logo

Bad service

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Heald College, California Complaints & Reviews - Complaint!

Heald College Contacts & Informations

Heald College

Posted:    Mike i783

Complaint!

Heald College
California
As of 2009, Heald College was purchased by Corinthian Colleges Inc, and they are now a for-profit institution.

The main objective with a for-profit college is to make money $$$$$ and alot of it! And all of that money is being drawn out from us, the students. Rather than using that money in improving on the quality of an education that a student recieves, in the for-profits perspective, they would rather use that money in funding the pockets of their shareholders!

The tution they charge at this school is very expensive as well!

An AAS Associate of Applied Science Degree at Heald, costs between $18, 000 to $20, 000 depending on which program you enroll in. This degree is not considered nor does it qualify as a legitimate/valid degree. The coursework units that you take towards an AAS Degree are not transferable to any Traditional Community College. This degree does not have the same Academic Level/Rigor as that of an Associates Degree at a Traditional Community College.

An AA Associate of Arts Degree at Heald, costs between $9, 000 to $10, 000 for 6 months of General Education Classses at an Accelerated Pace. This degree is considered a legitimate/valid degree and is transferable to certain CSU & UC Campuses in the State of California, and Hawaii Pacific University / University of Hawaii in Oahu.

Heald College is in the process of establishing a Bachelors Degree Program. However, in my own personal view, pursuing your Bachelors at a Traditional University is the way to go. A for-profit degree in most cases, is not widely accepted by Employers! If you were to decide to pursue your Bachelors at a for-profit institution, then decide later on to get your Masters at a Traditional University, it is highly unlikely that your units will transfer!

If you are planning on continuing your education at a for-profit institution, talk to other students who are currently attending or have graduated and get their perspective on things. Because once you walk through that door, Admission Reps will do all that they can to get you in! They have a quota to meet, and need to fufill their recruiting line needs. An Admissions Rep see's a prospective student as $$$$$$, you are profit to them!

- do not sign anything! If you are being pressured into signing a contract immediately, Leave Right Away!
- As a student you have the right to request financial aid information on the Degree Program Cost. If they choose not to disclose this information into you, they are in violation of Federal Regulations.
- Paying Point, is a very common tactic that Admissions Reps use to draw students in, for example; " do you want to be stuck working at this place your entire life? I thought the reason why you came in today was because you wanted to make a change in your life! Do you want to change your life? yes or no? "
- in addition to the Paying Point tactic, Admissions Reps are trained very well into seeing what is bothering you. Do not fall for this!
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of Nov, 2010 by   missindependent -1 Votes

this is a well known issue...
 8th of Nov, 2010 by   leslie c 0 Votes
This is correct information, because I attend Heald right now.
 8th of Nov, 2010 by   EricMathew -2 Votes
It's clear you are angry about Heald for some reason, but I need to correct the misinformation you put out there. Before I do so, I encourage you to contact the student/graduate help line @ 1-866-579-2874 to resolve whatever is ailing you.

Heald is accredited by the exact same accreditor as the California Community College system.

Heald has numerous articulation agreements which can be found here: http://www.heald.edu/about/accreditation
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   leslie c 0 Votes
It is clear that Heald is getting over on every student.. And this is not misinformation that I am putting out here (about HEALD), only I know what HEALD did to my account as myself being a student at this school..and I graduate this quarter while you think you know everything.. They are making a profit, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME..
 9th of Nov, 2010 by   Mike i783 0 Votes
@ EricMathew, I do acknowledge and agree with you on the articulation transfer agreements with CSU & UC's
If Heald is WASC accredited, then why is it that some Admission Reps are still telling prospective students that the courses they take towards an AAS Degree are transferable to a Traditional Community College, when in reality they are not accepted ??? I graduated with my AAS the other year, and before signing up an admissions rep told me that all of the coursework I take towards an AAS are transferable to a regular Community College. I was extremely disappointed upon completion of my AAS that my units were not transferable!!!
 15th of May, 2011 by   yll 0 Votes
@Mike, many people think accreditation has something to do with academic rigor. It does not. As the WASC (ACCJC) states, "Accreditation is a voluntary system of self regulation..." The school tells the accrediting association that it plans to do certain things, and keeps those goals extremely vague. For example, the school might say a goal is to teach "critical thinking." It writes out what its plans are to do this (giving assignment X), and keeps a record of having done this. So, the fact that a school is accredited has little bearing on how well it educates. Before selecting a school, students should do research by a) talking with students and alumni, b) talking with employers in the desired program c) researching on the net. Keep in mind that sites like this are going to skew negative. More general reviews sites are probably going to skew to both ends: people who loved their education and people who hated it, with little in between. Good luck in your further studies.
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   love my kids 0 Votes
The financial aid office will lie to you be very careful, get every thing in writing. I started school about 2months ago, my schooling was all paid for through my GI bill. But in order for me to be able to pay rent while going to school I took out a student loan that they talked me into taking out so that I could start a few months early. They told me that I would receive the first amount in may the second amount in July and the third amount in Oct. well it is now July and well I have received nothing and now about ready to loss the place that I am renting. It turns out that they had not even turned in my paper work. Then once I had hounded them enough they finally did, but told me that it was held up on the loans end. So I called the place I was going to be getting the loan from and they let me no that the money had already been given to the school. So of course I then went to the school to figure out what was going on. That is when they told me they did not have the money, then back tracked and said that it has to go through a bunch of people before they can give it to me. Then I asked well can you call them e-mail them any thing, there reply they will get to it when they can. Down side to all of this my GI Bill already paid my tuition and there is nothing I can do. Either way I have a student loan that I cant get the money, a school that I am not learning any thing at and there is nothing I can do about it. So please save your self the time and energy and find a school other then heald its well worth your time to find any where else. Once they have your money they don’t feel the need to help you any more so be aware of this.
 26th of Jul, 2011 by   leslie c 0 Votes
I do not attend this school anymore. I graduated in Jan. of this year. And I think that you need to find you another school, because Heald is a bad school. This school have left a bad scar in so many students life including mine. I am currently enrolled at Humphreys College and this school is best I have heard from other students that have been going there for 2 years already.. This school is the best yet thus far.. But I totally agree with you about stupid Heald College..

5 Tips for Tech Savings