logo

207 N Midland Ave
Joliet, Illinois
Phone: 815-741-5630
www.harrisbank.com
I accepted a check from my neighbors for my old car. I told them a check was fine (they're my neighbors for Christ sake). I went to this godforsaken bank to cash the check (as my bank is 2 hours away, I recently moved), and these rat b******s tell me there is a $5 fee to cash the check, since I'm not a Harris customer. I asked to speak to the manager, when out comes a rude and surly woman with facial piercings. I was told that I could open an account or not cash the check, or pay the $5 fee, and I stated 'Why would I give you all the interest on my money, and then you charge people I write checks to $5 to cash them? Do you not make enough money on the customer's money you are earning interest on, or the lines of credit using the other customer's money? You are charging me to get money that isn't even yours.

I would never put my money in a place with these practices. Why should my employees pay to cash their check at the end of the week.' It was not a big check, $1200, but I stated that the interest they would have earned on my money would have far exceeded the $5 they screwed me out of... probably in less than 20 minutes they would have made their $5. The manager walked away while I was talking. Surprise.

I called customer service, No difference there. I informed them to have their attorneys watch the newspapers and Internet, as I could assure them this was going to surface. My plan is to let the rest of the US population know what a bunch of shysters this outfit is, and for it to cost them a hell of a lot more than the $5 they screwed me out of.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Jul, 2008 by   Concerned Citizen 0 Votes
Most of bigger banks have this policy. if you don't have an account with them, they want you to go to your own bank and cash your checks, otherwise for your convience you have to pay $5.00
You probably just never came across to this policy before.
 29th of Jul, 2008 by   James -1 Votes
Every bank has a fee for cashing other banks checks. Calling Harris a cheat is inapropriate and overboard. Try opening your own shop. And having every Tom-Dick and Harry come to you for service for every little thing with out charge and see how you fee about working for free!!!
 6th of Aug, 2008 by   Bob 0 Votes
The reason why u dont go to the bank that u with is cose you dont have any money!!! There?????????????
 6th of Aug, 2008 by   Bob 0 Votes
Why didnt you drove 2hrs to go to your bank may be you would save $5.00 in gas!!!
 11th of Sep, 2009 by   Me-ow 0 Votes
I read this article on Law.com a couple of months ago:

Wachovia, others sued over 'bad-faith' overdraft fees

Wouldn't be surprised to see a case against Harris join the list.
 13th of Dec, 2010 by   Najera 0 Votes
Harris Bank is terrible about imposing fees for EVERYTHING, even if you are trying to make an automobile loan payment online or per telephone. If you make an autoloan payment and you are three minutes late on the deadline, they will impose the late payment charge on your account. Last year we were experiencing very hard times, I fell behind on our automobile loan by one payment. I talked with one of their representatives and proposed to get caught up within three months, by making the payments on a weekly basis for an amount equal a month's payment + 1/3 of a month's payment. The loan officer said that it would be fine, and HB would not charge the late payments. After the three months passed and I caught up with the automobile loan payments. the HB SOBs imposed 4 late payment charges to my account. The HB SOBs would not honor what was agreed by one of their loan officers.
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   marymomof2 0 Votes
Are you really bitching over $5? GET A LIFE DUDE..
 28th of Jun, 2011 by   Ruedog 0 Votes
Just because most banks have a $$ service charge for these items does not make it right or wrong. What people and customers are willing to pay is what constitutes what banks can charge. I personally feel the tendency toward laziness in this country is what drives companies like banks to charge what they can. Many people feel financial companies have the "Do what we can get away with" attitude. Some of this is with good reason. Look at the laws which govern financial malpractice. The CEO of a hedge fund or mutual fund faces a maximum penalty of a $$ fine without any jail time for years of financial malfeasance. It doesn't take a Kellogg MBA to figure out that this is a great way to make a ton of money with very little risk. Many people are too busy with work, kids, homes, etc to have time to chase after their banks that are ripping them off. So they do their best to be on time, and do the right thing. If they slip up the banks will be there to capitalize on it. We must teach our children the lesson from this and to plan, schedule, and budget better and more conservatively.
 6th of Jun, 2012 by   TOOSERIOUS 0 Votes
I have to say, I am not too worried about 5.00. I do understand your complaint. Why does this bank and other banks need to make more money on transferring paper. My complaint has to do with the attitudes, rudeness and demeaning tones they use when they call every person in your family probably found on the internet. I do intend on stating with the bank privacy acts that are not being followed by these Chicago based pricks! I have had one and only one helpful conversation during my loan period. I am almost ready to say, "come pick up your pos which you will never make back your lost money on and leave me alone!"

Do Gas Saving Devices Work?

Latest Groups