logo

Sean Bradley Scammer

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Georgia Power, Atlanta, Georgia Complaints & Reviews - Additional Deposit Required

Georgia Power Contacts & Informations

96 Annex
Atlanta, Georgia
Phone: 1-888-660-5890
georgiapower.com
I have been charged a $150 deposit now for requesting extensions on my bills. My power has never been cut off, I always pay my bills on the arranged days, and I always confirm with the customer service representative what fees or negative feedback will be placed on my account due to the requests. I have never been notified this was impending. I also was told when I signed up for service there would only be a $90 deposit to receive service. When I called to discuss with them and see how I was responsible for something that was added when I'd made sure to see any penalties for my actions and this was never mentioned I was told "if you don't like it, all we lose is a bad credit customer... we're the only electric provider in your area, I hear generators are pretty cheap." I asked to speak to her supervisor (she is a manager) and she told me she was the only person I'd ever speak to, she was the end all be all for me, and that even if I tried to call back and talk to a different manager, she'd flag my account and interrupt any attempt in communications because I don't deserve to waste anyone else's time as such a bad credit person. Again. I pay my bills. I've never been disconnected, and though I have had one disconnect notice (from last December), I made an arrangement for that balance, and paid it off. Between not being informed during every phone conversation I've had with them this was happening and the service I've received when trying to figure this out, I'm not sure what to do.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Jun, 2011 by   Peregrintook310 +1 Votes
You're not a bad customer. JazzCat23, you need to be more realistic. No, average person, can pay the insane bills that Georgia Power issues out every month.

I, too, just received an extra $150 "deposit charge". I called them to dispute it, and the supervisor hung up in my face.

They're called crooks. They really expect people to pay $300 when they live in a 2 bedroom apartment, shut off all phantom electricity, and keep their air conditioner at the respective "between 77-80" setting???

Government needs to finally pass a law that mandates how much power companies are allowed to charge customers. You can't function without power this day in age, and the power companies know that. They're taking advantage of people, because we have no other choice than to live in the Stone Age or like bums. Is it fair? Hell no it isn't. No one is a bad customer, if they seriously CAN NOT pay their bill, and they only make so much! Especially since Georgia Power is a rude, ruthless company. They shut me off when I made a payment arrangement date! They seemed to have thrown that knowledge out the window, and decided they were going to cut us off anyway. I called, bitched them out, told them they were going to spoil my food, and they couldn't even have the decency to tell me when the guy was going to be back out to turn the power back on.

If you work for this power company, or any for that matter, I believe you have no soul. These sort of companies make their money robbing people.
 12th of Jul, 2011 by   jessicaKetch 0 Votes
I am in the same boat. They charged me a $370.00 deposit not because my credit is bad, but because the house I was moving into had several people who skipped out on their bill. I got service turned on around the 22nd of the month and explained to them that I receive a Social Security check each month on the 3rd. They said they would adjust the payment so I would not get behind. That did not happen. I have lived in the home for 2 years now, made 3 extensions, always paid by the extension, and I just called to ask when I would be credited the deposit. They said I would not be credited the deposit unless I cancelled my account and owed them nothing. I believe this is some kind of theft and I asked to speak to a supervisor which they refused. I asked who else I needed to speak with and they said they were not allowed to tell me. THIS IS FRAUD and I feel we customers need to get together and do something. We are being robbed. All of this welfair, gas prices, etc.. We, the people need to take stand and make them listen to us!!
 21st of Oct, 2011 by   strikegeorgiapower 0 Votes
we need to schedule a Georgia power strike! every one can do a couple of day without electricity . we have to make them lose money. that is the only language they understand!
 26th of Sep, 2012 by   staybridge +1 Votes
THEY HAVE ADD A 150.00 MY BILLS AGAIN YOU WOULD THINK THAT IF I AM HAVING TROUBLE PAYING WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT . THEY KNOW IT WILL BE PAID I NEED LIGHTS I DONT HAVE AC . BUT I THINK ITS BECAUSE WE DID NOT LET THEM PUT THE SMART METER IN AND MY BILL HAS WENT HIGH AND HIGH EACH MONTH WE ALL WORK OR SCHOOL NO ONE MOST OF THE TIME SO WHY IS THE BILL SO MUCH
 6th of Mar, 2013 by   brady1 0 Votes
Ga power is NOT a good company. If you were disconnected or had a power outage the crew members of this company are slow paced. Their crew members are certainly not alert 24/7. Waiting 3hours for power to be restored is the most difficult wait ever. I would go with another company if they had one in ga. If there was a storm one night, the power should be on the next day. Im pretty sure there are others out there that have or are experiencing the same matter. "GA" you are defining our state first off, secondly you work to satisfy georgia's customers. I will proudly say i am not satisfied with this companies SERVICE.
 23rd of Mar, 2013 by   Meathead98 0 Votes
GA POWER IS A GREAT COMPANY BUT I CAN;T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER CHARGING CUSTOMERS 150.00 DOLLARS DEPOSIT BECAUSE OF LATE OR SLOW PAYMENTS. I LIVE IN THE ROME AREA AND IS UNEMPLOYED AND HAVE BEEN LATE BUT NEVER HAVE ANYTHING BEEN CUT OFF. I MADE THE 150.00 DEPOSIT BUT WAS LATE AGAIN AND RECEIVED ANOTHER STATEMENT REQUIRING ME TO PAY ANOTHER 150.00 ON MY NEXT BILL. SO MY QUESTION IS, DO WE HAVE TO PAY THIS EVERY TIME WE;LL LATE OR MAKE A CALL TO THESE PEOPLES TO ASK FOR TIME?
 1st of Apr, 2013 by   Dabeauty 0 Votes
Ha my bill is $907.52 for 2 months of service my first bill is the disconnect notice. I don't even give a damn what they do I'm going to hook my lights illegally & when they cut it off I'll do it again I'm sick of ga power
 24th of Apr, 2013 by   User1366806618 0 Votes
Try this website to at least lodge a complaint, Georgia Public Service Commission:

*Hope this helps, I am having the same issue.
 17th of Sep, 2013 by   Alwaysdutch 0 Votes
We have constantly gotten additional deposits. What makes me so mad is that their deposits are huge. What if you make $9 or $10? $130 is huge for people with that kind of wage, but they don't care. I hate them. I thought Cobb EMC was bad, but Georgia power is by far the worst, just because they can. i hope one day they get sued for not giving a good reason what the deposit is about.
 16th of Jan, 2014 by   Koi58 0 Votes
I totally agree. I've been a Georgia Power Customer for over twenty years. A few years ago, I opened a second account along with mine with my Georgia because they said that I paid my bill on time and I qualified for a second account. ( For my daughter) My daughter moved and the second account was closed, being paid in full. Last year in 2013, Georgia Power tried to add a deposit to my bill. I called and they waived it. This year on January 13 2014, I received another letter stating that because of my being late so many times, they are adding an additional deposit to my bill in the amount of $150. I called Georgia Power and spoke with a supervisor. I practically beg him to please not charge me an additional because I told him if I can't keep up with the regular bill, how will I be able to pay a bill, plus a deposit. Keep in mind, they already have a deposit on my account for $145, but, he said that I needed to have two deposit that adds up to two months, because I am on the flat rate and my bill every month is between $143 to $145. The supervisor would not budge. I told him that I have Asthma and that if he adds the additional deposit I would not be able to pay it. I pleaded and pleaded and pleaded and he just kept saying, I'm sorry. In twenty years, I've never been disconnected and I explained to him that I could understand if I was disconnected, and Georgia Power asked me to pay my current bill and a deposit. That I could understand. Yes, I constantly make payment arrangements, but, I make sure to pay by the arranged date. I don't know what I'm going to do, because now I have to try and figure out how I'm going to pay this deposit. I didn't know that they can charge an additional deposit on top of a deposit you already have on your account. I asked the same thing. If I pay this deposit, and continue to pay late, do I have to keep paying a deposit? He said a deposit is required to add up to two months when you're always late. I told him that yes, I'm late, but that Georgia Power charges a late fee, so they are not giving me anything.. The supervisor did not care. If Georgia Power sees that you're keeping your arrangements, and never been disconnected, I can't understand why they would add another deposit knowing that you're already unable to pay the bill. I forgot to mention that when I moved here to another county, they returned my deposit. He said that they return it if you pay on time after twelve months. I asked him, Ok, , you return if the customer pays on time after twelve months and then when they fall behind, you then turn around and ask for a much higher deposit than you returned. I am going to file a complaint. It may not make a difference but, at least the complaint is recorded.. I don't know how I'm going to pay my bill of $145 plus a $150 deposit. I can't believe that Georgia Power would treat the people that pays their salary in this manner. That is highway robbery! That supervisor had no compassion what so ever!
 17th of Mar, 2014 by   angered citizen -1 Votes
i just received this infamous 150 deposit for so called being late. Ive always paid the pastdue without receiving cutoff notice unril this month after i switched to flatrate abd paid the adjusted amount where they bill me for amount not paid which was 70 dollars. Ine business day later they hit me with this. Im faxing the governor office and addressing city council on the importance of deregulation. Please join me

Avoid iTunes Gift Card Scams Identity Theft