logo

Aynur Arife Yorulmaz
Been cheated by Private Immigration Service in Qubec
3. (11 mins ago)
Freelancer.com
This company is unreliable and pointless
4. (11 mins ago)
Loansplusmore.co.uk
Scammers
5. (11 mins ago)
Freelancer.com
Account closed, stole my money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Global TelLink, Denver, Colorado Complaints & Reviews - Terrible service!

Global TelLink Contacts & Informations

Global TelLink

Posted:    Valerie

Terrible service!

Global TelLink
Denver, Colorado
Phone: 800-231-0193
I was not surprised to see all of the consumer complaints against Global TelLink. I have have many negative experiences with this company. Over the past couple of months, I have been dealing with issues with my credit card being declined although I have money in my account for the charges. Each time this happens, the funds are still held for several days in my bank account and I do not have access to my money.

I have called this company multiple times. I sit holding each time for at least 15-30 mins only to spend 1-2 hours on the phone with agents that are unable to assist me. When I ask for a supervisor, I am put on hold for lengthy time frames and I have also been hung up on.

I have requested escalations and apparently their agents are trained not to escalate situations. Instead, they hang up on customers and place them on hold forever. I have never dealt with a company like this. In addition to not being able to talk to my husband for several days, I have had a 'horrible' experience dealing with this company just trying to pay my bill.
Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Jan, 2008 by   Daniel 0 Votes
I agree with you on this. The company is an absolute scam of immense proportions. I call and am on hold for AT LEAST 45 minutes each time. I am never given any information that is remotely helpful.

The employees of this company are rude, I've been cursed at, hung up on, called names, laughed at, and one even said that I was wasting his time before hanging up on me. There are no supervisors at this company and all they do is take your money. They monopolize the industry as they are the only ones that allow calls to your phone and their word is law.

This company has illegal business practices and deserves to burn in hell.
 13th of Jan, 2008 by   Shannon +1 Votes
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way about this company. I am actually in the process of making a complaint with the Better Business Bureau just because of the stuff they put me through.

I was getting calls from my finance for about 2 months before I started having major problems with this company. First it started with them declining my card even though there was money on the card because I would keep calling the bank just to make sure. Then it started with me not receiving the calls at all. GTL told me that it was a rerouting problem with my phone and that it had to do with my phone company. Well I called my phone company and they did their job (unlike GTL) checked everything out made sure that I did not have a privacy block on my phone and so forth. They got back to me in about an hour and told me that my phone is fine and that it had to deal with GTL. This is just the beginning! I had to have made 10 calls a day for about a week now to GTL just to try and get this issue resolved. Every time I call I'm put on hold for about 20-30 mins then transfered where I get put on hold for about another 20-30 mins where I eventually get hung up on. So of course by now I'm highly p**sed off and then mention the word "lawsuit" thats when I get a call from a "supervisor" who tells me that it's going to take 7-10 business days for them to resolve this issue. I asked her if that all it took why couldn't they have done that from day one instead of putting me through this, then I asked her to speak with someone higher than her. She told me that I should call back later. Well I said that they would be hearing from my lawyer and then again I was HUNG up on one more time.

This company needs to be taken out of business for GOOD!!
 22nd of Jan, 2008 by   KC 0 Votes
My first problem with this company was calling just to get information on the prepaid account option. The message said someone would call me back...it took more than the two hours they said it would. Then the information they gave me was incorrect. I had been billed through my local phone company. Then all of a sudden I was told I can only have a prepaid account. Nobody could tell me why. So I did the prepaid account and a week or two later it was back to being charged on my phone bill. I didn't understand what was going on but instead of me calling to find out and being on hold for over an hour I just let it go. Then I was told that every time I make a call it would tell me how much money was left on my prepaid account. That never happened. Somehow I had to keep track. One time I called and got through in a record 15 minutes. Gave my credit card information and was told my card was declined and I had to call back in 24 hours. I took a chance and called back that night and the guy told me I had to wait. I insisted he try my card again and of course...it was approved. Turned out the woman I spoke to in the morning either couldn't understand what I was saying to her (I can't understand them half the time) or she got my credit card info wrong. I have had nothing but trouble with this company. Then they have a recording that gives a number to call for complaints...yeah right. That department doesn't even exist. What they need to do is take some of the money from our outrageous charges and update their website so that we can prepay online and won't have to deal with them....this is THE WORST customer service I have ever had....I can't wait til my husband comes home!!!!!
 27th of Jan, 2008 by   american prisoner 0 Votes
Try the unlimited calling at www.americanprisoner.info and www.kaiserslauternamerican.info.
It is 125 USD monthly and you can call any phone with an 866 number they give you.
 28th of Jan, 2008 by   mumin 0 Votes
What people does not understand is that they are receiving calls from somebody who is IN PRISON, IS A PRISONER. Oh my God... IS SOMEBODY WHO HAS DONE SOMETHING AGAINST LAW! I repeat, is a prison, not a kinder garden. Thank you
 1st of Feb, 2008 by   katia Ukstin 0 Votes
Global tel link is the most poorly run business and the worst customer service that I have ever experienced. The staff are not trained and no nothing about handling problems. Shame on the prisons for doing business with such losers.
 1st of Feb, 2008 by   Sharl 0 Votes
F*ck prison! There has also not guilty people.
I hate Global Tel Link - very bad service and community!
 5th of Feb, 2008 by   Amanda Lane 0 Votes
I'm glad I'm not the only one out there. I've been experiencing the same problems with GTL and it's ridiculous.

I've been trying to pay my bill for about 2 weeks now. First of all, I try to pay my with my credit card. Long and behold they didn't accept my credit card, eventhough it had money on it and it was a Visa, which they said they accept. They gave me a round about explanation that didn't even answer my question. Then, I finally got my statement in the mail. They have a new way to pay through Western Union. So, I went down, did the Quick Collect Western Union, paid the $9.50 to send it and on the statement it said it would take 4 hours for the payment to be posted and the phone unblocked. I checked after the 4 hours, they said they're having problems with the system and for me to wait 24 hours. Well, it's now 24 hours later and guess what my phone still isn't unblocked. They told me to wait another 24 hours. Now, what was the point for me to do the Western Union that was only suppose to take 4 hours now going on 48. They said the information on the statement was wrong, okay these people at GTL are obviously not the sharpest people, plus most of them don't speak English, so they don't know what the hell they're talking about. I'm so frusturated with this company, it's nothing but a rip off and they don't know how to conduct business. The prison's really need to find another alternative.

Yes, we're dealing with prison's and prisoner's but that doesn't mean a company has to be so dumb about things, oh and it's Kindergarten not Kinder garden. Now who needs to go back to school.
 6th of Feb, 2008 by   kayl 0 Votes
This company is horrible. My boyfriend was locked up on Monday when he tried calling GTL intercepted. We do not have a house phone, only cell phones, so I had no choice but to go through GTL. When I received there first automated message, I called the toll free number right away. I called from 6 am until 10 pm, each time I called there was a recording telling me that they were having an unusual amount of heavy calls, they were sorry, but to call back, then they would hang up. That same message played all day! Then I wake up 5 am today to make sure that I get through, come to find out as soon as the call went through it was an automated system that gave me the number to the prepaid department, now im like what the hell why was that number not left on my voicemail instead of a number that was not going to be answered. I call set up the prepaid in 5 min! Then I called the main number to get an explanation of what I bought, I was left on hold for over an hour, that is no lie and no exaggeration! I was then told that that my boyfriends calls would begin to go through as soon as the bank cleared the payment. I called the bank, since my boyfriend is an employee and asked if there could be an expediated service in processing that payment, then I was told that no GTL had to withdraw the funds and they had two days to do it! So now im still getting these automated messages calling me because my boyfriend is trying to call me and I did all that was asked of me and Im still not getting any calls!
 8th of Feb, 2008 by   sharon grover 0 Votes
I also have had bad vibes from GTL-those who had their calls intercepted were lucky-my son was unable to call for weeks-when I first tried to prepay to setup acct. I was told I couldnt prepay until my son tried to call me they would intersept call and then I could set up acct. Well my son still got blocked phone messages two more times I finally got bill prepayed Then they tried to give me a hard time because I am paying for a phone number that is local to my sons home prison-GTL did not want me using this number and blocked it,My son then had to call the reg. no. which cost more.After countless times (on hold 1 hour) one day and I even went 2 days leaving my no. every 2 hours and thgey never called back,but I finally got thru and got an American and she unblocked the first number. There is a place to go online to pay and see your account it iswww.correctionsgtl.com enter your phone no. and your pin. By the way guys BBB has countless complaints on this co. GTL has never responded.
 26th of Feb, 2008 by   Rachel 0 Votes
I never had a problem with GTL until last night. I used to get regular calls from my boyfriend, who's in jail, and after about 5 weeks I got a phone call from him but this time I had to set up a prepay account using their automated voice system. Well, I did this twice without a problem. However, ever since last night, my boyfriend has called me countless times, not knowing what's going on, and it says that my card was "reported lost or stolen". Besides the fact that I know it's not, I checked with my bank and they said it wasn't true. I used 2 different Mastercards and 1 Visa and it said the same thing for ALL of them. On top of that, the automated voice message system would repeat the card number back incorrectly, repeating some numbers twice. It would repeat back incorrectly EVERY time, so 1-2-3-4 would be repeated back as 1-2-2-3-4 or 1-2-3-4-4. I tried at least 20 times last night and another 15 times today. If it got past that (FINALLY) it would ask for my security code twice and go to asking for my zip code, then go back to asking for my security code again twice and kept repeating this process!

I've been calling all day but a recording keeps telling me that they're experiencing an "unusually high-volume of callers" and to call back later. And from what I've read, it seems like talking to them won't even make a difference. I feel so helpless.
 7th of Mar, 2008 by   Jessica 0 Votes
This company is a straight RIP-OFF. I filed an online complant with the utilities commission. Hopefully I will get a response from them and get an investigation started. I never had a problem with my phone bill until GTL took over. MCI was a better service provider.
Maybe if we spread the word to the utilities commission, mabe they will rush to investigate. Here's the site if you choose to file a complaint.
 11th of Mar, 2008 by   R. Crutcher 0 Votes
This Company is a joke! Today is 3/11/08, I have been calling since 2/26/08. First to get a recording that says we are experiencing high call volume, try back. Then I get a recording thats says someone will call you back within 2 hours. Afterwards to get someone to call back who says a Supervisor will call back in 3-5 days. Well, that has not happened yet. I continue to call to start this madness all over again. I have been billed twice for the same calls which were accepted in Dec. 07. Why are the same calls on my Feb bill? This Company should not be in business. They have rude customer service reps who can't assist you. Why are these reps answering the calls? Now after 11 days I get this rude rep, who says its not them it must be the phone Company who made this error. Whoever is to blame, I have yet to have a supervisor contact me back. Oh yeah, I have faxed, called and emailed this complaint, still no response. Still Waiting...
 19th of Mar, 2008 by   Serra 0 Votes
These guys are idiots... too bad they are the only cell phone through jail call providers. I provided them with their initial 25 dollars PLUS however much "connection" fee they ask for, which is like 7 bucks, and it got me a 15 minute call, plus a 2 minute call. What a damn rip off. I ended up getting a house line just for the jail calls, which are still expensive, but much cheaper if your significant other is going to be in for the long haul. What I don't understand is when they call you and you no longer have any credit, they ask you for your information, and you go to type it in, they never accept it- and then they hang up on you. Then you have to find their number again, open up the account, and wait some odd days for it to go through and then for your person to call you back again. What the hell?
 22nd of Mar, 2008 by   Cincinnati Boy 0 Votes
Global Tel*Link is HORRIBLE!!! I never had the problems with EVERCOM that I have with this company. Everything that is said in these complaints is ABSOLUTELY TRUE because I have experienced all of them myself. Numerous calls getting the recording "Thank you for calling Global Tel*Link. We are experiencing and unusually high call volume, and cannot take your call at this time. Please try your call again later". Numerous calls being referred to their "automated callback system", and no return call. Numerous calls sitting in queue for up to 40 minutes, only to be hung up on when the call is answered. Numerous times having my Credit Card declined when there was over $500 credit available, and after this, having my line blocked for "too many Credit Card attempts". They list themselves on their website as "The Industry Leader in Inmate Calls". This is ABSOLUTELY false advertising. There's no possible way that ANYONE ever told them that they are the industry leader. I never even came CLOSE to having the problems when this was still MCI MAXIMUM SECURITY as I have had with Global Tel*Link. Quite frankly, I don't see how they're still in business. My guess would be only because customers have no other choice.
 28th of Mar, 2008 by   Angie 0 Votes
I agree, a complete rip off I paid 50 dollars and recieved 2 calls. This is bull and they should not be allowed to rip people off like this. I think the wives of inmates are suffering enough financially, now Global Tel*Link wants to charge a rediculous amount to talk to an inmate. It takes forever to talk to a real person to get time on your phone. Don't be stupid like me and pay for this, there needs to be a more reasonable company to take over and charge a reasonable price, it is rediculous.
 28th of Mar, 2008 by   g. well 0 Votes
i would like to know how a company outside of the usa is responsible for every prison call made in the usa. there should be other companies to handle our needs. i'm never able to talk to an american and it is very hard to deal with customer services workers i can barely understand. and i think there website is a hoax because i have never been able to access it. we should have chooses in what telephone company we use. and the company should be within the usa. why should jobs go to people outside of the usa when all revnue is coming from citizens of the usa. it is unfair to everyone.
 7th of Apr, 2008 by   Kelly M 0 Votes
This is complete bull@!?%! After reading all these comments, I am not surprised about what I'm going through, and I feel worse that this is only my first night dealing with this company. My mother in law and I both tried setting up an account with a total of 4 different cards, all of which were denied. Then I spent AN HOUR on hold, never being told, by the way, that there was a high call volume, just that "my call would be answered in the order that it was received, only to be hung up on!!! My poor boyfriend doesn't even know what's going on because he can't get ahold of anyone, he thinks we just won't pay the money or something. My mother in law even has a landline phone and her phone company won't accept calls from jail, we have to use this service. I am so pissed off that I can't breathe, and I don't care if these people curse at you, if I ever get through, even just once, these people are going to hear a mouthful from me. I know that people have already complained to the BBB, but I'm going to as well, it's the only thing we consumers can do. Hopefully soon they get the message and people won't have to deal with this bullshit ANYMORE!!!
 9th of Apr, 2008 by   Vince T. 0 Votes
I totally, TOTALLY agree with each and every complaint posted on this site. This company IS A RIP_OFF!!!
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   N.C 0 Votes
This company is horrible! When I first started dealing with them they told me there was a limit to the amount of calls I could recieve in a 30 day period but they lead me to believe that this was a monthly limit that would reset every time I paid my bill. Later I find out that this is THE limit and if it is exceeded you must go prepay no exceptions. What kind of crap is that, now I am on a prepay account and I lose more calls with GTL then I do on my cell phone! When I called to get credit for one of the many dropped calls I have had the woman actually told me this..."don't talk on a cordless phone, loud noises in the background can cause you to lose a call, the tv can cause you to lose a call, if you whisper you can lose a call, if you raise your voice or yell you can lose a call, if the person on the other end makes any loud noises you can lose your call. " So in other words if you don't live in a bubble that is completely void of noise, you can lose a call! What kind of crap is that! She went on to tell me that I could also lose a call if I have call waiting and someone beeps in even if I don't attempt to answer the phone, so I needed to tell anyone who may call me not to call when I am expecting a call from my husband! Then she said that they won't give me credit for dropped calls that are more than 5 min. in length, or caused by anything I did! Can you believe this company! Gotta go they finally answered the phone and I am going to give them an ear full. Well holy cow! I just got off the phone with the friendliest woman, she was so helpful and respectful, she actually cared about the issues that I have been having with their phone system! She even gave me credit for a call that was over 6 min. which is against company policy. She was so apologetic and sympathetic, I am in shock! She even said she would say a prayer for my family. Usually I get someone who treats me like dirt as if I don't deserve to be treated like a productive law abiding citizen because my husband is in prison. They usually treat me as if I am a liar and a cheat, they see me as part of the criminal element, trying to get something for nothing. Nevermind that I am in law school full time and raising 3 children under the age of 10 without any outside help at all, to them I am trash and they don't care to deal with me because my husband is in prison which means I must be a lowlife liar and a cheat who is trying to get something for nothing.
After my phone call tonight this is what I have learned... if you don't live in a bubble you could drop a call and they may not give you credit for it. They usually won't if it is after 6 minutes, and I don't think that is legal I am going to talk to my professor about that, maybe a class action lawsuit would get them to address all of these complaints. IF YOU HAVE TO PREPAY DON'T PREPAY WITH A CREDIT CARD! THEY CHARGE YOU A SERVICE FEE FOR USING THE CREDIT CARD AND THEN THEY CHARGE YOU TAXES FOR EACH CALL ON TOP OF THAT! PLUS YOU CAN ONLY MAKE PAYMENTS IN CERTAIN AMOUNTS. IF YOU MAIL THEM A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER THERE IS NO SERVICE CHARGE SO YOU SAVE $5-10 AND YOU CAN PAY AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOU WANT! I have been making payments of $25-50 dollars several times a month with my credit card and I pay the service charge each time. I added it up and that is $70 in service charges just for this month! That is highway robbery! Western Union also charges a fee for their quick collect money transfers so you are spending extra money there too. So IF YOU HAVE TO PREPAY, MAIL THEM A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER!!! It will save you money and you will have a paper receipt of your payment that is harder for them to dispute. When you call them even if you want to be nasty because you are mad and they are being hateful, be nice, the more hateful you are the less likely they will be to help you (this is what the lady told me tonight). They can pull your calls and listen to your conversations with your loved ones to verify if the call was dropped or if you or they hung up. If you get someone who is nice, calmly tell them your frustrations and tell them about the numerous complaints that you have read online about problems other people are having with this company, if more people's complaints are heard they might be forced to do something about it. The woman I talked to tonight asked me if she could make a copy of our conversation and take it to THE supervisor to see if she could help me further, then she said she would put me on her call back list and let me know what she finds out! If your interested I will pass on any information I find out. One of the earlier posts suggested sending complaints to the utilities commission at this website http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/puc/ I STRONGLY AGREE! They can't ignore us if we speak out together!

Samsung Mobile Unpacked - CTIA 2011 Conference Highlights