logo

womanfreebies.co.uk
Don't buy from them
4. (11 mins ago)
dry symantec
I've been charge twice for the same product
5. (20 mins ago)
horace moseley
con man

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Georgia Power, Atlanta, Georgia Complaints & Reviews - Additional Deposit Required

Georgia Power Contacts & Informations

96 Annex
Atlanta, Georgia
Phone: 1-888-660-5890
georgiapower.com
I have been charged a $150 deposit now for requesting extensions on my bills. My power has never been cut off, I always pay my bills on the arranged days, and I always confirm with the customer service representative what fees or negative feedback will be placed on my account due to the requests. I have never been notified this was impending. I also was told when I signed up for service there would only be a $90 deposit to receive service. When I called to discuss with them and see how I was responsible for something that was added when I'd made sure to see any penalties for my actions and this was never mentioned I was told "if you don't like it, all we lose is a bad credit customer... we're the only electric provider in your area, I hear generators are pretty cheap." I asked to speak to her supervisor (she is a manager) and she told me she was the only person I'd ever speak to, she was the end all be all for me, and that even if I tried to call back and talk to a different manager, she'd flag my account and interrupt any attempt in communications because I don't deserve to waste anyone else's time as such a bad credit person. Again. I pay my bills. I've never been disconnected, and though I have had one disconnect notice (from last December), I made an arrangement for that balance, and paid it off. Between not being informed during every phone conversation I've had with them this was happening and the service I've received when trying to figure this out, I'm not sure what to do.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Jun, 2011 by   Peregrintook310 0 Votes
You're not a bad customer. JazzCat23, you need to be more realistic. No, average person, can pay the insane bills that Georgia Power issues out every month.

I, too, just received an extra $150 "deposit charge". I called them to dispute it, and the supervisor hung up in my face.

They're called crooks. They really expect people to pay $300 when they live in a 2 bedroom apartment, shut off all phantom electricity, and keep their air conditioner at the respective "between 77-80" setting???

Government needs to finally pass a law that mandates how much power companies are allowed to charge customers. You can't function without power this day in age, and the power companies know that. They're taking advantage of people, because we have no other choice than to live in the Stone Age or like bums. Is it fair? Hell no it isn't. No one is a bad customer, if they seriously CAN NOT pay their bill, and they only make so much! Especially since Georgia Power is a rude, ruthless company. They shut me off when I made a payment arrangement date! They seemed to have thrown that knowledge out the window, and decided they were going to cut us off anyway. I called, bitched them out, told them they were going to spoil my food, and they couldn't even have the decency to tell me when the guy was going to be back out to turn the power back on.

If you work for this power company, or any for that matter, I believe you have no soul. These sort of companies make their money robbing people.
 12th of Jul, 2011 by   jessicaKetch -1 Votes
I am in the same boat. They charged me a $370.00 deposit not because my credit is bad, but because the house I was moving into had several people who skipped out on their bill. I got service turned on around the 22nd of the month and explained to them that I receive a Social Security check each month on the 3rd. They said they would adjust the payment so I would not get behind. That did not happen. I have lived in the home for 2 years now, made 3 extensions, always paid by the extension, and I just called to ask when I would be credited the deposit. They said I would not be credited the deposit unless I cancelled my account and owed them nothing. I believe this is some kind of theft and I asked to speak to a supervisor which they refused. I asked who else I needed to speak with and they said they were not allowed to tell me. THIS IS FRAUD and I feel we customers need to get together and do something. We are being robbed. All of this welfair, gas prices, etc.. We, the people need to take stand and make them listen to us!!
 21st of Oct, 2011 by   strikegeorgiapower -1 Votes
we need to schedule a Georgia power strike! every one can do a couple of day without electricity . we have to make them lose money. that is the only language they understand!
 26th of Sep, 2012 by   staybridge 0 Votes
THEY HAVE ADD A 150.00 MY BILLS AGAIN YOU WOULD THINK THAT IF I AM HAVING TROUBLE PAYING WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT . THEY KNOW IT WILL BE PAID I NEED LIGHTS I DONT HAVE AC . BUT I THINK ITS BECAUSE WE DID NOT LET THEM PUT THE SMART METER IN AND MY BILL HAS WENT HIGH AND HIGH EACH MONTH WE ALL WORK OR SCHOOL NO ONE MOST OF THE TIME SO WHY IS THE BILL SO MUCH
 6th of Mar, 2013 by   brady1 -1 Votes
Ga power is NOT a good company. If you were disconnected or had a power outage the crew members of this company are slow paced. Their crew members are certainly not alert 24/7. Waiting 3hours for power to be restored is the most difficult wait ever. I would go with another company if they had one in ga. If there was a storm one night, the power should be on the next day. Im pretty sure there are others out there that have or are experiencing the same matter. "GA" you are defining our state first off, secondly you work to satisfy georgia's customers. I will proudly say i am not satisfied with this companies SERVICE.
 23rd of Mar, 2013 by   Meathead98 -1 Votes
GA POWER IS A GREAT COMPANY BUT I CAN;T UNDERSTAND WHY THEY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER CHARGING CUSTOMERS 150.00 DOLLARS DEPOSIT BECAUSE OF LATE OR SLOW PAYMENTS. I LIVE IN THE ROME AREA AND IS UNEMPLOYED AND HAVE BEEN LATE BUT NEVER HAVE ANYTHING BEEN CUT OFF. I MADE THE 150.00 DEPOSIT BUT WAS LATE AGAIN AND RECEIVED ANOTHER STATEMENT REQUIRING ME TO PAY ANOTHER 150.00 ON MY NEXT BILL. SO MY QUESTION IS, DO WE HAVE TO PAY THIS EVERY TIME WE;LL LATE OR MAKE A CALL TO THESE PEOPLES TO ASK FOR TIME?
 1st of Apr, 2013 by   Dabeauty -1 Votes
Ha my bill is $907.52 for 2 months of service my first bill is the disconnect notice. I don't even give a damn what they do I'm going to hook my lights illegally & when they cut it off I'll do it again I'm sick of ga power
 24th of Apr, 2013 by   User1366806618 -1 Votes
Try this website to at least lodge a complaint, Georgia Public Service Commission:

*Hope this helps, I am having the same issue.
 17th of Sep, 2013 by   Alwaysdutch -1 Votes
We have constantly gotten additional deposits. What makes me so mad is that their deposits are huge. What if you make $9 or $10? $130 is huge for people with that kind of wage, but they don't care. I hate them. I thought Cobb EMC was bad, but Georgia power is by far the worst, just because they can. i hope one day they get sued for not giving a good reason what the deposit is about.
 16th of Jan, 2014 by   Koi58 -1 Votes
I totally agree. I've been a Georgia Power Customer for over twenty years. A few years ago, I opened a second account along with mine with my Georgia because they said that I paid my bill on time and I qualified for a second account. ( For my daughter) My daughter moved and the second account was closed, being paid in full. Last year in 2013, Georgia Power tried to add a deposit to my bill. I called and they waived it. This year on January 13 2014, I received another letter stating that because of my being late so many times, they are adding an additional deposit to my bill in the amount of $150. I called Georgia Power and spoke with a supervisor. I practically beg him to please not charge me an additional because I told him if I can't keep up with the regular bill, how will I be able to pay a bill, plus a deposit. Keep in mind, they already have a deposit on my account for $145, but, he said that I needed to have two deposit that adds up to two months, because I am on the flat rate and my bill every month is between $143 to $145. The supervisor would not budge. I told him that I have Asthma and that if he adds the additional deposit I would not be able to pay it. I pleaded and pleaded and pleaded and he just kept saying, I'm sorry. In twenty years, I've never been disconnected and I explained to him that I could understand if I was disconnected, and Georgia Power asked me to pay my current bill and a deposit. That I could understand. Yes, I constantly make payment arrangements, but, I make sure to pay by the arranged date. I don't know what I'm going to do, because now I have to try and figure out how I'm going to pay this deposit. I didn't know that they can charge an additional deposit on top of a deposit you already have on your account. I asked the same thing. If I pay this deposit, and continue to pay late, do I have to keep paying a deposit? He said a deposit is required to add up to two months when you're always late. I told him that yes, I'm late, but that Georgia Power charges a late fee, so they are not giving me anything.. The supervisor did not care. If Georgia Power sees that you're keeping your arrangements, and never been disconnected, I can't understand why they would add another deposit knowing that you're already unable to pay the bill. I forgot to mention that when I moved here to another county, they returned my deposit. He said that they return it if you pay on time after twelve months. I asked him, Ok, , you return if the customer pays on time after twelve months and then when they fall behind, you then turn around and ask for a much higher deposit than you returned. I am going to file a complaint. It may not make a difference but, at least the complaint is recorded.. I don't know how I'm going to pay my bill of $145 plus a $150 deposit. I can't believe that Georgia Power would treat the people that pays their salary in this manner. That is highway robbery! That supervisor had no compassion what so ever!
 17th of Mar, 2014 by   angered citizen -2 Votes
i just received this infamous 150 deposit for so called being late. Ive always paid the pastdue without receiving cutoff notice unril this month after i switched to flatrate abd paid the adjusted amount where they bill me for amount not paid which was 70 dollars. Ine business day later they hit me with this. Im faxing the governor office and addressing city council on the importance of deregulation. Please join me
 19th of Jun, 2014 by   Thisfreakingworld 0 Votes
Why is everyone past due and then expecting not to be charged for it. I keep reading where everyone here is having to reschedule payments. Why is that? Bottom line... Don't reschedule, Don't miss payments, Don't pay late, and you will have no added costs!

To the person that thinks they will hurt GA Power by not using power for a couple days... People who don't pay their bills as required are the reason rates go up, and there are late charges and deposits! Do you really think if you could even get everyone on board, that you would cost them money and pain? Have you read lately about these deposits everyone is clamouring about? Do you not think that Georgia Power wouldn't continue to charge these? Every successful business has charge backs to cover loss of payment from irresponsible consumers! The best way to lower costs is for everyone to pay their bills in full and on time! If businesses didn't have these fall backs in place, they would no longer be in business. You do realize that Georgia Power has to pay bills as well as consumers right? Who do you think pays the salaries of the guys going out in the storms to reconnect your power during outages? You? hahaha, not if you aren't paying your bills on time! Do you expect to get your pay check on time?

I for one put my house and electric way before anything else, because these items are the most important for living life in my eyes. Everything else can just go to the waist-side until these two items are paid in full as agreed in your contract agreements. You cost yourselves when you don't manage your money and pay your bills on time every time.

Gees Luis... what are they teaching in school these days? Def not basic economics
 19th of Jun, 2014 by   Iwishiwould 0 Votes
Georgia Power is an awful company that takes advantage of people because they can. If I can't or do not pay my bill, CUT IT OFF! but to tack on extra deposits in no way shape or form helps anybody except the greedy at Georgia Power. Can you imagine how much money they make off of deposits alone. It's all a scam just like most everything in this country.
 20th of Jun, 2014 by   Thisfreakingworld -1 Votes
Iwishiwould,
So... What you're saying is...
Instead of charging customers for the late payments, GP should just shut off the power to everyone that doesn't pay?
So I take it you don't need electricity? Then why don't you just tell them to cut off the power to your residence? You wouldn't have to pay another power bill ever to them. I'm sure if you would read their policy, it states in there the reasons for the charges you incur.

If GP didn't charge fees, how would they cover their costs of doing business when a large percentage of customers aren't paying their bills on time? Do you think that GP doesn't have to pay bills? How about salaries? How about paper and postage for statements that are mailed to you, and then you ignore, and then gripe when you get charged for not making timely payments? How about advancement in technology? How about advertisement that seems to be solely hinged around keeping customers happy? How about equipment? Power Lines, Poles, Sub Stations? Permits? How about insurance to cover accidental damage to property when digging or connecting power? The list could go on for pages!

One thing is for certain, businesses that are only out for themselves rarely stay in business because people tend to not want to do business with them. Just because you can't pay your bills doesn't mean they are awful and are taking advantage of people. How do they know what your situations are? Because you told them so? Hahaha, so I guess no one ever lies to get out of paying bills? If excuses were all it took to keep from paying bills then I would be inclined to believe that no one would pay their bills!

As far as imagining how much money they make off of deposits alone... If you are referring to gross profit, then I would imagine a lot. But I would gander to say that Net profit would be very low to none on deposits! Deposits are for covering peoples bills that aren't paying on time. Like I said GP has bills to pay and if they aren't getting paid then how do they pay their bills? I imagine that if a customer is continually late or rescheduling payments a month at a time then they will consider that customer to be a high risk for not paying for a month at a time which in turn would trigger them to charge you a months deposit only to cover your monthly costs for being late or off schedule. If the customer is two or three months in the rear on a regular, then I would gander to say that they would up the deposit amount to offset the fees inquired during that time period. Also I would probably think that if you paid your bills on time every month and were never late, then you wouldn't be charged a deposit. If I were you guys, I would thank my lucky stars they don't charge the full average amount of your electric bill as a deposit. They are only charging to cover costs it looks like to me.

The reason the economy is in the drink, is that so many people don't try to understand how business works. They all seem to think that all businesses print their own cash and should never charge for their services.

I wonder if they could reduce salaries at GP if every customer paid their bills in full and on time? They would be able to eliminate the jobs of the people who handle the phone calls, and the billing associated with LATE Payments. The price per KWH would decrease and the folks complaining about prices would be happy.

But wait... what about the people that worked those positions? Now GP would be under fire for eliminating jobs! Because one thing I've learned over the years is that there are complainers for every single category in life!

So.. Instead of complaining, why not ask for suggestions on how to reduce costs to you? Because not everyone gets charged deposits, or late fees, or anything outside of the electricity used. I know I have never paid a deposit in 15 years of being a consumer, nor have I paid any late fees!

Be a better consumer and reap the rewards for that!
 1st of Jul, 2014 by   CMay70 0 Votes
I have been living in Georgia for about a year and a half now and I am very displeased with Georgia power.
My main complaint against this company is they know they have a monopoly on the energy market in this area and they refuse to work with their customers.
I have been living in a small 2 bedroom apartment for the past year and every month my bill was 130 dollars, this month all of a sudden they charged me 202 dollars and nothing has changed in my usage. I called to get this corrected and even spoke to a supervisor and I might as well had been talking to a fucking horse. These people don't give a shit about their customers and we have no recourse against them.
The Georgia Government needs to step in and pass some legislation that gives the energy consumer some means to dispute their bills when they are overly charged. Also the fee's this company is tacking on to our bills are highly questionable. That bitch I talked to told me they charge us ten dollars just for being an energy customer FFS!!!
 5th of Sep, 2014 by   capitalismatitsfinest 0 Votes
Thisfreakingworld, I hope and pray the day never comes when you can not pay your bills. Do you honestly think that people want to not be able to pay their bills? NO!!! Maybe they lost their job or are on a fixed income had to take off work due to illness. Let me ask you a question, if you paid your bill and although it was high and you paid on time and GP said they required an additional deposit from you to total 2 months of service just in case you couldn't pay your bill, how would you feel. Some people are so ignorant. Why don't you do us all a favor and drink a glass of bleach and GO KILL YOURSELF!!!
 5th of Sep, 2014 by   MelB78 0 Votes
Ga Power does take advantage of their position in the energy market. I don't understand why some people are so closed minded... Just because you have no understanding of what it means to struggle, doesn't mean people are NOT struggling in this day and age. Smh. Ga Power refers you to agencies that are supposed to help families in need. The problem with this is that, too many people are in need so there's NEVER any funding! Families children are punished by the greed displayed by these outrageous bills they send out each month. We as a people have to come together united and demand better treatment, lower bills, and better training for poor customer service!

Nigerian Students, Scammers Nabbed in Malaysia