logo

Advance fee Fraud by Incarnate Software Solution Pvt. Ltd Amit Holkar

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

H & R Block Complaints & Reviews - Improper calculations on tax return.

H & R Block Contacts & Informations

H & R Block

Posted:    How Low

Improper calculations on tax return.

H & R BLOCK had an error in their software for 2009 tax year, and as a result, I owe the government almost $2000 (that's right TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!). They refuse to help me with this payment caused by the error in their software. They have left me TWISTING IN THE WIND. The following is their response.

"H&R Block Heidi ~ As the taxpayer you are responsible for tax liabilities owed to the IRS. Had this discrepancy not existed in the product originally, you would have owed these taxes at the time you completed your taxes. We apologize, but H&R Block cannot pay your taxes for you. Therefore, pursuant to limitations set forth in the End User License Agreement that you agreed to be bound by when you used the product, we are not at liberty to provide payment of the tax liability.We regret that we are unable to take on this liability for you. However, our standard Accurate Calculations Guarantee will cover payment of any interest you may be assessed from the IRS due to the miscalculation. You will need to follow the instructions in the letter that you received in order to be reimbursed for any interest payments. Contact the tax professional who completed your amendment for options on making payments to the IRS." ~Jeremy
Comments United States Business & Finances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Aug, 2010 by   How Low 0 Votes
Just to let EVERYONE know...H & R BLOCK had an error in their software this year, and as a result, I owe the government almost $2000 (that's right TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!). Yep, they got me a nice big tax return and then, 4 months later tol...d me they made a mistake and I have to give $2000 back. They encouraged me to look at it as an "interest free loan". I said, "really??? an interest free loan I didn't want, didn't agree to, and now owe back in a big fat balloon payment??? THAT kind of interest free loan???" Yeah. DON'T USE H & R BLOCK!!!

HR BLOCK's way out of their liability is to quote their "END USER AGREEMENT" which states they are not responsible for "arithmetic" errors. That's kind of funny, in and of itself, considering they are a TAX RETURN SERVICE. Let's hope your tax return service wouldn't make arithmetic errors, huh? However, this was NOT an "arithmetic" error, but an error in their software that allowed an education credit to go through that I was apparently not entitled to. This resulted in a notice FOUR MONTHS LATER that I owe TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS to the government. Now, let's explore...with a family of six, how much of that TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS would I have left in my wallet to pay the IRS with? Correct. None. It is not a matter of paying the tax, I ALREADY PAID MY TAXESSSSSSS! It's a matter of HR BLOCK making an error leading to me having to REPAY my taxes after letting me believe that money was mine to spend. SHAME ON HR BLOCK. DO NOT USE THEM. THEY DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCTS AND YOU WILL BE LEFT HOLDING THE TAX BAG BY YOURSELF.
 6th of Aug, 2010 by   How Low 0 Votes
Well, thanks for the advice on "options" to repay the IRS, unfortunately unless I repay the IRS within 30 days HR BLOCK will not be held responsible for paying ANYTHINGGGGGG. Isn't that what your letter says, Jeremy? Lots of double talk and hidden nuances in your letter, right Jeremy? You also fail to mention that the "END USER AGREEMENT" states that you will not be held responsible for "arithmetic" errors in your software. This was an error in your software that allowed an education credit to go through that I was not entitled to. That, Jeremy, is NOT an arithmetic error. You can keep repeating that this is MY liability and you will not pay MY liability as many times as you think it takes to have the public buy what you're selling. The truth of the matter is, I am now faced with a balloon payment (unless I want to pay all the fees and fines caused by HR BLOCK by using a repayment plan) of TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. Having to pay TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS and not getting TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS back in a tax return are two VERY different things, Jeremy. I have NEVER not paid my taxes and for you to insinuate that this is somehow me trying to get out of paying them is both insulting and disgusting to me. SHAME ON HR BLOCK. I will continue to make my story known to every person I can reach via FB, MEDIA and legally. Have no doubt. You can carry on with your legalese...you're not fooling anyone with an education, Jeremy...and those are the ones paying your bill at HR BLOCK.
 13th of Nov, 2010 by   Dementra Fitz 0 Votes
i know how you feel, they gave me 90$ back in April, and i got a nice lovely letter from the government that says i have to the end of the month to pay them 600$... i live alone and dont have much money.. i cant come up with 600$ out of the air. Good luck to you
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by   kt1986 0 Votes
Td577 - Dont you think that by paying these "professionals" hundreds of dollars to do your taxes that it would be correct.. and them being a larger corporation they would own up to their mistake.. Yes this money was always owed to the government...&... Im all for paying taxes owed... but why have a company do your taxes, if you have to re-calculate anyways..
Anyways td577 - hope that this happens to you.. (weather or not you calculate it yourself..or get a proffessional do it... ) or the city raises your property taxes substancially with no warning.. LOL.. Yes i wish you financial hardship due to taxes that were unbeknownced to you... then when you are whining on the internet, ... some douche tells you to man-up and pay your taxes.. LOL

Beware Oil Change Coupons