logo

TruTech T600-D DVD player
Broken at 7 months!
3. (5 mins ago)
Foopets.com
Joining this site will result in disappointment and frustration
4. (22 mins ago)
Rite Aid
false advertising
5. (27 mins ago)
FAIR COLLECTION AGENCY
THEY HAVE info on my credit report that I know nothing about

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Georgia Power

Posted:    jemone2005

Smart Meter

Tucker, Georgia
We recently were "upgraded" to the new smart meter. The first bill we received was about thirty-five dollars above average. I thought this might be an anomaly. I decided to go easy on the air conditioning. Then Georgia experienced horrific flooding. My bill then jumped to $290 for one month!! My bill used to average $160 or so dollars. Let me explain, my bill was $160 with my thermostat set at 65 degrees and on 24 hours a day! Now my bill is $290 dollars with my thermostat set to 78 degrees. Seems very peculiar and down right crooked. Now I have completely turned my thermostat off. I do not even plan on using the heat in the winter, for fear of another "dumb meter" inflated bill. Power consumers beware, they are out to rob us!!!

Georgia Power

Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Nov, 2009 by   Tom Baxter 0 Votes
My kilowatt reading has more than doubled in the three months since the smart meter was installed. This month my bill is $206, compared to $78 a year ago. Realizing that this wasn't just a case of running the air conditioning too much, I finally called yesterday and was basically kissed off. I was told the reading can't wrong, that the new meters just run "faster" than the old ones. They are having someone check the billing and supposedly getting back to me, but after a night's sleep, and checking on what the average kilowatt usage is for a single family home, I think I will be contact the Public Service Commission.

Wish I had done it sooner.
 9th of Jan, 2010 by   irritatedcustomer 0 Votes
We had a smart meter installed in dec and just got our first bill which is $476.00 and we keep our heat at 50 degrees and turn all lights off when we are not here, our bill has trippled with the new meter! We have a small three bedroom house and keep our heat minimum because we can't afford a huge bill, this is ridiculous, who do you recommend contacting to rectify this situation? I feel like Georgia power is trying to raise peoples bills just because the temperature dropped! I'm extremely frustrated!!!
 27th of Jan, 2010 by   SCOTT GODIN 0 Votes
I LIVE IN A SMALL HOUSE ALONE ONE BEDROOM WITH A BATHROOM LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN. MY BILL RAN $60 IN THE SUMMER AND $80 IN THE WINTER I WAS TOTAL ELECTRIC BUT AFTER MY BILL JUMPED TO $211 & $238 I CALLED GA POWERAND THEY SENT SOMEONE TO AUDIT MY HOUSE BUT COULD NOT EXPLAIN THE RAISED RATE SO THEY PUT A SECOND METER ON MY HOUSE AND MY BILL DROPPED TO $75 FOR THE 2 MONTHS IT WAS ON MY HOUSE BUT TO THIS DAY NO ONE HAS GIVEN ME A REASON WHY MY BILL WENT UP AND FLAT OUT TOLD ME ONCE I PAID MY BILL I COULD NOT GET ANY MONEY BACK. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN FIND A WAY TO DEAL WITH GA POWER I HAVE ALREADY CONTACTED THE FAIR TRADE COMMISSION THAT WAS WHEN I GOT A PHONE CALL TELLING ME THEY WERE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING ELSE.

SCOTT GODIN
 10th of Feb, 2010 by   a sengel 0 Votes
we had a smart meter installed around christmas and since then we have had this incessant beeping that is tremendously annoying, especially at night when we're trying to sleep. we contacted GA Power about it for over a month and initally they seemed to be helpful but now they say that it's our problem and we have to pay an electrician to come to our home and check it out. i'm in strong disagreement w/ this as we did not have this problem prior to the smart meter installation. when the dials are turning you hear the beeping, but when there's no movement there's no beeping. hard to believe it's anything else causing it...
a sengel
 11th of Feb, 2010 by   doddsilla 0 Votes
I have had the same experience. I know it's been pretty cold the last few months, but our electric bills have doubled to over $600 for the last two billing cycles. I have a smart meter, but don't know when it was installed. Has anyone gotten anywhere with GA Power customer service? I've seen reports on TV of people with abnormally high bills.
 10th of Mar, 2010 by   Ameriwatt 0 Votes
Here is the solution to the Smart Meters that are being installed throughout the United States not just here in Georgia. We are a new corporation to help reduce your energy bills at least 25% GUARANTEED. Power companies have found a way to charge more using these Smart Meters to accurately read your energy usage...the appliances you have in your homes can be 'energy hogs' if they are not Energy Star rated. So what does a family do if their appliances aren't Energy Star appliances? Buy new appliances??

We have the solution...and it is GUARANTEED. If you do not save what we offer, you get 100% of your money back...no games. Please visit my site to learn more and please let me know if you have any questions...I would like to be able to help everyone experiencing these hikes and find ways to help them save:

Dennis Jocson
Ameriwatt Corporation
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   doddsilla 0 Votes
I got a response back from GA Power on why my bills have been so high for the past three months, and it may be the fix for a lot of people with the same problem. The GAP representative said that the rate on my account was set to Residential - General(GR) instead of just Residential. She said my rate was switched when my SmartMeter was installed in November. She also said the keys for Residential and Residential-General in the system are really close together and easy to mess up. She took a look at our February bill and said with the Residential-General rates, our bill was at least $200 too high. They agreed to go back through our bills since the new meter had been installed and give us a credit. I hope this helps anyone else out.
 25th of Mar, 2010 by   Tom Doiron -1 Votes
Smart meters are not just an updated replacement for your old meter. They utilize an entirely different method of measuring your household's consumption of electricity. We taxpayers are paying for this through the federal money that is being given to the electric utilities to install and use the smart meters. The government and utility companies are doing little if anything at all to educate the public about this new technology.

In a couple of weeks or so, we will have a 14 to 16 page, informative booklet that will help you get smart about smart meters. Contact us if you would like to receive a free copy.

Tom Doiron
Tom.Doiron@gmail.com
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   CAREY DAVID +1 Votes
I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TYPE METER GA. POWER INSTALLED AT MY HOME BUT MY BILL AVERAGES 400 TO $430.00 A MONTH FOR A THREE BED MOBILE HOME THEY (GA. POWER) KEEPS TELLING ME THAT IT MUST BE AN APPLIANCE OR TOO MUCH LAUNDRY OR THE HEAT BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER AND THAT MY BILL HAS BEEN THE SAME YEAR AFTER YEAR WHICH BY THE WAY SHOWS THAT IN THE HISTORY ON MY BILL BUT I PAY MY OWN BILL AND I KNOW I HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING MORE THAN $150.00 TO $180.00 A MONTH I HAVE INSTALLED A GAS LOG IN MY FIREPLACE AND MY BILL DO NOT REFLECT ANY CHANGE!
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   Tom Doiron +1 Votes
Carey,
With the hot weather coming, your bill is only going to get bigger. We can help you save money on your electric bill. Please contact us at the email below.
Tom.Doiron@gmail.com
 3rd of Sep, 2010 by   CZRMBA +1 Votes
I received my 1st bill in June after the installation of the smart meter in May and it was $320. My 2nd bill was $323. I called Ga Power and was told they would send some one out to do an audit which of course they found that everything was working OK. I explained that it can't be right. Ever since the new meter was installed my bill more than doubled. Now, I understand that the summer months the bills are normally higher. But this is more than $100 more than my normal summer rates. Well, I thought that once the kids started back school and was no longer home during the day, my usage should decrease. 2 out of the 4 weeks in this billing cycle, they were in school. But my bill is even higher - $332. I called Ga Power again. Now they are suggesting they do an energy audit on my home. I explained that nothing has changed in my home except for the smart meter. I am left feeling that it must be my problem. They say they want to satisfy me but not really because they are insisting there is nothing wrong on their end. I think it's very coincidental that my bill more that double after the new meter was installed.
 4th of Sep, 2010 by   Eddie38 +1 Votes
I have the same problem with the smart meter. Ever since it's installation I have seen a dramatic increase in my summer bill. I have serviced my AC, changed my PROGRAMMABLE thermostat, set the temp to operate between 80 - 84 deg and still bill remains at $400. Compared to the summer before with my settings at for 77-79 deg my was $283
 8th of Sep, 2010 by   pointer +1 Votes
All: I have a smart meter at my house and saw an increase like many did. I even paid to have my meter independantly tested only to find the meter was not the issue. In fact, talking with the company that tested my meter, the meter is rarely the problem. 99% of the time the meter meter is accurate.

While the technician was at my house, he helped me find the issue buy using a simple amp meter. We turned off all breakers and watched usage go to 0. We turned on one breaker at a time. When we turned on the HVAC unit my use tripled. It turned out my heat strips were running the same time the AC was on. this caused the unit to run triple as hard to cool my house. The technician mentioned that he has gone on over 50 meter audits and found issues in the house 49 times.

Doing more research, I have found if your usage is the same from the same perioud last year taking into account any new LCD (major energy hogs) Tv or hot tube additions, you have a billing issue. Billing issues happen. If your usage sky rockets, you have something wrong in the house. it is all abou the KWH.

I am emphatic to your concerns, I am concerned also, but I took it upon myself to learn what was going on. My bills are higher due to the weather now and not a malfunctioning HVAC unit. Learn about heating and cooling days and why they matter. You will be surprised what a little awareness does. My family now calls me the KWH Nazis at home.
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   Sand774 0 Votes
I'm having the same problems with this so called smart meter. I'm so upset and worried that i cannot even see straight when i think about it. I have complained so many times I've lost count to the Ga Power Company. Right now i have made a complaint to the Georgia Public Service Commission. You can go on their web site and file a complaint. Funny thing upon making this complaint I have been contacted by GA Power [they never called me before concerning this]. Myself and my husband were on the phone with this individual for over a hour, she went through every reason why its our home and not there meter, of course we disagreed. Which is why we were on the phone so long with this women. It felt like she was trying everything she could to get us to agree with her.[Of course we did not] The conversation ended with a crew would be out to check the area due to high complaints in that area .[ Of course we were dumbfounded it does not take a hour to make that statement]
However upon talking to Ga Power, I go on the Georgia Public Service Commission
website. I felt the need to check the status of my complaint, to only find that this individual whom i had spoke to flat out lied to the Georgia Public Service Commission concerning our conversation.All her lies or in my complaint documented in black in white. Once again i can not see straight when i think about it. She told the Georgia Public Service Commission
are compressor on are AC was not working . Which is not what was said at all! She was told numerous times that are compressor was replaced in the spring, At the start of May to be exact. My bills did not start going up until June.
So what do i do now, i made another complaint against Ga Power and this individual.I'm running out of option here, If I move it does not matter where ever i go in the state of Ga .I'm going to be looking at a high bill from Ga power. Funny thing it does not matter if you live in a small home, apartment, or mobile homes everyone is complaining. Maybe enough compalints to the Georgia Public Service Commission will raise some questions.I do know once a complaint is put in Ga Power has to do something concerning it.
However what the results will be remain unknown at this time.We all know Ga Power has deep pockets.Please note if anyone does decide to make a complaint copy the compliant in a note pad .There are a few glitchs in the system when you click next, I've had it erase 3 times on me trying to click next.You have a box at the top and one at the bottem if one does not work chose the other one and stick with it.However before you click anything after you have wrote out your complaint. Save it in notepad just in case it erases .That way you do not have to go through rewriting your complaint.
 7th of Oct, 2010 by   whtelightn 0 Votes
As for today I have had it out with GA power again. For the past 10 years wtih them, they always think that they are right. I made a complaint to the CEO and then I went to the Georgia Public Service Commission. To me they don;t help. THe GA public service commission thinks they will help consumers but I truly really doubt it. I agreed verbally to the smart meter thinking it will save me money. None what so ever. I complained about $81.00 bill since I kept my thermosat at 85 degrees. They go and tell me I need to switch my usage. What you want me to set it up at 90 degrees. The person I had it out with is in the CEO office female who claims to be with them 28 years(so what) and stating there is nothing wrong with your meter. I asked how do you know since it is behind a desk. I want someone physcially to come and refuse. I told her that the reps at the center are very rude and I have recordings. They stated I need to call her right away and so they can listen. I said what is the point when I have a recording. They said the previous recording say I was rude when in fact they were. WHERE IS THE SAYING CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. NOT WITH GA POWER. I told them with a verbal agreement is not valid and consumer should have the option to discontinue it. They stated a recording is valid. I said really. I don;t think so. I already told them it might take some time but GA power is going to make a mistake and it and when it does it will fall on them. I asked them also how come the $7.50 customer service charge is not detailed showing the customer service charge. Right now they are hiding it from consumers. I stated I am sure that most consumers don;t know this. They ask well if you want a detail bill every month will be glad to. The rep stated that it is not a hidden charge and most consumers know that. I said I don;t think so. I mean the gas bill is detailed wtih the customer service charge. Now I hear that GA power wants to raise more rates.
Again I feel that GA power thinks that they are in the right. They protect their employees in the customer service center and think the consumer is the wrong one and the consumer gets treated wtih disrespect.
Maybe a website needs to be set up and see how many complaints are against GA power and bill disputes. I am sure it is going to be overwhelming. When the smart meter took place they replaced my meter and stated that was never stated to me. She could not answer that to me but it was done. I really don;t see a huge savings with this. To me I think this is the lazy man way of checking meters from a computer and think that there is nothing wrong with the meters etc. WRONG. I THINK THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH GA POWER.
 28th of Oct, 2010 by   Tonymccool +1 Votes
We are about to go to a Smart meter int he next few months. I hope I don't have these problems. I'll try to report back.
 2nd of Dec, 2010 by   HateSmartMeter 0 Votes
GA power and the Public Service commission who allowed this to go in should be held accountable. It's a travesty to allow the power company to steal from the same taxpayers who have funded most of this. GA Power is just another Enron trying to steal all they can as quick as they can.
 7th of Jan, 2011 by   Tommie Johnson 0 Votes
I live in a 3 bedroom Apartment unit and every one Power Bills is $529.00 How could everyone have the same amount ? I unplugge my washer and dryer when I dont use it, my light bulb 65 wattin in my apartment I dont have a fire placee My apartment is toiled electriciry I dont cook I buy food already cooked . Last Novemeber my bill was $ 120.00 This month which was December is $529.00 I called Ga Power they said this Smart meter send signal to them I told t her it sending the wrong signal it might have a bug in it when you install. something it might not work properly and you the company thinks the Smart meter is right when its sending out the wrong singal it could have been set wrong and i want credit for this
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   jmwl 0 Votes
Every month since the smart meter was installed my GP bill has gone up. This months bill has tripled. I called GP and they said I have had more usage. No I have not. I really don`t know what to do. They have us right where they want us.
 14th of Jan, 2011 by   whtelightn 0 Votes
If you bill has tripled, ask them to install a test meter. If they refused, make sure you go to every supervisor and make sure you have
their names. I would then send a CERTIFIED LETTER to the corporate office and give them 20 days to respond. If not then send it to
Public Service Commission but they PROTECT GA power. If the last resort I would look into to see if a news media will take your
story. They keep saying they are lowest in the nation, I still waiting for them to provide any kind of proof showing that they are the lowest in teh nation. That statement to me is false and deceiving the consumer. Raising our bill by 14.00 this year is not considered
rates of being the lowest in the nation. I would keep fightning on this but also be careful with the reps there, they will get nasty and
be rude. They also claim that they are #1 in customer service. Don;t think so.

Pet and Puppy Adoption Fraud