logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
jewelrybund.com
My order wasn’t successful and impossible to return them
2. (1 mins ago)
jewelrybund.com
I got damaged jewellery and communication stopped
3. (4 mins ago)
jewelrybund.com
Seller and agent don’t reply to emails
4. (5 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Terrible experience

General Revenue Corporation
generalrevenue.com
I know these people are contacting me about defaulted student loans. I cannot pay them. I called Sallie Mae to negotiate payment, pointing out that I have no contract with anyone but them. After several calls from GRC--whose employees were interested more in bully tactics than in conversation--I sent a letter via Certified Mail demanding no further telephone contact, and that any further communication be only in writing.

The letter was acknowledged, and the calls continued. I then contacted the Attorney General where I live. According to him, GRC denied all. The calls did stop, however--and I never did get the written communication I'd requested. Now the calls are starting again. No message left; just air if I answer). I AM willing see what we can negotiate. I've read from various sources that they have been successfully sued for ignoring requests to stop calling (and failure to follow up in writing); elsewhere I've read that suing them is futile.

Not sure what to do at this point. They ignore Certified Mail; they lie to the SAG.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Nov, 2008 by   Laurie 0 Votes
3 things you must do

1. NEVER NEGOTIATE WITH DEBT COLLECTORS ON THE PHONE.

2. File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission - citing FDCPA violations.

3. go www.budhibbs.com - a consumer advocate website.
Lots of good info on how to deal with these bottomfeeders and links to qualified attorneys - many who will work on contingency.

I do not see this CA listed on their website, but you can add you complaint against them.

Collection Agencies - lie to the consumer - so of course they will lie to the AG as well.
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   Valerie 0 Votes

Now the calls are starting again. No message left; just air if I answer).

I AM willing see what we can negotiate. I've read from various sources that they have been successfully sued for ignoring requests to stop calling (and failure to follow up in writing); elsewhere I've read that suing them is futile. If I were to sue them, it would not be for money; it would be to get them to comply with the law (although I could use the settlement to make them an offer..!).

24th of Nov, 2008 by   PmK +1 Votes
My son has dealt with these people before. I contacted an attorney's office that will assist you probono if you have any problems with this company. I will have to research to get the name of attorneys but will post them.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   willie54 +1 Votes
how do I contact Federal trade Commission in TN?. I am sick and tired of General Revenue Corp harassing me...saying that I can have my disability check detached from my monthly check.SII. what fools are these people, that Bully people. i became disabled 2001 and the student laon was for 2500 and I know I did not finish my college, had to drop out in 2001 took 1 semester. and now i have this burden, and its up to 4420..in dollars that is... how is the world can this much interest accrue in 7 yrs??? NO WAY! somebody please write back.. I am wondering what can be done to get them to stop this harassing.
Thanks
Will in TN
 3rd of Apr, 2009 by   natasha8945 +1 Votes
I think this is the most unprofessional company I have dealt with in my life. They harrassed me and call me everyday even though they are garnishing my wages. I contacted and attorney and the attorney advised they cannot garnish my wages if I file head of the household withouth a courter order and if so they can only garnish up to 10% or so. He sent a letter to my employee as well as the grc corporation and my employer denied it stating is federal which supercedes states law . I guess because they are owned by the federal government. They took my tax refund which paid them in full and they are still garnishing my wages. I have called them and asked them to stop and they refused. My employer wouldnt accept the proof that I paid them off and states Grc would have to release me in order for the garnishment to stop. At this point, I would have to get an attorney involved. They took one account that i owed and split into two accounts so they could double the interest and are charging me 2000.00 just in one month. These people charge interest than a bank or loan corporation. I am loosing alot of things because they are taking money thats not owed, I will be reporting them to bbb and then contacting a lawyer asap
 16th of Jun, 2009 by   mo money -2 Votes
what losers. anything to hide from your debts. get a job and pay. im tired of these sites to make u feel better about being a deadbeat. quit crying.
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   just meh -1 Votes
General Revenue Corp collects on money owed to college and universities and federal student loans. When students default on money owed to a school it affects the funding they get from fafsa for other students to go to school so the dept of ed. allows schools to add 100% in collection costs and interest on top of that. Also if you withdraw or leave before you complete the semester you will lose all of your financial aid and will owe whatever that would have covered directly to the school yourself. Schools are NOT allowed to write anything off and have to report it as defaulted and lose more federal money the more students that default. So don't blame the collection agency trying to collect the money you owe to the school or the money you owe on your perkins or stafford or wdf loans, they have nothing to do with it. And yes it is legal to call everyday when you have an outstanding debt and if you decide to write a letter that says for them to contact you only in writing then they will have no choice but to sue you. They do NOT have to accept partial payments when in default the balance is always due in full. Think about when you refuse to setup payments, if you work you can be garnished up to 25%.
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   libby1 +1 Votes
wow, I was actually glad they called me because i have been out of school for over a year and havent been able to pay my student loans. This company called me and said they would help me consolidate all my loans and get a low interest rate and payments based off my income. I was excited now im wondering if it was to good to be true.
 6th of Jul, 2009 by   Subzero23oj -2 Votes
First of all PAY YOUR BILL!!! I am debt collector the best way to stop the calls is to pay your bill.
Second, ask to set up a temp arrangment, in other words a payment plan. make a resonable offer and they will accept it.

If you did send a a letter for them to stop calling they should not be calling you that is one i do not understand. but they are people so maybe a new employee cannot read the do not call sign. Just call them up set up a payment month to month. this is the best way trust me.
And do not say "I will Pay when I can". all this does is make us more mad and we will call you even more. JUST PAY!!
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   Evan403 +1 Votes
I have to admit that dealing with GRC has been merely a pain mostly due to me now owing them money. Although I'm entirely not happy with having to do this, it is after all my fault. My loans went into default purely because I was deployed overseas in Iraq and lost good contact with Sallie Mae. It wasn't until I returned home from said deployment that I started to get countless calls from these people about my loans being in default. Initially they were asking for $550 in payments over two loans, which is ridiculous, but I was able to work with them to consolidate the loans bringing my payments down 30%. What I can't understand is the 6.88% Interest Rate on my loan through them. That almost added a third of my initial balance. I've been paying GRC for over a year now, why can't I refinance these loans? I understand they're a collection agency and were brought in for a purpose, but come on, I have a year of good standing now. Smaller balance/payments = easier to work with.
 18th of Jul, 2009 by   boutaswell 0 Votes
Hey Subzero

If that's all I can do, that's all I can do. I am now attempting to repay a debt and treating me rudely only makes me more mad.

It seems the curmudgeons that own and run these corporations always fail to impart to their employees that they will get a more favorable response by being a bit nicer that acting like total DICKHEADS.

And to Evan403, all they did was to sucker you in. They now have a additional stream of income from your loan besides what they were being paid by the school.
 25th of Jul, 2009 by   Nonny A. Mouse 0 Votes
@boutaswell: That's the issue. Everyone tends to be dickish period. No one has a modicum of respect anymore. Not the people that are being called, the companies, or the employees. If we are to point fingers we need to point at everyone. I have worked as a debt collector and the hideousness of people not owning up to their responsibility for a bill (or cell phone bill etc) is what is a major problem, to asking if a disability means they don't have to pay, etc all of this sours debt collectors (not absolving of their faults as admittedly many employees are less then aware of customer service but most don't have customer service experience unfortunately).

I've been in collections before and if you truly owe money and it was truly bought (from company to collection agency) then own up to it and work it out. That means being willing to disclose why you have to pay a certain amount a month. It worked when my dad was laid off and they explained to credit card companies (they had the sense to contact the companies before it was sent to collections) letting the company know of the situation and making a payment arrangement plan. Instead of saying "paying when I can" work with the company to see what you /can/ pay because creditors respect people who are working their darnedest to pay off a debt (like saying I can't pay 100 dollars a month, here's why and this is what I can actually pay-- say 50 dollars a month).

We can't ignore the fact that more than likely there are huge clauses that stipulate the necessity of a student to continue to go to school and failure to do so means that the terms of the contract (loan) is null and void. Meaning the loan as to have payments made immediately. More than likely most students don't know this so if anything schools should make this better known or help explain the loan contract better (because they're complicated as it is)... However if a student knows they have to pay and ignore they're given /plenty/ of time to start making payments. An example, while working at a collection agency I was working on Sprint and some of these accounts were 3 to 6 months past due with no attempt or action by the person.. at that point the fees are deserved because that's the consequence of inaction or lack of interest in paying off what is rightfully owed. Obviously the longer it's ignored then add late fees, interest, then processing fees for when a loan is moved from the lender to the collection agency.. but for that aspect the student has no one to blame but themselves.

Though I do want to make it clear that as much as debt collectors may need customer service training (and some are rude as heck--which is against the law and can be terms for a lawsuit!), people who are being called need to either own up to their end and remember to have manners and phone etiquette...

all of this drama and frustration stems from lenders and schools needing to make contracts much more better explained and explicitly making it known the need for educating oneself about loans, contracts etc, the need of educating oneself about the law and what it means for someone in collections, learning the absolute need of keeping all documentation from the original contract, to all letters that subsequently follow, and when paid off keeping that letter for life and the need of knowing how to fight a case in which the debt amount is incorrect.

(and yes you can find it ironic to find a 'past' debt collector that is not all filled with rage, rude, or unintelligent).
 27th of Jul, 2009 by   a_johnson1972 +1 Votes
DO NOT PAY THE LOAN IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TOO! If you make arrangements to pay a loan from a third party and fail to make the arranged payment(s) on time, you have just given the third party creditor the right to extend the period of time the negative item will remain on your credit report. If you have a negative item on your credit report for 6 years and you decide to make an agreement with the creditor to pay it off, if you default, you will now have to wait another 7 years to have it removed under Fair Credit Guidelines.

DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT STATE THEY ARE PAST OR CURRENT BILL COLLECTORS! Collection agencies recruit and demand individuals with "strong personalities". Most third party bill collectors are paid commission, hourly pay, and some agencies have prizes to motivate their employee's . Please also note, that their performance reviews are based upon how much revenue they accumulate for the company. Please be aware that some collection companies are based as teams. The teams revenue is addded all together and they are awarded commisiions and prizes. Have you ever asked to speak to a Supervisor at a collections agency? Well, guess what? The Supervisor that you spoke too, was most likely a bill collector that was sitting next too the person you wern't satisfied with, or in the room, or on the same team as too try to make you perceive that you are speaking to a Supervisor, when in fact its just another bill collector with no authority trying to bring in revenue.

Have you ever wondered why bill collectors are so rude? They are under immesnse pressure too produce revenue. Its real easy to be fired from a collection agency if you are not producing revenue! Therefore, thats why you have these past and current bill collector employees that seem harsh when they give advice. Please be aware that all collection agencies have memebers of their teams (normally Managers) that search the Web for complaints about their company. They normally reply to complaints as if they are not directly associated with the complaint when responding.

In essence, research all Credit Laws, and never, ever, whatsoever, make an agreement with a collection agencyvia phone! Never, ever think that you are speaking to a memeber of a Management team of a agency! Lastly, let me reiterate, do not call a collection agency, always write via certified mail.
 28th of Jul, 2009 by   nessie12 +1 Votes
I had someone call from this company at my work. I am a Irish citizen and have never taken out a loan in the US, I don't have a social security number and I wasn't born in 1970. I tried to tell the crazy person but she was too busy shouting. I have never had anyone so rude speak to me before, honestly and i've worked in an office for 10 years. I don't like people threatening me, i suppose i'll wait and see if she rings back...
 28th of Jul, 2009 by   ITTRUE! -1 Votes
OH MY GOSH U GUYS ARE SO CRAZY GRC CALLED ME AND WAS VERY NICE ITS EASY PAY UR BILLS IT WILL HELP U OUT ON GETTING UR STUFF PAYED LIKE ME I PAY 125 A MONT AND MY BILLS ARE ALMOST PAYED
 31st of Aug, 2009 by   cruche +1 Votes
My roommate has a Sallie Mae loan that she pays on as required every month; has never been more than a few days late, if at all. (Never even 30 days late.) Now, if she is ever late, even by a couple of days, this company calls everybody she knows and even my synagogue! (I am not a cosigner.)

I don't know why they spend so much money on a loan that is current, and has been current for its entire duration, and on a person with good credit. She has never consolidated (just has the one loan). So, this company is an unpleasant mystery.
 16th of Sep, 2009 by   BILL C*** -1 Votes
I DONT KNOW WHY YOU PEOPLE ARE SO BOUND AND DETERMINED TO AVOID PAYING YOUR BILLS. 99.9% OF COLLECTORS ARE GOOD PEOPLE AND FOLLOW THE COLLECTION LAWS BY THE BOOK. EVEN IF YOU DO GET A BAD EGG CALLING YOU, WHICH IS VERY UNLIKELY, YOU JUST DONT UNDERSTAND THE LOANS. READ YOUR PROMISORY NOTE WHICH YOU SIGNED STATING ALL THE PENALTIES THAT COULD HAPPEN IF YOU GO INTO DEFAULT INSTEAD OF ACTING LIKE A COMPLETE JERK TO SOMEBODY WHO IS DOING THEIR JOB. THEY NEVER FORCED YOU TO TAKE OUT THE LOAN.

GROW UP. ITS THE REAL WORLD. COLLECTORS ARE WORKING HARD WHILE YOU ARE LITERARLY STEALING
 19th of Sep, 2009 by   2ND RESPONSE 0 Votes
Do not make contact with bill collectors via phone. Everytime you call them, they are updating their records. Always write them via certified return mail. If you agree to a contract with a collection agency and fail to repay the debt, you have just restarted the clock as it relates to how long the item will appear on your credit. You will have also given the collection agency the ability to sue you if you fail to make the agreed payments to them. When you make an agreement with a collection agency the debt becomes "a new debt".

Tip: Research the FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT laws.

Tip: Disregard the advice of employees's of collection agencies. ***hint; look at the comments of BILLC*** (good people as he suggest?)

Tip: I f you are disabled you are exempt from garnishments under most circumstances.

Tip: if you choose to make an agreement get it in writing, and remember, you have control over the situation not the collection agency.
 22nd of Dec, 2009 by   CraigAC 0 Votes
I was just contacted from GRC and the arrangements they made have me paying more than I previously did. I really cannot afford the new payment but I am willing to pay something. They would not take anything else. If I do not agree to pay more they will garnish my wages. Do I have any recourse?
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   Jersey Dude 0 Votes
I called my lender and worked it out with them directly... GRC tried to bully me into paying off a said amount with a 19% fee attached to it. People should pay back their debt but not through them!! Speak directly with the lender and don't believe GRC when they say that they "purchased" the loan. They're liars and have harassed my family... they are completely unprofessional and trying to strong arm you. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these posts are written by some of their people.

Account Verification‏ Western Union Scam