Unlike most of the complaints on the internet boards I was an on ground student at Grand Canyon University and was attempting to get my BSRN. I was enrolled in school BEFORE the Apollo College merger and I have to say that the time at the school pre-Apollo was actually quite good. I had a couple REALLY brilliant professors including one who was a lead microbiologist for humanitarian missions to 3rd world countries to help with vaccinations and pandemics. However after Apollo came into the picture the school all the good teachers were either fired or unable to teach the material they wished to thus the whole system went to hell.
I know that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to file claims against private schools however there were a few incidents which occurred during my time at the college that I personally feel are beyond the legal protection blanket of the "private college" title. Please let me know if it seems like I have grounds to file...
1) When I started school at GCU I was told VERBATIM by both a nursing school advisor and an academic advisor that if I started out my academic career at the school with Freshman status I would be automatically accepted into the BSRN program at the school as long as I maintained a 3.0 GPA for all of my under grad years. In order to qualify myself to be a freshman I didn't transfer SEVERAL classes and paid to retake them at GCU so I could qualify for the automatic enrollment bonus. Upon hitting my senior year I met with the nursing school advisor to sign up for classes (I had met the 3.0 requirement) however I was not only told that my GPA was not high enough to enter the program (so I needed to retake classes) but that there was never an a promise of automatic entry into the program with freshman status and a 3.0 GPA. So basically they lied to me and forced me to pay to retake classes I had no need to take and then revoked a promise they had stated upon enrollment. My mother, father, and emails can attest to their statements.
2) While I was enrolled in the schools mandatory "Ethics" class I was participating on the online weekly discussion board when the topic of euthenisation came up. Of course it is controversial however I stated my views honestly and logically in order to get credit for the assignment. It was then that the professor personally replied to my post comparing me to "the unholy nazis who ran gas chambers in Auschwitz" and continued to go so far to inquire if I was "one of those baby killing pro-lifers". May I remind you that this is THE PROFESSOR???? I reported this to the school and nothing was done.
3) While I was enrolled in the schools "Christian World Views" class online I was mandated to work online with another student to finish an assignment. When I contacted that student at first I wasn't able to get a response, to which the professor stated "I was not trying hard enough". Finally when I did get a hold of the student after doing much of the work on my own the student then stated to me if it would be cool if he just bought a paper online to turn in as our assignment...I was NOT about to get screwed for participating in plagiarism and turned him in to the teacher and to the school. Nothing was done. He was passed and the teacher said nothing.
***This might fall under whistle blower category***
These actions took place during my time working in the GCU offices/call centers
1) Students who were employed by the school to contact people who were "interested" in GCU were suppose to be removed from the lists when they requested to be removed but they NEVER WERE, students also called phone numbers before their legally allowed time zone time, and called people who were on "do not call" lists.
2) I PERSONALLY saw and was even offered to pose as a GCU graduate WHEN I HAD NOT GRADUATED for the purposes of recruiting more students, the school was also offering the position to people who were not attending GCU. Another position offered included going onto webpages posing as a GCU representative and responding positively to any and all negative feeds regarding GCU.
The actions of GCU make me sick and I am glad that I was able to get out of the school with all of my class credits in tact HOWEVER there are several students still trapped. These are just a fraction of the horrible things I have dealt with concerning GCU however I don't feel that anything else is able to hold up in a legal fight. Please let me know if you believe that I have ANY grounds for a suit! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
PLEASE REMEMBER I WAS AN ON GROUND STUDENT!!!