logo

Tianshi/Tiens
Is product really working
5. (1 hr 18 mins ago)
Panasonic Viera LCD TV TH-L32C3 BUNDLE
Item paid but later declared out of stock and then refused to issue an immediate full refund

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Dragon Naturally Speaking

Posted: 2011-07-02 by    mm120

Commercial too long

Dragon Naturally Speaking
I watch The Science Channel quite often, every single day. I work late hours and usually catch re-runs of shows I missed, and see a lot of commercials for Science Channel shows. I don't mind those. What I DO mind is the seemingly never ending Dragon Naturally Speaking Speech Recognition software commercials. I get annoyed from the first SIGHT of that commercial. They keep talking and and talking and talking, about the SAME. DAMN. THING. I have NEVER been so annoyed that I'd look up somewhere to complain about a commercial before, until this.

Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Dragon Naturally Speaking complaints
Dragon Naturally Speaking - Non receipt of goods

Comments

29th of Jul, 2011 by   kvetch +1 Votes
Hahaha! I came here for the same reason! It takes up a whole commercial break! The other thing that annoys the hell out of me is this recent cinematographic technique where they have a second camera filming the kid talking to the first camera. This commercial does exactly that. I don't even know why people would want this software anyway. You have to speak so slowly for it to understand that it's faster to just type. Add to that the fact that it gets homonyms wrong half the time (its/it's, there/their/they're, etc.) and it's easy to see how quickly Western civilization is heading down the drain.
 3rd of Aug, 2011 by   SSSRIVASAN 0 Votes
I have installed DNS in 2systems i have formatted one of the system recently, when i start to install the DNS sftware the formatted sys displaying the error i.e., Number of allowable activation's has been exceeded.
Please advise me to rectify this ERROR.
 17th of Aug, 2011 by   SuperDupper 0 Votes
I've actually had to change the channel just to avoid seeing this extremely long and annoying commercial. I too have never posted online like this but this just made me snap to do so. I was originally impressed with their software, but this commercial actually made me not want to continue using it.
 23rd of Oct, 2011 by   PRAY_4_WAR 0 Votes
I was going to buy it, but after those commercials...NEVER! With no dought some of my money would be used to make more terrible commercials. If I ever saw that douche bottle who speaks first in those commercials, I'd split his head wide open.
 26th of Oct, 2011 by   Moses Alajajian 0 Votes
You know how I found this blog? By doing a google search with the following query: "Why are dragon commercials so annoying?"
And yes--somebody ought to tell the Science channel that if they continue airing 30-min long Dragon commercials, they will definitely start losing viewership.
As a matter of fact, every time I see one of those commercials come on, I immediately flip to the National Geographic channel, or the Discovery channel. I'd rather not watch the uber-interesting story of the Universe if it means I have to sit through numerous iterations of the same INFOMERCIAL!...
 26th of Oct, 2011 by   Moses Alajajian 0 Votes
I encourage anyone who is annoyed to post a comment/feedback with the Discovery channel network's corporate offices (Yes, the Science Channel is one of their subsidiaries) :)

**The following address is where you can find the form. Attached is an example from yours truly.

4th of Nov, 2011 by   pills 0 Votes
lol ive never actually tried to find somewhere to complain about a company but man those commercials are brutal. i get so pissed off and change the channel every time i see one i totally agree with you guys they need to stop... id probably hurt the main dude so bad if i ever saw him
 9th of Nov, 2011 by   Scarabrae 0 Votes
I have this wonderful option on my remote that I use for EVERY annoying commercial on television. The mute button! Commercials are much less annoying if you don't actually hear the nonsense they are spouting. If it's a long commercial, I also use my "last channel watched" button to jump to another channel, or take a moment to play with the dog, clean my fingernails, or something else more important than watching a frelling commercial. Those who have watched Farscape will get the last reference. Anyway, try your mute button. And try telling the company being advertised that you are muting their commercials; if they hear that from enough people, they may get the message. Even if they don't care if we're annoyed, if we're NOT EVEN LISTENING! Well, really . . .
 25th of Nov, 2011 by   balooga 0 Votes
@icu2: The point is not that Dragon Software is an advertisement that Discovery Networks sells in order to bring us programming. Everyone KNOWS that's why these companies are in business. The point is that Discovery Networks has quite literally become a near full-time informercial for Dragon Software, and that they've cheapened and lessened the value of their own programming by expecting viewers to sit 15 minutes out of every 1 hour period listening to this cockamamy Dragon "story." It's simply not worth it. So we change the channel to maybe an A&E network, or TCM, or PBS, and not because they necessarily have better programming, and not because they don't necessarily have commercials. It is because they don't run 5-minute long Dragon software commercials. Discovery should be made aware that their viewers are super irked and are changing the channel because of this one commercial alone.
 25th of Nov, 2011 by   Scarabrae 0 Votes
This is true. If they start losing their audience, they will also lose advertising revenue because advertisers want to place on the most popular programs they can afford. Discovery will know early on when their viewer numbers drop, but if they know, for a fact, WHAT is sending their viewers channel surfing, they will soon be taking steps to correct that. Dragon is certainly not their only advertiser. I think I will just drift on over to Discovery.com, click on CONTACT US, and tell them how people are feeling. Since I am only one voice, I will suggest that they "drift on over" to this site. I will give them the exact address that is now on my navigation bar, and they can see for themselves "what's up, doc". Call it a "public service announcement" on behalf of the audience.
 25th of Nov, 2011 by   Scarabrae -1 Votes
Still, like chicken soup for colds, "it couldn't hurt",
 26th of Nov, 2011 by   Ellen67 0 Votes
Really? They should starve because you can't watch another show on WW2? maybe his family would tell you to shoot yourself. Have some perspective, man...
 28th of Nov, 2011 by   balooga 0 Votes
@The Fact Police: Actually, you are very incorrect in stating Discovery Networks only show these near-infomercials on off-peak hours.

@Scarabrae: Good idea.
 4th of Dec, 2011 by   sekats 0 Votes
To make a commercial that long must mean that the producers think that viewers are as slow as they are. Evidently the software is for dummies. Congrats dragon for helping dumb down society. Maybe you should watch an hour long instructional video that'll show you how to make a 30sec commercial.
 7th of Dec, 2011 by   balooga 0 Votes
@The Fact Police: Irrelevant? I guess talk to the hand; you brought it up.
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   balooga +2 Votes
@ The Fact Police: Not interested.
 14th of Dec, 2011 by   wauzoo 0 Votes
When the commercial started, I fired up the computer, googled "Annoying Dragon Commercials" and found this, read quite a few comments, I'm now typing this sentence and the commercial is STILL ON. It's on sci fi, discovery, history - all over. It's so very annoying. Hopefully it'll dumb down after the Holidays - doubt it. I just cringe when it comes on. Sometimes I can't find the remote when it comes on and lose it, kick the dog, throw something, break it - this commercial is effecting my mental health.

I feel better - got to complain about it also.
 14th of Dec, 2011 by   MidnightMoses 0 Votes
The Dragon mini-infomercial is FIVE EFFING MINUTES LONG!!! And YES, I think that the company DESERVES to FAIL if it annoys its prospective client base to the point they a) mute the audio b) change channels and c) do not buy the product because the commercial annoys the bejeezus out of them!

And the endless repetition of the pitch just shows how LITTLE they think of the Windows users intelligence. Such disdain deserves to be rewarded with abject failure.

And maybe, just MAYBE, they could lower the price of the Mac version if they didn't have to pay for massive saturation media buys.

Oh, wait...that would be LOGICAL...and apparently LOGIC has NO place in the American marketplace any more.

BOYCOTT THIS PRODUCT!
 16th of Dec, 2011 by   balooga 0 Votes
@ The Fact Police: Sure, will do (NOT).

Anyway... another option for those interested is to post/complain on Facebook for the Science, Military and Discovery Networks pages. And of course the Dragon page as well.
 17th of Dec, 2011 by   YoYoDev 0 Votes
DRAGON...your commercial is so damn annoying!!! I will never ever buy this software for that reason, in fact I will encourage people to hate on it. I HATE DRAGON!!! Next time you setup a commercial sit and watch your own shit a couple times and im sure you would agree with the rest of the world right before you take a screw driver to your temple.

Consumer Fraud in Health Care