logo

Just Brakes = Just Bad
unnecessary brake repairs
2. (0 mins ago)
Just Brakes
Finding unnecessary repairs to Jack up price
3. (2 mins ago)
Lies
4. (3 mins ago)
Roadside bandits
5. (3 mins ago)
Just Brakes Duluth, GA
Rip Off Alert! Do not TRUST!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Geremy

Scam and cheating

FixYa.com
fixya.com
I want to explain how this rip off internet company operates. They have online experts who claim to have education and experience that does not exist. I really believe it is fraud to present information that is untrue. Or to charge for services that sometimes the advice given by these so called experts could lead a customer to injury or death. When I brought this up to the attention of Alex their community manager it terrified him so much he felt obligated to just simply delete my account. At this time I am in the process of summarizing the information I have collected to turn over to the Business Ethics Commission, and the S.E.C. as well since fixya is a public traded company. At some point people like this need to be held responsible for ripping innocent people off and misleading them, to separate them from their monies. Let me ask is it not a crime to mislead services for monetary gain. (example : One expert claims to have a degree in electrical engineering but lacks the ability to answer simple engineering questions) These unqualified experts give advice on some items that have capacitors that carry in excess of up to 3000 volts without any warnings of this or the required knowledge to protect the end user from hurting or killing themselves. So in closing what I am really getting at is before you try this service just ponder the thought you are asking advice from someone who lives in a third world country, with very broken english skills, and feels that if he can plug in a cord to an outlet he has the abilities of an engineer without spending the 4 to 8 or up years to gain this knowledge.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Jan, 2009 by   Care4U -2 Votes
As a former expert on FixYa, I must disagree with you. If you have any complaints, I know for a fact that premium.support@fixya.com or support@fixya.com will be happy to hear you. Too bad you rather post some accusations than contact them directly.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   TheMobilian +1 Votes
I have provided hundreds of solutions saving people tons of money. I have an 88% rating. How can that be? I gave 100% good info. So far I have never gotten a dime for my time.I doubt I will get anything as bad as I need the money.
 11th of May, 2009 by   fixya0000 -1 Votes
I disagree as well being on the Top 10 espert list on fixya.com, I am offended by your faulse alligations that we do not try to help you, your claims are false and you cannot even spell correctly. Your kinds of Bull Crap is exactly what I have to put up with as a expert on Fixya.com. You been ripped of my foot I bet you ripped Fixya.com off. Be careful what you say about a company it just might land in you back yard my friend.

Rulds2008 Fixya.com Expert
 11th of May, 2009 by   Engineerchartered +1 Votes
Undoubtedly this goes both ways like in the real world.
Your "Allegations" apply to anything in the real world.

I have never come across a 100% situation you desire.
Not even in the most serious business.
 11th of May, 2009 by   Engineerchartered -1 Votes
How many with a false CV.
How many with a true CV but no experience.
How many false certificates.
How legitimate recommended working practices.

There is more then false Rolexes and La Costa shirts in the world.

Users on Fixya have their own responsebility to choose.
One problem, a 1000 opinions.

Should everybody have to do what you want, the bill per consult should be extremely higher including and covering the rest you want.

I think you could afford a private jet for this.
You can never consult any MD.
Distrust everything.

So then we get the real fee including all codes, insurances, small print, warnings and the final answer will always be take your broken equipment back to the original manufacturer or throw it away according to local law.
 16th of Jun, 2009 by   JimmyLee1964 -2 Votes
I believe a well organized (organised) critique should at least implement correct grammar and spelling. How is one supposed to take seriously a gripe with errors in the days of "spell check" and "auto correct". To me, those opinions have the weight of a feather.
 7th of Sep, 2009 by   Ray Christie +1 Votes
I am sorry I don't agree with these so called experts who are defending Fixya. In the choices list I clicked on computer hardware and the advice I was sent referred to a printer. Now in my estimation anyone who is an expert would know that an ACER aspire 5735 is a laptop/notebook computer which is what I described.

And please don't parade your credentials to justify what I think is a rip off. I had to take the computer to an outside expert to correct the problem but still have to pay for this one time failure on the part of Fixya to provide the service I paid for

Chartered engineer of 40 years standing
 8th of Sep, 2009 by   JimmyLee1964 0 Votes
Now who is parading their credentials? 40 years! Do you work with tubes or just have them for your oxygen tank..yuk yuk j.k.
 16th of Dec, 2009 by   Kyle_Reese 0 Votes
Try deciphering some of the questions asked at that site: "uh oh, I accidentally my whole network. Is this bad?"

And who are the real criminals here? The people who try to save someone money by answering a question? Or the computer "mechanic" who tells a customer that they need a new $300 motherboard because their onboard NIC is fried?

If fix-ya is to blame for someone knowingly heeding the advice of a good samaritan but the problem not being fixed, then we should be able to sue gas station clerks for giving bad directions. Hell, lets go all the way and begin imprisoning children for answering questions wrong on their homework!
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   true_professionall 0 Votes
Fixya has its merits, pros and contras. Some other platforms on the web as well like that yahoo thing. For one thing Fixya experts are very underpaid for the advice they give.

A lot of very good very legitimate answers not even considered. So many experts just stop laying good samaritan. Because a living or fee for anything reasonable can't be made there.

Any comments from customers. Make sure the experts stay online, otherwise you are delivered to those who will overcharge a lot with no second, third etc opinion.
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   IanV +1 Votes
Fixya is more of a scam on the advice givers then on the recievers. This is how it works, you have to answer 50 questions and get a rating of 80% and 5 votes before you can start getting paid for your advice, what they dont tell you is this:
People searching for answers to their problem using a search engine often happen upon fixya.com which promises them the answer to their problems and gives them a box in which to type their problem.
Only after they type their problem and hit post, does it inform them they have to pay for the answer..
The big scam on the wannabe fixya experts is this:
All these questions, by people who are not informed they will have to pay for the answer until after they post the question, are automatically posted on the unanswered questions list for the fixya experts to answer, what this scam amounts to is, the fixya experts who are answering questions to try and make some extra money are answering question after question from people who did not know they would have to pay for the question before they posted it, and have no intention of paying for it.
You can test this for yourself, as I did. Join fixya.com as a propective expert, then sign out.
Now go to fixya.com and type a random question in the box provided, you will see that nowhere on that page does it inform you that you will have to pay for the answer.
In the "what product is this about" box type Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition. use a phoney email address in the box below and post a question, like any other random person looking for free information on the internetwould.
Only after you hit the submit does it tell you about pricing for the answers, so do as most people probably do and say to yourself screw that I, m not paying for something I could look up myself on google and close out the page.
Now go back into fixya.com and log in to your fixya expert account look for some questions to anser in computer operating systems and you will see the question you just posted yourself right there near the top of the list of new questions about windows vista. Obviously this is testimony to the fact that there could easily be thousands of questions on fixya.com posted by people who did not know they would have to pay for the answer when they posted the question and have no intention of paying for it.
The question poster can not see your answer until they pay for it so obviously they can not rate your answer unless they pay for it.
This begs the question, how many questions would a potential fixya expert have to answer before they get one by someone who was willing to pay for the answer ?
I have answered 5 questions with detailed answers on subjects I am 100% sure my information was correct, so far none of them have been aknowledged by the question posters so my rating is still at 0%.
This means I could continue answering question after question posted by people who did not know they had to pay for the answer when they posted the questions and have no intention of doing so.
In short. the whole deal is one big scam on everyone.
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   tiredofthegames -1 Votes
Say I answer a person's question. And they are satisfied with the answer. All they have to do is decide to ask another question while we are chatting that I can't answer and I don't get credit for the initial answer. The "asker" can just keep on tagging another question on the end so they can claim to be dissatisfied. It can be a real pain with no end in sight. No matter how half baked and rediculous the questions are it doesn't matter.
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   be_my_guest_pakshet 0 Votes
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   EatMyStoolFixYa! +2 Votes
'dey gonna "fixya", awright!

Anyone who ever got taken by these scammers doesn't know a rat when they smell one. It has the aggressively friendly, and gratingly ridiculous name, which in universal marketing language says "come here, suckers!". From the front page, it works more like an order form than a forum.

However, I do agree that it is extremely annoying to get these spam-teasers following you around when you are already frustrated from trying to find the answer which somebody may have posted for the benefit of the world community, free of charge. Therefore, this occlusive attack against the FREE exchange of information among forum communities should be treated as the serious threat which it is. Such lowlife-cockroaches as those who run FixYa must not be encouraged to wear people down as they seek solutions to their everyday problems - I don't mind paying for products (and that includes printed materials, and anything on hard media), services, nor performances, but you should never, ever pay for information! They need to be put down, and by any means necessary!
 21st of Mar, 2010 by   Ex-Fixya Expert (93% 18 Helped) +1 Votes
I have to say that I agree completely that the Fixya Expert paying system needs some attention. To pay the expert that answers the question first, regardless of how well they answer the question is ludicrous. It should be a system that a premium question is open for a period of days, and all the experts can then put their own answer if they disgree with the original answer. After this period, the person that is paying for the answer should decide which answer best fixed their problem, and the person that answered that question should be the only person who is paid by Fixya.

I happen to be one that just enjoys helping people find answers to their questions. I have been in my particular field for 10 years now, and I'm pretty knowledgable about it. I have spent the last 7 days on Fixya almost non-stop answering questions (started my account on 3/15 and I now have over 100 solutions) about all sorts of different things. Out of the 100 questions that I've answered, only 18 solutions have been voted as helpful. That's only 18 people who originally asked the question tell me that my answer was helpful. That's pretty discouraging to me, someone that's not in it for the money, but rather for the "high" of helping someone with a problem. I didn't just answer these questions in 3 sentences like half of Fixya's "experts" do, but instead I spent countless hours actually taking pictures of the repair, step by step, and even videos of the repair and posting them in my answers. Most answers of mine of 4-5 paragraphs, not sentences.

I wasn't aware of what the previous poster said about posting a question on Fixya, then only after submitting Fixya asks for money, then the prospective client leaves, but their question still pops up. I can confirm that this is the case. So for all these questions that I've spent countless hours answering, video taping, and taking pictures, there was never anyone out there who even wanted my answer! Fixya just posts my answers so that when someone Googles that question, they will have that answer, and display on top Google results.

I feel 100% completely ripped off, and I would go in and delete every one of my answers now that I know what I know. Fixya is a rip off, and I plan on exposing them as much as I can now.

- Ex-Fixya Expert (93% rating, 18 Helped)
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   FixYa Support -1 Votes
We are always willing to assist you. Please contact premium.support@fixya.com so that we can look into the matter and resolve it.
Please send as much information as you can
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   Nowayjose1 +1 Votes
Fixya is a SCAM. They don't tell you there is a cost until you agree to their terms of service and provide your email address. It's a ripoff! The Fixya expert nailed it. Nobody looks at the answers because only a brainless few would pay for what may or may NOT be worth anything.
 26th of May, 2010 by   techtechtech 0 Votes
Why do you need to pay for a forum when you get the same answer if better from 1 of 1000 forums? Fixya.com sounds awfully like ExpertsExchange to me.

And the other thing that I've found is that, you don't find all the answers on one forum, so why sign up and pay for an account of ONE forum, when this is the case.

I fail to believe that these professionals know everything there is possibly to know about everything PC, laptop and printer related.

The reason why other unpaid/unprofessional forums work is because of people actually experiencing the issue.

The professional answers usually contain links to microsoft knowledge base or manufacturer's websites. Usually in the form of: "Can you please provide more information? Make, model, what you eat for lunch?"

Or the usually 10 page copy and paste article instead of real people who've experienced the issue and had to work it out for themselves.

I agree with the article.
 26th of May, 2010 by   techtechtech -1 Votes
Is this what your company, Fixya represents:

"I totally disagree with the shithead like you, big since you were born in a rich country? what are you pureblood? for your information, there are tons of highly educated people in third world countries. Not to mention, they are better. Are you Voldermort? The one who likes to kill all muggleborns and mudbloods because they are purebloods? you are worst than a communist, you are one hell of a racist idiot! go to hell you hellish cr eature!!! you are not supposed to be born here on earth you should be next to hells king. die you mothafucka!"

Experts... pfft

Sounds like someone can't take criticism. But hey check out all the posts on the website about scam and being ripped off. I'm not stupid enough to pay money.
 25th of Jun, 2010 by   ex expert +2 Votes
your were one of lucky ones Geremy, most askers are normally so baffled with so much bullshit from these so called experts, ( i should know, i am one) that they actually pay them for the advice and leave feedback, even before they have tried there solution...most often when they cant baffle the asker, they will tell them they need to take it to an expert for repair...lol

i would urge anyone thinking of using fixya.com try your solutions before you let feedback because there trying to make it, if you leave positive feedback, youll never get a refund..and since the chances of you getting a REAL expert, is slim, very slim.

i suppose if your reading this, my advice here probably wont help you

one expert continuously give false, misleading, guessed at, goggled and dangerous answers that could actually kill the person if they dont know what there doing ...when he was asked what will they do once someone gets hurt or kill...he matter of factual stated, THATS WHAT THE DISCLAIMER IS FOR!

remember where i said if your reading this, my advice is to late ...well there is a possible side...if your able to read this, your not dead YET!

am i disgruntled? No. im ashamed to be associated with a site that has no regard for peoples safety or the money they allow the asker to waste on solutions that are wrong, BS, from a BSE, misleading and dangerous answers.

you have been warned

there are a lot of good (and real)experts on that site, but your chances of getting one in a chat are slim to none..

take that guy that signed Rulds2008 Fixya.com Expert up there that posted (and the one on top of rulds2008 is also him)..that guy is an idiot...hes the one that said, thats what the disclaimers for should some one get hurt or killed...you guys want to take advice from people like that, go right ahead, but i feel a hell of a lot better getting that off my chest.

How Countrywide Profited on Foreclosures