and they didn't ask for any extra personal information that isn't provided on the letter- as in NO birth date, etc needed! :) The online form is in 5 steps: First you put in the event number and the info on the letter(address, name). Next page, it asks how the injury was received with several options which you have to choose one.I chose "other" so the next page made me fill out the "other" information - which included detail description of the injury/incident. So I explained it was not an injury and my doctor recommended the surgery, no one else involved or at fault. no accident, etc. The rest of the page asks specifics like where you got hurt, when exactly did it start, if you had involved any other insurance companies/filed anywhere else, and finally is the patient represented by an attorney.
Final page- says thanks for filling out info and asked for a telephone number if they have questions. So this was the only piece of information that was not already on my letter and i figured i'd give it to them, although I wish I didn't have to.
That was it. So here's hoping no more letters or other issues come about. I would recommend people to call their insurance/biller directly. Find out the scoop, give minimal information if you do give anything. Be careful if you talk with anyone.
 10th of Jan, 2012 by   Customer911 0 Votes
The comment below was posted on another site but its worth a read...
Subrogation is usually proved by some bit of information the consumer supplied to the INS CO. They get this information when people talk to places like Healthcare Recoveries (work for BCBS). DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM!

How many times have you tried to contact your INS CO and they have given you the run around and WASTED YOUR TIME. Get them back by not answering them! If you make the mistake of answering the phone, put them on hold.

Healthcare Recoveries is trying to get money out of you! Even if the INS CO has paid the claim they can still try to recoup their money. Example: If you fell at your mothers house they would try to sue your mothers homeowners INS CO. Nice, now her INS rates go up.

Lets address keeping costs down... These are the most common healthcare scams; Phantom Treatments, Double billing, Shoddy Care, Unneeded Care, Identity Theft, Rolling Labs and Runners. Subrogation isin't on most heathcare scam lists. The fact is, it's easier for the INS CO to just ask you a few questions and then take your money or money from your mothers INS CO than to go after the real crooks. Your mom will thank you.

DO NOT ANSWER HEALTHCARE RECOVERIES!!!
DO NOT ANSWER HEALTHCARE RECOVERIES!!!
 8th of Mar, 2012 by   csre 0 Votes
omg you ppl are crazy, call you health plan its a real compnay that works with your health plan to make to third party isnt liable for you treatment like work comp or car insurance. this is not a scam they are just trying to keep cost, so the health plan isnt paying for stuff another party is liable for.
 19th of Mar, 2012 by   ssmerocket -1 Votes
Healthcare Recoveries, Gibson and Sharps, Trover, who pays for them? We do, with higher premiums, as the insurance companies try and "3rd Party" their way to profits. Who are the "3rd Parties" who "should pay"? Why other insurance companies with their own subrogation henchmen and the same motives. How in the heck does this keep costs down? Does it really keep costs down if your BCBS gets paid back by my Kaiser who does the same with another Ins Co and so on with the added overhead of all these "lawyers" and "recovery" shysters? Get real. Ignore these idiots, you are just feeding their fraudulent system.
 16th of Apr, 2012 by   Anonomous 1 +1 Votes
I also got a letter from healthcare recoveries and made the mistake of calling before I checked on this website.She asked about the incident listed but also asked about other incidents which I answered and regret I did. I had no idea what was going on started getting upset over her questions and she ended the call. I should have asked for a superviser but I think the damage is done and things will be blown out of proportion.I dont know what to do now. Do not call them... Anonomous1
 22nd of Jul, 2012 by   BigRich 0 Votes
Got the same letter. My employer pays an arm and two legs to provide me with health care. My injury began to bother me at work, but really it is an arthritic condition, , not an injury at all. If I told these bums that it started on my work shift, they probably would be trying to sue workman's comp, or my boss. I bet this would really please him (NOT). I intend to show my boss tis letter, so he knows the real dilemma this company could so easily put him in. This ambulance chasing is the main reason health care costs as much as it does. The lawyers get rich suing to collect.I do not intend to respond to this letter at all.
 9th of Sep, 2012 by   Phoebeast 0 Votes
Ok. Here are the facts. When you purchase insurance directly or through your employer you enter into a contract. That contract has a clause about potential subrogation rights and your agreement to cooperate. Unwillingness to cooperate may forfeit your rights for payment of claims. There is always a contract and you can always ask to see it. Just ask your HR rep or insurane company.

Your insurer pays a subrogation recovery company (HRI/Trover is not the only one) to review your claims. Claims submitted by a provider (doctor, hospital, ER, etc.) are reviewed based on the standard diagnosis codes put on the claim. If the code used indicates an injury that MIGHT be accident related your name and address kick out and you get a letter. The letter is only asking you to confirm or deny if an accident ocurred in case another party is legally responsible for claims resulting from an injury. If you are in a car accident and someone else hit you sometimes your medical bills get paid by the car insurance company rather than your health insurance company because they are legally responsible. That all. This is not a scam. It is not fraud, identity theft or phishing. Lawyers are involved at times because a matter of law comes into question regarding interpretation of contracts and fault. It happens everyday.

Often you do need to cooperate else your insurer may stick you with all the bills because you are contractually required to. Your insurer is too busy paying your claims and dealing with all the BS of HIPAA and healthcare reform to do subrogation work themselves. The people that work at these places are just like anyone else. Doing a job to get paid and support their families. There is no conspiracy. If you don't like the way this works then you have to change the legal system and healthcare and other insurance. Good luck with that.
 21st of Sep, 2012 by   nearmj -1 Votes
I found HR (aka Trover Solutions) also intrusive with its "Cheri Hall Manager" form signature. I hate HR and that "HIPAA" leverage sentence. nearmj
 21st of Sep, 2012 by   king789078 +1 Votes
Bank of America can not talk to you about your sister account unless you have a power of attorney.
 21st of Sep, 2012 by   king789078 0 Votes
You have stupid and uneducated consumers. I bet if the insurance company cancel this clown out she/he/it would be on the phone calling.
 29th of Oct, 2012 by   fluffy1971 -1 Votes
I too was very skeptical about the letter and kept ignoring it. it just didn't feel right. so finally I called my insurance company directly and talked to a representative and she assured me that it is legit and its ok to give the information requested. I called about 5 mins ago.
 11th of Dec, 2012 by   Vits 0 Votes
Please do reply to them. I called BlueCross, my payor, and they confirmed that Healthcare Recoveries represent them. They are just here to verify if your injury was caused by any other party that may be at fault, that's it. My insurance also said if i dont respond to them, they will keep sending 4 letters and if i dont respond to the last one, they may withdraw the money given to the provider/hospital, which I believe can then end up on you. So best is to cooperate and respond to their queries. They don't ask any personal info other than about how the injury took place etc.
 19th of Jan, 2013 by   Jack1247 0 Votes
Got a letter. Claims treatment date as "an accident/injury". Doesn't pass the smell test.

If my insurance company wishes to inquire me about medical history it can send me a request that is not operating out of a PO box

If they're legit they should acquire methods of acquisition that don't resemble mail/identity fraud..
 14th of Feb, 2013 by   lostk 0 Votes
Healthcare Recoveries is not a scam in the tradition sense of the word, but neither are they your friend. If you were injured by the wrongful act of some third party, Healthcare Recoveries wants to know because they would like to potentially recoup some of what your own insurance company paid to you. But what they gloss over is that ordinarily they are not going to try to get it from the third party whose wrongful act injured you. They are going to get it from YOU when and if you try to recover from the third party. They do this in two ways: (1) almost all health insurance contracts give the insurance companies a contractual right to seek reimbursement in these situations; and (2) to prove a case against the third party, you will need documentation regarding your medical bills, which these guys won't give to you unless you jump thru their hoops to make sure they get paid. When they talk about cost containment they are talking about taking money that would otherwise go to the injured party who had used the insurance that he had already paid for with his premiums. Those who call them "ambulance chasers" have it 180 degrees wrong. That term is usually used for Plaintiff's lawyers, lawyers who represent people who have been injured. Healthcare Recoveries helps the insurance industry by trying to take money out of the pockets of injured people.
 17th of Feb, 2013 by   notconvinced 0 Votes
How can they prove they sent any letters by regular mail???? This is like Phishing on the internet hoping for a response. My 3rd letter? prove it. If I am required by my insurance company, why isn't my insurance company asking? Did I sign for any letters? What letters?

Testing Fuel Saving Tips