logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
sri kanyaka parameswari arts and science college
Too much money collect all student and student treat like a slave
2. (2 mins ago)
Bank Of Africa
Bennedict Joseph
3. (6 mins ago)
Free of Blemishes
posting fake comments and product is a scam
4. (8 mins ago)
awful store

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

GE french door bottom freezer refrigerator Complaints & Reviews - motherboard failure and not cooling

GE french door bottom freezer refrigerator Contacts & Informations

GE french door bottom freezer refrigerator

Posted:    uncool

motherboard failure and not cooling

GE
Hello Mr. Zutterman

I did not hear back from you about my complaint with my 2 year old ge profile french door bottom freezer refrigerator. My experience with the GE Customer Service division has been unsatisfactory. I called the 800 3861215 number you provided with me, got through in a timely fashion, and consulted a service agent this morning about my discovery of your knowledge of my defective product. The agent, Elaine Baker, was familiar with the faulty motherboard in my exact model refrigerator. It is intolerable that the ge service tech who came to my house on a call yesterday was not aware of the motherboard issue on the PFS22 during the time that my unit was manufactured. I specifically asked him if there was any issue of defective motherboards on this unit. He said no.

I have a case number now. It is 033756093. My model, PFS22SBSSS, serial number SL07156, was manufactured during the time period (May 2005- August 2006) you reference in your November 7, 2006 letter to GE customer Care Servicers acknowledging the motherboard failure issue.

Your customer Service rep, Ms. Elaine Baker had a lot of wrong information about my unit. The model number she had was wrong, and so was the date of installation. My refrigerator was delivered to me on October 27, 2006; not June 30 2007, as your customer care rep claimed. The correct model number and serial number are indicated on my delivery slip dated 10/27/06. Surely my unit could not have been manufactured after the day it was delivered to me. Ms. Baker agreed to refund me the $179.98 for motherboard, but not the service call and labor charge of $179.98. I argued with her about the date my unit was manufactured, but she would not listen. She said my unit was not one of the affected products. How could she know? And why would GE pay in full labor and part for other serial numbered same-model defective units but not mine?

Needless to say I am very unhappy with my refrigerator, and with the way I have been treated by General Electric Customer Care. To make matters worse, the motherboard replaced by the service tech did not fix my refrigerator. John, the tech, was certain this was the issue-- even when I questioned him as to what if the unit still did not cool? He insisted this would be the fix. Well sir, he replaced that motherboard, took my money, and drove off before he checked to see if the unit was operating properly. Incidentally, the receipt I have from the tech indicates the date of installation as 9/09/2006: which is before I even purchased the unit. The electronic refrigerator and freezer temp reading was at 78 when the tech left yesterday, and it has stayed at 78 since. A GE service tech is coming back tomorrow. I really hope he or she can fix the problem.

No one expects to buy a very expensive refrigerator and have it totally crap out before it is 3 years old. I had to throw away everything from my freezer, and almost everything from my frig. The unit broke down last week, so I have trying to keep my food in ice chests, but this is difficult in July; especially without a convenient supply of ice. I have been grossly inconvenienced by this entire episode.

I have cancelled the check 5859 I wrote for the service tech for $374. 78 on 7/20/2009. I refuse to pay for the 7/20/09 service call and labor to replace a known crucial defect on a very nearly new refrigerator: especially because you, sir, acknowledged and addressed the issue. I deserve to have my refrigerator repaired for free. When I get the refund check for $179.98, as promised by Ms. Baker, I will send it back to GE immediately. I also believe your company should reimburse me for my spoiled food. I understand other people with the same model recieved $75.00 for food spoilage. Hardly adequate, but I would accept this.

I expect to hear a reply acknowledging this communication. I will also copy this email to customer service so that it may become part of my case. I hope to settle this dispute, and more importantly, get my beautiful refrigerator running properly so that I can safely store food to feed my family.

Very Truly Yours,

Suzanne Gallo
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

5th of Sep, 2009 by   Dawn Evert 0 Votes
Well said. I see I am not alone. My refrigerator was delivered around October 22, 2006. Can't wait to see if I will get help or not.
 13th of Oct, 2009 by   Sue C. 0 Votes
Seems that I am in the same dilemma. Replaced motherboard ineffective. Anyone know what actually needs to be fixed. I am five hundred into repairs (useless) plus service call fees. Is there a solution or should I cut my losses and buy new?
 30th of Oct, 2009 by   Sharon needs help 0 Votes
I had the same problem. When the refrigerator was about 2 years old I had to replace the motherboard because the freezer stopped working. I also lost a lot of food. This happened in the summer. The following winter it worked fine and then this past summer started having problems again, with the freezer temperature rising to about 15 degrees. My husband thinks the problem is related to the ice maker getting blocked. Not sure why this would be, but since we've started keeping it turned off after it's full we've been able to avoid a serious problem. It seems like the ice gets jammed and the paddle won't move. Does any one have any suggestions on how to deal with GE? I think there is definitely a flaw in the product. My unit was 3 years old in March 2009, so it falls within the period you're talking about. Did you get a response?

Sharon
 20th of Feb, 2010 by   jim24 0 Votes
2-20-10

We just had a technician repair our GE GSH25SGRESS today. We paid $339 for the repair and he never mentioned a recall.
I found another site that listed the model numbers but I couldn't find mine. Same issue of motherboard fai

Does anyone know if the GSH25SGRESS is under this recall?

Thanks

Jim
espemg7@hotmail.com
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   sdevert 0 Votes
I had the power go out in the fridge 3 times before I called the repairman. I took everything out and unplugged the fridge, so it was unplugged a few days before he got there. He couldn't find any problem, so he left me with an $80 bill. The fridge has failed again and again, but I keep getting it started again. I don't know what to do.

I did notice an issue with the ice maker, too. It just doesn't quit making ice, so I have to turn the ice maker off.

If anybody has ideas on how to approach GE, I would love to hear them.

Mortgages and Interest Rates Explained