logo

Posted:    alvin o

leak in indoor coil 2years old

goodman
Florida
i have a goodman aircondition unit in a new home it is 2 years old in jan 2010 and the indoor coil has a leak and after checking i have found this is a normal complaint about this product .they give you a coil but you have to pay to replace it i thing goodman should pay everyone who has this problem and do the repair free
Comments United States Contractors
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

6th of Dec, 2009 by   pasco bill -3 Votes
I am a Goodman Dealer and have been for many years. Their warranty only covers the parts not the labor for the work, unless you bought an extended warranty that covers parts and labor. This should have been offered at the time of installation by your contractor. If it wasn't offered, it's your contractor that failed you, not Goodman.
 23rd of Sep, 2010 by   NOT A HAPPY COSTUMER 0 Votes
Our Goodman heat pump, and the Indoor air handler it's 1 year 6 months old back on July 2010 the out door unit check valve was replace cost $ 8OO. On September 20, 2010 The indoor air handler COIL unit has a leak, Labor cost for replacing this DEFECTED UNIT $525
I think goodman needs to address this problem and pay for the replacement, we are looking in to file a report to the attorney general so they can file a class action lawsuit against goodman.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TYPE OF EQUIPMENT FOR YOUR HOUSE .
 27th of Feb, 2011 by   Danny1976 0 Votes
When Toyota had a recall, they paid for the part and replacement. Goodman doesn't want to call it a recall, but it is. They made thousands of defective coils and they just want to warrant the part and not include the installation. They made defective coils they should also pay for the labor. The coils on my unit leaked within the 1st year.
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   MTMartin 0 Votes
I have had problems the last 3 years on my Goodman unit, which is less than 5 years old. Have also contacted Attorney General siting 215 complaints I have found regarding Goodman and their lousy products. A class action lawsuit seems the place to start since they will not stand behind their products. My issue with them is, get this, that I need a receipt for the purchase to prove the date it was installed. Does a receipt prove an installation date? Better yet, does a receipt come with the purchase of a new home for the a/c unit? This is the worst company I have ever dealt with and I will be sure to let everyone know about how dishonorable a company they are.
 11th of Jul, 2011 by   JBinAL 0 Votes
I too am another victim. New construction with 2 new heat pumps. Primary unit (4Ton) needs leaking coil (several spots identified) replaced in less than 6 months. Must have been leaking from the factory. Please advise how I can assist with the AG and any class action law suits. Currently out over 1k on repeated recharged and now coil replacement. Installed an all Aluminum coil. What is everyone's opinion on Aluminum verses copper coils?
 17th of Jul, 2011 by   Corrections 0 Votes
I'm having my Goodman unit repaire as I right. Fornunately it can be fixed without the coil being replace, now..After reading all the complaints. I'm keeping my options open to replace units and go with a well known reliable manufacturer
 19th of Aug, 2011 by   Armchaircmdr 0 Votes
I purchased this house new exactly 3 years ago and today I my Goodman copper coil replaced. The leak started only a year and a half after I purchased the home. I had the technician fill the unit and do a leak check, but the leak was still too small to detect. This summer the leak was finally large enough to warrant a replacement. The technician informed me that there have been a large number of their customers that have had to replace the coil after three years of service, Three other people in my neighborhood had their unit replaced this month also. The company that replaced my unit has has such a problem with Goodman that they stopped carrying their products. I paid $515 for the warranty/upgrade to their aluminum coil. For Goodman to not cover labor and freon is almost criminal. They obviously know there is a problem. There needs to be a class action lawsuit against Goodman.
 3rd of Nov, 2011 by   WpO 0 Votes
Well here is another unsatisfied customer of Goodman. We have now had the coils replaced 2x and looking at a 3rd time. Their field Rep came to our house to inspect the defective coils this time and yes you guessed it. Coils bad not install!!! The last replacement coils cost us over $400 and we expect that to be reimbursed by Goodman. Don't sit back and let this company rip you off for their defective merchandise! Can you say class action...
 6th of Nov, 2011 by   Jerry Murphy 0 Votes
I had a house built about 5 years ago and the 5 ton ac heat pump that was installed was nothing but problems not even a year in the compressor went, thank God for warranties. Every year after that it was problems leaks etc. when it was 4 years old we were asked if we ever thought about replacing the unit by friends of ours that own an A/C business. When the house was being built and the a/c units were installed a problem was noticed Goodman does not make a 5 ton unit so i was told by Goodman that they took there 4 ton unit and put a varible speed motor and a larger valve to flow more refrigerant, this is there 5 ton unit. So my friends helped trying to talk to Goodman and they did not listen they insisted ther modified 4 ton unit was there 5 ton unit. Well with the inside unit working twice as hard as the outside it was a matter of time. Every year we had leaks till finally the inside coil opened up like a pin cushion and would be $1300 to replace and when the tech changed the out side compressor not even a year in he over heated the valve causing the o rings to be melted so that had to be replaced at $300 so between the cost of both plus not having a warrenty and the given the track record of this 5 year old unit we replaced the unit for $6000. As the unit was being replaced with the new unit with a 10 year bumper to bumper warrenty the tech could not believe how bad it looked inside, I have seen 20 year old units that looked better, the inside handeler was loaded with rust and the insulation was just hanging down. In conclusion i will never buy a Goodman unit or recommend one and everyone I know that has one has the same complaints poor quality, leaks and how much they spend every year to fix it. It is rediculous to replace an inside and outside unit after only 5 years and be told after 4 that we should think about replacing the units.
 11th of Mar, 2012 by   Tony U. 0 Votes
In 2009, I bought two new 4-Ton Goodman A/C systems for my house and had them installed by a certified technician. Precisely after one year, one of the coils developed a leak, and a couple of months later, the other coil developed the same problem.

The technician who replaced my coils was the same technician who installed the original units. According to him, Goodman continued using older coils which were designed for R-22 Freon on their newer units which "required" R-410A Freon. The newer Freon works under higher pressure, and is very corrosive, which could result in leaks if used on coils which were designed for R-22.

I seriously think that a class action lawsuit should be brought on Goodman, in order to cover all of the expenses their customers have had to incur due to Goodman's recklessness. They had to have known this would occur. They probably ran the numbers, and it was too expensive for them to recall the units.
 11th of Mar, 2012 by   Jerry Murphy 0 Votes
I could not agree with you more about the class action lawsuit, it should be pursued, to run a product that you know will have a problem or to use a component for something or a chemical in a pressure situation that it is not intended for is pure negligence. And for a company to intent to pass the cost of their negligence on the consumer is not acceptable!!! They (Goodman) can write off on their taxes recalls and and other expenses as losses we the consumer cannot !!! How a company can get away with this is beyond me, everyday when I go to work I am held accountable for my actions. How this company is not held responsible for theirs again is beyond me. My final word is full speed ahead with the class action lawsuit!!!
 26th of May, 2012 by   Dan6789 0 Votes
I am waiting to have my Goodman A-coil replaced in my 3.5 year old heat pump. I'd better get this done now because I only have 1.5 years left on their "no pay for labor" warranty. That applies to the compressor too. The compressor should have a lifetime warranty but the original installer neglected to register the system within 60 days of the install and didn't tell me anything about me having to do it. This unit was installed in a new house. How is a home buyer supposed to know about the "you'd better register the unit within 60 days or your screwed", gotcha? Oh yes. The installer failed to show me any warranty papers. He said he left it in the house after he did the installation. A house still under construction. I never saw any warranty papers or had a clue about the 60 registration window. A home buyer expects all that to be taken care of. It wasn't. I called Goodman customer service and explained the situation. No dice. Their response was essentially 'Tough luck. You missed the window. Sorry. Can't help you.'. You'd think they would understand and restore the full warranty like a good company and take care of their customers, but no dice. Though luck. I'm screwed. They won't help me. Needless to say, I will never use Goodman products ever again and will steer others away from Goodman. They had their chance to make things right and avoid a bad customer review like this but, though luck. They blew it. Now they're screwed with this bad review. For all the good it will do.
 4th of Jun, 2012 by   tmac71 0 Votes
2 Goodman split systems installed in late Nov 2010. One system already has evaporator coil leak. Made it through ONE summer?!?! Goodman is offering to only replace the copper units with new aluminum ones. This is practically an admission of the poor original design. They need to be held responsible for their negligent actions. I am checking into class action now.
 22nd of Jun, 2012 by   TONY VEN 0 Votes
WARNING TO ALL CUSTOMERS . JUNE 2012.
HERE IS MY FINDINGS WITH GOODMAN BRAND AIR CONDITIONERS
I HAVE TWO GOODMAN A/C UNITS IN MY HOME. BOTH LESS THEN THREE YEARS OLD. BOTH THESE UNITS NEEDED CHARGING SERVICE IN LESS THEN 18 MONTHS. THEN THE PROBLEM WAS DISCOVERED ABOUT 18 MONTHS LATER WHEN IT NEEDED TO BE CHARGED AGAIN.
WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS TO BY THE THE GOODMAN UNITS. THE FEW DOLLARS YOU SAVE AT FIRST YOU WILL SPEND IN A YEAR OR LESS ON THE EVAP COIL WHICH THEY HAVE TROUBLE WITH BEFORE AND NOW, MOST LIKELY FOREVER.
THESE UNITS SUCK AS YOU CAN READ ABOUT HERE AT THIS COMPLAINT CENTER.
I LIVE IN VENICE FLORIDA AND MY A/C COMPANY SHOULD NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY GOODMAN IF THEY WANT TO STAY IN BUSINESS.
TONY V.
 21st of Jul, 2012 by   MikeMan811 0 Votes
I live in a brand new condo and every unit has Goodman A/C units installed. My first problem occurred a little before 3 years, in April 2012. It was a really hot for some reason that weekend so we turned on the a/c and nothing but warm air was blowing out. After having a Goodman service tech come out, they discovered i had no pressure in my condenser. They put in more freon with a dye to help locate the leak. I had them back a month later to see if they could find the leak with no success. 2 months later i had them back again to try again. They found the leak VERY easily out of the coil. The part is covered but not the labor! The tech told me that Goodman released a newer coil a few months ago because apparently they know about the problem. This company NEEDS to stand by they're product. I shouldn't have to spend $1300 on a unit that is only 3 years old! I would definitely be interested in a class action lawsuit to get me my money back!
 23rd of Jul, 2012 by   sworkman 0 Votes
I have joined the group of a leaking evaporator coil. Instead of paying for freon to "get me by until the part comes in", I shut the system down, 90 degree weather, for 4 days. Thank goodness I have an old window unit to get me thru in one room. I can't see spending a ridiculous price for freon only to have it leak out again, and then turn around and pay for more. This is Goodman's failure and I think they should have to pay for all repair cost including labor and freon. This system is only 4 years old and I am having to pay an outrageous amount that I don't have. I hope there is a class action lawsuit. I will be interested in it.
 26th of Aug, 2012 by   RealtorMarcy 0 Votes
Goodman absolutely sucks! Sign me up for a class-action suit. We've had problems every year since we had it installed & this week we're replacing the coil. This crap company needs to be shut down!
 29th of Aug, 2012 by   mwood2278 0 Votes
I have a goodman a/c unit in my brand new condo which I have lived in for 3.5 years. Me and many other residents have been having problems with the leaking freon and the coils. I have called a HVAC repairman now 4 times. I have to replace the coil for $1400 and Ive been told the contractor never registered the product (all though my neighbor had his registered). What a piece of junk this a/c system is.
 31st of Aug, 2012 by   joesmosax 0 Votes
I've got the same problem. Unit is 3 yrs old has been leaking for months. Now the coil needs to be replaced- Labor not covered. Not sure I even want the free parts if I'm facing this problem in 3 years again...
 9th of Sep, 2012 by   Brenco 0 Votes
If anyone is really interested in gonging after Goodman, read and understand the Magnuson-Moss Act, each person’s complaint is unique and dependent on the circumstances of the consumer purchase, however within the FTC is your answers, along with the support you need, use your rights under the federal guidelines to apply pressure to the proper point, and Goodman will buckle. That said, the FTC also has authorities well beyond Magnuson-Moss act, sometimes you have to file your complaint specifically directing them to a particular ruling, I will say this, Goodman does have issues, however, all the HVAC companies have issues regarding the warranties they apply, note the fact that if you bought your product via the internet, 99% of all manufactures void warranty or severely limit warranties, yes Goodman shows a great warranty on their website, so do most others, read the fine print, search the websites for the internet sales policy, in fact Goodman implies a major objection to internet sales, all about life, limb and safety, but is also the largest and most saturated HVAC sales on the internet, maybe they figured out a way of cheapening the price, maybe escaping millions in warranty claims over time, you think maybe its time to amend your warranty rights to include social media sales. Pressure people, apply pressure 1 877 382-4357 file a verbal or written complaint.

Nigerian WIFI Scam