logo

fake lootery

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Geek Squad Complaints & Reviews - Geek Squad - is a total rip off!

Geek Squad Contacts & Informations

Geek Squad

Posted:    Valerie

Geek Squad - is a total rip off!

I scheduled a Geek Squad appointment just after Christmas to set up my wireless internet connection on my Macintosh. I waited 2 weeks for appointment.

When the day finally came my Geek Special Agent was an hour late. We were already off to a bad start as I left work an hour early to accommodate the appt.

The Special Agent spent a total of 15 minutes making the connection as I had already set up the Airport with Apple over the phone. I was charged $169. plus tax and he was on his way. The connection worked for about an hour until the computer went to sleep and I found out he hadn't locked the settings and hadn't changed the sleep mode. Since i was was not privy to his geek magic, I did not know the IP addy he used to set up the wireless on my Airport Extreme. I immediately called Geek Squad back and I was told I would receive a call to reset things. When this did not happen i called the next morning and made 2 subsequent calls until I was given appt that day at 2:40 PM. Well, the Geek never showed up. when I called back at 5PM to find out what happened, I was told the appt wasn't on record and that they would text the Geek to call me immediately. Ten days and many phone call later, I am still waiting. The Geek Squad people tell me they are only a franchise and can't help me. Best Buy, who holds the franchise, ignores my calls. I have put the payment in dispute with my credit card company and I am hiring a reputable tech company to correct the problem. The Geek Squad guarantees their work for 30 days. I am betting they are waiting for the guarantee to run out!

Meanwhile, no wireless!
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Jan, 2008 by   Shannon 0 Votes
Geek Squad actually ruined my brand new lap top! When I took the problem back to them they were rude. I wish Best Buy would stop associating with them.
 13th of Feb, 2008 by   Debbie Logan 0 Votes
I purchased a plasma tv and surround sound system from Best Buy and paid $800 to have Geek Squad come out and install it. I was told this price would cover absolutely everything. I did check out their web site a few days before my appointment and noticed they said they do not bring any mountings for the tv, speakers, etc. As my tv and speakers were to go on the wall, I called to find out if there was anything I needed to purchase in addition to the money I already spent. I was told by Geek Squad that I had paid for the premium service and their techs would bring everything out. Sitting here this morning, waiting for them to show up. Just got a call asking me if I had my speaker and tv mounts. I was shocked. Told them no and that I had called their customer support a few days ago and they confirmed I didn't need to worry about a thing. Was told."oh, they dont know what they are talking about". Unbelievable.
 8th of May, 2008 by   Joe 0 Votes
My computer hard drive was mistakenly formatted by Geek squad and all my programs were lost. I had a virus on my computer and they tried unsuccessfully to remove it. They said the only way to remove the virus completely was to remove the files and put them on a portable drive, then formate the hard drive. I told them NOT to formate the hard drive and only to remove my files and put them on the portable drive so I could take my PC to another place to have the virus removed. I went to pick up the computer and they informed me they accidentally formatted the hard drive. Now they are giving me the runaround and refusing to replace my programs. They simply want to place the the program file, pictures, and documents back on and have me go away. Geek Squad has put me in a terrible position.
 31st of Jul, 2008 by   George Morris 0 Votes
We just got ripped off by Best Buy and the Geek Squad. The clown, possibly an insult to guys in red noses, showed up late and charged $350 to mess up the home theater I bought, fail to install all the components, program the remote and give instructions "Its all self-explanatory" and leave in 30 minutes.

DO NOT USE the GEEK SQUAD!!!

Best Buy can't correct it and the Geek Squad wants to send another guy out to waste 4 more hours of my life.

RUN AWAY!!!
 1st of Aug, 2008 by   Heather Fairman 0 Votes
I took my 16 month old hp laptop to best buy to have the ac jack replaced, I paid 254.00 dollars because it was not under warranty. I took it home only to find that it was worse than when I took it in, my ac was not fixed, and none of my quickplay and volume buttons worked, however I am a very computer literate person and have always kept all my computers cleaned up and running great. I decided that I needed to return to best buy and have the issued looked at again, a week later I get a call saying that it was going to cost me another 441.00 dollars to fix the ac jack and that my hard drive was no good, all I have to say is wtf my computer worked great before I took it to them (besides the ac jack that was only loose) I told them to send it back that I would not ever pay that much to fix something that should never had been broken to begin with. NEVER, I REPEAT NEVER TAKE ANYTHIONG TO BEST BUY GEEK SQUAD!!!
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   Rob 0 Votes
I'll keep this short, brief, & to the point. Here in Fredericksburg, Virginia, took my "Best Buy Purchased" Toshiba laptop to the Geek Squad on August 2, 2008 because the power cable was not working. They also determined that the DC connector needed repair. They "Estimated the Repair Completion" date as August 9, 2008. Today I spent almost 3 hours on the phone getting a run around by the local/national geek squad agents because they really couldn't determine or provide the status of what has been done to the laptop to date. Needless to say, The Geek Squad do not seem to have a sense of urgency to support the customer or expedite the repairs...not even for a student that needs the laptop for school immediately. Also, when they spoke, they hip-shotted to the point where there days/dates were inconsistent and couldn't do anything except send an "Escalation Request" via e-mail...no response yet though 2 were sent last weekend...they never called me as they indicated on August 9, 10, 11, or 12; hence my phone calls today. Oh - the laptop was received at the Geek Squad City for repairs on 8 August 2008...the local office failed to mention this. Bottom-line, I still don't have a laptop, it was obviously sitting around the local office for a few days, no repairs or status exists, they are waiting for an e-mail response because they obviously can't collaborate by phone, and no immediate resolution is evident.

I provided this information for consideration when weighing the pros/cons when selecting a technology support vendor.
 14th of Sep, 2008 by   nicetgirl 0 Votes
I can beat all of that. Comcast decided to contract them out when we got the cable/internet/phone deal. I work nights, so I needed an afternoon appointment or later. He started calling us at 8 AM, trying to get us to agree. Finally, he just showed up at 10:30 unannounced. He didn't want to use our crawl space, which was fine with us. We hate to use it, so we aren't going to force anyone else to. However, he decided to put the cable on the wrong side of the house.

The side he put it on is between our house and a BAD neighbor. We just have a narrow space between houses, and their kids are always pulling stuff, like drain pipes, off of our house. A month later, we're still surprised they haven't managed to remove the cable. Of course, the job he did was pathetic. Comcast has had to come out THREE times to redo various connections, including what ever he did up on the pole.

One of the problems was with the phone. I have my 90 year old grandmother here. We need to have a valid phone at all times, just in case we need 911. Thankfully, there are two cell phones in the house, since we were without our Comcast number for awhile. We still have problems with one of the phones.

And then we come to the best of all. The computers. He was refusing to set up my desktop at all. He even claimed that a) no one told him we had a desktop; b) Geek Squad (the company) doesn't work on desktops. When I told him I wouldn't sign off on his paperwork without the desktop, he did something with the LAN card set up, said it didn't work, and told me that he would have to charge me $100 an hour (he would charge, not Geek Squad) to work on it.

So I told him I'd just try to run Linux and see if that would help. He gave me a dirty look, then stopped working. He said the laptop was set up, and that's all we needed. He also left our second TV unconnected. He told me that I could do that however I wanted. I still wouldn't sign off, so he said he needed something from the truck. He left me upstairs to hook up the TV, and got someone else in the family to sign off before he snuck off.

Still not convinced that the computer was the best part? Well, there's more. He didn't actually set up the laptop to use our connection. That would have taken effort. Instead, a neighbor had an unsecured account in broadcast range, so he just tapped us into that. Technically, that's illegal. But then, so is trying to bully a customer of $100 in cash for what Comcast / Geek Squad paid him for.

So, to sum up - The idiot wired the wrong side of the house, because it saved him five minutes of work, did a half-@ssed job with the cable, resulting in it being redone by Comcast at their expense, messed up the downstairs TV (took the DVD & VHS off line to save time), gave us what was obviously a used cable box for On Demand (it had to be replaced the next day), a used router that had to be replaced, messed up a desktop (for the record, the LAN worked with Ubuntu Linux), and set up an illegal connection for our laptop. Then after all of that, he expected us to be stupid enough to give him a $100 tip to finish his job.

Yes, I would recommend Geek Squad. To everyone I don't like.
 25th of Sep, 2008 by   Ken 0 Votes
Geek squad was a total joke. Phoned them about a diagnostic for a PC not posting. They said to take it into Best Buy Geek Squad and it would take a couple of hours to diagnose. Got to Best Buy and the guy plugs in the computer to tell me it was not posting. No shit...it is why I brought it in. I asked how long for a diagnostic. Response was 5-6 days and if I wanted to double my payment he could get it done in 3 days. Let alone they even charge for a diagnostic. The agent was really a rude prick to add onto the situation.

Took the computer down the street to a mom & pop store, they plugged in some new memory and solved the problem. Cost was for the memory only.

Stay away from Geek Squad.
 2nd of Oct, 2008 by   jbgfarms 0 Votes
Geek Squad in Gainesville, GA. I took my laptop in because it would not charge properly. The Geek Squad told me that it was obviously the DC Jack. Everything in my computer worked fine before I took it in, it would just not charge without wiggling the wires. So, I had to send off for the DC Jack and get them to send it to me and then go back to Best Buy for them to fix. When I took it back there was a young guy there. He took my computer and I asked him when I could pick it up. He said that he was about to leave to go on vacation but that he had to fix my computer before he could leave. (This should have thrown up a red flag but from what I read it seemed like an easy fix.) Well, when I went back to pick it up that afternoon they told me the DC Jack was fine but that there was something wrong with the motherboard. The charged be to do a diagnostic and told me that it would be too expensive to fix and asked me if I wanted a sales person to look at laptops. Well, I found out later that the young guy who could wait to go on vacation fried my motherboard when he was soldering in the DC Jack. Thanks Geeek Squad!
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Brandon Shelton 0 Votes
They are rip offs. They charge way too much for little things. i think they target people who no nothing about computers and pay big money because they think it's hard to do easy things.
 30th of Oct, 2008 by   emmy 0 Votes
Back in Jan. "08, we had a computer under warranty that was replaced by Best Buy (Milpitas, Ca.). We asked the Geek Squad technician for the hard drive of the old computer and we were told that they can't do that and that they will retrieve all data and dispose of the computer. We paid for the retrival of all data from the old hard drive. Fast forward to Oct. 30, 2008, we received a phone call from a company in So. California informing us that they do have our hard drive with personal informations and family pictures. The company wants us to pay for the hard drive plus the shipping and handling. We called the 800# and spoke to several people with promises that they will call us back. We spoke with Best Buy Geek Squad supervisor and all they could do is just give us another no. to call while those vital informations in our hard drive is still out there somewhere. We asked for help and all they could do is give us more phone numbers.

In their information card it says that their "task force was established to protect society from the assault of computerized technology." Technology with responsibility should be included in their training. Trust is what I gave them that very first time I let them hold that computer. Irresponsible mishandling of vital information of this company's workers should be one of their main concern.
 8th of Nov, 2008 by   Marjorie 0 Votes
I had a popup that I thought was a virus on my computer. I called geek squad to have them help me. I was told they could fix it over the phone. What a mistake I made. My computer was working good until I called them to remove what I thought was a virus. Geek was on the phone for 4 hours with me. Then all of a sudden there was a busy signal on the phone. They hung up the phone. I tried to call back but was told they did not know who it was that was doing the work and they would credit my account back $100.00. I said wait a minute I paid $185.12 and my computer didn't even work. At least before it worked except the ignoring pop ups. We agued for 20 minuts on the phone. They couldn't even figure out what the guy did to my computer. It was five days before I got the credit back. They wanted me to spend another $299.00 to have a guy come to my house. I said no. A friend of ours came to fix our computer and she knows what to do to fix it. She worked over 20 hours before she could get the internet connection back. Don't go to Geek Squad Ever unless you want your computer to not work and cost you big bucks for it.
 17th of Nov, 2008 by   John 0 Votes
Phineas Fogg almost met his match! On August 30th we dropped a computer (Dell XPSone) which had an ODD failure. Now this was after a week or so of my diagnostics and getting them and Dell to stop pointing fingers at each other. Note: I did not buy the extra 'Juice' for the computer, figuring I would have Dell's warranty. Wrong. They sold it to Best Buy, who in turn trys to re-sell you this at 300.00. But that is another story (and maybe an Attorny General or two)

Well on October 2nd, we got our PC back. Same problem.
They then re-sent it out, this time replacing the LCD monitor, ODD, and Mother board.

Well on October 26th, it returned. More problems. Not just the ODD, now it auto shuts off.
They re-sent it out, this time replacing the motherboard and ODD.

Just got it back. It appears to be working.

Of course there is a recomendation to replace the hard drive and OS. This computer has barely been used

A little more than 80 day turn around. Actually 80 days and 3 hours. And since there is no international date line between Rhode Island and Louisville, Phineas Fogg wins!

So right now I am up to 4 ODD, 3 mother boards, 2 LCD monitor, and one ex customer

(Phineas Fogg---Around the World in 80 days--Jules Verne)
 21st of Nov, 2008 by   Steve Curtis 0 Votes
Geek Squad is unprofessional, understaffed and overrated. They have had my laptop for 8 days now. They can never take my call because they are too busy. They do not return my messages. When I finally managed to get through to a Geek I was put on hold hell and then finally told my computer shoud be ready the next day. Called the next day and was told they confused me with another client. My computer could take up to 3 more days. I will never use their service again and rcommend that you look elsewhere for your computer service needs.
 13th of Feb, 2009 by   Bolan 0 Votes
Santa Clarita, CA - The Geek Squad tries to portray itself as computer savvy nerds. It's a great image and is exactly the type of person we wanted to install our new surround sound system from Best Buy. Trouble is, the people who actually showed up were unhelpful, unfriendly and in some cases down right hostile. If you have ever noticed, the nerds are strategically employed as the first people you see when you contact Geek Squad. But the guys who come out are seasoned A###holes

We purchased nearly $3000.00 of stuff. We payed for (what we thought) would be a full installation of our speaker system. What we got was our speakers not attached to anything. They were connected to the new TV ok, but just placed on shelves behind our couch and they had stuffed the speakers wire behind the couch to hide it. No wires were ran along the walls. They simply trailed them across the floor.

I took photos and showed them to a manager at Best Buy and he was shocked. Two weeks later they send another guy and he too refused to attach the speakers and finish the job. Even though we had payed top $$$ for an install.

Spoke to the manager again, He said he would get it fixed, I said "OK, just don't send the same guy again". so two weeks later - they send the same guy. and again he refuses to fix it.

Now Best Buy are not returning my calls. My advise is use anyone but the Geek Squad.
 5th of Jun, 2009 by   Ms Neicy 0 Votes
geek squad sucks. i bought my computer the end of Feb (27th) of 09'. Well, exactly one month later, the computer is lagging. I hadnt used the computer much (just for emailing back and forth and occasional facebook checkups) so i couldnt understand what was going on. Thankfully for me i had bought the extended warranty with geek squad, so i brought it in and they looked at it for free. they told me they needed to run more tests on it and it would take 2 days. 7 days later i finally get a call saying there are corrupt files on my computer and it will cost 50 bucks to fix. i told them to kiss my @ss! And the worst part of all, my computer got even slower! ha, thanks geek squad. ill never buy from best buy again.
 4th of Sep, 2009 by   cfunkbner 0 Votes
I took my laptop in to get fixed. It was blue screening. they said my hrdware was messed up and I was going to need a new one. Guy gave me the prices and I told him to install a hard drive so that when I get there it is ready for pick up. When I showed up nobody knew what I was talking about. Laptop didnt have a new drive and there was no note about my call. After arguing a lil bit I got a discounted hard drive and tey installed it. I ended up paying $360 to get my computer fixed jsut to find out while I was trying to install ym operating system, there was still a hard drive problem. sent ti to my friend, a guy who fixes Dell computers, and he swapped that hard drive for another one which I had to pay for. Also, he found that when he got my laptop up and running ti only had 1Gig of memory and my memory sticks wern't the same. He said Dells come wit identical memory sticks and that was not the case for my laotop. Along with that, my cd rom drive wouldnt work. Couldn't read all of my discs. Ended up paying my friend $140 to fix my computer properly.

Well guess what? Geek squad was supposed to back ALL of my files. I made it very clear and specified how important my music, school work and years worth of pictures are. I emphasized the importance of my files and asked to PLEASE save all my files on a series of discs. None of my drivers were on my computer. I couldnt listen to any of my music. I have no sound now. To top it off some of my Itunes music is missing and my files were scattered throughout. Oh and NONE OF MY PICTURES ARE THERE!!! NONE! ALL GONE!

I called Geek squad yesterday and tried to get a refund for the shitty hard drive they sold me. They pretty much said I was screwed unless I take them the one they sold me. I guess thats understandable.

Well, I called back today to speak to the manager and he wasn't there. I had the rep take a message with my problema nd my number. I told her I wanted to know what he plans to do about all of this. I am now awaiting for a call back.
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   MunchieT 0 Votes
yep - If you like waiting 4-5 weeks until your TV gets fixed...then the GeekSquad is for you. My Panasonic 50" Plasma has broken twice since I bought it in Dec 2008. Both times, it takes 4-5 weeks to have a working TV again. It's STUPID!
 10th of Oct, 2009 by   KwameAnsah 0 Votes
Geek squad is the worst and I predict its demise. My opinion is totally based of service recieved from Boston area-Landmark Center-Bestbuy. The worse service ever. Sent in my iphone for repair three weeks ago and still cannot get a word as to it's the status. I cannot even get the supervisor to give me a definitive on the status of my phone. I have had a hellis experinece with these guys. I spoke to a Richard today who hang up on me twice. Customer service is extremely poor. Techie with no sales or customer experience. If you have to go to geek squad for anything I feel sorry for you. My efforts are geared towards respect for the customer is responsible for their business existence. Change or demise.
 17th of Oct, 2009 by   bostonjohnny 0 Votes
They are terrible, everytime we've gone there (yes, we've made the mistake more than once!) its been an awful experience. Over charged, horrible service, very impolite, slow, and i had to do all the checking in! they were never proactive to let me know anything! We just use Secure Remote Support now www.secureremotesupport.com, and they're great. I highly recommend if you want the opposite of Geek Squad!

Tips for the Perfect Christmas Tree