logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
imt credit rpts ma
taking money out of my account
2. (46 mins ago)
nacons builders
nacons builders complaints
3. (46 mins ago)
Beachwood Success Method
Fraud - deducted money without permission
4. (46 mins ago)

Posted: 2012-04-26 by    Helen Sposato

fraudulent CPNE

Excelsior College
Albany, New York
I just returned from Atlanta Ga after failing the CPNE. Excelsior has no way to evaluate nursing skills with their CPNE so they major on the minors. The whole set up is fraudulent. Nursing students pay a $1900 fee to have their nursing skills evaluated through the CPNE. This in no way evaluates your nursing skills. This means we are paying for a service that is not provided. Isn't that deemed fraud? Also they prey on a segment of the population mostly LPNs, and EMTs that do not have the time to attend a traditional university. I think we need a class action suit to at least stop them from ripping off more students. Helen Sposato coachbbq@pgtc.com
Comments United States Colleges and Universities
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Apr, 2012 by   Dream-fighter +1 Votes
I also failed in Atlanta, Ga! I didn't even have the opportunity to show my nursing skills. I would love to be involved in a class action suit.
 8th of May, 2012 by   kellylg +1 Votes
I am in as I also believe it's a scam
 22nd of Jun, 2012 by   DawnAnnette +1 Votes
I completely agree and I am looking into a lawsuit at this time. I don't even know where to begin. I failed at Albany for dumb reasons nothing that reflects nursing skills or knowledge. I graduated with the second highest grade from LPN school. After failing CPNE, I decided not to give Excelsior another penny. The thing about the CPNE is that it is ridiculously easy for an intelligent seasoned LPN, but so easy to fail because they judge on minor things that aren't related to nursing knowledge or skills. You basically just have to take CPNE workshop and study study guide and do exactly what they tell you to do. There was a man that passed CPNE that was an army medic twenty years prior and admitted to us that he hadn't had any clinical experience since. There was another young man that worked in an family MD's office as a medical assistant. He answered phones, filed and took vitals...he passed CPNE. I can't believe that some states are allowing these people to become nurses with no clinical experience. California is the only state that sees Excelsior nursing for what it is. Anyway, my first lab was the IV drip. I completed everything and the CE told me she had to get the CA. The CE told CA that I did everything right but my drip calculation was wrong. It just so happens that I have BS degree and had studied math for a while so I was 100% positive that my drip factor was correct. I showed my calculations to CA and she said it appeared correct but they had a different answer. I continued to defend my answer. Finally after about 5 minutes, they realized they were looking at the answer to the wrong question and I passed that lab. I wrote a letter to the dean informing her of what occurred, because I'm sure people have failed CPNE because the CE & CA said drip was wrong. I think a class action lawsuit would be just because there are A LOT of stories out there of shady actions on the part of the CEs and CAs. My friend had a CE that was on her cell phone most of the time during the PCS and looked at her VS and told her that there was no need for her to do a second set! She passed. If I had a CE that did that for me, I would have passed as well. My friend is willing to testify. I have more stories too. Everyone should start talking with lawyers and we should stay in touch. I an also going to protest accreditation of Excelsior nursing because not everyone passing this program has proper clinical experience and it endangers peoples lives.
 23rd of Jun, 2012 by   kellylg +1 Votes
I have been a nurse for 20 yrs. and I am ready for this to happen. I graduated at the top of my class and have worked sub-acute setting for the past 15 yrs. When I was writing the careplan for my peds case the CE was sitting next to me talking on the phone to her husband and then called for her schedule at work. Rediculous, I was trying to get her attention to ask her a question and she actually put her finger up and said 1 minute to me.
 23rd of Jun, 2012 by   DawnAnnette +2 Votes
I will keep everyone updated as we move forward. I want my money back and I don't want RNs out in the field that don't have clinical experience. All traditional nursing schools require a certain number of clinical hours to graduate. I don't understand how some states are allowing people to obtain their RN without documented clinical hours. When I first signed up for Excelsior I thought it was a program just for working LPNs and EMTs and that eventually we would have to show documentation of our clinical hours through our employers. I took the workshop and met people that were not working LPNs or EMTs. Present at the workshop were a CNA, LPN who took ten years off from nursing to pursue other interests, the medical assistant who held up a med cup and asked me what it was and what the markings were ( he passed CPNE...OMG) and a former animal trainer that had failed out of real nursing school due to not passing the math test with 100% accuracy. That's the other thing...why isn't there the math test that must be passed with 100% accuracy as there is at all other nursing schools. As you read in my previous post, the CAs and CEs aren't even competent in basic math. There was a person present in the room during the whole IV drip situation and is willing to testify.
I failed the IV push the first time because although I loosened the syringe it got stuck causing it to jerk forward too fast and I had to stop a few seconds before administering the rest of the med. You're not allowed to stop at all...no big deal...I had a second try. I had passed all my other labs and two PCS by my second try at IV push. I wasn't sure but I may have contaminated the tip of my first flush, so just to be safe, I decided to throw it out and draw up a new one. At my facility, it is a strict policy to only dispose of sharps in sharps containers due to cost and being "green". I automatically put in the regular trash and instantly realized my mistake and was going to remove it after I completed the other elements and put it in sharps as excelsior wants it. The CE stopped me immediately. I argued that there is nothing in the study guide that states we are not allowed to remove a non-contamidated barrel from the garbage. The CA stated that we don't remove things from the garbage...the CE had already taken it out of the garbage and placed it on the table so obviously they do remove things from the garbage. The CA told me to appeal. I did appeal on the grounds of not being allowed to correct my mistake and that there is nothing stating that I couldn't have removed it from the garbage to put in sharps. I received a generic letter from the dean of nursing stating that I failed CPNE and so forth. She did not address the issue of my appeal so now it's on to court and I am going to make a big deal about it. In my former career, I was an editor and reporter in NYC and I still have many friends and contacts in the business. Nurses do, at times, have to remove items from the garbage especially if working with children, the elderly, the developmental disabled, and the mentally handicapped.
 28th of Jul, 2012 by   acute care LPN +1 Votes
I have been a LPN for 31 years. 29 of that acute primary care. I was nurse of the year twice in those years. Very respected in my nursing skills, which were quoted way above average. I went to the cpne at Meriter. This was the worst nightmare of my entire Life. The instructors time you, but although they say thier instructors they look to disagree on care plans that are accurate, spend 30 minutes of your Timed time checking with the CA to see if your care plan passed, then talk on thier cell phones constant, and fail you for bad clinical decisions they made if you disagree, or they all cant agree if something is pass or fail. This is a money pit, you are set up to fail and they are good at it. They need that money you paid as many times as they can get it! This is a scam and is a shame to the name of nursing! Please discourage anyone from this program. I do believe a class lawsuit should happen. I will be happy to be included. Its hard to believe it continues.
 25th of Oct, 2012 by   Koby Bennett +2 Votes
I would like to be included in the suit also. EXCELSIOR COLLEGE IS A BUNCH OF CROOKS AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MY OPTIONS ARE.
 30th of Oct, 2012 by   choban +1 Votes
Please PLEASE PLEASE all of you contact David at Travelm2009@gmail he is moving things far with regard to this. Thank You Celeste.
 13th of Nov, 2012 by   KR6179 0 Votes
I totally agree with the above comments and am seriously considering contacting a lawyer. Not only is the entire process unfair, I experienced bias also. I now completely understand why they advise you not to talk to any of your testing peers throughout the testing experience. I was placed in a break room with another student during a CPS which I am sure was an error on the part of both CEs. I submitted my planning care plan to my CE and she left the room to review it after asking for my nursing dx handbook and was instructed to wait for her return. The other student handed her care plan in shortly after I did, her CE barely glanced at her care plan did not touch a nursing diagnosis handbook and in less than 2 minutes handed it back to her and told her she had net the criteria and passed the planning portion of the CPNE. On the other hand, my CE returned about 20 minutes later and informed me I was unsuccessful . I was then escorted downstairs and told I could get some lunch but was oriented to hospital so had no idea where cafeteria was. I asked what time my next CPS would begin and was told "It depends". I asked depends on what and was informed when my next CE was available, which depended on her current student performance. Do you think I would risk leaving the area for even a few mins and forfeit my next CPS, definitely not. So I sat there and waited without so much as a drink of water, anything to eat, or a bathroom break all day long. I could go on and on with how horribly I was treated but I think my point is made. I have over thirty years of nursing experience and have had an excellent grade point average throughout this whole process. Not only did I successfully pass all the nursing requirements, I also had to take numerous online courses to fulfill my general education requirements. I spent countless hours studying for this exam, ordered extra study materials, and attended one of the workshops and was still unsucessful not once but twice. I too, am SERIOUSLY considering legal action.
 23rd of Feb, 2013 by   KBRACKETT 0 Votes
I failed 3 CPNE's 6000$ worth. I would gladly sue them. Not just because of the money. The emotional anguish they projected on me and the has been immense. I have problems sleeping and am now struggle with self-esteem at work and home. KJB
 23rd of Feb, 2013 by   KBRACKETT 0 Votes
I wonder how many of us used The College Net Work as 3rd party and were failed as apposed to going through Excelsior exclusively. That is a question worth exploring. How fair it it to have an advocate that works for Excelsior during the PCS? How biased? A paid employee, co-worker to the CPNE examiners, coffee and lunch break buddies? I had no representation there, no advocate and was hung out to dry. In one of my patient care situation an examiner said to the primary nurse I was to get report from "I guess we will have to suffer together on this Sunday." I was one of two students left that weekend. By failing everyone they get to go home early. What do they care? Rudeness and unprofessionalism is OK for them. I'm 52 years old, they treat you like you did something wrong every time you talk or move. Not a smile or reassurance. Where did they get those examiners? They are a grim bunch of women.
 3rd of Mar, 2013 by   LPN14 +1 Votes
I am currently appealing my CPNE that I took in Atlanta. Same scenario as all the others - scary how similar the stories are. I was one of 3 left on Sunday, of whch only 1 person passed. Not at all the 63% first-time pass rate they tout on their website! I know that at least 6 of the 8 of us at the CPNE had taken the workshop and it didn't seem to make a difference. More money in Excelsior's deep pockets! I would definitely be interested in being part of a class-action lawsuit. Who do I need to talk to?
 17th of Sep, 2013 by   anothercpnevictim +1 Votes
during a repeat pcs. the one that would have determined if I would make it or not. I was set up on the time that I needed to document. the patient requested 30 minutes to spend with his visitors although the CE said that she would give me the extra time that was taken from me she only gave me 10 minutes and then an additional 10 minutes was taken again from my time after I restarted implementation the patient had another visitor a lab tech who had to withdraw blood. then the lunch tray came. I did not have the time to document the wound portion granting me a fail I did all of the critical elements except document the wound because she was hovering over me taking deep breaths telling me the time was up. of the entire 2.5 hours I needed to spend with the pcs I only had a total of interrupted 30 minutes of which I did everything I was supposed to. my previous pcs was failed because I used the wrong "wording" on the outcome regarding an impaired comfort r/t skin rash on the second diagnosis. CE stated that I needed to add the word "comfort" to my patient outcome statement in order to make it work. although everything that I wrote was perfect. she stated you can try again with the next pcs. I think it was BS though. I swear that I saw a smirk on her face when I walked away crying. when I got to the conference room speaking to the CA complaining the CE turned her back on me and did a little dance as she sat down to eat again with a smirk. did she fail and rush me because she wanted to eat? I hope she became sick from her food that day...total set up...
 8th of Nov, 2013 by   cpneclassaction 0 Votes
Update Facebook page called "CPNE Class Action" just started.
 23rd of Jan, 2014 by   Marla13 0 Votes
Anyone on here who is still interested in a lawsuit against Excelsior, please email me at cc1313.mh@gmail.com. Thank you.

Voting Against the Recently-Passed U.S. Health Care Reform