logo

Posted:    Valerie

Terrible experience

General Revenue Corporation
generalrevenue.com
I know these people are contacting me about defaulted student loans. I cannot pay them. I called Sallie Mae to negotiate payment, pointing out that I have no contract with anyone but them. After several calls from GRC--whose employees were interested more in bully tactics than in conversation--I sent a letter via Certified Mail demanding no further telephone contact, and that any further communication be only in writing.

The letter was acknowledged, and the calls continued. I then contacted the Attorney General where I live. According to him, GRC denied all. The calls did stop, however--and I never did get the written communication I'd requested. Now the calls are starting again. No message left; just air if I answer). I AM willing see what we can negotiate. I've read from various sources that they have been successfully sued for ignoring requests to stop calling (and failure to follow up in writing); elsewhere I've read that suing them is futile.

If I were to sue them, it would not be for money; it would be to get them to comply with the law (although I could use the settlement to make them an offer..!).

Not sure what to do at this point. They ignore Certified Mail; they lie to the SAG.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Jan, 2010 by   Garcia1221 0 Votes
All of you that are saying that GRC is bad that they haressed my family and me and calls dont stop...one thing you should do is pick up the phone talk to them tell them what is wrong and why you are not able to pay your loans and they will work with you...i have student loans with slm and general revenue help me put my loans on a forbearance they also said that i had the option of deferment which will make the goverment pay for my interest on my sub-loan so all you cry baby just pay your loans or talk and come into a plan with them so stop...all you that defaulted had 270 days to try to defer or put your loans on a forbearance ok...if you want to know just give grc a chance to talk and when they ask you for your info dont say "how do i now you r legit" hello they are owen by slm they have all your info already...so just shut up and make a plan with them so they can help you the last thing they want to do is take your money by force.
 31st of Jan, 2010 by   Garcia1221 0 Votes
GRC dose collections but they are also other deparments that dont do collections the one that help me was a loan management service which work with student to stop their loans into going into a default statis ok if you have questions just let me know and i will be more than happy to tell you more
 22nd of Feb, 2010 by   Ericpj +1 Votes
I have a 16000 dollar loan with GRC the payments are high in the 600's monthly but that is fair considering they can sue me for the full amount. I have not been charged interest because I have made all my payments on time. Also when I made 11 consecutive payments on time they offered a settlement for half of the remaining balance. GRC is a fair debt collector just you need to play by their rules, you will never stop the phone calls and by law no lawyer can stop them you agreed to the calls when you signed the promissory note.
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   Thomas300 0 Votes
You owe the Federal Govmnt for you student loans that company never told you to take out those loans you couldN'T pay back you LOW LIFE NO BILL PAYING BACK PIECE OF FKNG OWING THE GOVMNT AND TAX PAYER $$ BACK PIECE OF SHIT F.u.c.k. you.. A bill collector can call you anytime between 8am to 9 pm up to 4 times a day. Most of you complain about bill collectors, if you were responsible people you would n;t have to worry about that now would you, you stupid no college graduating mther fkr. You give real working people a bad name. F.U.C.K. YOU YOU HILLJACKREDNECK PIECE OF SHIT MTHE FKR WHO put your habits 1st and your bills later.. GO CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK, CALL 1-800 eat shit and die you asshole.
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   middle aged man 0 Votes
I just received two calls from General Revenue regarding employment history of a former employee of ours. I asked them to identify the purpose of the call and who they were. Basically they told me it was none of my business who they were and that it was against the law to not give them the information.

As an aside, I have provided supplies for collection company's as customers of our company, both previously and currently.

Collection's folk are a very tough crowd and do use bullying tactics to collect money. I would have to say the level of dishonesty and attitude given to me by GRC is about as bad as I have ever seen and heard. Having known the business owners at collection agencies, I have heard some of the "terrible tales" they have told me to collect money. Either from wicked competitors or their own list of horrors. The lack of integrity by GRC in two quick phone calls and not knowing who they were, along with their unwillingness to offer any information got me looking into their history online.

What I found is appalling. I would suggest that anyone talking to them find any means possible to deal with someone more reasonable. The only thing that will stop the bad behavior on their part is to tell them the person they are looking for is not home and to communicate via the US Mail.

BTW, the nicer things being said by the people above about collection agencies is probably coming from the GRC offices. Even the people in the collection industry that are nasty tell us how "God awful" these people are. I feel bad for my previous employee, because I know he is a good person who has obviously run into some financial problems and now he has the devil after him.

My suggestion is to contact the original creditor and explain that you will be glad to work something out, but not with GRC as the representative. You may find out that GRC is not really acting as a certified representative of the creditor, and you SHOULD not be dealing with them to begin with.
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   PAY UP SUCKA'S 0 Votes
DONT YOU THINK THAT "THE DEVIL" IS A BIT MUCH... AND AS FAR AS NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT WAS CONCERNING... ITS REALLY NOT ANY OF YOUR BUISNESS, AS A BUISNESS OWNER YOUR SUPPOSED TO VERIFY EMPLOYMENT FOR PAST OR CURRENT EMPLOYEES... AND TO YOUR PAST EMPLOYEE THATS JUST SUCH A SWELL GUY... MAYBE HE SHOULDN'T DEFAULT ON HIS FEDERAL DEBT... HE HAD 270 DAYS TO PUT IT INTO A DEFERMENT OR TRY TO QUALIFY FOR FORBEARANCE... HE'S JUST A LAZY GUY!

ALL OF YOUR COMPLAINERS--------JUST PAY YOUR BILLS, ITS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   PAY UP SUCKA'S 0 Votes
AND UPON FURTHER RESEARCH, GENERAL REVENUE CORP HAS BEEN A BETTER BUISNESS BUREAU ACCREDITED BUISNESS SINCE JULY 1, 1986...
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   iamthatiam 0 Votes
Are you people really living in real world reality??????? I am reading statements that are saying pretty much the same thing----- "just own up and pay your bill"..."just call them and they will work with you"... and further ; the comments from YOU BILL COLLECTORS, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves! When was the last time you ran to your family and asked them to fork out $1, 000's of dollars because you couldn't pay a debt? or had the utilities threaten to be turned off? I for one don't know anyone who has family rolling in dough! Most of us are barely making ends meet. We chose to go to college (and I am already had my degrees and profession) in order to obtain training in another area so that we could improve our income. Well, that doesn't always work out. Constant harassment by GRC is not going to solve anyone's problems. Further, just calling them is an exercise in a "fishing expedition" to obtain more information from you. And, to top it off, they still harass you! I tried to work out a payment plan, and in good faith gave them up to date information. I only receive $364. per month from my pension and a senior. So, they wanted to know where the money is spent!!! My meds alone (which I don't take if I can't pay them that month) are in the hundreds, food, and gas eat it up and that's all there is. And, so they want to know who is paying for my housing---NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS, and NO they are not going to get my husband involved- who is, by the way, laid off and not taking his own diabetic medicine, and WE ARE BOTH going to be homeless because our home is in foreclosure. Then to add to the stupidity of the inferences that I have WEALTHY RESOURCES, they asked me for 2 references. I asked for the reason, and was informed that "just in case we need to contact you", hello hello, hello--- obviously they are able to contact me, I AM ON THE PHONE WITH THEM NOW! And, the rep. says that they don't really call them anyway. About 3 months ago, my ex-husband of 27 years, informed me that GRC called his home and talked to his wife about my loan!
I didn't even give anything with my ex-husband's name on any application- and he has an unlisted number!!! I told GRC that is my responsibility alone- and NO I am not giving any references. I asked for the mailing address so that I can send a payment that I can afford, and she said they wouldn't accept it. Well, I wrote a letter explaining the conversation, and made a commitment to pay the debt every month in the amount of $20 per month. I sent it to every address that I could found- the physical one, the accounting, and the PO box one. And, I faxed the letter with a copy of the written check directly to them. I have always insisted that it is my responsibility to pay my own debt. I will not be tricked into feeding these people information about any friends, family, spouse etc. I will not have them contacted or harassed. And, I do know legally, my spouse is NOT responsible., further HIS INCOME IS IRRELEVANT! So, bill collectors reading this, don't even bother telling me that his income counts towards affordability. It's just like a credit card- unless it is jointly obtained- he is not financially liable. And, GRC IS NOT LEGALLY able to garnish him at all! So those threats are a waste of time. I myself do not own anything- the house is not mine- I am not on any financial or deed documents. I will make the payments on time as I committed to and in the amount I agreed to. Whether they send them back or not doesn't matter. I make copies, and have a certified receipt of each month. And, if necessary, I will have my day in court- any judge (federal, as I am aware) will see that I have made the effort to do the responsible thing.
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   dfgdfg@hotmail.com 0 Votes
NATASHA, I GUESS YOUR LAWYER DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT HUH? I bet that stings.. should have called to see what you could do. If its a student loan, there are options for everyone, even the homeless. You just need to get off your butt and call them, explain your situation and they can help. Better yet, get a J-O-B. If you owe a student loan, you are taking money away from the students who want to go to school and will repay their loans.
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   dfgdfg@hotmail.com 0 Votes
oh yeah, also once it goes from grc to the dept of ed. watch out, they will place a judgment against you and put leins on your property. so if u think u can get away with it...sorry.. they never go away...
 1st of Apr, 2010 by   justtrynamakeit 0 Votes
I am currently dealing with GRC and I must say I have dealt with the rudeness and the attitude. I am currently unemployed because of my son's medical condition and only have his SSI payments to rely on so the payment of $152 a month is a hardship for me and my family. I understand that I have to pay on my debt which I have no problem doing but for a reasonable monthly payment. For all of those on here who say this company is willing to work with you are truly mistaken or have been dealing with a different GRC because the one I have been dealing with basically has been bullying me from the start. What is crazy to me is that my student loan ( that I knew NOTHING about) was only in default for a few weeks before GRC "took on" my account and started charging me outrageous interest rates. It took me calling 7 different companies before I was able to find out any information on my account and before I was finally directed to GRC. When I did finally speak to one of their representatives I tried to explain my situation to her and she put me on the phone with her supervisor who basically told me I had to pay by the end of the month or they were going to garnish my husband's wages and take my tax return. Now mind you this was around the 20th of that month and I didnt have any money coming in. They told me I had to pay $200 a month and if I didnt pay that by the end of the month I would not be offered any other monthly payments and would have to pay my loan amount in full which is by their records $13, 000. So yes I had to pay the $200 because I clearly dont have $13, 000 just laying around and if I did I sure wouldn't be owing them any money. This has become a true burden to me because now I cannot finish school because I cannot get any fin. aide, which by the way is how I found out about the loans in the first place. For all of you talking about get off your butts and get a job and pay your debts, go to hell because nowadays it is not that easy to even find jobs and some of us have other circumstances that play a part such as mine with my disabled 9month old baby!!! The problem is companies like GRC have no heart and aren't willing to work with people who assume the responsibilty and are willing to pay their debts.
 28th of May, 2010 by   Attorney Harvey Rephen -1 Votes
The best ay to deal with this type of harrassment and abuse is to sue them under the FDCPA. If you would like to speak to me I can be reached at 212.796.0930.
regards,
Attorney Harvey Rephen
Consumer Protection Advocate
 24th of Jun, 2010 by   adfbakdbk +1 Votes
you all need to understand that when you went to college and didnt pay anything and applied for fasfa you applied for a loan and yes when your loan goes into default that it is turned over to the guarntour and they asses the fees up to 25% of balance then your intrest goes to a daily intrest and YOU signed for it when you applied for fasfa... all that these people are trying to do is do there job so that they dont end up in the same situation... grc is a third party agencey and cannot asseses any fees and are done so by the client... read the promissary note you signed if you were smart enough to keep it... you signed up for everything you get when you went to school and didnt pay for it out of pocket
 25th of Jun, 2010 by   doggie87 0 Votes
hmmm... well, i was contacted by GRC and Direct Loans. Are there any other options besides signing up with them? I got a little suspicious about this whole thing when they insisted on over-nighting the contract via UPS and then having it picked up from my house and over-nighted back to them... If I have defaulted on a Federal Student Loan, what are my options? Do I have to pay though GRC? Thanks.
 21st of Jul, 2010 by   grchater 0 Votes
most of the people who work there are assholes..some are good but there are some really stupid things that go on there as far as managment goes and it stresses the employees out like you woulnd't believe..alot of the chicks there take pills for it..glad i'm not there anymore
 9th of Aug, 2010 by   Whitman 0 Votes
Qualifications for employment as a debt collector at GRC

High school diploma (or equivalent)
Six months of previous customer service experience, preferably in a call center environment
Excellent verbal communication skills
Proven negotiation, counseling and problem solving skills and demonstrated time management skills.

With these tough and professional qualifications it is hard not to feel sorry for them. Do not blame them for their attitude. That is the best job they will ever have in their life. They do not understand what is a college education, because they had never put a foot on a university not even a technical school. Its not their fault they did not want to go beyond a high school diploma or a GED. That was all their brains could afford. If they do not get you to pay by whatever means possible, they will get fired. They work on commissions and the more money they make the more their team will get production bonuses and those special awards. They had never faced financial hardships in their life and much less family health problems. They pay all their bills 100% and on time. That is why they can call and harass you even if you are in the poorhouse, disabled or you can not get, as they say, a J-O-B. They can not understand things that are so foreign to them.
Have pity on them, collections is their bacon and beans for the rest of their life, that is why they are so tough. So, please, have a heart, understand their positions in this matter, because you can not make a rock bleed.
 16th of Nov, 2010 by   roughdiamond 0 Votes
Reading these complaints, I'm kinda shocked. GRC started calling me a few months back and told me they had taken over my loan which at that point I owed roughly about $4600. I told them I would get back to them but got busy and didn't. They did call me alot but truthfully I never answered. Then a couple months ago, I contacted them to make payment arrangement. They took a low down payment of $300 even though I was supposed to pay 10% down and my monthly payment is only $55 which is WELL within my means. They even told me after 4 on time payments I would no longer get my tax refund taken. and after 6 on time payments I could get financial aid again. I have paid 3 payments now and have had no problems. I'm a little worried reading these complaints though now. I'm hoping they told the truth about everything. Most of these complaints sound like you guys just want them to stop calling though so it may not apply to me. Since I made the arrangement they don't call me anymore. They just take my payment every month on the 24th. So I'm satisfied so far. :-)
 2nd of Feb, 2011 by   sallie20091 0 Votes
To BillC**, you and your buddies are nothing but bottom feeders.
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   lickabug 0 Votes
contact Lemburg & Associates. They are free legal attorneys that will fight for you and get GRC off you butts! I did, call 203-653-2250. A lot of the crap GRC does is ILLEGAL and they know it. :) hope this helps. it did me. :)
 30th of May, 2011 by   Sharon Harmon 0 Votes
Yes, most of the debt collectors themselves are posting. They have to come and see what people are saying. Nice try. Your language gives you away. Whenever I get a debt collector call, I ignore it when I am unable to pay them anything. I have learned in the past that there is no talking with them. Sometimes situations and circumstances happen in life that is beyond your control and it just can't be helped. What I have done in the past is when I get the money, I go directly to the one that I owe the money to and cut the debt collector right out. I get proof of payment and there is nothing that they can do about it. You can take them to court, so it is wise to get a lawyer in some cases and then they'll be oweing you. Rule #1, Don't pay what you don't owe.

Internet Safety - Protecting Against Identity Theft