logo

Safecart
Internet Defender
2. (31 mins ago)
Taradale registry
Bad customer services from staff/ owner/manger
3. (37 mins ago)
Fubar.com
This site is one of two of the biggest "scam sites" that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with
4. (44 mins ago)
FRAUD, CHEATING

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

GREAT AMERICAN READERS, Pompano Beach, Florida Complaints & Reviews - THIS IS FRAUD; no existing number to cancel!!!

GREAT AMERICAN READERS Contacts & Informations

GREAT AMERICAN READERS

Posted:    D J W

THIS IS FRAUD; no existing number to cancel!!!

Great American Readers, LLC.
P.O. Box 666840
Pompano Beach, Florida
Phone: 1-866-704-5419
This company scams people into giving them a debit card number so that they can take out $49.90/month (WHICH THEY DON'T TELL YOU) but instead say that they will be sending you a "Gift Certificate" to shop online for $1000. They twist things around like saying that you're getting this because you're in the military, so on and so forth. They don't mention that you will have over $900 balance for some magazines that they never send you. And no, they don't send you any gift certificates either. The number they provide to cancel has no live person at it. It is a voice recording and there is no way to leave a message to complain or cancel, it just hangs up.
Once they realize there is no payment coming out (because people will file a claim with the bank on account of fraud), they call and that's when you can speak to a live person. They like to arrange "payment plans" and start bargaining with you!!! They absolutely refuse to cancel anything and say that you basically signed a contract. When asked if they are BBB accredited, they say yes. I've looked into it...THEY ARE NOT BBB accredited! They are rude, hang up on you, and bargain to get any type of payment.

If you were contacted by this company, make sure you don't fall for this scam. If you are already having trouble, try these steps:

* contact your bank - cancel payment and file a claim.
* file a police report
* report the fraud to BBB
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

20th of Jan, 2009 by   Coolbreez +2 Votes
I received a phone call in evening today, 1/20/09. They said I have been selected for shopping spree 1000$ free gift certificate. Then they said they will also send 5 magazines, visa-master card company has paid the fees for 60months. And the operator told that her supervisor will call to check her attitude and that conversation ended there. After few min, so called supervisor calls back, explains more detail and they start asking to pay 49$ for the subscription, which is actually around 3$/wk but i have to pay it in advance so i do not have to bother about paying 3$ every week for magazines. Meanwhile, i have been asked for info like my age, DOB, address etc. I asked about their company name which was " Great American Reader'. They said they are in florida. The biggest hint came when they asked my credit card no. I said i am not comfortable giving that. Then lady explained me that they are valid, certified company otherwise Visa and Mastercard will not support them. Still i did not agree to give credit card info. She tried to explain further and meanwhile the lady from the first call start talking rather then the supervisor who start conversation. At that time I realize that something is wrong. When I said third time that i will not give credit card no. they hung up before i complete the sentence. That was the big indication that it was scam and i am realizing now that how slowly i was going to be put in bottle and ripped off of money. I search internet and found this and thought of witting this to aware other people.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   Bob Jenkins 0 Votes
I just experienced something similar. the phne number attached to this company is a florida area code 954 229 1079. They are tricky adn if you're not careful you've been conned inot paying 1000 dollars for a free 1000 dollar shopping spree. How that makes anysense im not sure but to hell with them!
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   chris -1 Votes
this customer paid on thier account
 18th of Mar, 2009 by   Ella Frye 0 Votes
Yes, the same thing happened to me regarding magazines. At first, I said I was not interested and tried to hang up, but they kept interrupting me. I was sucked into giving my debit card number and was told that it would be charged $39.90 initially with lower payments after this. However, it is $39.90 for TWENTY months. So, in essence, I have now paid more for things I don't want than if I would have bought them at the store.

Today, I tried to cancel the order and was told that it is not possible to do so because I entered a legally-binding contract. All they did was lower the payment with installments, but I am not able to cancel. This makes me very angry because I just signed up for medical insurance, which I really need and now I have this additional account over my head for things I do not need.
Ella Frye
 25th of Mar, 2009 by   mahonebr 0 Votes
The same thing happened to me as well. I gave them all my information and was told i would only make one payment of $49.90. On Monday, a manager called me and explained my payment was overdue and that the company was going to file a complaint against me unless payment was made. I tried to cancel the entire thing and he said I could only do so once all payments have been made. He tried to say I could lower the payments with installments and that I could contact the 1-800 number if i had any more questions. The number does not work and the man was extremely rude on the phone when he spoke to me. I wish i had not been so decieved when I first signed up for this nightmare.
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   dpoit88 0 Votes
Well lucky everyone has posted this! They called me today on 4/14/09 and gave me all the same information similiar to all of this. I was a sucker and gave them my debit card number. The idea didn't sit with me for some reason I was blindsided thinking of the shopping spree. I then decided to look this "great american readers" and read of this fraud . I tried to call them back a few times when I got no answerI called my bank and got my card cancelled right away. Then not even 20 minutes later they called me back to try and verify some information. I played dumb and asked them why they needed to run my card now when they said they wouldn't untillI choose my magazines and they gave me some kind of runaround. Then I told them I actually decided to not go through with it and when they asked me why in a VERY RUDE MANNER and I simply told them I was on to them and I know that they are fraud and not to my surprise they hung up the phone immediately! So thank you to everyone leaving these comments I didn't lose any money so I hope if anyone reads this and they call you, you take this advice. It's not a joke.
 30th of Apr, 2009 by   jen25 0 Votes
I am actually dealing with them now. I spoke to them a little over a month ago. They took two payments. Then I cancelled my credit card. They have called numerous times in a day looking for a payment. I finally picked up and told them that I wanted to cancel. They told me that I couldn't. I asked when they called me to begin with if i could cancel. Of course they said that I could.
Today, the moron that I am tried to make a deal with them so this would not go against my credit. I gave them my new number but hung up before they could record me. I talked to my mom who looked up this site. I called my credit card company right after and cancelled my card again! Meantime, they have called me seven times since then!
 8th of May, 2009 by   Clarissa +1 Votes
I am also dealing with them right now. they have taken in total $100 from two different accounts... long story but now my mom is helping me cancel my credit card so those people cant take anymore money. but the thing that really pissed me off was that they said they would put in a claim and then hung up on me! they were rude and disrespectful. i cant believe people actually do this for a living...trying to cheat people with money and credit scores. i wish someone could do something about this.
 19th of May, 2009 by   ANGEL +1 Votes
They called my cellphone telling me I won $1, 000.00 of online shopping spree because my bank (Navy Federal Credit Union) entered me in a contest. They knew the last four of my credit card and wanted to verify that it was me before they sent the money that I won. I believed them. They asked for the full credit card number, name printed on the card, the expiration date, my DOB and my address. They told me that for approximately $3.00 per month, I can get 5 magazine subscription for 5 years, but I have to pay the full amount in 20 months for $49.90/ month. I agreed and they recorded me. I called them back to cancel and the phone that they called me from was disconnected. When I got the letter from them, I called the number and it was a recording and you can't leave a message. I cancelled my card. I called numerous times, and nobody answers. They finally called today (5/19/2009) and they said the card is not working. They tried to get a different credit card number from me, but I told them that I have been trying to cancel for 2 weeks and nobody answers the phone. They rudely said that they just got a new system and that people call and cancel all the time. I told them that I want to cancel and they said they can't because I had agreed and they recorded me. They tried to tell me that they can lower the amount I pay so that it won't go to my credit report and I told them that I had read about their scam and that I'm reporting them. They became very rude and said that because I was being difficult, they were going to add more fees and report me and then hung up.
The following are more numbers that's linked to them:

954-493-8382
952-852-6711
800-269-4179
877-244-0816
 5th of Jun, 2009 by   corry.pa +2 Votes
I just got a call from my daughter how is at college and they got her . she is new to these things and is so upset. I have called her credit card and tried to call the number they provide but as you all know they don't answer. you know it seems that the government can bail out all these companys but they cant seem to get these bad people off the backs of innocent people
 16th of Jun, 2009 by   amj19110 +1 Votes
I have been dealing with this problem myself!! I am a 20 year old single mom and when they called me I was on the verge of losing my job, so of course my dumb self fell for it!!! I made 1 payment of 49.90 and then my bank had cancelled my cards due to a negative balance that was was over due. They would call every week and i tried to cancel and they said i had 14 days to cancel and i was beyond that point. I didnt find out about this being a scam until yesterday...I had told they guy i was going to the bank to put money in and that I would call back and make a payment of 20 or 25 bucks...and they number they gave me was a machine..the guy sail i had till 10pm to call bak b4 they closed for the night, i called at 8pm and it said they were closed...why would anyone be there till 10pm in the first place??? for magazines? weird!!! well i then googles "great american readers" looking for another number and i cam across multiple websites talking about this scam!!!

9am this morning 6.15.09 he called me talking bout my payments b4 he sent it over to collections...its been like a month and a half...no one send anything to collections that quick!!! I canceled my comcast and it took them a year b4 sending my past balance to collection, and comcast is a tough cable company and they dont play around with the bills ...anyways, i told him that i tried to call at 8pm last night and said they were closed! I told him I googled their company and found nothing but cam across multiple websites talking about their scam. I told him im not paying them & I am on to their scam. He said if I googled Jesus im sure I would find him as a scam as well!!! How the HELL can you compare your company to Jesus??? Like how dare you!!!
He said his company has been around for 20 years!!! RIGHT people gonna pay 900 for 1000 gift card for online where i have to pay for shipping and tax, and what did u give them b4 the internet came out???

About 2 hours later I then called my phone company had my number changed, Called my bank and had my debit card cancelled!!

If they were lagit they would have called me back when I hung up on them!!!
I feel so dumb that I fell for this!! I still cant believe it!! But You learn from your mistakes and you move on!!!

What makes me even more mad is that fact they they called me & I explained that I lost my job Im a single mother bout to have to move in with one of my parents because I cant afford my apartment anymore and I really needed to cancel, and they said that wasnt their problem...How can anyone be soo heartless!!!

The guy I talked to this morning I talked to yesterday, He said he can search my SSN number and see if I have a job and they can call my job and garnish my wages

Im sorry for everyone has fallen for this!! Just change your number, cancel your cards and move on with your life!!! Im hoping this will make it stop..I feel like a total a$$ I dont even wanna tell my parents.

Good Luck to everyone =D
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   beware of satan 0 Votes
I have read the above comments and they are all true. We have experienced the same things as the others. This company claims that you have won a shopping spree however, that is not case. We were sent a bill for $49.90 and and remaining balance of $948.10. When we tried to canceled Chris Marx the owner and manager stated that we were beyond the 3 day period and that cancelation was not going to happen. We requested to speak to someone else. Chris stated that we would just get routed back to him beacause he handles the files. Then he said we could agree to a settlement. Of course we said no. We then search the net and found these complaints. Beware
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   RASCLE COLO +1 Votes
THIS CAMPANY IS BULL SHIT RECOMENDED ADVISE NOT TO EVEN MESS WITH THEM PERIOD!!! iTS BEEN ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF SINCE INITIAL CONTACT HAVE NOT RECIEVED ABSALUTELY NOTHING AND HAVE BEEN CHARGE AROUND 5 TO 6 HUNDRED DOLLARS PLEASE ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO TAKE THESE GUYS OFF THE MAP ID DO SO!!! MONEY GRUBBEN THEIFS!!!
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   AllyMarie23 +1 Votes
THANK GOODNESS for all of you!! My boyfriend was literally giving his number away when I quickly searched the company's name. Because of this sight, my boyfriend immediately stopped and explained that we knew this was a fraud. The man became VERY rude and accused us of only wanting the $1000.00 dollars and then canceling immediately and that he doesn't want people like us representing his company -- how unfortunate!
 16th of Jul, 2009 by   gonza_sting 0 Votes
This company contacted me with the same story. I fell for it. I then began to recieve a bunch of magazinez I did not want or ask for. I never actually stated the magazines I wanted. I then began to receive all kinds of magazines. Their offices would constantly call me about the magazines, I never actually picked up until one day. I wanted to cancel and they were incredibly rude and stated that I had to pay the balance before I could cancel. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she stated the same thing. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, www.bbb.org. Within 6 days of filing the complaint, I received a letter from an entirely different company called Blue Whale, stating my account had been cancelled and my would not be charged. My only problem right now is the letter states the cancellation is as of 00/00/00. This of course does not say anything. I have emailed Better Business Bureau and will call Blue Whale to make sure my account is indeed cancelled. I urge everyone to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau. It is effective and our right as consumers. Much luck to everyone and remember...if it's too good to be true than it probably is not true.
 17th of Jul, 2009 by   eclypse 0 Votes
I got a call from them a few months ago. when I realized they were a scam, I cancelled my card and moved to a new bank. They recently called me and said I owe them 700.00 dollars still which i don't have. I'm living on my own and I'm poor. 10.00 dollars an hour doesn't cut it. I don't even have money for food. When I told them I didn't want this, they said I had a legal binding contract that I never was told of. Now they keep harassing me. what do I do to get them off my back with me owing them money?
 17th of Jul, 2009 by   barefootfairy42 0 Votes
new # with this mag/1000 shopping spree co. (770)293-0152 hung up as soon as I asked for everything in writing wish i could catch these scum bags, don't know how they live with themselves!
 28th of Jul, 2009 by   ChellaBelle 0 Votes
Thank God I checked this! I'm a 19 year old college student with $5 to her name who doesn't know how she's can afford anything but Ramen noodles for the upcoming semester. When they called me, I spoke to a guy named Charles and was SO excited. I had clicked an ad on facebook a few days ago and tried it, but ended up quitting in the end; forgot about it. But tonight when they called I was like WHOOP WHOOP! I'm going to actually get my house put together and some nice clothes for parties and interviews. I gave them my birthday, said I worked on campus, said I had a VISA, on and on, just general questions. They had me sold "You can get Glamour, Vogue, Cosmopolitan..." All for 3.89 a WEEK. It was just to good to be true. Then this Charles character transfered me to his "supervisor" who then asked me questions and such. And I was still all giddy, praising God, thinking LUCKY! And then he was like "Your card number begins with 4?" and I answered, not thinking. Then he said, "And the rest of your numbers". After telling him that I'd rather not risk my whole bank account and ruin my credit for a shopping spree that couldn't exist, the man, Michael, became very suave, and gave me numbers, a town in Florida, on and on. I told him that I would have to check his website out and everything and for him to call me tomorrow. Boy can I not wait for him to call me back! Who are these people, messing with poor college girls? That's just not fair! JERKS!
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   Amandammg 0 Votes
THEY ARE ABSOLUTLY CRAZY!!! they got me i am young i called the 866 number and asked to cancle they say all they can do is reduce my payments to three more and close the account. i am now not thrilled but at least it will be cancled i made them send me writting of all that. i did find them on bbb they are not accredited i will file a complaint and see if it goes any where
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   BETHef 0 Votes
Wow. This is so crazy. I'm experiencing the exact same thing as everyone else! However, i got a "deal." I was getting the special offer of 25 dollars a month. I called back the sales person that same day to cancel and he told me I couldn't cancel. So I canceled my credit card instead and filed a dispute to get my first payment back. Then I started receiving phone calls a month later about how my second payment wasn't being processed. I told them I wanted to cancel, but they said I was past the deadline of 3 business days. I also didn't receive any paperwork in the mail that they said I would receive. It's been over a month. They said I would get it in 7 days. The first person I talked to was named Stephanie and she was extremely rude. She told me she was going to add fees to my bill just to raise it and forward it to be processed so it would ruin my credit more and then she hung up on me. I called back to talk to a supervisor and he was just as rude. I called back to get a website and that man started yelling at me to get me to listen to the recording of my phone calls. The weird thing is, they keep claiming that the numbers are only outgoing, but I called the first salesperson back and spoke with him and I called the company back with the number that showed up on my caller ID and they answered. They want to make you feel like you are the crazy one and like you aren't remembering things correctly. When I told them that they were scamming me and I was filing a complaint with the attorney general, they got very rude and started yelling at me. This company is not legit! DO NOT FALL FOR IT LIKE I DID! I wish I would have Googled them before I ordered so I would have seen this site! It's the first one that pops up and it's awesome! anyone who reads it should really remember this all! They are frauds and should all be put in jail...or slapped!

How to Prevent Foodborne Illness