logo

Projects Abroad
No adult supervision!
3. (43 mins ago)
Booking.com
never give your credit card details to booking.com
4. (1 hr 7 mins ago)
EXACTUS INFOTECH SOLUTION PVT LTD
Fraud placement service
5. (1 hr 24 mins ago)
Oneplan Medical Insurance
Not authorizing my sons operation

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Dog Ear/Authorhouse Publishing, Indiana Complaints & Reviews - Ripoff is underestamating

Dog Ear/Authorhouse Publishing Contacts & Informations

Dog Ear/Authorhouse Publishing

Posted:    Adeomus

Ripoff is underestamating

Dog Ear/Authorhouse Publishing
Indiana
Sadly I feel good to see I am not alone here!

I work very hard to write about my life to give hope to others, to find out that my editor and Dog Ear publishing have decided to contract between each other and not to tell me about it. the package I picked did included advertisement, naturally after (thank god) a short time with help of friend I found out about the contract, that was signed with out me been included.

Well, I put stop on production, since I am the only person with the copy right, but I still see my book been sold as new after even the publisher received a letter from attorney to stop any production of any kind!

According to Dog Ear my book did not sale at all, yet I see places in the web having my book in a new condition for sale such as amazon and Barns and the numbers I got from Dog Ears do not match!

I am shock to see it and wonder what is the meaning of copyright?

How many new book must be sold to call it infringement?
Why none of us authors has ever done anything about it, or is there anything we can do to stop them at all?
Personally I can not pay for the attorney fee, however I am determined to put stop on this and living in my car to save my rent (as little as it might be) money and pay a visit to one!

Lightning Source and Ingram are in to this and they are the one I am going after.

Comments United States Phishing
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of May, 2009 by   E Drew +1 Votes
I am 70 and after paying for my book to be published in four months doing all the hard work, paying out the first price quoted by Authorhouse
I then spent to have my work line read, I then re placed all the pics, then get told I must pay them yet more for work on getting my book ready, for printing and again for work to undo the mess they have made of my book that was ready in the first place.
So some 7 months later I still have not got my book and all they have managed to do is put a fin white line around my covers wording.
Full marks Authorhouse I to can press a format button at 70, so unpress it and come up with my book.
 31st of Dec, 2009 by   Angee27 0 Votes
Keep searching for law suits against Authorhouse, I was published in 2005, had loads of troubles and expenses, every reprint, they'd change something else, re format or test size, and I have been reading other publishers have had major word changes done to theirs... now I see my book advertised on 6 different bookstores, in India and Japan..., different languages... I never said ok to that. Do not trust Authorhouse to put their best effort out for you.

I am gathering with other authors that have law suites pending against them, we must join forces, as like people gather, and power in numbers,

plainandsimples@live.ca

Angee
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   no1blondemama +1 Votes
I got an email from them that had my friends name in the email title as if she had referred this to me. She knew nothing about it. So Im hoping they don't do anything weird with my debt card info! Apparently it took a phishing scam to send me their emails... yikes!
 17th of Feb, 2010 by   no1blondemama +1 Votes
Also; sent them one of my poems before I realized this was not a good idea... looks like that one is not going to be mine anymore from what you all have said!
 6th of Mar, 2010 by   G barton +1 Votes
Can someone tell me how we can know exactly how may copies of my books maybe sold through authorhouse? I am not sure if I am being cheated on. The info on sales is just not transparent enough andalthough they have promised me that they are honest, am notureif thy can be trusted. It is ashame that the ituation is like this. Is there like the freedom of information act that can beused or anything to know thetue figurs of sales?
 8th of Mar, 2010 by   JustJoe2325 0 Votes
AuthorHouse does a good job at what they do. Yeah it sucks that you had to pay extra fees EDrew, but maybe you should have read the fine print.

AuthorHouse is self-publishing, not a traditional publisher. You are responisible for your work. If you want the extra services they offer then you have to pay for it. Otherwise, figure out what to do on your own.

You pay them a flat rate to print and sell your book. If you wanted them to edit, design, read and comment on your book, then you either pay them, or go to a traditional publisher, but good luck with that. Most traditional publishers don't publish poorly written books.
 8th of Mar, 2010 by   Adeomus69 +1 Votes
A Poor written book will not go well with any publisher either traditional publisher nor vanity publisher!
That by itself shows how low AuthorHouse is, that they are willing to do any job to gain some money!
 11th of Mar, 2010 by   JustJoe2325 +1 Votes
Adeomus69, do you even know how self-publishing works? Self-Publishing companies cannot legally alter or change a manuscript of an author without written consent. AuthorHouse, which is a self-publisher, is not going to edit manuscripts for free. Would you want to do it for free?

Maybe you should get a dictionary and read the definition of the word "self" and realize that it is the author's responsibility, not AuthorHouse, to fix the manuscript. If you want AuthorHouse to make the changes, then pay the fees.
 11th of Mar, 2010 by   Adeomus6969 +1 Votes
I would be very careful; insulting one would show only your poor attitude. This is the place for people to complain, not to defend their employers. There must be a truth to all the complaints about AuthorHouse, all you need is to google it. Maybe you are the one in need to use the dictionary to find out what is the meaning of complain.I know exactly how they work and what law they break, I also know they are not giving out exact number for sold copy.It is not just Authour house, Lolo, Iunivers, Xlibris, and much more . They all have few packages to choose from, all advertisings and PR are absolutely on the author it self, no matter even if it was paid for.
Sorry love to chad, but since you are not the one I will face in court, and this is over your head to begin with have all the fun. I am going to make a valuable lesson out of your employer to all other selfpublishing Inc. By law.
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   lynn thomas +1 Votes
Just an FYI, Adeomus, but your initial complaint has horrific typos throughout, as do all your subsequent e-mail messages. This is not mean to insult, but you must be careful with how you type because it effects how seriously you are taken to the reader. Good luck to you and thanks for the heads-up about scam self-publishing companies.
 15th of Apr, 2010 by   Magsusulat 0 Votes
Are this accusation really true? I signed a contract at authorhouse last month to publish my children's book. I'm a published author in the Philippines. I published hundreds of books down there but since I migrated here in USA publishers considered me as a new author.
I would feel so frustrated if authorhouse is really a scam because every penny that I paid to them is very valuable to me. It's difficult to earn money nowadays I want to make sure that my money won't be wasted. I worked every day lifting heavy loads to make a living. It is so painful to know that I'm dealing with the wrong people. Can any one give me their contact number to prove that their complains are genuine and not fabricated?
Thank you so much!
Concerned author
 25th of May, 2010 by   Dwain Powers williams +1 Votes
My name is Dwain Powers williams. My book is called a possible ailment vs. a defiance of the judicial system. My book ISBN: 1418417750 and 1418417734, Author House appear to have lost control of the publishing industry. Under the office of the Indiana Attorney General office file number10-CP-52197. Allison Wolfe letters written to me on May 18, 2010 feels that our problems with each other may be a breach of contract or breach of warranty. You may abtain your own letter by contacting the Attorney General office. My book is currently being sold under Shelley Powers name also. Author house stated in writing that they are not affiliated or know a Shelley Powers. everyone whom have a computor could see these facts to be undisputable even by the pubisher. If any item in the public is sold or distributed under fales pretence then it is fraud and it is deception. Why does Shelley Powers good name has to be dragged through the mud for someone else benefit. She appears to be too popular to get involve in this type of scam. In additial, the public have to be protected from a scam of saying she wrote my book. If the same book is being sold under two authors' name with the same ISBN, then that is out right fraudand deception. It should show evidence that Author House is not in control of its industry. under some web sites and book stores, Shelley Powers name is over my book, and it has Author House as the publisher and that is an undisputable fact. look it up for your self.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   A.M.K/ +1 Votes
I feel a little anxious after reading the amount of complaints against Authorhouse, I printed/published with them in September 2009 and find the accusations of book sales theft alarming, although I personally feel disappointed with the results in sales of my own book I must confess that I am satisfied with the printing side of the agreement, I got involved and even used the image from one of my own paintings for the front cover and although there is always room for improvement the over all books image is a positive one, my humble suggestion to those who wish to sell copies of their publications to friends and/or colleagues is buy copies at a reduced price direct from the person dealing with your books print and progress and sell them on personally. Any way thanks for your attention and all the best, Anna-Maria Karaolis author of 'Their Own Skeletons'.
 19th of Aug, 2010 by   Just_Because 0 Votes
Whether or not your complaints are true, I would just like to complain about your complaint. You spend all your time writing about your life (I sure hope it's one heck of a life to be worth publishing; face the truth, you need to have the life of James Bond or Anne Frank to really be able to sell it) and yet you can not proofread your own comment? 'my book did not sale at all', 'I am determined to put stop on this', 'I still see my book been sold as new'. I'm not even going to highlight the grammar errors. Please, if you wish to be taken seriously (especially if you claim to be a writer), write like your a viable source for information.
 24th of Aug, 2010 by   Dwain Powers williams 0 Votes
A comment to the person who spoke about grammar errors or proof reading. No one is born perfect. that is the wonderful process of life. we all have a chance to be imperfect and to learn. You are under the illusion that you were born perfect. The human mind has so much more potential than what you are willing to use. You have shown your ignorance to the world by your petty comments on grammor or proof reading.

To your un evolve sense of your purpose toward humanity, we all are born unique. none of us were born to see all of our mistakes in life. We need people like you to point them out. The person whom you criticized may know how to completely take apart a car engine or conduct his own operation on his own head by removing a knot on youtube under Dwain Williams. I did not go to medical school and I use tools came from a hardware store. I may not know how to spell, know how to use grammor, or know how to proof read, but I am intelligent enough to recognize the genie of being imperfect and making an attempt at trying. Some people never make an attempt at trying.

You should be a shame for improperly using your intelligence. No one should be criticised for making an attempt at using our human spirit at succeeding. The person who is begging for a hand out should be criticised by you. when you realize how to use your mind properly, they you will have realized that it is impossible to know everything!
 1st of Sep, 2010 by   Mick Lestrade 0 Votes
AuthorHouse is so inefficient that after two and a half month, I still haven't gotten any answer to any of my simple questions. The only thing they are really good at, is getting your money.
 1st of Sep, 2010 by   Mick Lestrade 0 Votes
The only thing they are really good at, is getting you money.
 26th of Oct, 2010 by   dave2010 +1 Votes
I HAVE NOT PUBLISHED ANY BOOKS YET BUT I HAVE 3 MANUSCRIPTS THAT ARE EDITED, FULLY ILLUSTRATED AND COMPLETE. I HAVE BEEN DOING LOTS OF HOMEWORK REGARDING LITERARY AGENTS, PUBLISHERS, POD, ETC. I'M DISCOVERNG THAT IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME IN AT SUBMITTING YOUR WORK THEN A LITERARY AGENT IS PARAMOUNT! DO NOT PAY ANYONE ANY MONEY FOR ANYTHNG! NOTHING! IF YOUR MATERIAL IS GOOD ENOUGH THEN IT WILL SELL ITSELF AND PUBLISHERS WILL SEE ITS WORTH AND BE WILLING TO PAY YOU FOR IT. GO TO REBECCA BRADEWYNE'S WEBSITE SHE IS ON THE NEW YOORK TIMES BEST SELLER'S LIST AND SHE WARNS WRITERS OF THE OUTRAGEOUS DISGRACEFUL THINGS THAT ARE BENG DONE TO AUTHORS TODAY. IT WOULD BEHOOVE YOU TO TAKE HEAD TO WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN HERE SO THAT YOU TOO WILL NOT BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE. A WISE WRITER ONCE SAID "KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE CLOUDS BUT KEEP YOUR FEET PLANTED FIRMLY ON THE GROUND" REGARDING THIS WHOLE PUBLISHING FIASCO. BE CAREFULL MY FRIENS .. DO RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RIPOFFREPORT.COM, BBB, AND MORE RESEARCH BUT WHATEVER YOU DO SAFEGAURD YOUR WALLETS!!!
DARRELL A. WILLIS SR.
dwillissr@gmail.com
 26th of Oct, 2010 by   dave2010 0 Votes
I HAVE NOT PUBLISHED ANY BOOKS YET BUT I HAVE 3 MANUSCRIPTS THAT ARE EDITED, FULLY ILLUSTRATED AND COMPLETE. I HAVE BEEN DOING LOTS OF HOMEWORK REGARDING LITERARY AGENTS, PUBLISHERS, POD, ETC. I'M DISCOVERNG THAT IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME IN AT SUBMITTING YOUR WORK THEN A LITERARY AGENT IS PARAMOUNT! DO NOT PAY ANYONE ANY MONEY FOR ANYTHNG! NOTHING! IF YOUR MATERIAL IS GOOD ENOUGH THEN IT WILL SELL ITSELF AND PUBLISHERS WILL SEE ITS WORTH AND BE WILLING TO PAY YOU FOR IT. GO TO REBECCA BRADEWYNE'S WEBSITE SHE IS ON THE NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER'S LIST AND SHE WARNS WRITERS OF THE OUTRAGEOUS DISGRACEFUL THINGS THAT ARE BENG DONE TO AUTHORS TODAY. IT WOULD BEHOOVE YOU TO TAKE HEAD TO WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN HERE SO THAT YOU TOO WILL NOT BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE. A WISE WRITER ONCE SAID "KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE CLOUDS BUT KEEP YOUR FEET PLANTED FIRMLY ON THE GROUND" REGARDING THIS WHOLE PUBLISHING FIASCO. BE CAREFULL MY FRIENDS .. DO RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RIPOFFREPORT.COM, BBB, AND MORE RESEARCH BUT WHATEVER YOU DO SAFEGAURD YOUR WALLETS!!!
DARRELL A. WILLIS SR.
dwillissr@gmail.com
 4th of Nov, 2010 by   raison1234 0 Votes
I work in the book and magazine market for 20 years. My work was never lifted by anyone. If you want a life in publishing start small get some writing credits with your local newspaper. Write about what you know. With fiction the Universities have small publications you can get published in. You do it for credits.
The agents will do a catch 22 on you. If you have no credits they aren't interested. If you have one book under your belt they will come to you.
I have contributor credits in 28 books, over 1, 000 magazine articles and have two screenplays I am working on. If you have a book file a copywrite on it other wise you will have to pay a lawyer. If you have a lawyer ask about there no pay if theres a copywrite on it.

All books are printed in the same place. To print your own book it will run you about $3.50 for 500 copies. If you need a editor, if you cant sell your book on your own, then a place like dogear is a good place. I strongly advise filing copywrite protection in Washington DC.

May the force be with you.

FBI Raid on Foreclosure Scam Artists