logo

25 Million Dollar Rip Off

Edison Nation
North Carolina
edisonnation.com
Beware Inventors this is the best scam cooked up in a long time. Edision Nation, owned by Louis Foreman is sending out emails to their insiders and publishing on the internet the 25 million Dollar innovation fund. Just read it, it sounds great, WRONG! BEWARE! Foreman and Edison Nation are preying on the uninformed inventor and asking for idea submissions for the low fee of $25 per idea. If the "Select" their idea, because the have a Magic Mirror for predicting success, Foreman may invest 250k to develop it. Here is where you need to see the BS in this contest. First if all your $25 will go into the Edision Nation Pocketbook. Second, how can Edison Nation possibly evaluate an idea for $25. Third You should be concerned that others may submit the same idea as you and Edison Nation may overlook your idea. Face it we invenotrs are mostly improving the products that exist in the marketplace so do you really think they will do their homework? I don't The mere fact is Louis Foreman's company is hoping you say what most people will, its only $25 so what the hell it better than spending thousands. For every thousand people who feel this way, Edison Nation will receive $25, 000. Essentially you are buying a $25 dollar lottery ticket, oh and by the way the lottery is a money making machine too. I don't doubt you will here Edison Nation and Foreman is going to invest in a few of these $25 dollar ideas, they will have to to keep up this scam. I expected much more from the company who sends me emails on a regular basis. This one made my stomach sick, now I question the integrity of Edison Nation, Inventors Digest and Foreman. Just Beware Inventors, we are constantly tempeted by this behavior. Think

Comments United States Scam Contests
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Edison Nation complaints
Edison Nation - Inventor scam artists

Comments

24th of Sep, 2012 by   49er mike +1 Votes
Trust no one but a good patent lawyer, and have him/her sign a disclosure statement after you have mailed the drawings/description to yourself. There is a book called "patent it yourself". I read most of it, and boy is it hard to do yourself. I would need help to do all of that process and paperwork. You need to be thourough. It is a good book to read and see how much is involved with patents, copyrights, and trademarks. Learn what the differences are in the three and you might not need a patent. Maybe you'll fall in a copyright or trademark situation. I tried to market a couple of ideas on my own as a test market. Making the product and packageing, then marketing is really tough. My golden $2000 dollar lesson ---ready here it is--- "just because you think it is a great idea does not mean anyone else thinks it is good or useful". I escaped on the cheap really. I am not going to risk it with EN. I'll go to the local inventors group and make my own decisions. I'll educate myself and make my own moves. If it does not feel right and your feeling that it is going nowhere, STOP, evaluate, and quit if the idea is starting to suck you of your money. Know your limits You should be able to sell your product in some mass amounts before you move on. If it does not sell I'd think about giving up like what happened to me. Sell the idea to a big company, but only with the use of a patent attorney. Cover yourself always. Good luck. Mike M.
 4th of Oct, 2012 by   dejinn 0 Votes
'good' patent lawyers take your money like anyone else. doesn't matter how ridiculous a patent idea may be, you have the right to file a patent on it. even if they know it is nonsense they will not tell you so. guilt-free thievery. that's why they are in that business.
 8th of Oct, 2012 by   Yulonda Whisby 0 Votes
Hello to my fellow innovators, my name is Yulonda Whisby, and I too am in a difficult siuation when it comes to idea submissions. I ran across the Everyday Edisons TV show and was awd. It was at that very second, that I felt like GOD was sending me the sign to go ahead and begin innovating. I can come up with so may ideas so fast, but I must admit, I am leery about submitting my idea to anyone. I am skeptical because, I know that people and companies steal legally, leaving the innocent and trusting common folk, low and disgusted. I remain in a difficult position because just like many of you, I have zero funds to produce any kind of prototype, let alone advertising, marketing and manufacturing, or a patent. Right now, the only thing I can do is put my hopes in someone who possess the know- how, and has the clientale. All I can do is pray that I come across some God-fearing angel, who has made a success of themselves and didn't forget where they came from. You all are not alone. I wish all of you the very best. We are all creative, and bright stars. We are smart and strong-willed. We will make it some day, some how. Keep your heads high and remain focused. Stay true in your endeavors, Disregard the negative. Some honest soul will recognize our potential without allowing greed to think for them. KEEP INNOVATING THINKERS! It's just like Thomas A Edison said: "From the neck down a man is worth a couple of dollars a day. From his neck up, he is worth anything his brain can produce." Stay positive and continue to work hard. Don't give up my friends, I know I won't.
 20th of Oct, 2012 by   VINCENZOD +2 Votes
I HAVE SENT IN OVER 12 INVENTIONS IDEAS TO EDISON, SOME OF THEM HAD MADE IT TO THIER STAGE 7 ONE STEP AWAY FROM BEING PICKED UP AND BROUGHT TO MARKET. AS FAR AS A SCAM? NOT SURE ALL I KNOW IS THAT FOR YEARS I HAVE HAVE PAID MY MONTHLY DUES AND WHEN THEY CHECK OUT YOUR IDEA AND YOU MAKE IT TO STAGE 7 OR LESS THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU ANY INFO WHY YOU WHERE NOT SELECTED OR HOW STRONG YOUR IDEA WAS. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOMEONE TO WORK WITH ME SPILT ANY PROFITS FROM MY IDEAS . IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT WANTS TO WORK WITH ME? I HAVE COPIES OF AN NDA FOR YOU TO SIGN, I CAN EMAIL YOU FOR YOU TO SIGN, I KNOW WITH THE RIGHT PERSON OR PEOPLE WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER. PLEASE CONTACT ME AT vincedangona@yahoo.com, LETS TALK MAYBE WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER. GOD BLESS
 20th of Oct, 2012 by   Inventorr 0 Votes
Beware of General Mills "innovation" site, if you don´t have a patent DON´T SUBMIT your idea to them or you could see your invention come to life ...but without your name on it...
 10th of Nov, 2012 by   Eureka Innovations -1 Votes
Stage 7???????... What the hell?? More like stage string you out. I am sure that 90% of the cronies on here are Edison Nation or work for them. Before you send any company any idea, you need to keep a documented diary of your idea. From the moment you created it and the improvements or any changes you make as you work on it. make sure you do as much as you can to show your progress. It is important you do sketches as detailed as you can. Do the best you can in your sketches, as I know not everyone is an artist. Get a friend who can draw that you trust. In all your sketches use arrow indicators to describe all parts this way if you cannot really draw it will describe what you are intending it to be. Go to your bank and ask for their free notary service and have it notarized, this will authenticate your date marks. As you progress and add more information go back and have your updates notarized. Now, this is not to be used as a form for Patents. This is your back up paper trail that you can use in case your Patent submission is stolen and you want to have even better evidence. If you have to go to court because you feel ripped off and the other person has nothing detailing his work in progress or proof, it will make your case look better, but again this is not the same as a submitted Patent. You still do not want to send your info to anybody until you have submitted it to the PTO. Look up Provisional Patents at USPTO.GOV they have made it very easy to submit your idea and the cost is only $125. Once you submit your Provisional Patent (on any idea) and receive your acknowledged submission form from the Patent Office with your Patent Pending # you can then begin to feel as safe as you would be if you had not when submitting your ideas to companies. The application form is 37 cfr 1.53 (c) type this in their search engine. Also their is a Submission form for the fee payment. Both are very simple to fill out. You will need to submit a detailed description of your idea try and be thorough, you do not need to sound like a lawyer just your best English. Make sure it makes sense and have someone read it that has never seen your idea, if you give it to someone that has they will already know what it is you are writing about. If they can understand it without your help as they read it then work on it some more. If you have to explain as they read, you must understand you will not be there to explain it to the Examiner. Also, draw a top, front, back, bottom and side view of what it will look like, again find a friend who can draw if you cannot, also show this to the person reading it without describing what it is, let them see if they can tell what it is. You can write the descriptions of each drawing in your written submission. Make sure that the person you have read it is somewhat capable of understanding, someone you consider intelligent. Fill out all your paper work and you can send it in. You can also file it over the internet which I believe is cheaper than the paper work and gets there faster. Inventors always think they have the next light bulb. You get so caught up in it and start asking your friends about what they think. They are your friends they are not going to try and hurt your feelings and most of the time agree. Best thing I do is tell people that I saw this new invention on say...TV or at a store then proceed to tell them your invention, not knowing it is a potential idea for an invention of yours, they will tell you straight up if they like it or not since your feelings unknowingly to them are not going to be hurt. You will need to ask several people, if they like it then you may have something if they do not then you need to be aware and understand that maybe it is something you would use but not interesting to others. This prevents you from spending to much money on your idea and will help rationalize your Eureka excitement. I would never send anything to anyone who asks money to have it looked at, what do they have to lose? Or better yet gain? Kansas City's Inventors club works with big name companies and evaluates them for free. They will either reject you immediately or pass you on to the next tier and if you do not live their they do their meetings on the internet live with very informative free information. They also have prior meetings each one having a subject. Well worth looking into. I was not aware that Quirky holds you to a contract even if they turn you down and you go elsewhere and are a success they have a part in it? Plus they also charge $10 for submission, and the products just like the ones on Edison Nation are OK but not top sellers, most of their inventions fizzle out after awhile. I have heard that Kickstarter.com is a great way to fund your project but they are not interested in gizmos like those on ASOTV they look for electronic ideas are mainly computer or smartphone or design. Every State has an Inventors group, you will meet other inventors that will either be starting their invention or nearly finishing or have finished. You will get all the war stories of whom to avoid, they are their to help, and understand you do not want to reveal your idea. I can guarantee you you will hear negatives on Edison Nation, and its rag Inventors Digest. When a magazine works with a company, it is going to be biased. If you do read it anytime they mention Edison Nation, you know that it is free advertising for their partner. Fox is guarding the hen house. I read several comments mentioning that several of the people on here that are negative are just sore, but not one of them showed me a product of theirs that got to market, only how helpful Edison Nation was including that poor guy who went through 7 tiers... again...what? Beware of all the vultures in this racket, they will pick you dry and the only ones to make any money are the scammers. Good luck... Oh! Edison Nation commenters, covering your butts show us some of your works in progress or give us the details on how these inventors are doing financially you have financed. This would really help us trust you!
 10th of Feb, 2013 by   J1000cv -1 Votes
I submitted my invention to edison nation only to find it 3years later being sold in stores. I had a patent. Do I have any rights?
 12th of Mar, 2013 by   Independent Inventor +2 Votes
I was a member there for a couple of years and I can tell you that Louis Foreman and company are laughing all the way to the bank! They've COMPLETELY sucked in thousands of people by convincing them that they'll be safe from all the unscrupulous inventor assistance companies out there. That part is true, they WILL keep your submissions secret, but try going to the USPTO website and search for patent applications under Louis Forman's name! I'll save everyone the trouble, here's the link:

See anything there that relates to ideas that have been submitted to them?? And he's actually trying to secure patents on the very type of scam he's running!

Basically, they're slowly nickel and diming their members to death! And because so many of them have consumed the "EN Koolaid" they're like zombies believing that their submissions have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding. Try looking ANYWHERE on the web to see if you can find out how many members Edison Nation actually has. You're not likely to find that information anywhere because it's such a closely guarded secret. One of their members who they made into a hero of sorts actually let the membership number slip out in one of their forum posts. But in no more than an hour or two later that information was scrubbed clean from the post! At the time (maybe a year ago?) the total membership was about 80, 000!! Think about that for a minute. If only 10% or their members submit an idea to any given search that means at a minimum, you're completing against at least 8, 000 other members on the same submission! But that same 8, 000 times $25 per submission puts $200, 000 into the pockets of Louis Foreman and company! And that process gets repeated scores of times each year!

One of their inventions that they LOVE to hold up as a "HUGE" success story is the Eggies product. If you look it up on Amazon you'll find the reviews are appallingly bad! Out of HUNDREDS of reviews 75% give the product a one star rating and many people made comments indicating they would have given the product ZERO stars if it had been an option! The reviews for the Emery Cat and Mr. Steamy aren't a whole lot better either. But if you want to become a target of a massive flaming campaign just join for free and try posting anything about what a shitty product Eggies are see what happens!

So if you're serious about trying to bring a product to market, try checking out the Big Idea Group:

Or Warren Tuttle's group:

1st of May, 2013 by   invgirlie -2 Votes
I am not affiliated with Edison Nation. Just a few thoughts.

1. Consider that your idea really is NOT all that original. Case in point. A few weeks ago, I was watching TV and saw a commercial for a product I thought I had invented. Yet it was being advertised by a big, international company. Funny thing is that I never told anyone about my idea. It was still in my head. So, this means that someone else thought of the same idea and beat me to it. PLUS, consider that big companies have staff members whose sole job is to come up with new product ideas. Up thread, someone said they invented coffee bags. Really?? Isn't it possible that one of Folgers R & D staff members came up with that same idea and just had the means to develop it?

2. Some people don't have the time, money, or skill to bring product to market by themselves. Using a company like EN makes sense for some people.

3. EN is very transparent with their disclosures. You can go to their site and read the language from the actual contracts you would sign. As to patents, they are clear and honest about it. If you come to the table without your own patent, they will patent it for you under their name. They tell you this upfront. You can read about it before you submit. If you are not comfortable with any of their provisions, you have the right to not submit to them.

EN may not be for everybody, but they are NOT a scam.

Again, your "great" idea may not be as unique as you think it is.
 28th of May, 2013 by   Daryl Drennan -1 Votes
Inventing is foremost about the person who will use the invention, the consumer. If you care enough about the consumer having a better life. And you care enough about how the product will help people than don't give up. Inventing isn't foremost about making money it's about making peoples lives better.Money serves to help with physical needs but helping others blesses the soul and inventing products that make life better for others embraces the heart of the gifted inventor. Inventing is seeing what does net yet exist and that takes sight that most people don't have. It also requires strong faith and hope that you will make the world a better place through your gifted abilities. It's about you touching the world. People aren't really complicated they simply want a product that will make their lives better. Offer them what they're looking for and they will find it. Inventors through history have changed the world to give people a better tomorrow not to line their pocketbooks. If anyone makes hood money while they help make a netter tomorrow that is simply an added benefit. God bless you.
 13th of Jun, 2013 by   ricoh_2001 0 Votes
I also I have my doubts IN, send 4 Ideas and spent the 4th. I said nothing. I have flaws there.
I am now seeing a quirky it seems better, have much inventions commercially. edwin cen

I also want to expose an experience.
once patent an idea that was 10 years in my mind.
10 months and appeared in trade for sale, I thought someone who eloped the idea to the company. the reason is that my idea was not patentable and therefore it could either make.
 20th of Jun, 2013 by   Sarah Van Vlake 0 Votes
I agree with this 100% Edison Nation is a total ripoff!! They left me hanging on an idea for over two years...I shelled out 9.25 a month to be an "insider" then submitted an idea several times...on one of them I was left hanging for over a year, told that I was moved to their "Insider Licensing Program" left hanging for another year and was promised feedback if my idea was not licensed. The only feedback I got was :"Sorry we couldn't find a home for your idea" after all the YEARS of waiting and all the money I wasted!!! I can't even find a phone number for the cowards!!!
 3rd of Jul, 2013 by   Sarah Van Vlake +1 Votes
I should and do apologize for saying that Edison Nation is a total ripoff. I was/am very frustrated at how they handled my concerns, but to say that they are a total ripoff was wrong on my part. I think that they need a lot of work in the communication department.
 27th of Sep, 2013 by   AlexiaB 0 Votes
I was just about to send them something until I read this - so thanks! Can anyone recommend a good place to go with an original idea, where I can have a prototype made? I discovered Edison Nation on the QVC website, so was believing in them until now.
 28th of Sep, 2013 by   vergulito 0 Votes
Edison nation, and its sister company, Everyday Edisons are FRAUD. A scam. Their dishonesty is only surpassed by their arrogance and belief that they are above the law. See: www.edisonnationisascam.com THEY ARE FRAUD
 28th of Oct, 2013 by   Ganrooburns 0 Votes
It isn't a scam. They have an A rating on the bbb.org website. Plus, I've tried another site that truly is a scam- Davison. That place wants about $600 plus another $11000 or so once they "select" your idea. All they have me was a binder full of similar inventions but mine was still first to market..supposedly. Do your research and you should be fine!
 22nd of Nov, 2013 by   Elmo Derador -1 Votes
Just visit www.edisonnationisascam.com

Also see http://youtu.be/Z4KQQH3aK0Q

They defrauded me several times. I took them seriously only because they had a TV program that airs on PBS. They declared me an "Everyday Edison" for three of my inventions. Poor PBS.

After I gave them a "Power of Attorney" to manage these three inventions, their gross negligence and irresponsibility caused me to lose a monopoly of my intellectual property rights for these 3 inventions for 20 Years. (The length of a US patent)

Then, they also defrauded me with their online scam. I submitted 245 inventions where 37.5 % were finalists, 3 more products selected to be brought to market, for a total of 6 inventions they were contractually obligated to produce, and bring to store shelves, plus all those 245 inventions entitled to recurrent submission at no extra fee, by virtue of my "Insider" membership which cost me extra each month, ended up being fraudulent claims, promises, and agreements arbitrarily and arrogantly breached.

The crooks actually believe that they are above everybody's rights. That they are above the law.

When I started blowing the whistle, they just closed my account. See http://youtu.be/BSAWN8c3j5o

Another youtube video is posted with this message

On top of everything, they desecrate the name of Thomas Edison. Edison Nation and Everyday Edisons have no decency or respect for anything except for each dollar they can scam out of hardworking, innocent, good faith independent inventors.

They are professional scammers, lead by their Chief Charlatan Officer, Louis Foreman, a professional, compulsive liar. A Con Artist.

On top of all the money I paid them, All the earned achievements that ended up in deception and fraud, I lost at least 7000 hours of labor and diligence put into my 245 submissions lured by their promises and contractual assurances.

My name is Luis Rodriguez and I make these statements under penalty of perjury.
 22nd of Nov, 2013 by   Elmo Derador +1 Votes

Just visit www.edisonnationisascam.com

Also see http://youtu.be/Z4KQQH3aK0Q

Another youtube video is posted with this message

My name is Luis Rodriguez and I make these statements under penalty of perjury.

3rd of Dec, 2013 by   anonymous123432 +1 Votes
I have used Edison Nation before, and never got past stage 7. Now, they have more transparency and will tell you why your idea didn't get chosen. I submitted a new idea recently (my past experiences were years ago) and at this point in time I am totally fed up with them. When I got R4'd their 'feedback' was that the invention didn't have mass market potential due to not having benefits over what is on the market. That is totally absurd because I outlined numerous benefits over the current products on the market so it felt like I was dealing with some bureaucracy that is just making stuff up and not actually putting thought into it. To add insult to injury, they reused my links I included in the submission to show the competition so they could see how much more advanced my invention was, and used those links when they said that there was no benefit. So, basically by reusing my links it appears that they didn't put more than a few moments of work and thought into the invention. I consider that to be a total waste of money, to have someone spend such little though on the invention that they can't find their own evidence to prove a point.
 6th of Dec, 2013 by   Sarah Van Vlake +2 Votes
I tried to contact an administrator at Edison Nation by the name of Matt Spangard back in early July of this year with a legitimate question because I was told by the other members that he was reliable and would help me. It is now December 6 (five months later) and I have not heard a peep or anything else from him. I would not recommend Edison Nation to anyone.

Help for Start-Ups