logo

OSIM
Useless Product
4. (37 mins ago)
bingo hall.com
did not authorize this site
5. (1 hr 4 mins ago)

H & R Block/Emerald Card

Posted:    Disgruntled

scamming

H & R Block
My son was also scammed by H & R Block and their Emerald Card. He was never told at the time of having his taxes done that the $57 fee they charged in order for him to have part of his refund posted on the card within one or two days was actually an application fee for a loan that he could be denied for. He was obligated to have his taxes done there because he had gotten an "Anticipation Loan" based on their estimate of his refund. The loan is due on the 15th. He had his taxes prepared (they charged $333 to do his simple return) in plenty of time for his refund to pay the loan if it would have been credited in the 1 or 2 days he was promised (and paid the $57 fee for). Three or four days later he tried to use his Emerald Card and the transaction was declined. When he called the 800 number on the card he was told that the bank had denied him access to his own money. What the heck is up with that? Now he's in the position (even though he had his taxes prepared before the Feb. 10th deadline they gave him when he took the loan) that his refund will not be posted in time to make the payment on the 15th, and he will be charged some exorbitant interest rate. My advice, stay as far away from H & R Block as you possibly can. The fact that they are preying on the very people the government is trying to puch through legislation to help is reprehenisble, and they are no better than common thieves.
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Mar, 2009 by   Miguel Luna +1 Votes
I believe I was also scammed by H & R Block and believe I was overcharged for my tax preparation on a Emerald card refund loan that was denied anyway! and then later to have to wait the normal time the IRS would have to deposit my refund anyway!! then later when the IRS made the deposit, the HSBC bank that does the refund transaction for H&R blocks emerald card did not let me access my money because they did not want to put the funds in my emerald card account, I had to practically beg for them to put my refund in my account!!! I will never deal with H&R block again! they are out to scam and prey on honest hard working peaople.
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   Giving some advice +1 Votes
For all of you who think that H & R Block are scamming people because their return didnt go the way they expected, you should think twice. My husband and myself have been going to H & R Block for 8 years and they have always done everything they can possibly do to help with every different situation that there is. With that being said, I know from past expierence because we got audited our second year going to them. H & R Block helped with all of the paper work we needed to send to the IRS. H & R Block also made sure we got every contat phone number we needed. We also have been getting the Emerald card .H &R Block lets you know all the fees the Bank takes out for the faster service at your convienence of the Emerald card . They also let you know how much the preperation fee will be for THEM doing YOUR taxes. So for everyone who has problems with H & R Block you need to listen to the fees they are letting you know about while they are preparing your taxes .Also some advice, ask those important questions that you should have before wanting the Emerald prepaid H & R Block card.Thats if you need to be refreshed about what they had already told you at the begining of offering the Emerald card.
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   C. Bartosh -1 Votes
I have a very complex tax return. I use H & R Block every year because they are the experts. Since I usually don't have everything I need the first visit and have to return, I see other people coming in questioning where's their refund. The Tax preparers take time to explain AGAIN about the 1- 2 days after IRS acknowledgement and if the loan is approved, a refund anticipation loan usually arrives in 24 to 48 hrs. If the loan is denied the bank fees are adjusted to the product they acutally receive. You still have to pay for tax preparation and the RAC that you get instead of a RAL. They don't know what you may owe or if your credit is shot. People need to LISTEN to what they are told about the various ways to file. We go thru the options every year. Most of the time we pay our tax prep charges and direct deposit our refund, but if money is tight, we may apply for a RAL. When we do, we are made fully aware of what the lending bank will charge for that service. H & R Block doesn't get any extra money when I get a RAL. They just offer them because a lot of their clients WANT them. Ask questions and listen to their answers. Everybody wants something for nothing. If you don't want to pay, do it yourself, but don't cry if you have a problem with the IRS or don't get a good refund.
 11th of Aug, 2010 by   The Girl Who Got Ripped 0 Votes
Our refund onto the Emerald card was a day or two late...but that was not the bulk of our problems. The fees on the card and the convenience of the card were luring, so I started having my paycheck auto deposited to the H & R Block bank. Here's the problem: I often have mysterious "holds" put on my account from various companies that I shop at or buy from. After the charge is moved to the "completed transactions" column of my account, the hold stays, often in some random number that the originating company never submitted. So, basically the bank just holds money without anyone's permission...except their own...for months at a time and there's basically nothing I can do about it. Customer service is not very helpful at all! So, I'm sure you can guess, I'll no longer be having my paycheck sent there, nor my husband's paycheck. We can find another bank with higher fees, but much better customer service here locally...as can you! Don't fall into the snare of the Emerald Card!
 11th of Aug, 2010 by   The Girl Who Got Ripped 0 Votes
I'll make one comment as to how "good" they are at taxes. For the most part, they are "okay". They have minimal training and a computer system that walks them through the process...which you can do at home. I found a lot of errors on the return I last had done at Block. Even when I was in the office, I found myself making suggestions to the girl who did the return, and she kept saying, oh yes, I guess we could do that too. Then why weren't you doing it? Block are the people who are supposed to be the experts, not me. With all the great computer software available now, you'd do just as good, and at a lower price, if you did your own taxes at home or got a certified accountant to do them if they are really complex. Block is like the KMart of tax preparation. You get what you pay for!
 19th of Jan, 2011 by   jeffamyhaileyjrcody 0 Votes
My self and my husband did our taxes on Jan 14 of 2011 at abut 6:00 pm. After doing all of the paper work, the signing of papers, and the girl putting everything through the computer and her giving us our emerald card we were told our money will not be available for about 8 to 15 days later. Every other year we have done our taxes with h and r and used the emerald card our money was available the same night. Now I am stuck paying this ridiculous fee for this card I can only pull so much cash off of every day and I get charged every time I use this stupid thing. I think the 8 to 15 day thing should have been told to us up front I could have saved a butt load of money and waited for a check to come in the mail. It is now Jan 19 2011 I still don’t have any money and I have a negative $1.50 charge on the card because I called them for help. Next year I will wait for a check to come in the mail and to be honest I think I might just do my own taxes with turbo tax or something of that nature. This is absolutely ridiculous. ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING!!! Had to fined out the hard way I guess but if this is of any help to any one and they can learn from me and my husbands mistake then it was worth putting my situation on this web site. Good luck to anyone who got the emerald card this year don't hold your breath for the money to be there fast. The IRS's web site is telling me I will have my money by Feb 1 2011, H&R guaranteed me that I would have it by Jan 28 2011 and that is in black and white on the paper work H&R gave us. For shame H&R for shame, being sneaky will get you no where in the world of business sooner or later people will figure out this scam. Thank you, very angry and still waiting. A tick tock here and a tick tock there and a phone call here and an e mail there. All we want is our stupid money E I E I OOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Just trying to keep my head up with a good sence of humor!! Good luck everyone!! :)

ATM Scam