logo

Keeps breaking

EDEN PURE
7800 WHIPPLE AV NW
Canton, Ohio
We bought the Edenpure 500 Oct. 2007. Used it only occasionally last winter. Stored over summer and just started using last month. Today, we turned it on and it made a loud noise (probably fan) and then stopped. Looks like the element is still working though.
We should be able to open up the fan area and oil it or something. I have not gotten through to the customer service (they are having a high volume of calls- what does that tell you?)

Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I agree on these "Snake-Oil" charlatins, pushing "miracles" and ways to save money with these pieces of crap. Same goes for the "Amish Mantles" our local newspaper tries to promote---nothing different in these, from the other junk that's seen on informercials and in Sunday supplements, direct mails, local hardware store promotions, etc. Highly overpriced, difficulties with customer service / returns / repairs, etc., should tell you that you can just go to your local home improvement center and buy an oil-type heater for under $35.00 and it will last you for several seasons. I speak from experience, we have one in our uninsulated mudroom and it keeps the space toasty warm, even in the coldest part of winter. If it craps out, I'll junk it and spend another $35.00 and I'm one happy camper. Over $300.00 for an "infrared" heater???? Nah, I'm a believer in Barnum's statement-----"There's a sucker born every minute."
 8th of Apr, 2009 by    -1 Votes
Yes the 300's are poorly made and are prone to problems, I have three other freinds and myself who are very, very happy we spent even more. Like $500 for the larger units, I have already saved in two years of use a total of $2300.00 in gas bills alone. And the house is warmer, it takes two units but they have made it all the way to two years /seasons running. I am beyond satisfied and would recommend the 500-1500 series anyday!
 13th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
we used it a little bit last winter and when we brought it out this year it is making a loud rattling noise and cant get it to stop what can we do about this
 14th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
i had mine plugged in over night and woke up and it was turned off and would not turn on. i did nothing to make that happen. can u help?
 17th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
ours only blows cool air...what is wrong? We only bought it last winter!
 18th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
WOW...I WAS ON THE VURGE OF CALLING THE 880 LINE AND PURCHASING THE EDEN HEATER...NO WAY NOW!!!
 19th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Eden Pure Heater - Does not work

I purchased an Eden Pure 500 heater in November of 2007. It broke and I had it replaced in February of 2008. Now the replacement heater is broken and the warranty has expired. Neither heater functioned for more than 100 total hours.
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
Many people are complaining about quality! I was about to purchace one, I don't need the problems. anyone from edenpure wish to comment! richinmounds07@yahoo.com
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was about to buy one . So many unhappy people!! Why should I take a chance?? the company can not take care of the people or products!! Some one from Edenpure like to explain why they made so many people un-happy?? richinmounds07@yahoo.com
 24th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
What a rip-off. We bought an Edenpure - worked for a couple months. After that it would heat for ten minutes, shut off and would not start again. Sent it in for warranty work. The customer service was rude and had written an entirely different explanation than what we had told her. When we got it back, it worked for a couple weeks, than repeated the same problem: heat for ten minutes and turn off. We called again, another rude customer service person told us it was out of warranty - and would only offer to return a portion of our purchase price, but we would have to pay shipping.
Why would we return this piece of junk so they can 'refurbish' it and sell it at full price to another sucker? Our elderly neighbor lady has had the exact same problem with her Edenpure. I would NOT RECOMMEND the Edenpure to anyone I liked!
 18th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
Wanted to buy two, either from Edenpure or Heatsurge from the Amish: one for ourselves and one for our daughter, who bought a condo in CT. After reading for sometime for both of them on websites, I will recommend my daughter to get a Homeywell under $30.0 from her local Walgreens or other stores that stock it . I have been using one the for last 3 years, without any problems, to warm up my office of 120 sq. ft .
 20th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
My 6 year old $19 space heater from walmart out lasted my eden pure by 5 years and 6 months. That thing is a piece of crap. I was trying to save money and we lost money. I used it last year during a few months, went to turn it on a few weeks ago...nothing...it was showing a few problems last year shutting off and not turning on again, but this year it has not come on at all. And of course the warranty is expired. And the customer service is terrible. I don't complain about much but this is a bad product. Pure and simple.
 24th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
I bought a Eden Pure heater 1000-XL it worked fine the first season, the second season
it would start and stop so I sent it back and they did fix it, it ran good until the end of
second season and it started to do the same thing, and it was now out of warranty!

So I took the thing apart to see what I could see, it turns out the safety switch was the
problem. The safety switch is a set of contact points, when they break contact the
whole heater shuts down!
It is held on with two screws, with two wires running to it, I took the switch out and threw
it in the trash put the two wires together with one screw and it works just fine!

It runs until the room is warm, and when it cools down it starts up again just like it
did when new! It just doesn't have the safety switch.
I have had it working like this for one month now!

It does heat good while using little electricity but it cost almost $400!
Would I buy another one NO!
You can buy an old style milk house heater and get the same heat for$20!
 1st of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have used my Edenpure 1000XL through one winter trouble free. Going into winter two it started rattleing. The fan motor was going out. Its out of warranty, so I called the dealer Bio Tech. They sold the motor and squirrel cage bower for 49.95-that includes shipping. It does a good job, but don't seem to be very durable. Mine was a refurbished unit. I would not buy another EdenPure. Just go buy a small heater at your local store. Hope to have mine going in a week. Will see how long second motor lasts.
 6th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
ECP - could you explain what you mean by 'safety switch'? Is it the bi-metal thermostat that EdenPure calls the fan sensor?
Or the contact switch that the company calls the heat sensor? or finally, the thermostat sensor? I have also shorted the fan sensor, but my bulbs (recently replaced) do not come on.
 8th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I have 2 of them. One makes the loud noise everyone is talking about and the other one blows for a while then shuts off and won't come back on. I loved them when they both worked, but now they are both krap and I hate them. I've had them for three years.The first year I sent one back for repairs and the second year they both started having problems. Third year niether one of them work any more!
 22nd of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Shame on Bob Vila, he starts out talking about the heat you loose through your unsealed duct work and than instead of giving you an answer like use Mastic Sealnt to seal most of those ducts he gives you EdenPure! How does using more electricity save you money? It doesn't! Does it save you money to seal all those leaky ducts with Mastic? Yes!This is what he should be endorsing http://www.rcdmastics.com/

30th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I wouldn't buy anything that Bob Vila endorses. But, that's just silly ol' me.
 31st of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
We have had an Eden pure for 3 years we had it worked on by a local dealer, which saved us shipping. there are pros and cons to everything, but overall we rate yhe Eden Pure/ Suntwin 1500 very highly, it has saved on electricity, but the things we like best is the even heat ours ru 24/7 and keeps around a 1000 ft. very comfortable. Much safer with kids as it is not hot to touch. Most of all it seems to be a cleaner heat, not so many allergey problems as when using our main heat source.
 2nd of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
The Edenpure service centers are a complete joke. 4 times I've sent our in, and we've owned it for almost 14 months. First two times was warranty (but had to pay $30 shipping each time) second two, out of warranty. It has literally been out of our home more than in. The last time, they dropped unit causing major damage and just sent it anyway and tried to blame UPS even though there is no damage to the packaging.

Do yourselves a favor and buy a Sun Heat...it's been doing all the Edenpure's work with ZERO problems.

Earning More on Your Savings