logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
aolloa.net
No order, communication or updates about my order
2. (5 mins ago)
Sally Beauty Supply
Horrible workers
3. (6 mins ago)
allrightshoes.com
Seller refused to take order back
4. (7 mins ago)

DriveTime Complaints & Reviews - DriveTime preys on people who need help

DriveTime Contacts & Informations

DriveTime

Posted:    Valerie

DriveTime preys on people who need help

I purchased a vehicle from DriveTime in October '06. The people in the showroom were very friendly, really too friendly. I bought a vehicle because I needed one. If I could have purchased the same vehicle new, it would have cost me less. The price I paid for the '01 Ford Focus was a rip-off. The bluebook on the vehicle was $3300 less than what I paid for it. I was told the vehicle had just one previous owner, a little old lady in Sarasota.

Why didn't I listen to the horns and sirens that were going off in my head? I needed a car. The check engine light was on when I started the car to leave. When I said something to a salesman outside, he said not to worry, they go off all the time - OK.

With 1 week, I was driving and the gas pedal wouldn't work. The car didn't have any acceleration. A few feet later the car died, on a busy road. When I called DriveTime and asked for help, they said I had to the Warranty Department. I did and they were closed already for the week. It was 3:20 on a Friday afternoon. When I called the store I purchased the vehicle from, the Sales Manager seemed to know exactly what was wrong - the compressor.

This is real nice, I live in FL, it is hot and humid here 11 months of the year. The salesman wouldn't help me and when I spoke with the manager, I was told someone would contact me back, that was 3 weeks ago. I filed a Lemon Law Complaint with the Better Business Bureau but haven't heard anything yet. When I took this car to a real mechanic, I was told: "The oil hasn't been changed in at least 9000 miles, the tires are bare, the compressor is out (like I needed to know that) and the brakes would go out.

Now, when I spoke with someone from the Warranty Department the following Monday, I was told the oil was changed the week before I purchased it, there were new brakes, there were 2 new tires on the car. I'd really like to know where those 2 new tires are, they're not on the vehicle I have. I thought I was the only one who got the shaft, I didn't realize it was everyone who went in there. Also, this car, according to a vehicle history report I received, not the non-existent one from Experian, this vehicle has been bought, repossessed and resold more times than I had the patience to weed through.

DriveTime preys on people like me, who need help. Yes, they do not give a crap about the vehicle they've sold you. But, if you are late on a payment, you'd better have Caller-ID, they are on you like a fly on you know what.

Good Luck. Hopefully after reading this comments from everyone who has been screwed, you too, will not!
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

18th of Sep, 2007 by   antionett burnett 0 Votes
I have had numerous problems with drivetime from day one. There are so many that I cant talk about them here. But I did have car issues since day 1 and I seemed to have gotten the run around from them on fixing my car. I too was referred to the warranty dept only to get my car looked at and fixed.....only to have my car stop running again. I tried to trade my car in only to find out that no bank would havemy car...because i owe more than the car is worth!!! So i have to put money down PLUS using my car as a trade in. So I feel like im stuck...my car will be paid off next year ( i have had this car since 05)....PLEASE HELP! Im sick of drivetime and their calls 80 times a day everytime im late.....the having to explain to each person I call and each person giving me THEIR REASON about what to do !!!!
 18th of Feb, 2008 by   me me 0 Votes
I just bought a car on the feb 8 2008 and im pissed first this car shakes i ve been through the warranty dept they sent me to there mechanic 3 times 1 they balanced my tires then then it still had same problem so i took it back then they said my rims were bent so they put new rims then it still shook so i took it back then they changed the left front axle still shakes took it back now they wanna put it under diognosis machine i dont no but it seems these mechanic our as crooked as dt and they our working togeth=er my next step is to make a complaint at bettet business bereau.do not go to drive time no matter how good there warranty sounds it aint good.
 17th of Apr, 2008 by   Virginia 0 Votes
I was like the others in need of a vehicle and I have been having problems since i bought my car in March 08. The first day it was shaking so bad i took it in and they fixed it. I am still having problems with it but everytime i talk to the repair department i am told that i have to pay 40 dollars to see what is wrong with it. And then they have to approve it to get fixed... I don't have 40 dollars everytime something goes wrong... Here it is now in April and i still have not tags or license plates. I keep calling and all they keep telling me is they are the DMV. My brother bought a car from Auto City and he got his plates within 2 weeks of buying it. I feel so stupid and just wento some where else... Now i am stuck with a car i hate, and have to pay for 4 years because of my creidt. I think i have learned my lesson and will NEVER EVER buy from DRIVE TIME...
 19th of May, 2008 by   Michelle jackson +1 Votes
this is so true!!! i wish i would've never purchased a car from drivtime. The people are very rud sometimes and the don't try to work with customers!! Hopefully i can find a car with less payment and and less headache and i would never reffer anybody to drive time not even my worst enemy...
 24th of May, 2008 by   DriveTime Employee 0 Votes
I work for this company. We do not prey on anyone. We help customers re establish credit. Our vehicles go through a rigorous inspection. We provide a Warranty on every vehicle. 6month/6, 000 mile. Most Pre owned vehicles dont come with any type of warranty, and if they do, they charge you extra for them. As far as the collectors calling, they call for you own good, to keep your loan on track, to BUILD your credit, not hurt it!
 10th of Jun, 2008 by   Ashley from Tampa -1 Votes
Long story short... Bought a car from DriveTime. Made ALL the Payments on time and paid more than what was due each time. Had the car for 4 months. Car broke down. DriveTime reffered me to Warranty Dept. Warranty Dept Reffered us to a repair shop. Repair shop submitted request to fix. Drivetime denied request. Went back and forth for 2wks while our car was at the shop. Have warranty in black and white stating this problem was covered. Shop said it was 500.00 to fix PLUS I'd better not be late on that weeks payment of nearly 200.00. Voluntarily gave DriveTime back their POS after paying shop 40 fee. Currently getting information together to sue them and guess what...DriveTime has no record of our vehicle ever being in the shop OR having any mechanical problems!!! Oh, and once again they said our car was owned by one little old lady down in Bradenton/Sarasota. Hahahaha DriveTime Employee above... you are sad! Eventually they will be out of business and you will be out of a job! Are you the jerk that sold us this car?
 2nd of Nov, 2008 by   Former DT Sales Manager +1 Votes
I worked for Drivetime for over two years, 90% of the customers couldn't get a loan for a car from anyone else, due to the way they handled their finances in the past. No brag just fact. They pay their their bills according to their own plan, not according to contractual terms. If you are pissed off about the price you paid, that's on you... no one put a gun to your head and forced you to buy! And you must be a total retard thinking the "Lemon Law" applies to a well used car. I bet you said to everyone "I'm not responsible for my stupid decisions, the state and BBB should fix this 'cause I shouldn't be able to make decisions on my own". If DT is the only place you can get approved for a car loan, you have bigger problems than your Ford Focus. Maybe you should fix the financial issues that put you in their showroom first and buy a $1000 junker in the mean time. And as far as the DT employee saying the collector calls are for you own good...who the hell do you think you are talking to, a 4-year old? Buy-here pay-here car sales have very high losses, that's why these folks pay interest rates well over credit card rates and sometimes 4 times or more over standard used car rates. This is why DT trys to get as much cash up front, they plan three-forths of the loans to fail. High price, high down payment, high monthly payments and many calls per day when late.

Good luch to everyone who made a mistake buying from DT and other dealers like them, and congrats to everyone who bought a car and to it to full ownership and enhanced their credit so much they can get a "real car loan". Sorry to be so abrupt but it's reality! I know everyone is not car savvy when the need a car, but find some one with real world knowledge and ask for help. Don't make a 3 or 4 year loan decision lightly! If you want to talk to people like DT and others, go on in but don't take any money, your checkbook or debit card, so you cannot make a decision while you are there. Ask for a copy of the financing contract and warranty to take home and read. They will tell you they can't but the can, it's part of their power out procedures to have blank contracts available should the computer or power go out. Spend $80 buck to have a mechanic go to their lot for a half-hour and check out the vehicle. Don't buy an $8000 paperweight!

One trick to get out of the deal in the first 90 days is the "unwind". Where both parties agree to act as if the deal didn't happen, except DT keeps all monies already paid. If you stop payment or bounce a check on the downpayment.. automatic. Or also in the first 90 days, you can call and say you just lost your job and don't know when you will be able to get another job to retart payments. I guarantee they will let you out of the deal with out it being a repo! Have fun!
 9th of Nov, 2008 by   Candice Harrell 0 Votes
I feel just like everyone else. Drive Time sucks!!! I know so many people who have gotten cars(including myself) and have had to do a voluntary repo because it is way to expensive every two weeks. I loan is period and financing is out of control. Drivetime is a shark and it is a matter of time before they are caught up with. I have learned to slow down and shop around. There a plenty of places that will work with your credit and the financing is better. They are so annoying, they try to threaten people with repo's. They just don't know, most people will gladly let them have it back. Once they tried to say if I bought the car back I would still be responsible for the loan, I wish I would pay for a loan to a car I don't have! I told the annoying you-know-what where they could go. Notice: BEWARE OF DRIVE TIME
 11th of Nov, 2008 by   Certified Medical Biller 0 Votes
Hey dtmanager!

Looking at your response, I can see why people have what appears to be a valid complaint. YOu give the car industry a bad name. I wouldnt buy a car from you or drivetime no matter if you guys paid me to drive one of your cars.
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   MICHAEL 0 Votes
I agree with everyone of these complaints. My hours were cut at work and could barely make mort. payment so I gave my car back which they could have put back out for sale and got their money for it. Instead they sold it at the auction so they say for a third of what I owe and today I get a call from a lawyer in New Jersey saying I have to pay the remaining $8900 or they will garnish my wages. I wonder if they can legally do that, especially a lawyer from Jersey. Wonderif he's on the Florida bar? Now I don't know what to do if they do garnish my wages because I barely make ends meet now. **DO NOT GO TO DRIVTIME!!!THEY WILL SCREW YOU EVERY CHANCE THEY GET!!!
 9th of May, 2009 by   silkymo32 +1 Votes
Well...haven't had too much of a problem. I purch a 2006 Dodge Magnum with alot of miles on it (60, 000) and I have driven the vehicle everywhere without problem. I keep the maintenance (oil, tranny fluid, tire rotation) up to date, and don't use cheap watered down gas like Arco (use Chevron or Mobil regular). The vehicle (for the mileage) has not had any inch of a problem, I have been ahead most of the time on payments (I pay 50-60 more than required bi-weekly & had the car for almost a year now), and was recently laid off.

I used the room I had in which I was ahead and when it was time to start paying again, I worked alot of odd jobs to make the 400/mo payment. I can tell, these people deal with alot of crap...as it shows in their attitude. I would think with my stellar payment history for nearly a year (never more than 9 days late, and when I was it was for 45 dollars) woul warrant a decent attitude.

About two weeks ago, I still owed 45 dollars on my payment which was 9 days late. I get the collection calls, and ignore them because I know I am going to pay it. I then get a notice that they called one of my references. That was a first, and it sucked. I was HOT, and embarassed. For 45.00.

I called the rep who called me, and I could tell she was under pressure to collect as she looked at my account and basically explained that she was told to call by her manager...as I could tell she thought it was pretty pathetic as well.

I paid it, as I had already planned to...yet because of something in the crazy nature such as that (the company being such a vulchure for 45.00 worth of beans) I (most likely) will not be a repeat customer. I actually considered them, and thought about recommending them as a repeat customer.

Not. I will in all liklihood refi at a lower rate somehwere else as my credit score is bumping up with my excellent payment history on my DT loan, and new credit card and loans that I have taken out and never been late on as well.

I am neutral, I guess because it is a "sub"prime company dealing with bad credit...they tend to treat everyone the same.

If you uy a car here. get a GOOD one. Not a Ford. Bad Finance company, Bad reputation cars + a crappy warranty (6, 000 miles & limited at that) = a bad deal.

I am in the market for a warranty to cover me JIC, though I am pretty stellar so far. I recommend treading lightly here. If you dont have much $$$$, dont spend the little you have here.

Get a junker, fix it up and not ruin your credit by hoping the car you would be put in at DT will not break down...yet things like the check engine light are on, etc.

Tread lightly.
 29th of May, 2009 by   Lisa +1 Votes
You know, if this company is so great why doesn't the former DT employee not work there anymore? You can be making your payments on time for over half of the loan agreement, but if you fall behind and ask for help, you are turned on. I hate Drivetime.
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   tango4449 0 Votes
Add me to the list of folks who hate DT. I admit I'm not a money-smart person, but I'm not stupid either. When I went into DT for the first time I'd been car-less for over a year because my beloved old car died and I didn't think I could afford a new one (well, used, but new). I told the sales guy I could pay about $200 a month. After about 3 hours of listening to endless details about the DT plan and documents my mind was numb. The guy said there wasn't anything under $400 a month available, so I recalculated my resources and decided I could manage it. The two big enticements were cleaning up my credit and finally being able to get around without depending on other people. Several months later, when I began to feel the burden, I looked at the contract again. I'm paying $17, 000 for a $5, 000 car! AND...it wasn't all that it appeared to be when I bought it. They gave me a key with a remote door-opener. When I got the car home and tried it, it didn't work. Called DT and they said it must need a battery. That didn't help, so then DT said take it to a Ford dealer to reset the mechanism. The Ford dealer discovered the car wasn't even wired for remote opening. DT's response was: Well, the remote must've belonged to a different car. Sorry. AND I didn't test the stereo system, and in my mind-boggled state I didn't notice there was no CD player. AND I found out later that the cigarette lighter isn't wired either, so my car charger doesn't work. I feel violated.
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   SuperVepr 0 Votes
Nothing good can come from frequenting these places. They make their money by raping people that believe they need a car NOW. Don't do it. Take the bus, hitch a ride, etc until you save up the money to buy a car from a real dealership.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   DT is not so bad 0 Votes
Hi,

I work at driveTime and here is the truth. We put an average of $2000 into each car before it even makes it to the lot and then we back it up with a 6 month, 6000 mile warranty. We give you the history of the vehicle and report to all the 3 credit bureaus. Well, you ask so whats the big deal. Well, here it is. I am a sales person and I do my best to get customers into a car because everyone needs a second chance. You have to understand that customers come in and most have a FICO score of 480 or less. yes, you heard me right. When we pull the credit report, there are pages and pages of Collection and charge off accounts. I have seen a customer with 27 different companies that have done business with the customer and they have not paid a single person. Not even 1. Not 1 current account. You have to understand that credit history shows how you have paid back your debt to all the companies you have done business with. Most of Drivetimes customers cannot get financed any where else but Drivetime takes a chance anyway. It is a chance to get a quality vehicle and repair your credit. yes, the interest rate is high and the price of the car is more than some other dealerships. But it is an opportunity to turn your life around. At the end of the day, it is a used car and when the warranty runs out, it is your responsibity to maintain and fix the car and make the car payment. It is not a Drivetime thing but it is the same no matter what car company you go to. Even with the opportunity, most our DT customer miss payments, default and make the employees lifes miserable. We give you a chance but since you have never been taught about credit and paying back your debt, you fall into the same issues as before. No company is perfect and there are issues with some cars but overall the company does provide an excellent service. If you dont see that, you will continue the same behavior and remain below a sub prime customer. The choice is yours.
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   DT is not so bad 0 Votes
Nice comments. but what abou the other 40, 000 customers that are satisfied. where is their story.
 4th of Aug, 2009 by   Orwell 0 Votes
wow DT employees sound a bit more righteous than thou!
ive had great credit, crappy credit, built it back to great, have had mortg, c.c., car loans, pay offs, repos, been on each end of the financial spectrum & was actually considering a DT vehicle but not so much after all the roasting online! no matter how bad i run my credit to the ground i have dignity & pride! i would never let anyone speak to me as a child in a repremanding demenor! regardless of how i choose to live, people stand your ground! if companies like DT continue to charge outrageous fees, interest & treat you like crap, stand your ground! if we stand united and against then companies wouldnt charge "subprime" creditees the way they do!
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   tigerinfla 0 Votes
lemon law not just for new cars. exceptions for used depending on status/warranty. do not buy as is.. Impossible to recoup anything.
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   tigerinfla 0 Votes
considering buying from DT...where are the positive remarks?
 12th of Aug, 2009 by   silkymo32 0 Votes
My experience with DT is notated as above. Not bad, but because they are a sub-prime lender, dont expect treatment as if you were at Mercedes Benz of Newport Beach.

I am still on time/ahead and have repaired (used various facets of law to remove many negartives off credit reports, opened new secured loans/secured credit card) credit, and will look elswhere once it is time to purchase another vehicle.

Use DT, do not allow DT to use you.

Top 5 Holiday Scams