logo

CVS
Manager Mistreating a kid
3. (27 mins ago)
Dermajuv.com
I ended up returning the products as I didn't see any difference in my skin texture
4. (28 mins ago)
Megan Bell's a Fake and liar. CHEAT, SCAM

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Family Readers Inc, Mesa, Arizona Complaints & Reviews - Unauthorized Magazine Contract Subscription

Family Readers Inc Contacts & Informations

Family Readers Inc

Posted: 2011-04-20 by    Aseneth

Unauthorized Magazine Contract Subscription

Family Readers Inc
Mesa, Arizona
Received a phone call from a Manager, called Don, saying she would lower the price of my subscription to 49.95 from 59.95 for the 33 remaining months of my alleged subscription. When questioned the source of this contract, she mentioned it was sold to them by one of their many marketing companies they do business with. She would not provide any address, phone number, website or any information to verify this companys alleged existence. This is fraudalent and not ethical selling of alleged subscription.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of May, 2011 by   roserosita53 +1 Votes
this just happen to me. and they could not tell me the magazines that i had purchased. they were so rued. i contacted my bank and credit card and their will be a big investigation cause i did not purchased any sort of books or magazines for that part for that amount of money. so who ever you are you will be in big trouble. when all is done. so if i were you i would stop your scan now.you are in big trouble. so you guys are going down.
 16th of Jun, 2011 by   Charlotte56 +1 Votes
I am a member of a magazine co., but, these people used that info to allegedly attempt to decrease my payments. I ended up with two charges. One from my magazine co. and another from these people for a whopping $79, 95!! I am very upset and have to cancel my credit card to receive my money back.
 26th of Jul, 2011 by   MarcoST +1 Votes
If any one reading this who has been scammed PLEASE CALL( 877)438-4338 PLEASEEEEE CALLL IT'S IMPORTANT THESE SCAMS MUST BE STOPED YOU'LL BE ON THE PHONE WOTH THE FEDS TELL THEM EVERYTHING THE MORE PEOPLE CALL THE MORE RIGEROUS THE INVESTIGATION MONEY IS TIGHT ENOUGH WE DON'T NEED A SCAM ARTIST TRYING TO TAKE IT TOO PLEASE CALL LETS MAKE AN EXAMPLE OUT OF THEM
 10th of Oct, 2011 by   Lola B. +1 Votes
This has happen to me as well on 09/07/2011 for the amount of $99.90, they were very rued and could not provide me with any contact information. They were not able to tell me the magazines I ordered and now this one time payment which was suppose to be a discount offer has become another to my acccount just on 0/07/2011 for $49.95. These scams and unauthorize charges must stop, in the name of Jesus! I have contacted my bank and will go further. Sincerely Lola
 10th of Oct, 2011 by   Lola B. +1 Votes
this is my first time to make a complaint, so please forgive my mistake in the comment. the date of my second charge was 10/07/2011. todays date is 10/10/2011. Sincerely Lola B.
 17th of Apr, 2012 by   Anonymous in CA +2 Votes
This happened to be and I was able to get them to stop - here's how. Call your bank and report them as fraud. When your bank researches the company they will conclude they are fraud and will reverse all charges to your account. They will also issue you a new credit card or debit card so Family Readers can't continue to charge you. The bank will also contact Family Readers and make them pay you back in full. Family Readers will continue to call you and harass you and claim you still owe them money even though they paid you back in full. This is a complete lie. You don't owe them money. They will claim they have an audio recording of you agreeing to a service with them. This is also a lie. I listened to the recording, it is a recording of you and them AFTER they already started charging you. You never gave them your information and you never authorized them to start charging you. They cut the audio recording to make it seem like you're agreeing but you're not. It is a conversation from a date after they already starting charging you. They got your credit card information illegally and that is why this is a complete scam. If you do what I outlined above, they will not be able to charge you and you can make it stop. Good luck.
 19th of Aug, 2012 by   mae23 +1 Votes
I've been battling with this company for too long!. Now they finally send me to collection when It wasn't even right. I never was aware of this company until they send me a notice that they're turning me into collection. I called and told them that I was not aware of it. And If it's possible to make a cancellation. They told me in order to make a cancellation I have to pay the form that they were suppose to send me but they never did. I paid for nothing. Months later they send me another mail stating a final notice to collection agency. I called again and explain my point. The representative of the company was being rued so I ask if I can talk to anyone else but she disrespect me saying "I'm the only one you can speak to". Which made me think that's not right. I think every department has someone else to speak with you. I did my research and found out that there's a lot of complains about this company. But now my problem is they finally send me to collection. I need help. I think It's not right that I should pay 1000 plus just for a magazine that I haven't receive.
 20th of Aug, 2012 by   Jefiner +1 Votes
To all that have been victims of this scam. I have been dealing with this for almost a year. I was also just sent to a legitimate collection agency. Back in January I filed a police report against Family Readers because of the harassment I kept getting from a lady named "Heather." The detective I spoke to had me cancel my card, change my phone # and told me to keep everything I received from them. I did. When I received the collection notice earlier this week, I called the detective who helped me in January. He told me to pick up a copy of the police report, and to send it with a certified letter to the collection agency stating that I dispute the validity of this debt. Interestingly enough when I called the collection agency this morning they told me that the debt has been returned to Family Readers Inc. and they are no longer collecting on it. When I asked why, they said the account has been locked and the only person that can read the notes is out of town until next Wednesday. They advised me to still send them a certified copy of a letter disputing the debt and to call back next Wednesday to find out why they are all of a sudden no longer collecting on this debt. I have a feeling that it is because they have learned it is a scam. I also have an attorney standing by, if I receive anything else from them I will be utilizing her services. My attorney did advise me to call the Federal Trade Commission at 877-438-4338 and my States Division of consumer Protection. It is a hassle, but it is the only way they can be stopped, so please do so as well if you are a victim of this scam.
 30th of Oct, 2012 by   nate718 0 Votes
I am in this exact situation I got a phone call from some company saying that they would lower the price of my subscription to 49.95 from 59.95 for a magazine they said I signed up for I told the man I didn't have a subscription that I wanted to talk to a supervisor he said that was ok he just needed to verify my info and sign up for the offer before he transferd me and said once I got to the supervisor then she could cancel it no problem I said that was ok gave him my info and then he transferd me when I got to this supervisor she told me she had no clue what company the magazine was through and didn't have a phone number for them Now im getting calls from a lady named Heather from Family readers inc saying I owe on a past due account I explained to her I didnt sign up for a account told her about the previous phone call all she had to say to me is im down a river without a paddle that im stuck in a contract i never agreed to and I will be sent to collections and when asked for her supervisor she said she was the only one in the whole customer service department for her company and she is the only one that takes calls and she cant cancel my account that there's nothing she can do I NEED HELP! I don't know what to do im only 22 years old and living on my own there's no way I can afford any payments of this kind barely keep my power on let alone make payments to some illegitimate company please message me or email me at nathanieliscool7@hotmail.com I need help I dont know what to do
 19th of Nov, 2012 by   D.Howard 0 Votes
Too many of these situations reported here are exactly like my experience. I immediately cancelled my credit card ( the same day as the initial call). The bank already had them on a fraud list so I wasn't the first. Four months later I got the first threat for collection call. Then Heather called my cell phone and my wife's cell phone. I'm doing well at ignoring the calls. I did call back once to ask for written information concerning what services they were providing me and was met with a completely rude and uncooperative response. Obviously they want the money above all else. I called the FTC as recommended by another poster. Does anyone have the number for the Florida Consumer Office ? I ran into a problem with a travel company 15 years ago and they were very helpful in resolving the issue.
 28th of Nov, 2012 by   th!sman 0 Votes
Debt collectors push you around if they sniff you don't know their game or more aptly your legal rights. So before you engage them to make any arrangement Google these and become an informed consumer, it will save you potential trouble in the future.
1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick
6-Settlement Offer Letter - very important don't pay anything without it.
-If your state's SOL is expired the debt is noncollectable, period! That's why you
-Never ever accept/agree/acknowledge you owe/own a debt. Per Federal law first demand a VOD. Use CMRRR (you can call but not recommended. Be sure to record the call)
-VOD must be the original document with your signature on it, not a letterhead stating some amounts owed.
-NEVER EVER confirm your your personal info. Tell them to mail whatever to the address on file.
-if you legitimately owe a debt don't pay anything without a settlement offer letter.
-mail checks with tracking No. or signature required, no electronic access to your bank ac. you will be cleaned out. Keep records for life.

TOO MANY CALLS, CALLS TO FRIENDS, WORK ETC
-Send a C&D by CMRRR stating when, frequency and how they will contact you.
-If you talk to a CA ALWAYS write down immediately, who called, where from, said what, why, when, what, i.e. everything. This is acceptable evidence in court.
-If CA violate your rights each infraction is worth $1000 to you. Thus, use CMRRR and/or record all calls ->evidence is $$$ for you. No lawyer?, sue pro se, see #5 above
 21st of Dec, 2012 by   D.Howard 0 Votes
They do business from Florida so call the Florida Department of Consumer Affairs as well as all the other calls you have been asked to make.. By the way, Heather has been threatening the collection route but nothing has happened yet. I'm beginning to think that these are empty threats.
 29th of Dec, 2012 by   th!sman 0 Votes
Next time they call tell them you are recording the call for legal and documentation purposes and watch what happens.

But you should deal with this once and for all and nip it in the bud before they hit your CR. Write them CMRRR and request for a VOD - the original doc. with your signature, not a letterhead with an amount. They should respond in about 30 days per federal law. If they don't provide a valid VOD, CMRRR a C&D. State that they should not contact you in any shape or form regarding this phantom fake debt. That if they do you shall consider this harassment and you shall seek full legal redress against them.

They hate it when you wise up.
 20th of Feb, 2013 by   D.Howard 0 Votes
Just talked to a representative named Liz. She apologized for all that they had put me through this year and said she would send me a letter cancelling my account and absolving me of any charges. She was actually pleasant to talk to as opposed to Heather who came across as having a chip on her shoulder the size of New York. MAybe the company had enough of the adverse publicity caused by Heather's attitude. The letter will be mailed in the morning. I am eagerly awaiting receipt of the letter. I might scan it and post it.
 9th of May, 2013 by   dewmaniac2 0 Votes
I too am being harassed by these people. They have gone from Treasure Coast Readers to Family Readers Inc. Over the course of two years they have called me about a $1498.50 "debt" that they say I "verbally" agreed to which I never have. They then sent me to a CLX SYSTEMS collections agency in which I sent a dispute letter. Now a law firm in MN called COMO LAW FIRM, is trying to collect on the debt. I sent them a dispute letter too and then turned all 3 in to the BBB and to MN and FL department of consumer affairs and also to the FTC. I have sent a letter to all 3 stating my intentions of filing a lawsuit if harassment continues. I don't know what else to do.
 10th of May, 2013 by   th!sman 0 Votes