logo

Scam

Freelancer.com
Australia
freelancer.com
Freelancer.com is scam! I have had my account suspended twice! The first time they suspended my account happened a few months ago. I had about $1000 on my account and eventually lost all the earnings (I worked as a freelancer) and got my account terminated. After some time passed I decided to register another account on Freelancer.com. Now the account is suspended again! I have earned $700 that I have had no chance to withdraw. Seems frustrating, isn't it? But I am fine :) They may have my account suspended and terminated, my money stolen, but those swindlers will not be able to steal my knowledge. Omnia mea mecum porto! :)

I will never work on Freelancer.com again because Freelancer.com is scam. Wanna lost your money and waste your time, be sure to visit Freelancer.com! :) That is what I would suggest anyone interested in working on Freelancer.com. So, stay away from it or you may end up writting your own complaints on Complaintsboard.com. ;)

Guys! Let's cooperate against Freelancer.com! My email address is kill-freelancer.com@yandex.ru Feel free to drop me a line!

Comments Australia Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Feb, 2011 by   Freelancer Support -3 Votes
We appreciate your feedback about Freelancer.com

Please note that we do not respond to customer issues on public forums. If you would like to contact us directly our Support Team are available 24/7 here or email customer-support@freelancer.com.

If your complaint is regarding a legal or compliance issue you can email legal@freelancer.com or write to us at PO Box 1121, Double Bay NSW 1360, AUSTRALIA.

Freelancer.com is the world's largest global outsourcing platform with over two million registered users. We value feedback from our users and would like to take the opportunity to improve wherever we can.

Kind Regards,
Freelancer Support Team
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   CBR1969 +3 Votes
I am in a similar position. I have had my account suspended thrice, and all the time when I was about to withdraw money. They are all out to steal your money stay away from them!
RJ.
India.
 11th of Mar, 2011 by   Nitin Naresh +3 Votes
We would like to take your kind support and help in exposing off one of the biggest scam and fraud company with the name Freelancer.com Run by Matt Barrie who is the so called CEO of the company.
The company has always been in the news and press for providing one of the best platform for outsourcing but after surveying and searching the internet for past 2 months and after having a personal bitter experience with the company and a long discussion with their CEO we would like to state that the company is nothing but merely a HUB of scams and fraud. This company is not only doing internet frauds and scams but also spoiling the name of the country in which it is registered.
We registered as a service provider on the website 2 months back and won lot of projects online, our clients created milestone payments for us using their paypal accounts and all of a sudden company blocked our account without any reasons.
They asked for verification documents in such a manner that we got furios for the issue. The company asked us not to cross mark anything on the documents and also asked the owner of the company to send their passport and a verification code in both the hands and send them the pictures. This kind of verification made us quite suspect along with their statement that we must not darken or blurt or put any cross mark for our safety on the documents.
When searching on the internet we also found out that this company use to steal the identity of people and rip off them for their money. They use the id proof and documents of their site users for scams and frauds which involve money.
They Also usually suspend the accounts of the users when they are about to withdraw the money for their hardwork which they have done online. Apart then this company also suspends the accounts of the users who have some money in their accounts in the form of milestone payments and then mentally harass them to send multiple documents and never reinstate their accounts.
They also never refund the payments back to the project owners who had made the payments for the freelancer and neither they withdraw the money to freelancers. This way the company is running a huge huge scam online and both the project owners and freelancers are harassed.
One such incident occured with us when our clients with their username itgenie, eloko, proshopexpert made the milestone payments of 200 USD each and asked us to start the project, all of a sudden our accounts were suspended and our money with them freezed.
We sent them multiple emails, talked to their staff which really has very very poor customer support service. But no resolution was made, they also denied to refund the money to our clients and also didnt allowed us to withdraw the money, it was paypal who supported us at that moment and helped us to get our money back from freelancer.com which we paid to the company for getting the gold membership.
Finally we agreed to send them our documents but only on condition that we also requested them to send the documents of their company, their legal status, registration certificates along with the documents of the owner of the company in order to ensure that the company is a registered legal company and our documents are going in safe hand, but company denied to send us stating that they have strict privacy policy and they never send their documents for cross verification- which again made us suspect of the company.
You can check the authencity of our email by checking freelancer.com scam, freelancer.com fraud, getafreelancer.com scam, getafreelancer.com fraud and google will direct you to various websites like www.fucklancer.in, /link removed/ www.scam.org.
All the above three portals will have hundreds and hundreds of complaints against this company.
I strongly believe that the staff of this company must be put behind the bars for ripping off the users for their hard earned money.
with warm regards
Nitin Naresh

www.fucklancer.in
 13th of Mar, 2011 by   psycho85 0 Votes
I wanted to order some services through the Freelancer. I deposited more than $1500, and after that freelancer has suspended my account.

They required a scanned copy of my passport. I have contacted them in Live chat and asked to explain why they have stolen my money. They said that this information is confidential. Then I asked them to provide me their certificate of registration to make sure they are serious company and my documents will not be used in fraudulent purposes. They have refused to do it and started to blackmail me that will not return my money. Finally I have sent them my passport.

The next day I have received a message that my passport is accepted, but they also need a photo of myself holding a piece of paper with the verification word and my username on it!!!

I have contacted their supervisor and asked him why they require my personal information and who gave them the right to make verifications. He has answered me using a template that they can't share the reason of suspension, and the right to require personal information is GIVEN TO THEM BY THEIR TERMS OF SERVICES!!! How is it, huh? I have asked him whether their Terms of Services have the constitutional power, after that he has started to blackmail me again they they will never unblock my account.

I asked him how many verifications are they going to make, and he has promised that this is the last one. I have done the necessary photo and uploaded it.

The next day I have opened My Account and have seen... that they even haven't responded me!!! I have contacted them again and asked what's the matter. They have said that they also need my photo with the verification word on paper and my passport in the hand! I have said that yesterday I was promised that previous photo will be the last proof they require from me, they told this is not true. Then I asked them why have they lied me, and they have told me that they simply don't take responsibility for the words of other support agents!!! Then I required to invite the supervisor I talked to the previous day, but the support agent has refused to do it and left the chat.

I have contacted their support again and asked them whether they have the document that allows them to collect personal information of their customers. They have said "Yes, we have it!". Then I asked them to provide me a scanned copy of it. The support agent has answered using a template that this document is confidential in nature and not for public disclosure. I have said that THE SCANNED PASSPORT is a confident document, same as the photoes of its owner that is holding it in the hand. Also I have said that this kind of documents is not confidential, and if they refuse to provide it, it means they DON'T HAVE IT AT ALL!! After that support agent has stopped responding at all and some minutes later left the chat conversation without any explanations.
I have sent them the photo they required again, but have decided that this will be the last document I send to them. Also I have mentioned in the description that in case my account is not reactivated within 24 hours, i will have to report a problem to PayPal.
How do you think, what have I seen the next morning? They have refunded money!!!
Now it is obvious for me that they simply TRIED TO STEAL MY FUNDS AND WHERE WAITING UNTIL 45 DAYS WILL PASS AND I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO OPEN DISPUTES. THAT IS WHY THEY MADE SO MANY VERIFICATIONS!! But after I have mentioned that I will open disputes they have decided that it is better to return me money.

As a result of my report I want to point out that Freelancer.com is a fraudulent company. Why? They collect your personal info, but at the same time they have no rights for this: they don't have a document that allows them do it. How do they use it? Well, there are lots of ways on the internet how to use personal information in fraudulent purposes.

Please think twice before you send them anything - FREELANCER.COM EVEN DOESN'T HAVE THE CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION! Also they use any chance to steal your funds, SO IN CASE YOU HAVE YOUR ACCOUNT SUSPENDED, OPEN DISPUTES IMMEDIATELLY!!! IF YOU FAIL TO DO IT, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY.

And if you haven't use freelancer yet, but you are going to do it in the near future, then read my article and think twice whether you need so much headaches at once.

PLEASE REMEMBER - FREELANCER.COM is a SCAM!
 17th of Apr, 2011 by   freelancer dot com lover -4 Votes
These people are going around different boards voicing their supposed complaints about freelancer.com. I don't know what's the motive behind their complaints. Are they trying to tell us that they're stupid or an idiot? I mean if you're getting ripped off by that kind of an amount surely would indicate that they are. Just imagine, he was getting scammed ( according to him) by $1, 000 the first time and he went back and allowed himself to be scammed again by $700? How stupid can he get? If that was not stupidity to the highest extreme, I don't know what is. I don't believe to all these craps I tell you.
 15th of Jun, 2011 by   Allanon +2 Votes
They will lock your account when you attempt to withdraw funds. Paypal will not honor any disputes b/c the product is virtual. They have no phone number. They request a government issued ID before they communicate with you. It's a complete and obvious scam. Good luck to anyone dealing with them. Google is littered with complaints about these people.
 14th of Jul, 2011 by   Rupertk +2 Votes
An Engineer,
Simply what I have to tell is, Freelancer.com is a scam and cannot be trusted. I was with them for over three years and didnt have any issue regarding withdrawals etc. But all of a sudden they suspended me for no reason and demanded my ID proof. Eventhough i sent what they asked for, I still couldnt get my account working. They virtually dont have a customer service, the online support (Chat) is just another pointless way, as they always say they dont have authority to deal with the matter. So what is the point of online support.. Interestingly, they suspended me when I tried to withdraw my money. It is hard to believe but now I too think they are a scam and they pick people to rip after few years or so, once they have trust on them, and money on their account ofcourse. I informed this to all of my customers not to use Freelancer.com or upload funds. Their fraudulent intentions are apparent as they never use their full names or addresses, which I happened to notice later.
So from my experience I must warn you, donot use Freelancer.com, they will rip you off when you have money on your account without any prior warning.
rupertk@live.co.uk
 18th of Jul, 2011 by   user19820 +1 Votes
I got f*cked by freelancer.com in the *ss. They suspended my account with money inside.
They asked me to send Gov ID. Luckily I haven't done that. These guys are crooks. They harvesting your data and you don't know what are they going to do with it. They can simply call your bank pretend to be you or apply for credit. Then you are f*cked twice. This is time in your mouth! Freelancer.com is scam. Stay away. They don't provide number for you to call.
The customer service is from 4th world country.

I don't mind send Gov ID if they tell me earlier in during registration. But after a bad service, do you think you want to give it to them?!!!
 18th of Jul, 2011 by   user19820 +1 Votes
@freelancer dot com lover: you are freelancer.com employee or you are from 4th world country paid by freelancer.com to defend?
Elance.com is much better!
 18th of Jul, 2011 by   jackuser8273 +1 Votes
If you are about to use Freelancer.com, don’t, you will not have peace for the rest of your life. If you’ve done business with them, be careful, read on. Freelancer.com is harvesting your REAL data with your Photo. They will do anything so that you will submit your Government issued ID or Passport. The most common way is to suspend your account with your money inside.
In order for you to recover your account you need to submit full color high resolution Government ID / Passport. They will reject it if it’s a black and white even with high resolution. Or they will reject color ID but low resolution. Or they will reject your ID card not issued by government. Does not make sense at all.

Once you have submitted it, they will ask you to take your photo holding a code given by them and with your passport or government ID. They want to verify that you are real. Don’t you find this is fishy? This is just a freelancer website. Even website with high sensitivity and money involved (eg. Paypal, google checkout), they never ask you submit full color high resolution Government ID.

When you have this sensitive data and high resolution Gov ID, they can do anything. They can re-produce the card, apply for credit card. They literally can do anything with it. They have your email address, real name, passport id, address, date of birth etc. Using this data I can impersonate you and call your bank. This is just simple example. Spam companies or other not legit company will pay top dollar your real data.
When they refunded your money after you submitted your Gov ID, don’t be happy. Don’t think they are legit. Ask yourself why they need this? This is the first time a website ask for my Gov ID!

For my case, I have $450 in my account and my account suspended. Paypal will not help you to recover your money since this is a service. Which I’m very disappointed although it’s clearly to do with scam. The money is deposit, not purchasing any service from them. I have a choice to fight back through my bank. But definitely I will not send them my Gov ID. This company is from Australia. It’s NOT common for a company to ask for your full color high resolution Gov ID unless you deal with government agencies.
If you need freelancer website, search from google. Elance.com and odesk have good reputation. They have real people answering your phone. Freelancer.com doesn’t have phone number and no address, just PO BOX. Their online chat customer supports are from 3rd world country. They don’t speak English, they just know how to type.

Someone must investigate on this. This is alarming.
 20th of Sep, 2011 by   markus2020 +1 Votes
This is correct. we are a US company and will detail our story soon. Unreal Our account was suspended for no reason we will detail our story shortly. STAY AWAY FROM FREELANCER. SCAM SCAM SCAM
 25th of Nov, 2011 by   Mike7367 +1 Votes
Shoot! Wish I had done my research before I posted a job on there. We wanted someone to make us a health website so thought freelancer would be perfect. Does anyone here know what happens if we just never pick a "winner" for our project? Can I just cancel my account after that and never get charged anything?
 18th of Jun, 2012 by   Anonymous3301 +1 Votes
Freelancer.com is a big cheat / scam... they never help freelancers, they will take project fees from you even if the employer cancel a project. They don't have good customer support. They don't help freelancers at all. They have policy of keeping your money forever... These cheaters will not let you withdraw your money if its less then $30 (even if you want to close your account, they will keep whatever money left in your account if the amount is less then $30).

They work on their own rules (actually no rules at all) they will do whatever they want to do... they don't care if you want to work with them or not, you can never win a claim against them.

The Arbitration system or dispute resolution system is also a big scam.. they will charge you fees to resolve the issue and they will never help freelancer to get money, they will most probably be in favor of the employer or they will give neutral decision also you can only claim dispute for the amount for which milestone is created, if the employer of the project has not created any milestone then you can't even file a dispute, and if you ask for 100% milestone from employers then most of the employers will not accept it ... employers can cheat you, will take your work and will fly away and you can't get any help from freelancer.com or getafreelancer.com guys. They are all cheaters... if you want to loose your money and want to regret later then only join freelancer.com
 24th of Jun, 2012 by   EmirFreelancer.com -1 Votes
Hi Mike7367. Emir here from Freelancer.com. I came across your post here and I’d like to help.

It is possible not to pick a bid on your project. What happens is that the project merely expires and you have an option whether to continue or not. Freelancer.com provides options which work best for employers. If you have a project that hasn't been awarded yet, you can close the Project at no additional cost. We do charge a $5 fee to completely delete a project. When a project is deleted no one will be able to view the project, the attached files nor any of the bids on the project. The information will be unavailable to affiliates and the API. This should also remove it from the search engines next time they re-index our site. For more information, please visit the Freelancer.com FAQ (http://www.freelancer.com/faq/view.php) specifically the Employers - Project section. You can also cancel your account anytime by contacting our Online Help Desk. But we strongly suggest that you see for yourself what Freelancer.com can do for your business. Freelancer.com has one of the largest pools of proven and very qualified freelancers and reputable employers and because of this, employers from all around the world flock to our site.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you. Should you have further enquiries, please send an e-mail to customer-support@freelancer.com and we’ll answer them shortly.

Thank you very much and we hope to see you use Freelancer.com services.
 3rd of Jul, 2012 by   Kushagra Mittal +1 Votes
Where can I legally file a complaint against freelancer.com website?
 3rd of Jul, 2012 by   Kushagra Mittal +1 Votes
How can I file a complaint against freelancer.com website?
 4th of Jul, 2012 by   EmirFreelancer.com -1 Votes
Hi everyone. I saw the posts here at this http://www.complaintsboard.com thread and I’d like to address these concerns.

I would like to inform you that Freelancer.com is not a scam nor does it operate to cheat users. It is a legitimate business with more than 3.7 million users and hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers. As of to date, we have paid out more than $134, 000, 000 to freelancers all around the world.

Freelancer.com has dedicated Support Teams available 24/7 ready to respond and resolve account issues quickly. They can be contacted through e-mail or live chat. Please be assured that Freelancer.com takes great care of its users.

Be further assured that Freelancer.com does not take away funds or money from its users. We deduct nominal project fees, paid membership plans and charges for our services. For more information about our fees and charges, please visit these links - http://www.freelancer.com/faq/view.php and http://www.freelancer.com/news/articles.html.

As for cancelled projects, it is possible to get a project fee refund. Users only need to file a ticket and ask for a refund. Once we’ve established that the employer no longer wishes to continue with the project, we will release the refund.

Please be assured as well that funds are not kept at Freelancer.com. Should an account be suspended, funds will be on hold for the duration of the account verification procedure. Once it’s been completed, the funds will be made available.

As for withdrawing funds, we do require users to withdraw a minimum of $30. But be assured we’ve taken into account your feedback about this matter.

As for our arbitration system or the Dispute Resolution System, this service is an additional benefit for those who use the Freelancer.com Milestone Payment. We do make it clear that using this service requires a nominal $5 fee. We explain to our users who use this to exhaust all possible methods to resolve their issues with their employers or service providers before using our Dispute Resolution System. Please be assured that we are always fair in resolving disputes and we base our verdicts on facts provided by both employer and freelancer.

We strongly believe that our Milestone Payment System serves both employers and freelancers alike as it helps projects get completed smoothly. By placing a Milestone Payment, we will hold the funds until you are 100% happy with the work completed. For freelancers, asking for Milestone Payment will give you peace of mind and it will also show that the employer is prepared to put up money for the project.

As we mentioned earlier, we have taken into account all of your feedback about service and support. We will continue to improve on the work that we do to serve you better.

Should you have further enquiries, please send an e-mail to customer-support@freelancer.com and we’ll address them promptly.

Thank you very much.
 31st of Jul, 2012 by   EmirFreelancer.com 0 Votes
Hi Kushagra Mittal. My name is Emir and I work for Freelancer.com.

We appreciate the feedback.I’m here to address and resolve any concern that you may have about Freelancer.com. Please be assured that Freelancer.com will only suspend or freeze account to verify a user’s identity or the transactions done through the site. Once an account has been verified, we will lift the suspension. I’ve also looked into your case for you and your account issues have been resolved. You may now continue on with your projects. Should you have additional concerns or enquiries, please send an e-mail to emir@freelancer.com and I’ll assist you.

Thank you very much.
 31st of Aug, 2012 by   scam haters 0 Votes
I had an email sent to my computer from my boss and opened it and read it. It was about freelancer.com. I didnt even sign up and some how they retrieved my credit card info off the computer and tried to withdrawl money every minute for 4 days untill they finally got everything I had ont there, This company is the biggest scam ever and I wish I could meet one of the owners face to face. I got my money back but this is BS!!! I will vow to get this place shut down
 31st of Aug, 2012 by   scam haters 0 Votes
Freelancer.com can all they want, I NEVER SIGNED UP NEVER GAVE ANY INFO< JUST READ THE ADD AND THEY RETRIEVED ALL MY INFO OFF MY COMPUTER AND THEY TRIED TO TAKE ALOT OF MONEY OFF MY CREDIT CARD< THE WITHDRAWLS WERE TRIED EVERY MINUTE STARTING WITH $1000 untill they found out how much was on my card then that amount was taken off my card and left in -$3.23 SO IF YOU EVER SEE ANY KIND OF EMAIL FROM THEM DELETE IT!!!

Health Care Without Insurance: $100 a Month