logo

Unauthorized Premium Charges

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Florida Department of Children and Families, Orlando, Florida Complaints & Reviews - Denials due to departments neglect

Florida Department of Children and Families Contacts & Informations

Florida Department of Children and Families

Posted:    kriscv

Denials due to departments neglect

Florida Department of children and families
Circute 9 Orange County
Orlando, Florida
I have been trying to get assistance for myself and my family since january. We have been denied every time i apply. At first it was because we had to much assets (Was tax time and have over 5k in the account) . But once that ran out due to the economy and my husband taking a $12 a hour pay cut. We really needed help from our state / country. We have a daughter who is now 2 years old and can not goto the doctor because dcf keeps denying her medical care. We can not make all of our bills and buy food for our family. After many hours on hold and denial letters for what was a obvious mistake on dcf's end all i can do it cry because my family is in need and we can't get the help we need. We have been denied help due to a employee on dcf's side inputting information about our bank account wrong in there system. Instead of putting the end balance they put the beginning balance. (Found that out by speaking to one of the dcf people) then it was that we did not supply the correct paperwork. I keep all my records btw. The paperwork they said i did not send in was faxed and i had conformation. They stated it did not show in there system but when my husband called the local office they said it was there and that they would put it in the system exactly where the information was and we would go up for review again. I was informed our assets were too high and my husband made to much at $9. 00hr with three family members. The assets had to do with there clerical error of inputting the information in wrong. When i called dcf again they informed me that i needed to send in yet more information (Keep in mind i have sent everything in at least twice so far) . They said our daughter had temp medicaid until 30 days from date we were denied once again. As of 6 / 1 / 09 my daughter's medicaid was closed. We only found out when we brought her to the doctor and they said she had broncitus and sinustitus and needed a nebulizer machine to get breathing treatments. I went on 6 / 1 / 09 to pick up her equiptment from a medical supply company and was informed they would not be able to give it to me because date of service showed no coverage. I called dcf again and got no help. I checked the access website and it had said our case would be under review until the 6 / 30 / 09 when i checked the website 6 / 13 / 09 i got this message your account is not active. If you need assistance contact the customer call center at 866 - 762 - 2237. . . I have just found out i am pregnant again and filed once again the proper paperwork for help and have not gotten any response. I dont know what else to do now. I sleep uneasy and stress because i can't help my family and my state / country is not helping me in our time of need. Why have i been paying taxes the last 12 years of my life? Myself and so many others need this help from dcf and we are not getting it. Stop flooding the system with immigrants and system abusers and help the people who live here and who honestly need it. I will be sending a letter to our president our congressmen / congresswoman and anyone else who i think would listen to those who are in need in our country and are getting treated like we are trash. I have already sent a letter to the president of the united states and filed a complaint on http: / / www. Complaintsboard.com / i have also sent a letter to governor charlie crist.
I do not know what else do to but something has to be done for your people.
Comments United States Government & Police
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Dec, 2008 by   Isaac King 0 Votes

Florida Department of Children and Families - Nonfunctional System
Department of Children and Families
Florida
Phone: 866-762-2237

At great expense to Florida tax payers, the Department of Children and Families services has totally insulated themselves from their clients. A great number of offices are only drop off points for paperwork with no possible way to interact with the staff: All phone numbers result in a recorded message or a referal to a recorded message with no hope of resolving your problem. To enhace this process, Florida tax payers also paid to installed the Department of Children and Families Access program to allow their clients to do their work on line which in concept is a great idea since most people on SSI, food stamps, etc. have extensive computer skills and systems for ready on line access. This total isolation from the client is unacceptable. I have spent over 46 hours trying to get a password restored on an Access account for a lady on food stamps and I have contacted the following numbers with absolutely no help.
Office of communications 850-487-0800 - friendly referals to others
Pasco Access Administrator 813-558-5670 - not her job call *2237
Pasco Client Relations Coordiator 813-558-5788 - no help call *2237
Sun Coast Region 813-558-5500 - Transfered to Pasco Nancy Leve
Nancy Leve (never answers or returns calls) - Answering Machine
* Automated Help System - 866-762-2237 - Abmisimal Loop, To get to a human you must let the loop repeat itself at least 3 times then you get the press zero for an operator. Pressing zero results in a long winded recorded message summarized as - we are all busy, call back later. To make the system even better, you have no chance at all unless you call during the normal working hours. Since they never seem to work, that leaves the client zero chance of any access. Do not take my work for this, you have the numbers, give it a try.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   MomAtHerWits 0 Votes
I totally agree with you, and that's because I am a single mother of twin daughters trying to get assistance and their giving me an heart trenching, complicated time. I was denied once already because of a phone interview I missed. Mind you I couldn't get through to no one at the number they provided. I applied a second time and still couldn't get through. I had to contact the customer service line, which what Issac King stated above its an "admissible loop." After, spending three hours at the service center on the phone, and complaing to the representive that I will miss my phone interview again; two days later I recieve a call from an interviewer named "Mirla" who seemed to be giving me a hard time over the phone. Almost as if trying to set me up or confuse me with certain questions. I have complyed with all of their verification request, and it seems as though they are still trying to give me a hard time. What do I have to do to sincerely recieve help? Especially in these times?
 18th of Mar, 2009 by   Dee 0 Votes
I agree it is a big loop of BS in this system and they get your information wrong and then theres no way to get ahold of anybody to correct it!

Dee,
 24th of Mar, 2009 by   kim 0 Votes
I've also had a problem contacting them. Not to mention that I called 3 times and twice someone clicked in and hung up several times until the third time I was disconected. I contacted a friend and they also had the same problem. I'm starting to think they purposly are trying to hang up on clients. Who do I contact to report this?
 2nd of Apr, 2009 by   Trtena Williams +1 Votes
I have been trying to communicate with my case worker or any one at this point in order to resolve my issue over a total of 55 days however there has been absolutely no response and we have been denied for lack of submitting verification never mind the fact I have been calling without been able to get through to a live person due to high call volume and as well I have fax all paper work for verification a number of 3 times without a response. WHAT DO I DO
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   fishoutofwater 0 Votes
I agree and disagree all at the same time. It's true that it is difficult to get a "live" rep at the Call Center (tel# 866-762-2237) and here's why; there are 300 reps available for the entire state of Florida - there are 700 lines available - and DCF receives approx 10, 000 calls daily. The call center is now open 8am - 7pm Monday through Friday - one would have a better chance to reach a "rep" if one calls let's say on a Wed or Thurs between 5 until 7pm. Once you dial - choose your language option, then hit the "zero" continously - this will cut off the message and another one will start - keep doing this (zero) until the recorded message finally says "please hold for the next available rep" - this means you've entered a vacant hold line - if you receive a message stating that "all reps are currently unavailable, please try your call again later" - you will know that there are no lines available for you to be even placed on hold.. This tel # is also useful If you are having difficulty trying to reach staff for the dreaded phone interview. Let the rep know that you cannot reach anyone for your phone interview - ask them to place a message in your case file - ask them for a return call. I think the more awareness that is brought to our state legislature the faster DCF will have to "fix" their problems. "Community Partners" that have computers available for the public that do not have internet access elsewhere are NOT paid by DCF to provide these services to their applicants. In regards to faxing in your information - you need to make sure that your SSN, Case#, Name, tel# appears on each and every doc you fax to DCF - otherwise it goes into the black hole pile. Do not assume DCF knows who you are by name only. Disclaimer - I am not employed by the Department of Children and Families - I do however assist applicants with their ACCESS application - and all of the above I learned, by attending the school of hard knocks.
 11th of May, 2009 by   Dee-Dee +1 Votes
I agree with all. I applied for food stamps in April. I received a letter to provide all income, daycare expenses, loss of employment for the month of march. I faxed everything to them. I created an Access account, saw that my fax was received. I also received a separate letter to call for my phone interview. I called automated message came on stating to leave a message. Message box was full. I kept calling finally got through left a message with my name, social, date of birth, phone number. Automated message states I should receive a phone with in 48-72 hours. Three days later received a letter stating I failed to call or come in for an interview. I immediately called the number again, believe it or not someone answered. She proceeded to conduct the interview I pull all my documents that the letter requested. She all of sudden was RUDE because I was giving information for the month of March, income, daycare, light, rent, ect. She told me she wanted all current. I said fine i was just going on what the letter stated. She asked about all my expenses and who was working? I told her only my husband, she ask if my son was in daycare I said yes, she replied why is he in daycare if I am not working, I replied I just took him out because I was unable to afford it. If i was able to finish before I would of told her before made her comment. Then she asked how many cars I have I provided information. She replies how are you able to afford of of this. I told her we are trying to get by, pushing payment dates back. For a moment she made me feel little, I wanted to tell her I do not deserve to be spoken to like that. Like I was nothing. I am educated, married with three children. At one time I was working and able to afford my expenses. I pay taxes, I lost my job due to the economy, I just need temporary help till I fine work. I understand there is a high volume of calls but they should not be allowed to be rude and make you feel like you are worthless. I was angry but did not say nothing back, due to the fact I need temporary benefits and did not want to be denied. They should be trained better to speak respectful. They should try to put themselves in our shoes, not knowing if you going have enough money to food your children or may lose your house, cars, ect.
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   annoyed 0 Votes
I received a letter today (June 11, 2009) dated from their offices on June 8th, 2009 saying I had until on or before June 8, 2009 to call for a phone interview. The letter was post marked June8th, 2009. What in the world?
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   Tracy -1 Votes
Florida you gotta love it, Mickey Mouse state run by none other than a Bush. You folks voted him in, next time vote him out.

Ms. Dee-Dee if your spouse works and earns over the poverty level for your size family you are SOL. Dream on, get a job at Micky D's.

Move to Georgia, here no parent has to work as they are both considered caretakers.
You could have a field day with food stamps here.
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   annoyed 0 Votes
Tracy, I'm not sure what you are talking about. It's a bit hasty to assume we voted for him when he was in office, but I am pretty sure Bush hasn't been in office for a couple of years. Pointing fingers at the governor is one thing but I have a feeling this department isn't exactly on their daily rictor scale. George Sheldon, DCF's secretary should be held accountable. Forums like this one are a great way to find out that we aren't the only ones and to gauge the effectiveness of the system.

Things need to change,

Suncom: 292-2993

dcf's email: dcf-osc@dcf.state.fl.us

12th of Jun, 2009 by   Tracy 0 Votes
Dear Annoyed,

I was born in 1980 and raised until I was 12 in Florida and from what I know my parents told me that Jeb Bush was one of the worst governors there. My late father was born in Florida in 1947 and lived there until 1993. Of course, we moved in '93 and I'm not sure who was governor then, but I know my parents would never have voted for Jeb Bush. My mom's family is still there and they didn't vote for him, so someone had to in order for him to become governor. If it wasn't you, bravo. Why are you so defensive about what I said? It was a general statement, using the general YOU, not you personally.

The governor is elected by the people of the state, thus if he was elected, he had to carry most of the votes of the residents. If you didn't vote for him, that's fine. No one voted for George Bush twice either, so I hear. lol

However, as you might know the food stamp program is directed by the state. It's a state program, not federal. If anyone is responsible for passing your laws it's Charlie Crist now. But the real problems are always carry overs from the past governor, in your case Jeb Bush. Yes he left in 2007 to be prepared for presidency in 2112. Lord help us all if he gets in. We will definitely see the end of the world.

Back to your problem though, I do understand that people DO lose jobs, have no money and do deserve some government help.

Try writing your governor since he is ultimately the ones to pass the laws. He is the only one who can make changes to that program for you.

Next time vote democratic. :)
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   A touch of Rose 0 Votes
i agree with complaints i moved back to florida to care for my sick mother on an family emergency leave (mother had open heart surgery) while on emergency leave was given phone call by job stating my job was no longer available and position was posted. so i have been in florida unemployed and without any food or medical assistance my kids missed 2 weeks of school due to no insurance and it is now summer an i still have no medical assistance for me or my kids what am i suppose to do????? honestly if work was available i would be working rather than to go thru all of this heartache my son has even been looking for work since he almost 16 and honestly nothing is available
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   None None 0 Votes
Pregnant can't even get food!!!

I was contacted by an employer of the Department after applying for services online. She was completely rude while conducting the phone interview, never told me about my upcoming in person interview. Days later I received a letter in the mail stating I failed to show for the interview and needed to reschedule. Today I visited the office in person with hope to re-schedule the interview I was never aware of. The lady at the service desk was completely rude and advised me to call to speak to someone about rescheduling, after numerous attempts I was still unable to get through and speak to anyone. I am pregnant, out of food and money and need help ASAP, now out of options not sure what to do. PLEASE HELP
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   None None +1 Votes
I was contacted by an employer of the Department after applying for services online. She was completely rude while conducting the phone interview, never told me about my upcoming in person interview. Days later I received a letter in the mail saying I failed to show for the interview and needed to reschedule. Today I visited the office in person with hope to re-schedule the interview I was never aware of. The lady at the service desk was completely rude and advised me to call to speak to someone about rescheduling, after numerous attempts I was still unable to get through and speak to anyone. I am pregnant, out of food and money and need help ASAP, now out of options not sure what to do. PLEASE HELP
 11th of Jul, 2009 by   Michele Rimkus -1 Votes
I am 37 years old. Just lost my job with an airline I have been with for 11years. Never have asked for government assistance until now. I also received a call from DCF employee Tiki Jackson @877-351-8387. She was the most degrading, heartless, argumentative (human being?) I have ever spoke to; then she had the nerve to hang up on me. What am I going to do? Nobody will help nor do they care. I am a divorced single mom of my beautiful 6yr old son and I'm scared. So is that how it works, the phone interview is a knock down drag out fight? I didn't ask for this. I felt humbled and blessed when she first called...Now I feel like scum and can't stop crying. God bless that misserable waste of space on this Earth. She needs more help than I. So this is why I vote republican.
 12th of Jul, 2009 by   Dee-Dee 0 Votes
Ms. Tracy

Annoyed is correct to assume we voted for him. I am a democrat. My husband works extremely hard to make ends meet and did I. Working at Micky D's is not going to pay for $480 a week for daycare for my kids. The economy is screwed up. Don't assume that I am sitting at home doing nothing. I am trying to get a job its just their is nothing. I hope that your working and making ends meet. Do you have children who you got to worry about everyday.

To Annoyed thank you for understanding. I am not trying to live off the government money forever. I just need temporary help until I find work. I am as a wife and mother to be strong for them. I am trying to back into the work force. It's hard and even temp agencies have told me they don't have any work. Sorry we will contact you if anything come through. So again thank you for understanding.
 21st of Jul, 2009 by   M.Summers 0 Votes
I have been trying to get medicaid for my 14yr old niece who is pregnant and was kicked out of her home. I have talked to several people in the DCF office and I have personally went and filled out paperwork a the DCF office in Leesburg it seems that they always need something different and each person you speak to has a different answer and now they tell me that the case has been closed cause I evidently missed a phone interview that I knew nothing about and I have to start all over again and wait another 45 days...in the mean time I have a 14yr old girl who is 8mths pregnant and hasn't seen a doctor in almost 2mths and now we have to wait another 45days by that time she will be giving birth in the ER I guess cause I don't know what else to do at this point!! You hear stuff about pregnant teens getting the proper medical care but when they try to the state makes everything so darn difficult it isn't even remotely funny!
 30th of Jul, 2009 by   #1 mommy 0 Votes
I read through some of these complaints and I can agree on most of them...But here is MY big long complaint. I RE applied for food stamps in Feb. 09 and I wanted to hear something about my case...I received the info to gather all my information and send in my last 4 paystubs. (Mind you I haven't worked before when I was receiving benifits so it was an extra step to do) I had everything in and I got a letter stating I was denied...a single mom that works part time for 10 an hr and maybe get 15 hrs a week is denied? So I called my 'case worker' for information and for weeks couldn't get through to anyone...FINIALLY I got ahold of someone at the call center (you have to call before 10am to get someone) and they said my paystubs weren't so I had to resend them. After I resent them my case worker returned my call and said my paystubs were no good because they weren't consecutive and I had to have proof I didn't work those weeks. And she kept INSISTING I call the call center to speak to them. (She's my case woker she should know more than some call center)SO I gave it another shot and instead this time had my employer fax it for me. A month later I received information that my medicaid is no longer in effect for my son and I so I had to call and try to figure out what was going on...turns out my case was closed because my fax was never 'received' I tried taking further actions and called rep. Arie Porths office and a very nice gentleman helped me in getting ahold of someone. They told me that they would reopen my case and I didn't have to do anything but fax over the information again and I even gave miss kalya my employer number so she could call herself. After all that I waited months...here it is end of july and I just find out that my case is too old...its past the 60 days and I have to re apply again. I told the call center lady that this is bull sh*t and she hung up. I called Arie poths office again and spoke to the same man and said he'll get someone to call me and they did. The lady gave me the worst attidude and basically blamed it all on me and I should have reapplied. She said I had bennifits before and I should know the process already. Um yeah I had it before but I didn't have to do the extras because I didn't have a job then! And she goes on and says I'm interrupting her and I need to be quiet and listen and they don't have to reopen the case for me and I said all I needed was a letter saying what I needed to do and her excuse was they don't send out letters personally its automated and I just wanted to say so what do you do? They don't take calls, they don't return calls, they push you off to other people, they don't send letters, they don't even check their voicemails. They must have it so much harder than us poor folk who can't afford health care. They act like its coming out of their pockets but this is what they are paid to do! And they get great benefits because they work for the government. Oh and the 'nice' guy from Mr. Porths office came back to me and said he got an email saying that I was the one being rude and I was cursing and if I curse at them that they don't have to give me anything...hmmm all my fault that I even listened to the gonverment. Obama wants health care for all? How about fix the system we have now before it gets worse! And hire some people that actually have a heart.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   e.nigma +1 Votes
I just got a person, Anita aswered.To Be Announced
Circuit 17 Administrator
1400 West Commercial Boulevard
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
954-267-4040, She was very kind and said she is placing a msg on the my access board to find someone to call me for my phone interview. The lady, Gloria Basucci at 9543030249 either has a full mailbox or just doesn't like my voice. I've left so many pages and voicemails. (http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/admin/dcfcontacts.shtml)Try this link and select where you reside in FL and you can bypass the automated loop lines that disconnect you. Good luck. I'm so scared my mom and kids are all dependent on me and I have nothing left.
 5th of Aug, 2009 by   e.nigma +1 Votes
Quick update. I got antsy so I called the 850-487-1111(Tallahassee Office) and was referred to 954-202-3338(Broward) left another msg. By the grace of God, Gloria Blasucci called for our phone interview. I was so anxious about not getting answers, when she called, I was just nervous stupid happy. She pointed out that she has over 300 clients to help why she doesn't answer the phone. We had our 10 minute interview. She was very professional and thorough. After we were done she gave me follow up instructions and ended the phone call politely. I must say, I was so terrified of being mistreated as the people above, but this lady was exactly that, a lady. She definetly has a work load that I would gladly take over if the state would hire me. I just want you to know that not everyone is mean and rude. This lady deserves a raise and alot of praise.

Will the Lottery Fund Your Retirement?

Email: