logo

REGIONAL TRANSPORT OFFICE,
NOT YET RECEIVED MY BIKES RC BOOK
4. (48 mins ago)
Chase Bank
Closed my account without notice
5. (1 hr 52 mins ago)

EF Tours

Posted:    mikenordy26

travel

EF tours
I had the best time of my life in Costa Rica. Our guide was great. Our planning was great! Our food was amazing! All except one of our hotels ( san jose)were great! I highly reccomend their Costa Rica programs and want to go back so bad! I made tons of new friends and saw so much! My favorite activitys were ziplining, night tour, the hot springs, and visiting the la fortuna waterfall... and the butterfly gardens!

advice: bring dramamine for the bus rides... they are between 2 and 5 hours long. Its a great time to sleep! Dont worry much though, they do make frequent stops at little villages to buy snacks and souviners.

check your bed for bugs

bring tons of batteries... I took 1, 200 pictures in just 8 days
Comments United States Travel Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Jul, 2010 by   jjtansley 0 Votes
not a complaint
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   cseymore -1 Votes
Nice to see people go out of their way to make positive comments, instead of some of the ridiculous complaints posted on this site. Makes sense that parents trying to decide whether or not to send their kids on an EF Tour would be interested in both positive and negative reviews of the company.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
I see a lot of comments about EF tours on this site. I think the good and bad should be looked at. I don't think any of them are ridiculous as people have taken time to review this company. Do you have anything else you can share with me, good or bad about EF tours? There is alot of bad on this company on this Complaintsboard which makes me wonder about the good. Please advise and thanks for your time. What is important is that EF tours takes high school children on tours and should be a role model in what the right thing to do. In my case, they listed a $150 discount on their website if you signed up before Feb 29, 2011 which I did and now they tell me it is for certain tours. They should give me my $150 and then this is over! Did that happen to anyone else? It is not the money that concerns me but setting up a good example and standing by what you have up on your website.
Please advise.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
All I can say is I have taken more than 200 students on 11 tours, and the feedback from parents and students has been 100% positive. Many, many parents have spent thousands of dollars to send kids on multiple tours with me, and several parents have sent multiple children on tours. If EF didn't do the right thing for the students on tour, these parents wouldn't be sending their kids on turs in back-to-back years, right? The company has consistently done an AMAZING job.

As for the $150 discount, speak with your Group Leader (the teacher running the tour at your child's school) and have him/her call EF about the $150 discount. I would expect if you get to the right person at EF Tours, they will honor the $150 discount if it was promised to you.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
Thank you for your nice post. I really don't want to involve the Group Leader. We are a new high school in San Diego. I don't think this should concern Mr. Hanover. He is nice in organizing this trip for Del Norte High School in San Diego. He didn't have anything at all to do with the $150 discount listed on their website. Do you know if Lars from EF tours can correct this for our account? What do you suggest? I would like to be one of the parents that can say 100% positive about EF tours too. It isn't the price of the $150 discount, it is the principle of standing by what you list on your website. Thanks for your time and I hope you have a nice day!
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
I understand, but as the Group Leader, it is MY responsibility to look out for my students and their families, and the contact with EF Tours ... is ME. So when there's an issue, I'M the one who take responsibility and gets it sorted out. That's the Group Leader's responsibility, since he/she has a DIRECT CONTACT (known as a Tour Consultant) at EF Tours in Boston.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
Do you think you could contact Ms. Gerlach at EF tours and have her contact me and help me out? I signed up in February and my daughter goes to Del Norte in San Diego? I just want my $150 as I signed up before Feb 28 according to the EF tours website when I signed up and to pay what the others from Del Norte HS in San Diego are paying. I would appreciate this. Mr. Hanover is a busy man and likes EF tours. I appreciate your time and thank you in advance. It is nice of you to say something nice about EF tours. Thank you.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
Yeah, if you look at the advertisement on the website, it's very clear. The $150 Early Bird discount requires that you enroll prior to Feb. 28, 2011, and is for 2012 tours. So if the tour you enrolled on is a 2011 tour, I doubt there is anything Ms. Gerlach or anyone else will be able to do. It's clear on the website that this discount applies to 2012 tours.
 23rd of Feb, 2011 by   eftours 0 Votes
@BethOcomplaints Again sorry for the confusion but cseymore is correct and the early bird discount only applies to 2012 tours. If you have any other questions please give us a call at 800-665-5364. Thanks cseymore for your nice comments! -Katie from eF
 24th of Feb, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
I really don't agree with your decison at all. If you put on your website that you will get $150 off if you sign up before Feb 28th which I clearly did. I should get that $150 off. Any good company stands by what they have on their website. What other things do you have for other people that are stated when you read an offer? You are misleading and wrong and a bad example for a company that takes high schoolers from Del Norte in San Diego on a tour that the parents are paying much money for!
 13th of Mar, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
BethO, cutting and pasting the same comment you'd last week doesn't help anyone get a different insight into EF.
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
Then EF and you should come clean and be honest with people. A good business has good business practices and honors what they post on their website. You advertised that if I signed up before Feb 28th which I did, you get a $150 discount. You have since changed your website. Be honest and give me my $150. What do the rest of you paying parents think. Not caseymore that works and gets paid by EF! Shouldn't EF do the right thing, honor what is on their website! Especially since they take high schoolers on tours! Especially those in San Diego!
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
First, you continue to write "you" and imply that EF Tours and myself are one in the same. We're not. I don't work for EF and I'm not paid by EF. I'm a teacher who has used EF Tours to bring groups to Europe and I haven't had a single complaint from a parent about the quality or prices. And this year 26 of my students received both $150 Early Bird discounts for our 2012 tour to France & Spain.

Like someone earlier wrote, reading the fine print is always helpful. I always make my parents aware of EXACTLY how much they will be paying. All of my parents were aware that if they signed up this winter for my 2011 trip the price would be X, and there would be no extra discounts. If you had been in communication with the teacher who is leading your tour I am sure he would have explained this to you. I also recall someone earlier on this site mentioning that nobody else on your daughter's tour is receiving the Early Bird discount, even though they enrolled on the trip before you did. That wouldn't seem fair, now would it?

As I wrote earlier, in 2009 when airport departure fees and fuel costs dropped dramatically in the 2 weeks prior to departure, EF promptly issued $121 refund checks to 49 of my students and their families. The families were not expecting this refund. It came as a complete surprise to all of them and to me. EF easily could have pocketed this money as additional profit, but didn't. That's nearly $6000. And to my understanding this was done for students all across North America. Clearly, history would seem to indicate this isn't a company that would hesitate to give you a $150 discount if you had met the terms of the discount and actually signed up "early". Switch to a 2012 tour and you would have been in line for the $150 discount.

Finally, with the way you're bashing EF over a $150 discount that you believe you are owed, and the comments you're making about how it's basically an untrustworthy and generally awful company, I don't understand why you're even sending your daughter on the trip at all.

If I had such little faith in a company, there's no way I would send my child abroad with them. Again, I don't get paid by EF, but they have done a fantastic job for my kids and parents over the course of 11 tours since 2006. The company has been VERY generous with Early Bird discounts and very flexible whenever my parents have run into financial difficulties over the last 5 years. The company has waived late fees when parents couldn't pay on time, fees as small as $20 or even fees of $75 or $125. They have been extremely professional and honest. I have brought more than 215 students abroad since 2006 and I haven't had a single parent complaint about prices, discounts, customer service or the quality of the tours themselves. That's a fact. I understand that you want the $150 discount, but beyond that you have absolutely no frame of reference which would allow you to comment on the company and disparage it online in this way. Just my 2 cents.
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
I trust Del Norte HS in San Diego to make the right decision for their students as well as Poway Unified Schools. You work for EF tours right?
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
No. I don't work for EF. Please read the above comment above. It's pretty clear and easy to understand. I'm a regular high school teacher, just like the teacher at Del Norte HS who is taking your child on an EF Tour.

Speaking of which, did you contact the teacher at Del Norte about this? What did he have to say about EF and this situation?
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
I didn't talk to the teacher at Del Norte in San Diego as he is teaching the students at Del Norte and not monitoring EF tours site. This doesn't effect him. He didn't write EF Tours website that stated that if you sign up before Feb 28th you get a $150 discount.

I know that this particular teacher at Del Norte is well thought of by the students in Poway Unified schools. I bet if it was up to him, he would honor what was on any website.

Thanks!
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   cseymore 0 Votes
I can just tell you from my personal experience that the issues facing the students traveling with me, and their parents, are ALWAYS my concern. Teachers who lead these tours are taking on extra responsibility because they enjoy making these opportunities available to their students, and I'm sure the teacher at Del Norte would say the same thing. We are able to teach AND keep up with planning our trips and helping parents and students who are traveling. I would always prefer that parents keep me in the loop so I'm in a position to help them whenever possible as we prepare for the trips.

It's unfortunate that you have such a negative view of EF Tours right now, because I can tell you they are a very good company, take care of the logistics and details of every trip in an extremely professional manner, and have done right by my students and their families over and over again for the last 5 years.
 16th of Mar, 2011 by   BethOcomplaints 0 Votes
Thank you for your interest. It looks like EF tours won't be honoring the $150 discount for now that was advertised on their website but I am sure that the Teacher at Del Norte in San Diego has been taking high schoolers to Europe for a while will take good care of the bunch and I know that my child is looking forward to going with him and Del Norte HS in San Diego.
 8th of Dec, 2011 by   GCG 0 Votes
@cseymore: I see by your many, many post on this site that you are a Group Leader and have taken 200 students on 11 trips. That equals out about 20 per trip. Your benefit in free trips would amount to well over $30, 000. Of course you are defending EF Tours, They have been very nice to you! In fact you are an employee of EF Tours no matter how much you state otherwise. Perhaps you should not be posting on this board and making statements about these "ridiculous" complaints (your word). Let the official EF rep respond since you are not in a position to resolve any issue. You seem quite immature in your thought process.
 8th of Dec, 2011 by   cseymore -1 Votes
Not sure what makes my thought process "immature." The fact is I am not an employee of EF Tours. I do not receive paychecks from EF not do I receive W-2 forms. Yes, EF Tours pays for the adult chaperones, based on a ratio of teachers to students. This is done, obviously, since no student tour can occur without adult supervision. Without this system, most trips would not occur, and countless students would not have the opportunity to travel. In some years I have led 3 groups of students on tours to Europe. Clearly, on a teacher salary I would not be able to afford to pay for 3 Europe trips per year. The parents of my student are aware of this, and have no problem with this arrangement. This does not make me an employee of EF Tours. Employee is defined as someone who is hired to perform services for wages or salary and is under the other's control. I do not receive a wage or salary, and I am not under the control of EF Tours. Sorry to refute your assertions, GCG, but I simply am not an employee of EF Tours.

Save for Retirement or Pay Down Debt?

Latest Groups