logo

25 Million Dollar Rip Off

Edison Nation
North Carolina
edisonnation.com
Beware Inventors this is the best scam cooked up in a long time. Edision Nation, owned by Louis Foreman is sending out emails to their insiders and publishing on the internet the 25 million Dollar innovation fund. Just read it, it sounds great, WRONG! BEWARE! Foreman and Edison Nation are preying on the uninformed inventor and asking for idea submissions for the low fee of $25 per idea. If the "Select" their idea, because the have a Magic Mirror for predicting success, Foreman may invest 250k to develop it. Here is where you need to see the BS in this contest. First if all your $25 will go into the Edision Nation Pocketbook. Second, how can Edison Nation possibly evaluate an idea for $25. Third You should be concerned that others may submit the same idea as you and Edison Nation may overlook your idea. Face it we invenotrs are mostly improving the products that exist in the marketplace so do you really think they will do their homework? I don't The mere fact is Louis Foreman's company is hoping you say what most people will, its only $25 so what the hell it better than spending thousands. For every thousand people who feel this way, Edison Nation will receive $25, 000. Essentially you are buying a $25 dollar lottery ticket, oh and by the way the lottery is a money making machine too. I don't doubt you will here Edison Nation and Foreman is going to invest in a few of these $25 dollar ideas, they will have to to keep up this scam. I expected much more from the company who sends me emails on a regular basis. This one made my stomach sick, now I question the integrity of Edison Nation, Inventors Digest and Foreman. Just Beware Inventors, we are constantly tempeted by this behavior. Think

Comments United States Scam Contests
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Edison Nation complaints
Edison Nation - Inventor scam artists

Comments

21st of May, 2011 by   Eureka Innovations -2 Votes
There needs to be a law that prevents these type of companies whom pray on wishful and undereducated inventors whom take the bait form what I call vultures. The only people to make any money are these so called inventor help companies. They are all snake oil salesmen. They want your money to evaluate your idea??? That is the same scam as the chain letter. If 10, 000 people send in $25.00 they are just laughing at your ignorance right off the bat. Edison Nation is one of them. What is a big shame is that they were on PBS portraying themselves as heros for the inventors. PBS needs to do a story on these con-artists, as to what they really are about. They keep sending out E-mails with contests they are setting up through big companies. They tell you that they get better than industry standards in Royalties and are willing to split it with you. They fail to tell you that industry standards are 3%-5% and that is only if it is profit, you do not get one thin dime till your idea is in the black. Basically they just act as a go between with your money funding the whole project. They do nothing you could not do yourself. Think about it this way, Lets just sayyour Idea has just made $1, 000, 000 and that is profit...and your cut is 5% you just made the company that manufacturers the product $950, 000...Your cut of the whole thing is only $25, 000 because you just gave your other half to Edison Nation of $25, 000. You have already spent way more than that just getting patents and all the other vulture companies that prey on first or even second time inventors, mold makers, Patent lawyers, advertising, web pages..list goes on. Anytime you have to send people money to look at your ideas is the same as applying for a job and having to pay them for clerical work. You need to get with your local inventors group, each State has one, or just call the President of one near you and let him tell you the war stories of these Vultures. These local Inventors are just like you and I, they are not in it to scam you, it is like a fraternity where you can get practically all your information as to whom to avoid or give you contacts that may take you to the next level. There are inventors in the group that are at different levels and have fallen in the trappings of these heartless jerks. I honestly cannot see how these people can sleep at night knowing they are bleeding you dry by leading you on, knowing that as long as they keep you all lathered up about your invention you will keep pitching money at them till you have no more to give. You have drained your savings, put your house up, borrowed money from friends and family. Then when all your resources are dried up, they will not have a thing to do with you. If you look at all the ideas that have gone to market with this company Edison Nation or any company in the same rip-off business, for all the years they have been in business it is a joke!!.. They may get one hit here and there, but I guarantee you they have suckered hundreds of thousands out of their dreams. They do help me in one way..and they can help you as well..when they send you the information that there is a contest for a ceartain idea for a big name company..I just send the idea to the company after their so called contest is over. They are helping me by letting me know who is looking for ideas and it makes it better to send your invention to companies looking for ideas because 90% of most companies DO NOT take ideas from outside inventors, they tell you they have a department that does that for them and they do not want to deal with all the legalities of outside sources. I will thank them for that. Good luck with your venture, be safe, do all your own leg work and if you can do it yourself you turn the tables and get 90% of the profits for yourself, why would you want to sell you idea and make someone else rich? Always make your first step in Inventing towards Your States or cities Inventors organazations. You can get a Provisional Patent for a mere $110.00 which protects you for 1 year as a Patent Pending. This allows you to show your ideas to anybody and feel safe, to see if your product or idea is worth even going to market with and you do not waist 10's of thousands on the Vultures that pick your bones dry. Disclosure documents are a joke, any Lawyer can find a loophole in a contract. Just go to PTO.Gov and look up Provisional Patent, a fifth grader can do this one.
 12th of Jun, 2011 by   Carlos +1 Votes
I think you people are way off line here...you need to get your facts down before posting your claim. Sure there might be some flaws in there service, but for the most part I love EN and what they do. I will continue to be a member. There is NO other Innovative service out there, that provides a Innovative platform like EN does, I've learned so much being a member it's mind boggling. It's obvious you people were members at one time, and are just bitter that your innovative idea didn't make the cut!!!
Carlos Romo

P.S why don't you people leave your names?
 17th of Jun, 2011 by   ieden 0 Votes
After creating account and providing general details of invention, I thought it would be a good idea to verify if the company would respond to a simple "forgot password" request. Nope... No response to emails or requests.
Pity, my invention would have saved the average homeowner several hundred dollars per year in fuel costs.
 31st of Aug, 2011 by   Jen Malcom -3 Votes
I submitted an idea to this company and then within two months, the FBI came out with MY IDEA!!! I was totally shocked, and outraged! Someone in the EN company had to have sent my idea to the feds! Apparently, they bought the patent and sold the idea...I was totally ripped off! I know it doesn't take two months to actually come up with a phone app and develop it. It was only about 6 weeks after I submitted my idea to them, and it was moving right along, until about the 3rd tier, and then just stopped, and then about two weeks later, my idea was revealed by the feds...I had written out the entire idea, and they took part of it and ran with it! I know I have no recourse, because I had no patent...I couldn't afford it.

All I can say is Karma will catch up to each and every thief involved in this, and I hope they get what's coming to them! That was MY idea, and it was sitting on their site for the longest time (since Christmas of last year), so they could easily have read it, and used it then. I was stupid. Please don't be fooled like i was...I'll never do that again!
 19th of Oct, 2011 by   MissMolly2 +1 Votes

Would major corporations work with a company that wasn't reputable? The answer is no. If you want to know what Edison Nation is about, check them out.
 20th of Oct, 2011 by   GregoryM  Best Advice +4 Votes
I agree that this complaint is way off base. There is no scam here. Edison Nation never claims to make you a millionaire. Their appeal is to the inventor who may NOT HAVE thousands of dollars or hours to invest in researching intellectual property. Sure you may file your own provisional patent but you can also ruin your chances at protecting your invention by filing a poorly written document. The author offers no proof to back the claims that Edison Nation is a scam, not one single concrete fact. Additionally, the author's poor sentence structure and horrendous vocabulary seems to be a red flag, and this person would probably be better off with Edison Nation. Why? Edison Nation will take a poorly written submission and work to develop it, IF the idea is marketable. And guess who pays for all the IP? Edison Nation writes that check and the inventor does NOT pay out one cent. The lottery ticket analogy is also inaccurate. In a lottery ALL chances are equal regardless of the amount of tickets purchased. Edison Nation encourages the inventor to work hard to perform their own due diligence yet some do not even take the time to Google their invention and are angry when Edison Nation rejects their idea because it is already on the market. Sadly, there are a lot of so called "inventors" who do not do their homework; this is not the fault of Edison Nation. Therefore, some submissions come more qualified and these concepts will have a better chance. There are hundreds of shady characters who do indeed prey upon inventors and one should NOT enter into ANY agreement before researching the company and details thoroughly. However, Edison Nation is one of the few "good guys" in this industry. I invite the readers here to visit Edison Nation's forums and ask the tough questions. Do your homework and seek the truth. But as an inventor, also take the time to do YOUR research, get informed and proceed when and where you feel comfortable. On a final note, there is NO charge to sign up with Edison Nation. The forums offer inventors access to hundreds of like minded individuals and one would be hard pressed to find a more educated and passionate group of inventors. For the record, I am not affiliated with Edison Nation and unlike the author, I will leave my name. Greg Myracle
 18th of Nov, 2011 by   Venting1234 +1 Votes
That really bites Jen. One way to protect your idea, which may not all ways work, but is a cheap measure, is to write out your patent in a letter, then mail it to your self registered mail. I would even go as far as mailing two or three letters. When you goto the PO, ask they stamp the back of your letter. When you get them back, don't open them, keep them in a safe place.

Your idea is patentable at the time it was conceived. If no one else submits it to the USPTO, your idea is yours. But using the method above, and someone else patents your idea, you may have recourse if you came up with the idea first. The letters satisfies the legal rules in a court of law.

There are all ways stipulations, as in sometimes if you have an idea and just sit on it, the USPTO or a court may rule in favor of another. You have to be actively seeking an ideas development. This is just one example. As I opened with, this may not all ways work. However I think that $5 to $15 is least worth some protection.
 24th of Jan, 2012 by   Ideas +1 Votes
No no no. That is not how you protect a idea. Write up everything about your idea. Then go get it notarized stamped with a date and time. That is the poor mans provisional patent. That shows that your plan is to go public with your idea. This will stand up in court if any one takes your idea. I saw a video on youtube of this lawyer Darrcell walker.
 24th of Jan, 2012 by   NeverGiveUp1 +1 Votes
As I read reviews online about Edison Nation, I came across a few that read almost verbatim to my experience with this company! I submitted an idea to them and it made it to the 3rd tier only to stop there. I thought ok, that's fine but THEN less than one year, I saw an advertisement for my same idea - right down the EXACT illustration mock ups, ad-copy and other information that I submitted directly to Edison Nation! I was floored and angry and hurt all at once. I contacted EN and they, of course, gave me the standard Plausible Den. rhetoric; however, both I and God know what transpired there. The problem may or may not be at the top levels of the company, but somewhere within their system they are flawed because someone within their company 'leaked' my idea (or just outright sold it) to another company for profit. I received nothing but broken dreams. Thank God I am not a quitter but DO NOT SEND YOUR IDEAS TO THIS COMPANY. This is the inventor's greatest nightmare.
 24th of Jan, 2012 by   NeverGiveUp1 +1 Votes
 12th of Mar, 2012 by   bgkaake 0 Votes
Edison Nation and Louis Foreman do not run a non-profit organization. None of Louis Foreman's at least 5 companies are non-profit. If you are unwilling or unable to pursue your own invention, then you can't complain if someone else is offering the opportunity and expects to earn a very generous profit from doing so. That is business and why those who have money tend to make more money.

Jen, Venting, and Ideas, need to educate themselves about the ins and outs of the inventing process through a non-profit educational association [local inventors organization or the United Inventors Association (501 (c)(3) non-profit (www.uiausa.org)] because their comments are naive at best. Be ware of those that claim they are there for educating the inventor but are just a front for a profit-making company. Look for educational inventor organizations listed on the United Inventors Association's website.

Inventing, like starting any business, is a high risk endeavor and the vast majority fail in the first year. Inventors' product ideas tend to fail at an even greater rate than traditional start-up businesses. Even the products that Edison Nation has invested in and taken to market on behalf of inventors have not succeeded as well as one might think. It is not easy or everyone would do it. Foreman's companies make money in other ways. He is an excellent promoter and knows how to leverage technology. I give him credit for that. Don't ask him to donate to your favorite charity...you will pay him for the right to submit the idea.

The majority of inventors do not understand what it takes to successfully commercialize a product and underestimate the value of a team. Many think someone should "take it and run with it" just because the inventor thinks he/she has a good idea. Get real, there are no charities for inventors who have no money. You are at the mercy of whomever you give your idea. Patents only give you the opportunity to sue someone, take 3-5 years to get issued, and cost upward of $500, 000 to litigate against infringement. I have worked with new products both with and without patents for over 16 years. What I can tell you is that if you think there is a need for a solution to a problem, someone else is thinking the same thing. Rewards go to those who act quickly. To think someone has stolen your idea is naive...they steal or imitate commercially successful products, not ideas. Move your feet, not your mouth.

Bonnie Griffin Kaake
 14th of Mar, 2012 by   worldtraveled1 -1 Votes
Bonnie, I agree with the fact that it takes a lot of hard work and determination in order to get any business off the ground and that inventing - rather bringing a product to market is much akin to making a business successful. However, this 'submit your idea and watch a miracle happen' concept is JUST what Edison Nation is proposing with their inventor competitions. 'Submit your idea and if chosen, you will receive compensation. Reading some of the experiences from some of the people who submitted their ideas only to have them stolen out from under them is a horrific nightmare! Even if this type of thing only has happened to a hand full of EN submissions...really...isn't this happening ONE TIME too many times?! I am a creative productive person and I understand how they must have felt. I, too, loathed the non-producers whose sole profit core is from stealing from creative producers and fattening their own pockets without paying any compensation to the one who initiated the idea, etc. Keep your heads up, my fellow producers of the world! Karma always catches up.
 14th of Mar, 2012 by   bgkaake 0 Votes
Worldtraveled1, I agree with you that if it truly happened, even once, it is too many times. For this reason, I recommend that an inventor move quickly to commercialize his/her own product concept. There is no fairy godmother/father who is truly interested in seed stage funding. "Submit your idea and watch a miracle happen" is puffery advertising at best, gets the attention of dreamers, and misleading for the naive. First to market successfully, carries a lot of weight. If all one has is an idea, it isn't worth anything until someone does something with it that makes it commercially viable.

Again, I emphasize that many people are creating solutions for the same problem. It happens all the time and I see it when I do research for inventors to determine feasibility for moving forward.
 12th of May, 2012 by   swheels 0 Votes
Hello all, I've submitted quite a number of inventions to Edison Nation... here are my thoughts:

Before submitting I did some lurking in the forums to try to get a handle on the company and what they propose to provide. I certainly was leery about sending off any of my inventions for fear of a rip off. Although I did find some disgruntled members, generally most seem to be happy with the system. The real clincher for me is what the company has managed to build that seems to support a legitimate business model that would be destroyed by improper conduct. Not only have they been able to attract large companies, and well known people for the specific product searches (as you mentioned MissMolly2), but they have been able to develop a television program based on the invention process and winning product ideas.

I'm not saying that there haven't been any slip ups, because I don't know, but let's put it this way: If you had the opportunity to have 50% (thier take) on an unlimited number of marketable ideas or take 100% of a few, what would you choose?

I would suggest that a stolen invention may or may not have occurred at some point, or that perhaps there still exists the possibility that it could happen again; but Edison Nation has been able to build an amazing business model (unlike other invention companies) that would not only survive but produce an astounding amount of revenue for the company, but only if they were legitimate.

For me, I've done enough research to know how difficult bringing a product to market is and how many false invention companies there are. If I were to remain safe, I'd keep all my inventions to myself and continue in the hope that one day I will be able to find the time and money and attempt to bring one to market myslef. Now that's fantasy.

On the other hand, I've used up at least half my time on this planet... Times running out, and Edison Nation appears to be my best bet.
 9th of Jul, 2012 by   mjamja -1 Votes
Hi! I feel like I have a great idea for the food and beverage industry. I've done all my research, including a patent search for my product. I've been researching for years now, trying a way to figure it out on my own, but I've learned I can't afford too or couldn't find any REAL investors. So I've decided to try a company like Edison Nation maybe. Are there any real people out there who were successful with this company?? If so, I would like to chat with you please, please, please!! Email me at mikej.allen@comcast.net, Thanks..
 19th of Aug, 2012 by   John Curry 89 0 Votes
Thanks for all the good reading. My emotions are running off the scale when it comes to the TRUST factor, but here I sit all in a knot on what to do. I have no money, I am broke lost everything, but I have been sitting on 3 invention for a little while now and I am just getting older, so what the hell send 1 to EN and see how it goes, I can only blame myself, so good luck people I will keep you all informed...John Curry
 29th of Aug, 2012 by   Bean Tinker 0 Votes
John Curry - Please keep us posted. I've been researching e few different options for my ideas. I am also one that has a few ideas but no desire to take on the venture beyond developing the prototype. I've been going back and forth between Quirky and EN. Leaning towards EN for a few reasons. Quirky binds you in a contract that obligates you to pay them 10% after rejecting your idea if you pursue it with somebody else. Let's face it, the possibility of anyone's idea being rejected is huge. Quirky also posts the idea for thousands of people to see - even with a provisional patent, I'm not comfortable with that because like many other inventors, I believe my idea is a good one. Either way, for those of us that don't have the funds, time or experience to take our idea to market - these types of options could be a good thing. So please, John Curry, if EN provides you with a pleasant experience, please let us know. Thank you Bean Tinker
 13th of Sep, 2012 by   Michele +1 Votes
I am the ORIGINAL inventor of the coffee bag. I am an avid coffee drinker and one day I thought...what if I want a cup of coffee and there is no coffee maker available? Well there is real tea in tea bags, so why not ground coffee? I hired a company to research it for me, sending them a few hundred dollars a month, and even sent a PROTOTYPE to them, and months later (about a year), around Christmas time, my friend came to my house and said, "Guess what I just saw in Kmarts?" Coffee bags!! Yes folks, not only were they still charging me, but stole my idea and sold it to major coffee companies!! I still have the ORIGINAL paperwork that I mailed to myself and never opened it. So BEWARE of these fraudulent companies that ask you to pay any kind of fee. You are better off to research your idea and hire a patent attorney. And by the way...I have a new invention...but no funds to create it. So it sits in my mind...

16th of Sep, 2012 by   Mvs77 -1 Votes
I just want to thank every one for showing me the light. I've always had many ideas and inventions. And I just started a en acct. But became weirry cause they charge u just to review youre idea. Thats NOT right. I cant afford to do that. Heck, I cant even afford to be ripped off. so how do I get my ideas to be looked at, without getting ripped off and spending a lot of money?
 24th of Sep, 2012 by   Elsombre +1 Votes
To everyone who feels ripped off because someone else "stole" your idea, please consider that you might not be the only person with that idea. Many of my ideas/inventions (which never left my drawing boards) have been patented by others and some have become successful products. Just because you thought of it, doesn't mean you thought of it first. I've used EN in the past and, knowing the limitations of their process, am quite satisfied with their services. I'd like them to provide more but for $25 you get what you pay for.

As far as other resources for inventors - I'd recommend MIPO (https://twitter.com/mipooregon), they are a non-profit inventor assistance organization (in Oregon) that provides a low cost avenue to mentors, patent services and engineering/prototypes if you can follow through that far. Using MIPO services, I now have a provisional patent and will start engineering and prototyping in a couple of months - at an extremely low cost. Also consider crowd sourcing - kickstarter.com is a great example and there are many more.

Good luck to everyone,