logo

Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
4. (38 mins ago)
Weiss Comestic & Laser Procedures Blepharoplasty
Terrible/Horrible Asymmetry eyelids surgery (blepharoplasty)
5. (46 mins ago)
Web Wise Media
Web Wise Media SCAM, HOAX, RIP OFF

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Great American Reader Complaints & Reviews - Scam-magazine subscription+ Shopping spreefree gift card

Great American Reader Contacts & Informations

Great American Reader

Posted:    Coolbreez

Scam-magazine subscription+ Shopping spreefree gift card

Great American Reader
I received a phone call in evening today, 1/20/09. They said I have been selected for shopping spree 1000$ free gift certificate. Then they said they will also send 5 magazines, visa-master card company has paid the fees for 60months. And the operator told that her supervisor will call to check her attitude and that conversation ended there. After few min, so called supervisor calls back, explains more detail and they start asking to pay 49$ for the subscription, which is actually around 3$/wk but i have to pay it in advance so i do not have to bother about paying 3$ every week for magazines. Meanwhile, i have been asked for info like my age, DOB, address etc. I asked about their company name which was " Great American Reader'. They said they are in florida. The biggest hint came when they asked my credit card no. I said i am not comfortable giving that. Then lady explained me that they are valid, certified company otherwise Visa and Mastercard will not support them. Still i did not agree to give credit card info. She tried to explain further and meanwhile the lady from the first call started talking rather then the supervisor who start conversation. At that time I realize that something is wrong. When I said third time that i will not give credit card no. they hung up before i complete the sentence. That was the big indication that it was scam and i am realizing now that how slowly i was going to be put in bottle and ripped off of money. I search internet and found this and thought of witting this to aware other people.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Feb, 2009 by   mmmyummegan 0 Votes
I got the same call last night (2/4/09), except they were from Tennessee. They told me I had been entered from one of my credit cards, and wanted me to verify the numbers on them, and said they didn't need the 3 number security code on the back, because I wasn't making a purchase today. They also knew the first number of my cards, so I thought it was real and "verified" the credit card number. Well, I called my bank, and they had tried to charge my card twice for the $49 amount. Lucky me didn't have any money in the bank, so it got declined. I tried to call them back this morning to cancel everything, and when I called they said they were in Kentucky, and were talking like I never talked to them yesterday. I said I didn't want the magazines, and they said since I already agreed to it, I couldn't cancel. So instead I canceled my credit cards, so I hope this whole thing just blows over.
 4th of Mar, 2009 by   goalie81 0 Votes
Wow, I recieved the same exact detailed call tonight on 3-3-09. They did say they were from Florida also. They were going to charge me $3.83 per week but also wanted an up-front fee of $49.90. They too asked for all of my information and I got really hesitant. I also could not figure out why several people tried calling me back to back. The first lady on the phone said that I would be hearing from their supervisor, and she did call right after. That was very strange, and her phone number was totally from a different state than the first lady that called me. I don't know if this is a for sure scam or not, but it sounds like one to me. If there is anyone out there that has any other info please post. Thanks.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   Vanessia 0 Votes
So.. I just got the call as well. The number looked like a Massachusetts number because of the area code but I wasn't sure because they didn't say where they were from. But the lady called and said I won a free $1000 shopping spree gift certificate because I was a good customer and selected recipient according to Visa, Mastercard, American Express, etc. Then she asked if I had one of them. That's when I got suspicious. S
he pretty much gave away that she didn't know which one I had or even if I did have one. She asked for my D.O.B and Occupation. Then told me that the gift certificate would be coming in 3-5 days and asked if I wanted a special magazine subscription. $3.83 per week?!? I said no way and then she started explain how it was a limited time offer and all the benefits of having numerous magazines for that amount. She also said that if I went over $1000 dollars I would be charged for any of the amount above and tried asking for my credit card number. I told her again I wasn't interested then she simply said " bye" and hung up. Just to let others know, the number I got calls from was 508-244-4209. I've tried calling the number back previously because they've been trying to get a reach of me for a few days, but it doesn't work when dialed. Anyways, just beware and don't get scammed.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   Texas caller 0 Votes
Ok, so I just got a call 2ish hous ago. Silly me. I was always taught to be wary about these sort of things. Unfortunately I was so worried about my papers due in class tomorrow, that I was too distracted to care. The supervisor I talked too seemed very honest, so I did end up giving her my card number. First, I'm a hella poor college student, so It's not like anything is in my account. Except u know, my tuition money. So I freaked out, called my bank and placed a block. I didn't trust it enough.
FYI... My people were from Florida, and I just realized the number was under "unkown". They also told me i would be entered into a sweepstakes.
 15th of Apr, 2009 by   monkeybus 0 Votes
SAME THING HERE... I started seeing that $49 charge ripped from my bank, had my credit card number changed and had the bank reimburse me and they have called me every single day since then, multiple times a day. They are relentless. Does anyone know how to stop these!??! They said I had verbally agreed to this and unable to cancel the subscription, however I never received any Online Gift Card Voucher, nor did I sign up for any magazines, but have recently started receiving some random publications to my apartment. Help!!!
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   Betsy 0 Votes
Ok, so I feel really stupid because I was scammed by these guys also. It all started with a guy named Steve. Hey called to congragulate me for winning a place in a drawing sponsored by Visa and Mastercard. He sounded really nice. Within the drawing would be cash prizee, trips, and money. That sounded nice, but I really never believe in drawing and all. Then he asked me to stay on hold in order to talk with his supervisor. I was to tell his supervisor how great of an employee Steve was, because he was new at this job. Well the supervisor got on the pohone talked about Steve for two seconds then went on to pitch magazine subscriptions to me. It started off all free, then went on to paying 4.99 a week for four magazines. I said that is fine I can afford that, so then he go my debit card info out of me. After that he pitched the idea of me paying 69 dollars up front for all of my subscriptions. I told him that I was not sure that I had that money, I am only a college student with a limited amount of funds. They took that money anyway. I then called my mother to tell her about my mistake and she told me to call and cancel it. So then I searched the internet for the company and found all of this negative feed back. I then called my bank and changed my debit card and issued an investigation. I felt so stupid. But they have very common lines that I noticed that they use with everyone, like if you have a visa account they will say oh your first number is a four right. Well every visa card begins with four. Then they offer a diamond watch with your prizes. They also have some way of having to find their supervisor or their supervisor makes this sudden appearance that gives you the chance to speak with them to inform them how great of an employee they have. Just watch out for this scam. I was very stupid and feel ashamed for what happened.
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   slyasianfox 0 Votes
I had the exact same thing happen to me. I got a call from this number: 7709052902 who said she was a med student who just started working for this company from Atlanta, Georgia. She pressured me to accept magazine orders, asked what my occupation and address was, and said that I was a finalist in some sweepstakes because of my VISA/Mastercard. She asked me which one I had, which I answered stupidly and also told me they had 33 prizes in the sweepstakes and they would give me $1000 in grocery vouchers every month if I got the magazines. I asked her to send me information but she said that I couldn't because I'd have the vouchers already and it wasn't fair to the company. I told her fine because she called me early in the morning and I was half asleep so she said her supervisor was going to call me to set up the details since she was new. When her supervisor called, I just didn't pick up and they have called since. The supervisor called from 678-914-3062 which if you put in google returns more of these similar scams.

I never gave them my credit card company but I wonder if they have enough information to figure stuff out. Do you guys think I should call my Credit Card company?
 19th of Aug, 2009 by   mamers 0 Votes
Oh man! I just fell for the same thing.. The lady called said I won $1000 online shopping thing, and the whole thing about the magazines and everything.. I gave her my card number and everything and they already took out the money! Even when hey said they wouldn't. By reading everyone else's stories it's weird that just about everyone there is new, and that they all ask how the person was.. How can I fight this is there is a recording of me on the phone(verbal contract)? I didn't know it was a scam! Did anyone actually ever get what they were promised besides the magazines?
 28th of Aug, 2009 by   get them back 0 Votes
call this number 352 688 3761...it's there office number that they actually pick up to. I did some research and let me tell you the customer service to this place is something else
 28th of Aug, 2009 by   Almostconned 0 Votes
888-279-9221 and 866-499-1332 are also numbers that these con artists use. They called me and said I won a $1000 shopping spree and tried to get me to order some magazines for just under $4 a week. I thought its sounded good to get 6 magazines a week for less than $4 especially since they mentioned Reader's Digest; which I like. Still it seemed strange that I should have to buy magazines to get a certificate for a shopping spree that I had already "won". I asked the woman for a website I could go to and look at this information on my own time. She wouldn't give me a website. She stated that her supervisor would give me the info AFTER the transaction. I hung up. She called back from the second number and tried to reel me in some more. Her supervisor got on and told me what a great deal this was and all the things I could buy with my $1000. HE told me my Visa began with a 4. (Duh! All visas begin with a 4.) He wrangled the expiration date out of me. Next he went for the kill and asked for me to "verify" the remaining numbers on my Visa. I hung up and turned off my phone. Needless to say; I will be keeping a close eye on my checking account for the next several weeks. Beware! Never give out your Debit/Credit number over the phone!
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   Burn In hell.....No ice water 4 you 0 Votes
It is a federal offence for any telemarketer to call your cell phone for one. Second fuck there verbal contract, you can not record half of a conversation and expect it to hold up in court. I say enjoy the free magazines and fuck these people. If anyone has a law suit it would be you guys.
 27th of Oct, 2009 by   Sue Sue 23 0 Votes
Oh my gosh... this just happened to me!! Well my naive daughter in August got the same phone call. She's 19 and was really excited. They told her that she won a $100.00 shopping spree. However, when I wasn't around anymore they called her back and said they had to verify her cc number. After we started getting these magazines (she was bewildered to say the least) I got on the phone with these people. They were deragatory and totally offensive and hung up on me. They said it's a non cancellable service.

Did any of you give your social security number? I don't know if she did or not. I can't believe how freaking rude these people are!!!
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   gooser1120 0 Votes
My husband fell for the same scam. It is a total ripoff, and when I told them to cancel the order they said that they couldn't. Well...needless to say I have just notified the BBB and got the numbers to reach the attorney generals offices in both Minnesota and Florida. I will be calling them when I finish this. Also, Great American Readers and Select Your Gifts (.com) are working in tandem on this. In order to "use" the $1000 shopping spree, you have to pay for shipping on EVERY item you order and the stuff looks like it came from a dollar store and not even worth what you have to pay to have it shipped. Plus they have the right to substitute any item ordered - so you no guarantee you will get what you order. I figure it would run at least $400 in shipping PLUS the $950.00 for the magazines!!! NO WAY! Do not fall for this SCAM!!!
 6th of Dec, 2009 by   austintx 0 Votes
Someone called me from 763-230-7682, saying they were from Midwest Publishers Home Office, to tell me I won a $1000 shopping spree...wanting to verify information (age, marital status). Skeptical about this, I asked a lot of questions. The first man I spoke too seemed out of breath answering trying to make me feel silly for asking questions, because who asks questions when you get a free $1000 shopping spree?! ...Turns out, you will supposedly get a $1000 gift certificate to a select number of online stores, but will still have to pay shipping and handling. They ask you your credit card carrier preference, then they tell you the first digit on your card (they know this information because they are "partnered with the national billing service and the major credit card companies"). I was informed I would receive a release in the mail that I would return to receive the shopping spree (to verify its being sent to the right place). The lack of professionalism of the this caller was one warning light...never before been asked out by a telemarketer (who said they were not a telemarketer, they were strictly prize giving) I was then was transferred to a supervisor who took a confirmation number from the first guy, and he wanted me to give him my credit card numbers "to verify the billing address" so that I would be signed up for a special subscription to 6 magazines for 60 months at $3.45 a week that they would automatically charge and withdraw monthly from my account. I said I wasn't comfortable giving out my credit card number to a company I'd never heard of and asked if they would send me the subscription information in the mail...this is when the supervisor's voice went from impatient to rude...and I hung up. What a scam.
 8th of Dec, 2009 by   zebra kitty 0 Votes
Sadly, these people are still doing this.

Last week they were making calls claiming a person won a $1000 gift card from purchases made using their Visa or Mastercard on Black Friday.

They deduct that money right away. No sooner had my friend called me about that uneasy feeling we were online checking the bank account and it was already a pending transaction...

Christmas time is always a difficult period to understand someone may be evil, but during this recession is especially daunting.
 23rd of Jan, 2010 by   CardinalGhost 0 Votes
Hey Zebra Kitty, What did u friend do to get out of it, because i sorta feel for there scam!
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   EmLe1222 0 Votes
Geez, if i wasnt here at work, i soOOo would have fell for the scam!!! the exact same procedure happened to me just about 30 mins ago. Fortunately, as i was about to grab my card info, i got swamped with phone calls so i couldnt stay on the phone with the "supervisor" so I asked them for a call back number, and he said he was calling me from the computer or something and that i couldnt call back - he's supposed to call me back. But once he calls me back, no way am i going to give him any kind of info! I wonder if they have our credit card numbers to pursue what their trying to pursue anyway?.. Well, im just glad that i decided to Google this while i was taking phone calls at work!! Whew!
 26th of Feb, 2010 by   plain stupid 0 Votes
I was looking on my emails and saw i had won a 1, 000.00 gift card. So ithought it was the one i enter from a Walmart receipt . So i answer all there questions and gave numbers that i should have not done' when it is all said and done it was going to cost me 49.90 a month. They sent me a paper saying i needed to sign it in order to get my gift card which turn out to be one to use off the internet.I did not sign it or mail it back. Call my bank and had payments refuse. Now i receive call some time 3 or more times a day. They also have been calling my daughter.
 7th of Mar, 2010 by   FRAUD watching Consumer 0 Votes
My son was called, An active Military Soldier, and he fell for it. We reported fraud, and then they called back sharing part of his recorded message. They threatened his job and pay status and Credit problems. FYI- he has had total identity theft and fraud - wondering if this company was the start of it. NEVER believe anyone who calls you...use your voice mail unless you know the phone number. Considering changing cell phone number due to MAJOR Fraud. I guess our military are not even safe.
Do not respond to GREAT AMERICAN READERS, PO BOX 20051, BLoomington MD 5540 or 866-704-5419 or fax 952-885-0555 They give out your info to other companies - so my son is receiving mass soliciation and different magazines. Total due and what has been paid is not consistent. BEWARE - and WATCH out YOUNG Adults...
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   yuholin 0 Votes
Literally just got the same call an hour ago from "Select your gifts" and "Great American Reader". Same deal--first girl introduced me to the offer and $1000 shopping spree then asked me to hold for her supervisor so that I could give her a good review. They told me my Mastercard number started with a 5, go figure. Asked me to pay $3.83/week of shipping and handling which would be consolidated into 20 payments of $39.90. This would give me 60 months worth of 5 magazines of my choice. First thing that ticked me off was that I would be paying a total of $800 for the magazines. Why am I paying $800 to get a $1000 shopping spree?? After this phone call, I talked to a friend about how sketchy this all sounded. I called my credit card company, told them the situation, and they locked down my card effective immediately. All my card account benefits and terms are the same, but they will be issuing me a new card number. My advice is--since we don't know if these people already have our information, if you get a call, watch out for any suspicious charges on your debit or credit card accounts. If you accidently told them your card information already, call your companies and have them take care of it. I also tried calling these people back, the numbers don't work.

How to Buy a Digital Camera