logo

MaSon
Dating
5. (41 mins ago)
ArcTrading
Don’t invest and deal with these criminals

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Complaints & Reviews - Remote control stopped working!

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan Contacts & Informations

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan

Posted:    Adrienne

Remote control stopped working!

Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan
I bought two Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fans at Lowe's last year... one for my bedroom and one for the Florida Room. I have had no problems whatsoever with the one installed in the Florida Room. However, the remote control has completely stopped working on the fan in my bedroom. I have tried re-setting it but have not had any luck. As it is now, I cannot turn anything on or off with the remote control and the bad thing is that it only came with a remote control; i.e., there is no pull string for back-up. Anybody got any suggestions on how to correct this problem? I checked the Lowe's website and a replacement remote control costs $50.98 and I only paid something like $59.99 for each ceiling fan. What's wrong with this picture? Thank you for your time and assistance, if possible.
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

8th of May, 2008 by   Laura 0 Votes
I also have several Harbor Breeze Fans that were quite pricey. I paid an electrician to put them up. The larger one in my livingroom has been a disappointment, in just a few months the light will not turn on with the remote and there is no pull string for back up. I had not realized when I bought this fan/light that it was run strictly by remote control (I wouldn't have bought it) the light bulb is the strangest looking thing. I am very discouraged. Thank-you for the above address and phone number of this company
 22nd of May, 2008 by   Tasha 0 Votes
Try buying a replacement kit. You can get them at Lowe's for around $25 and it comes with a new remote and fan system. It shouldn't be too hard to replace.
 17th of Jun, 2008 by   Ron 0 Votes
Same issue here with a Harbor Breeze Fan and Thermostat Ceiling Fan & LIght Remote Control. My guess is the Remote Control has gone bad.

I had an electrician install my fan in Feb 2007 and he used power from a ceiling light which still works so I think it is the remote. At Lowe's this is Item # 103186. I bought the same one as a replacement for $35.97, but before I have it replaced, I will call the number on the packaging to see what they have to say
800-527-1292.
 13th of Jul, 2008 by   Scott 0 Votes
Sounds like a few of us are having the same problem...had my fan installed in a 2 sotry entry way June 2007...stopped working last week. I got the $59.99 special at Lowe's last summer, and the item number was 233576...model #TDCVIII52ABZ. I suspect it is the remote as well, ours does a funny thing...the LED on the remote doesn't illuminate when I press the MED speed button. It does illuminate for the light, Hi, Low buttons. ODD, but it seems like the remote to me (changed battery and does the same thing).

I haven't called customer service yet, does anyone have some insight for what to expect from them? Are they going to immdiately suggest I buy a replacement@ Lowe's, or they interested in helping understand/debug the problem?
 21st of Jul, 2008 by   Julie 0 Votes
I'm having the same problem with my remotes. Only two years old and only used in the summers at our cottage.
I will try and call the customer service number mentioned on this page. We'll see what happens.
 26th of Jul, 2008 by   Confused 0 Votes
I bought a Harbor Breeze fan today at Lowe's which didn't include the remote control. I bought an universal Harbor Breeze remote and at installation it never worked. I've changed the codes over and over and doesn't work. Any advice of what could be wrong? the conection seems to be correct since both light and fan are working. Please help me!
 4th of Aug, 2008 by   2nd Remote 0 Votes
My replacement remote went out today. That's two remotes in less than a year. It can get be really annoying when the bedroom fan light won't turn off just before going to sleep. No switches or cords to turn the fan off. The replacement remotes are costing more than the fan itself.
 8th of Aug, 2008 by   Dorothy Hardeman 0 Votes
I had a new home built in 2005 and installed 3 harbor breeze fans and now the remote control does not work on 2 of the fans...I can't turn on or off light or fan...what can u do about this...purchased at Lowes please get back with me
 24th of Aug, 2008 by   Andrew +1 Votes
I've been having the same problem with my remote not working. I actually just checked the dipswitches in the remote against the ones in the ceiling fan, and they somehow were not the same. It seems that the 4th dipswitch may have inadvertently been altered due to the battery either being changed or just moving. I advise you all check out the settings on the actual fan to see whether or not they match up.

Twist the cap covering the wiring above the fan (make sure the power is off, just in case), and you will see a black box like thing straddled towards the top. There is a little rubber square cap guarding the dipswitches. Take that off and note the setting of the 4 switches (on/off). Compare it with the remote by taking the batter pack off and looking at the 4 switches there.

I noticed that the 4th switch on my remote was turned on when it should have been off. I changed it back, and now it works.

Hopefully this helps you all.
 21st of Sep, 2008 by   Sylvia Roberts +1 Votes
I have experienced the same problem with my remote.
 27th of Sep, 2008 by   Linda 0 Votes
I have always been experiencing the same problem with the remote control for a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan in my home office. Try to work on the computer when you can't see the keyboard, especially at night. It's very annoying! I've had the fan for over a year now, and it's been doing this on and off, almost since I got it. Just this week it quit completely. So, I started searching online for help and came accross these postings. I was about to call the 800 number listed above, when I saw the posting by Andrew. I didn't even have to look at the dipswitch on the fan. I opened the remote and flipped the 4th switch on, and wah lah! It worked! Thanks Andrew!
 28th of Sep, 2008 by   Donna 0 Votes
I have a the same fan, actually 2 in the same room...One will not shut off. It does not respond to the remote. I have checked the dip switch, and the wall switch. The fans are soo high, we can't reach them, so I know the switch has not been changed on that... They were both working fine just a week ago. Then the one that does not shut off now, would not work at all last week. A few days a go it turned on by its self and now it won't turn off!!! This was aslo purchased at Lowes...HELP
 14th of Oct, 2008 by   Titus 0 Votes
I have a Harbor Breeze Austin Series Ceiling fan. I am having problems locating the right bulbs for this fan. Can anyone help?
 29th of Oct, 2008 by   Don Saenz 0 Votes
I may have a fix for some of you that have the same problem as I did. My remote light control started working intermittently and became progressively worse.

I took the remote apart and cleaned the six gold contacts (my remote has 6 corresponding buttons) with some alcohol and reassembled the remote.

Works great. Make sure when disassembling the remote that you find the screw hidden inside the battery compartment.

Hope this helps.

Don Saenz
 8th of Nov, 2008 by   paz salas 0 Votes
I had one of these Hunter Breeze fans for two months before it stopped working all together. Since it has no option for a pull swing, I can either use it as a light or a fan.
Hmmm? Very annoying to say the least.
Will make me think twice before buying any appliance from Lowes again!
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   Helen 0 Votes
Yesterday, Nov. 16, 2008, I turned my ceiling fan on due to smoke in house. I live in Los Angeles and, as you may know, we're experiencing several fires around the area. The smokey smell was in the house. Well, last night when I attempted to turn it off at approx. 10 p.m., it wouldn't go off because the pull chain doesn't pull anymore. Since I rent, I contacted the property management company about this last night and as of 1:25 p.m. today, Mon. Nov. 17, I've not heard a word from them. I'm afraid this may be a fire hazard because the fan's been up more than 15 years and the last time a part was replaced, some of the wires were very brittle. Am I worrying for nothring? Any electricians out there? HELP!!!
 8th of Feb, 2009 by   MrPosAndNeg 0 Votes
I am having the same remote problem after just 11 months. I will never ever buy a Harbor breeze fan again...I have done everything to troubleshoot and fix this, but its clearly shoddy product. The remote is junk and the design of not having a back up is worse. Lowe's should stop carrying this trash. I plan to tell everyone homeowner I know about how crappy harbor breeze is and advise they spend a few extra bucks for any other brand. I pt up with the hard to find lightbulbs...but when the function of the fan and light is completely compromised after taking the time to put it up, its a total waste of money for anyone who is electrician themself. I hate to be to poor soul who paid an electrician $75 or more just to put these pieces of crap up to find they didn't last as long as the lightbulbs that go in them. Hopefully Harbor Breeze is one of those companies that goes out of business in this tough economy, they can rot for all i care. And judging by all these complaints...they are probably in trouble.
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   Dave Rivera 0 Votes
I am having the same problem with the remote, so I called 800-527-1292, where they suggested changing the dipswitch code on both the remote & controller up in the fan housing, and turning off the main breaker for one minute ( why?). Let's see if that works. Submitted by Reglatodo
 15th of Apr, 2009 by   V. Delgado 0 Votes
My remote quit working after a little over a year. I took the cover piece off of the ceiling mount to check that the remote code switches matched. Once I took the cover piece off the remote worked. I put the cover piece back on and the remote quit again. I finally realized that the screws mounting the cover piece to the fan bracket were too tight and must have been smashing the remote sensor wire. I loosened the screws a bit, and the remote seems to be working fine. Hope this helps someone out there.
Submitted by V. Delgado
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   Carolyn 0 Votes
Lost remote for harbor breeze item number 233576. Is there a universal remote for this item number?

Carolyn