logo

Ask.com
Beware of Ask.com
5. (52 mins ago)
Kathy Chasteen of Someday Isle Kennels
MIA after given deposit money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

H & R Block, Lancaster, South Carolina Complaints & Reviews - Emerald Green Card

H & R Block Contacts & Informations

H & R Block

Posted:    Hopey

Emerald Green Card

H & R Block
Lancaster, South Carolina
Phone: 803 283 4560
I went to H & R Block in January to get an early refund as my heat had gone out in sub-teen temps and I had to get my heater fixed. I was told about the EMERALD GREEN CARD and thought this would be a good idea to get my money so I could get my heat back on. THIS WAS THE BIGGEST AND MOST COSTLY MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE! I was charged everytime I ever called the Emerald Green Card phone line. You call to question their mistakes and they charge you. I went to my H & R BLOCK agent that filed my taxes for me and she has done all she can to help me out. I paid alot of money to get my taxes done early and now I am still paying back money for some bogus explanation that makes no sense to me! I hate to call because they will keep taking on charges to my card. WHATEVER YOU DO, if you are in a bind money wise, DO NOT USE THE EMERALD GREEN CARD that H & R Block suggest. You will end up in more trouble than you were in when you started. I will continue to use H & R Block, as they have tried to help me, but I will never go with the EMERALD GREEN CARD PLAN AGAIN, and I beg you to not use them either!
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Apr, 2009 by   Antonio +1 Votes
I live in Houston, Tx and have had my taxes done by hrblock for years; I always get about the same amount of money back every year. So this yr when I was approached about the "Emerald" card advance I excepted the $500.00 bucks because the "estimated" amount that I was to get was based on my last check stub; the same amount on my W-2. The prepairer said I'd get around $2400.00 back But when my W-2 came in he claims that not only was I not getting back the $2400.00 but the $500.00 advance I had to pay back plus the interest that it had accured and now he say's by the way you also owe the IRS $49.00? I was pissed! I will pay the IRS; but not only will I NEVER have my taxes done by hrblock again, I will also NEVER pay them back!
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   smc 0 Votes
I would also like to strongly advise against the Emerald Green Card. We were told we would save money by taking the card versus a rapid refund check. We were told it could be used as a debit card. What a farce! We were charged a $3 fee for each transaction plus $1.95 service charge. We had also used the card to reserve a hotel room. We decided to pay cash for the hotel room so they said they would run a credit immediately. The Green Card would not apply the credit for three to four weeks. Try to call their customer service number and talk to a real person - impossible! And, when you do talk to a real person, of course, they don't have any answers! Also, approximately 8 weeks after we filed with H&R Block we received a notice from the IRS stating that not all our W-2's were enclosed with our return and our signatures were not on the return. We returned to the H&R office where we had our return done and showed them the IRS notice. We did not receive any kind of apology. They did not even offer to mail the needed items back to the IRS. H&R Block - never again
 14th of Feb, 2010 by   Ten Year Tax Pro 0 Votes
As a 10 year tax pro that works for the company, I can say that the smartest things customers can do is to set up a checking or savings account and utilize THAT account as the destination for whatever refund (federal or state(s)) they are due to receive once their taxes are calculated. Oh, and if it were a savings account, I'd also suggest they treat it as a Christmas Club account and set aside a little each pay period so as to be able to withdraw that $$$ and pay the H & R Block fees up front.

The Emerald Card does not have an upfront charge, but it has a whole host of potential charges, depending on how the customer wants to use the card.
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   "red over Emerald rejection" 0 Votes
I was denied an Emerald Card with a credit score of above 730 which is rated as excellent. My other 2 scores were well above 700. This summer one of the Bureau scores was above 800 based on 30 years of good credit and a 57 page credit report. HR Block has no answers. HSBC is not listed on the Emerald Card-- but that is the company that HR BLock tells you to call. The buck should stop at the name of the company on the card-HR BLOCK. It is the classic round around "shell game" scheme-"U need to call HR Block"--"no you need to call HSBC"--"no you need to call the IRS." HR Block was surprised that I was denied with such a high score--which I faxed to them. There have been numerous class action lawsuits against HR BLOCK RAL's--California, Chicargo, and West Virginia. According a Harvard Business School Report --up to 12 class action suits--for high usuary interest fees-- but that may be the least of the customer's problems--according to online complaints of charges for calling "toll free" line to find out about your refund. According to online complaints-- HSBC checks that bounce. Lost refunds--have to have the IRS trace the refund which seems to take weeks or months. Endless attempts at trying to verify your idenity--some customer's said they went back to their local office with 3 picture ID"s and HSBC still refused to verify identity even after an HR BLock worker called verifying the customer's idenity. Of course one can't believe everything written on-line but one site has 45 pages of complaints and another site has a high volume of complaints as well as negative newspaper and magazine articles.
 19th of Feb, 2010 by   meeeeeeee 0 Votes
I wanted to clear confusion on the refund process. What people don't understand is that HR Block is only to prepare and send returns to taxing authorities. They are the middle man for LOANS. Yes LOANS is capitalized because note: THE IRS DOES NOT SEND ANYBODY MONEY IN 24HOURS OR IN 1-2 DAYS. CHECK THE IRS WEBSITE - NORMAL PROCESSING TIME IS 8-15 DAYS. Ok, so you goto HR block, have your return prepared and then you are told a fee. YOU CAN ALWAYS PAY YOUR FEES UPFRONT AND OUT OF POCKET (CASH, CHECK, OR CHARGE) OR you can decide to pay additional fees to have the cost deducted from your ANTICIPATED refund. Now I say anticipated since just because the IRS says 8-15 days, that's normal processing time and ITS NOT A GUARANTEE!! The tax preparer doesn't know if you owe back taxes, child support, student loans, are being sued by a credit card company (state refunds only) or if you are selected for an audit or review of credits/deductions that you are claiming. NO TAX PREPARER CAN GUARANTEE YOU A REFUND, they go by the information that they are given. GARBAGE IN IS GARBAGE OUT. Ok, so you apply for a loan, you get charged a loan fee. Now because you are applying for a loan you sign a boat load of documents, have your identity verified and so and so. I wonder DO YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE DOCUMENTS THAT YOU ARE SIGNING. You can't honestly say that you couldn't read them because even if someone was rushing you to sign that should be your que to STOP. But still you continue on cause we all got a sad story on why we need our money, even though we waited 364 days to get it. This is getting long so to wrap up my original point: If you have a problem with TAX PREPARATION AND FEES, complain to HR Block. If you have a problem with why you couldn't get INSTANT MONEY OR ANY KIND OF LOAN, complain to HSBC. If you have complaints about EMERALD CARD FEES, NOT ABLE TO GET MONEY OFF OF CARD, RETURN CREDIT DELAYS, complain to HR BLOCK BANK. Note HR Block & HR Block Bank are 2 different entities. One prepares taxes and one is well it's a virtual bank. THE END. I WOULD LOVE ANY AND ALL COMMENTS.
 22nd of Feb, 2010 by   Ten Year Tax Pro 0 Votes
You cannot be denied an Emerald Card. You *CAN* be denied the RAL by HSBC Bank if you have issues on your credit. Recall, a credit check is just part of the process and the one clients focus on should they be rejected. You can also pay late on your bills, but not have it show up on your credit history, and be rejected. For more on that, see Citigroup and what they do to you should you miss by 1 day a payment.

Plus, if your return is held for processing, then you can be out the fees for the RAL/RAC, the $29.95 bank product charge, and tax prep if that "processing" consumes your entire refund.

H & R Block Bank issues the Emerald Cards. HSBC Banks issues the RAL/RAC products. Any questions???
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   Brenner Income Tax 0 Votes
sounds like that corrupt attorney William (Dollar Bill) Brenner and William Brent Healey that operate in Grahamsvill NY as they charge crazy fees and always get their clients audited. Then when the clients come in with the IRS notice Brenner and Healey tell them to hire an attorney. So if you want your taxes done in Sullivan, Orange and Ulster County NY don't use Brenner Income Tax unless you want to get audited .But if you do go consider what you pay as tickets to the circus to see the world's fatest two slobs in the world as these two are real fat..I mean if you hosed them down and rolled them in flour you still could not find their pee pee..
 9th of Sep, 2010 by   greedysisters 0 Votes
Debra Laundra - 227 Ginger Rd MARYVILLE, TN Any articles on arrest and conviction for pedophile, sex abuse, sodomy, baby rapist, incest, etc during years of 1994-1995?
 24th of Jan, 2013 by   10 years you are wrong 0 Votes
Ten Year Tax Pro...you are wrong, efiled online with H&R block website and chose the emerald green card to receive my refund on. At the end it stated that I did not qualify and made me choose another option. You can be denied the card!!!

How You Can Reduce Your Debts