logo

AMI Energy Solutions
Fraud/Scam
4. (46 mins ago)
Walden University
cost, lack of response, grievance filed without so much as an acknowledgment...the list goes on!
5. (53 mins ago)
Freelotto
NO PAYMENT

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Gulf Coast Readers Complaints & Reviews - Received magazines I never ordered!

Gulf Coast Readers Contacts & Informations

Gulf Coast Readers

Posted:    Crystal Cunningham

Received magazines I never ordered!

I received a postcard saying I ordered Stuff and Maxim magazines from Gulf Coast Readers I never ordered these magazines I do not want these magazines. I also believe my checking account was charged I have called and left a message at the 1-800 # but have not heard anything from this company. Beware!
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Sep, 2008 by   Sherrie Johnson 0 Votes
GCR has been calling my cell phone all week. I finally told them it was a private cell and to leave us alone. They just hung up. This evening they called my son's cell and he fell for their pitch. I immediately told him he should have asked me about the call. And his cell is a completely different number from mine, just the same cell account. I have sent an email to the bank telling them we need to close this account. My son only had .74 cents in his account. Surely these frauds can't get money that isn't there. Our son does not have overdraft protection, so I don't think they could get anything, but just to be on the safe side, I am going to the bank in the morning to close his account.

I wish someone would shut these people down!
 30th of Sep, 2008 by   Whocares123 0 Votes
The people- if you want to call them that- at Gulf Coast Readers, have been pursuing me for a "debt" that actually adds up to nothing and it apparently came about for NO reason. These people have been absurdly keen on chasing after me since approximately 2001. It's 2008 now, After SEVEN years, you'd think they'd get the hint when I say, "No. I'm NOT paying you."

I NEVER got any magazines- let alone the ones they say I ordered. (Seriously- Bird Fancy? Are you kidding me?!) I NEVER agreed to pay them. (I'd remember if I promised someone almost $900 for a bunch of shiny trees.) I NEVER wanted to even have a damn thing to do with these jackals, however they've become the reason I've had almost 20 phones numbers over the last 8 years.

Obviously, I am not going to pay them for ANYTHING; let alone magazines I didn't order, never received or even wanted. I mean- if I want a magazine I'll go to the book store and BUY it. Free and clear. No obligations.

I don't want someone to accuse me of sealing a deal that I never had anything to do with. However, that's been the deal since April of 2001. It is honestly and absolutely ridiculous how rabid these people are. Even after all these years.
 1st of Oct, 2008 by   clarence jones 0 Votes
I completely agree with these complaints. I've been with them for only about two months, and i already want to cancel. They said at first that they would just send magazines they think i might like until they started the magazines I've ordered in 30 days. It's about two months later and I still don't have any of the magazines that I've ordered, and they call like every couple of days trying to get me to order more magazines when i still don't have the first ones. I need to call them and see what the cancellation policy is so i can go ahead and get them out of my hair. They are a waste of my time and money.
 4th of Oct, 2008 by   Johnny Thunder 0 Votes
Gulf Coast Readers inc. is run by Anthony Moulder. He also ran Midwest Readers out of Minnesota.

Here's their address and phone number in Florida...

Gulf Coast Readers inc
1327 A Lafayette Street
Cape Coral, FL 33904

Phone:239-540-0707
 18th of Oct, 2008 by   Paul Balares 0 Votes
I want to cancel my subscription.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   Sunni 0 Votes
I disagree that Gulf Coast Reads should call and harass someone that has been listed as a reference. I was very upset when I returned a call to let them know that the person thewy called for not at this phone number and to take us off the calling list. I guy was very rude and said that he could not do that. I told him not to call my home again. I told him I would relay the message but that if they called again I will make complaint to better business bureau.
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   Debbie U 0 Votes
I have just had three long conversations with GCR. First of all the phone was answered as "customer service" I explained that I wanted to talk about a payment on my bank account. I was put on hold and then the same person came back. They got my son's number from a sweepstake that he entered through the major credit cards and it appears GCR get their "marks" by this means.

Cut a long story short, hey got my son's cell number from a sweepstake that he entered through the major credit cards and it appears GCR get their "marks" by this means. He was persuaded to take out a "subscription" to several magazines for three years (although he says he didn't remember it being that long). There's a letter of cancellation that he was sent, sent back and they say they never received! There were conversations they said they had with him that he says he never had. There was supposed to be a verification call but he says he didn't get one. There was a number they said was given to him if he wanted to cancel; he says he was never given a number to call.

The first payment appeared on my bank account (joint college account with my son) and when I asked GCR about it I was told that they had "pre-paid" the subscription with the publishing house. Basically, these folks are a finance company. They pay for the subscriptions to the publishing companies at what I strongly suspect are much lower rates, and you, the unsuspecting "customer" take out a loan with them that they will never cancel before its expiry date. You can talk to them until you are blue in the face; they will throw absolutely everything they can at you, even to the extent of blaming my 18 year old son who, as they put it to me, knew exactly what he was doing. They even suggested that my son was lying when I told them what he said to me...the words were that 'of course he'll tell you that...' Yet, there is no paperwork, no confirmation of the subscriptions...all there is is a letter of cancellation that mysteriously disappears when it's mailed back. But of course, they are going to tell me that they didn't receive it. They know exactly what they are doing.

I am filing multiple complaints about this company. Please, please, if you have a kid with a cell phone, a computer and who thinks it's fun to enter sweepstakes...alert them to this company. They prey on kids and then state that this person is an "adult" and we are in the hole to the tune of nearly $600.00.
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   some guy 0 Votes
Let me give you guys a look at what really goes on at Gulf Coast Readers, from training to quitting/firing.

This is a company known all around Cape Coral Florida as the always hiring company. Most of the people who work there are teenagers, or people who couldn't get work anywhere else. You come in and take an interview, and then you get your job. Someone then takes you into a hot, dirty, call room filled with people in your situation who probably hate their job just as much as you hate getting their calls. You get "trained" by a supervisor, or "capper" who shows you the basic commands on the computer you'll be using, and how to read the script that they give you. Next, you spend the rest of your time calling random people selling things you know nothing about. The script starts off telling you, you've been entered into the 2008 all cash sweep stakes. I once had someone ask me when the drawing was, when I turned around and asked the head capper at the time, Heidi, when the drawing is, she told me that she always told them the next month. From this, I concluded from my time there that there really is no sweep stakes, but that is just the tip of the ice berg. Any and all information that a TSR asks you has something to do with their sale. When they tell you that the sweepstakes has been sponsored by the follwoing credit card companies, and they want to know which one sponsored you in, it's really just a check to make sure you have some way to pay them, go ahead, tell them you have no checking account or credit card, see if they keep talking. Next, their going to ask you what you do for work, and how old you are. There's 3 things going on there. One, there checking if your black or white through your voice. Two, their checking to make sure that you have the means to pay for the "magazines". Three, by asking your age, their finding out which magazine package to offer you. After that, it's all how they work you that depends on how they trick you. Some of the more skilled TSR's will improvise the script and con you into talking to their supervisors need to talk to you to make sure that they've taken the correct information down. The other, newer TSR's will get hung up on because up until then, everything is supposed to be free. Right... Wrong! They just need a small "maintenance" fee of $3.45 a week, oh, and you can just take care of that every 4 or 5 months, payment wise. What's that mean? Well, they told you the truth, you just heard it differently. 60 months pre-paid service at $3.45 a week, that's $14.95 a month* 4 at a time means for the first 15 months of service your stuck paying $59.80 for 15 months. Did you know that. Now, the people that call you aren't to blame. They are stuck in a job they probably hate, motivated by a board for sales, because if you don't make a sale a day, your gone. The real person to blame isn't even the "cappers" who your transferred to after you talk to the TSR. It's the company heads, Tony and Rhonda Moulder. There, secret's out. Trust me, getting their call is about as fun for you as it is for them to make it.
 5th of Jan, 2009 by   Stacie S 0 Votes
wow I totally agree with everyone...I was scammed the same way and I have not received any magazines from this company and they have taken $219.00 out of my account over the past 2 months...I called back in November to cancel and a lady names Christine said okay...well nope they took more money out of my account in December so when I called again I asked if I could talk to a manager and they connected me to a customer service rep...This lady was so rude and did nothing but argue with me and told me they have a no cancellation policy and I think thats bull...I told the lady that my hours had just gotten cut at work and I cant afford something im not getting and she said well its only $59.00...I was like excuse me I dont F***ing have it...if you wanna pay for me go ahaead...at that point I was sooooo angry...the lady said that they have no record of my conversation with that Christine and I never did cancel...she called me a liar and told me I had to pay...so I contacted my bank...I got some of my money back...not all of it but I got some back and they put a block on my account...so I just received a letter from GCR that I had to make my payment within a week...oh well cuz im not...oh and what is your best options?...they also took money out of my account and they are also through GCF...hmmmm a big scam...I feel so stupid for falling for this but you learn from these things...never again will I trust people...oh and I also reported them to the BBB...and im also thinking about going to small clames court...but I dont know what good that will do...I just want this company to get shut down so no one else falls for this...beware of Gulf Coast Readers and Your Best Option Inc.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   VHKB1 0 Votes
Legit and honest are two completely different things. Gulf coast Readers misrepresents themselves when they solicit people. A legitimate business does not need to use shady sales practices to sale their products. From not allowing cancellations to go through to reperesenting themselves as partnered with visa (not exactly the truth) this company is shady at best. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THAT YOU DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.
 17th of Feb, 2009 by   Kayla M. 0 Votes
For the last year my father was having his money taken out of his checking account for payments for magazines he didn't even order. The company that was taken his money was Gulf Coast Readers. How can they just take money from someone without permission or even how do they get their personal account information? My father hasn't even recieved any magazines anyway, which he never ordered, so of course they wouldn't know what to send him. Everytime we've tried to call the 800 # the CSR was always the same girl and she would not let us talk she would talk over us and was very rude. She also kept saying the same thing over and over again. Which that got very annoying because she woudn't listen to what we had to say. Plus we even got on the internet and this company doesn't even have a website all you get when you look this company up is a list a websites of complaints about the company. My father recently had to change his account so they would stop taken money from him and he'll be damned if they get his money now he's ready to ring they're necks. He's already lost almost $300 from there stupid SCAM!!! I've read most of the complaints other people have put on the internet and they all are similar to a point. I hope everybody that is getting ripped off from this company takes the advice from all these complaints and stop these money theives!!!
 19th of Feb, 2009 by   Belinda 0 Votes
They took money out of my checking account. After I sent them a Check and they cashed it.
 19th of Feb, 2009 by   MAC +1 Votes
MRS BERLINDA I AM SRORRY TO IFNORM U THAT THAT'S IS THE NOMRAL PROSEDRURE WHITH BNAK'S, ,

FRIST U SEND A CECHK TO A VEDNOR, ADN THNE THR VERDNOR "" CAHSHE'S "" THE CECK

WHICH THE EAZEST WAY TO EXEPLAN IS THTA THE BANAK GIFT'S THE AMTOTNUT OF MONYE WITH U HALF REQESETTED TO THE VENEDOR

WHTA I AM TRINING TO SAY IS THTA EVERRY THING OCURED AS IT WAS SPOSDE TO IN THSI TRANASATCION

UN LESS I AM MISING SMOE THING OR THEIR ARE SOM PIECE'S OF THE PUZEL MISSNIG, ,

I WOLD RELALLY LKIE TO HEPL YOU WTIH THIS PROMLEM MAM, ,

IF U WOLD BE SO KNID TO CALARFIY SOM DETALE'S THTA WOLD BE AN IMENSE HEPL

BLESING'S

Dr M A CARNARVORO
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   Carli 0 Votes
Ha, aw, all you poor people. I use to work for Gulf Coast Readers. They're out of Cape Coral, Florida. I was a "subscribtion renewal representative." How I reported to this "job" every day was to pay my bills. They pay amazing really. It's just another one of life's miracles. Get over it. Everyone's trying to make money. A regular company just didn't work out for the owner. Now he's fuckin' rich off all you gullable people. :) It IS a scam. Huge scam. Messed up scam. It's YOUR job to realize what you're getting yourself into ordering magazines over the damn phone. I mean honestly. As a subsription renewal representative I would call already irate people and tell them the person they spoke to previously was a screw-up and that they've only paid for HALF their subscription and I just need to verify their information so they can pay for the required second half of their service. When, in reality, they were just buying a whole new subscription. I was good at my job. :) So, you see, it's ultimately your fault and there's NO reason to get on the stupid computer and complain about it. Go take a class on how to live in the 20th century.
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   nichole_lks 0 Votes
I want to thank everyone who posted their experience becasue after reading them I called the company right away (I had made the subscrition ten minutes prior to finding this website) and the man was rude and said he is sorry that i was swayed so easily by people that waited to long and now are mad. He said that i could look up anything online and find a handful of complaints about it. well my number one complaint is that this company doesnt even have its own website and i have never heard of them. I dont feel comfortable knowing that they are so suclusive and so many people have the exact same problems with them! thank you so much for saving me from a massive trainwreck!!!
 17th of Oct, 2009 by   Candas 0 Votes
I too was conned into a subscription saying that I had won a 500 dollar Walmart gift card and that I could get the subscriptions for free then for a small amount per issue then when I got their letter in the mail it said it was for 5 years of something crazy like that. I immediately sent in their letter to cancel the subscription and just this week they took 60 dollars out of my account the 239-540-0707 number rings busy and the 800-637-6959 tells me the voice mail is full and hangs up on me...so now what do I do?
 31st of Oct, 2009 by   LindseyA 0 Votes
OH my God i wish i would have researched this freakin company. I totally dont ripped off .. first thing monday morning I'm going to the bank and blockin this crap .. and i am filing a complaint with the BBB..
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by   stephanie Bruce 0 Votes
I have my own complaint. I was called on Nov. 23, 2009 at my home and talked with 3 different people and i do not recal being given a number to call if i wanted to cancel or have any questioins. I was told that my package should be to me by friday, Nov. 27, 2009, and would come Fed Ex. This is how i would have the number and account number which i HAD to have if i wanted to cancel or find out information on the account anyway. I was also told i had 7 WOKING DAYS TO CANCEL. What is a work week?, Monday through friday. Correct. NO it is now Sunday through Saturday. I received my letter on the Nov. 30. By regular mail. So I my mind, seven woarking days if until Dec. 2. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, because their work week is Sunday through Saturday. So they get to keep my $60 dollers because I did not cancel within
7 working days. What a scam. Even coming on the web page there is no phone umber to be able to contact them.
Stephanie
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   FPB2 0 Votes
I'm wondering, as you all should be, how did they get your credit card information in the first place, if you did not give it to them. I don't know how things work in the U.S., but in my country I would not expect to have my credit card information shared with some unknown third party who then notified me that I had subscribed to something that I hadn't.

So where are they getting your information from? Maybe from some phishing site? I would cancel those cards, if I were you!
 3rd of Jul, 2010 by   sam123456789 0 Votes
The nature of Gulf Coast Readers seems to be downright sneaky, based on my experience and (almost) all of yours. Those who are satisfied with this service... I don't really have much to say. The people who call claim they'll take your name off the list since you show absolutely no interest in the "opportunity". But then, what do you know, they call again. And again. Finally, while the receptionist rudely speaks over you and refuses to answer any questions in a direct manner, you wonder if it's worth just hearing them out. Maybe then they'll stop calling. The way that these people explain this magazine thing is cryptic. And that's the point. They want to screw with you and make you sign up for something they know you don't want or want to hear about. On top of it all, at no time EVER was I told that in addition to these magazines I apparently signed up for, I'd be getting a million promotional magazines that I do NOT want showing up at my house and filling up my mailbox. I get Latina, Bass Fishing, Parenting, Good Housekeeping... WELL GEUSS WHAT! I'm an ultra white 21-year old beer drinking, sloppy, never-do-the-dishes kind of girl. I don't have a kid. Don't want a kid. I'm not Latin. I can't speak Spanish. And when in the hell would a girl from San Francisco buy a bass fishing magazine and for that matter a subscription? Answer me that, Gulf Coast. You are incompetent.

How to Protect Older Americans From Fraud