logo

Terrible Business

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Diversified Collection Services, Livermore, California Complaints & Reviews - Abusive and deceitful collection

Diversified Collection Services Contacts & Informations

Diversified Collection Services

Posted:    Valerie

Abusive and deceitful collection

Diversified Collection Services
333 North Canyons Parkway
Livermore, California
I have been having problems with Alice Truman concerning a student loan my daughter fell behind on. Ms. Truman coerced her into signing a contract to pay 50.00 a month to prevent her taxes from being offset. Her taxes are being offset anyway. I am on the account as daughter's representative as she cannot afford a home phone and cannot accept personal calls at her job.

Ms. Truman refuses to talk to me, claiming I am harassing her by calling and requesting copies of the contract, particularly the part where the paperwork I have states that any further collection attempts would be halted. It does not mention the fact that her tax refund would be witheld regardless. She then phoned my daughter AT WORK again, after being informed several times that this was not allowed and threatened to have "her mother" jailed if I did not quit phoning the company.

If I am on the account as a representative do I not have the right to call this person?

By the way...the paperwork has never arrived, surprise surprise.

I have contacted the FTC and the BBB concerning this company's and Ms. Truman's actions.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

11th of Sep, 2008 by   Sonia-in-portland +1 Votes
I am sorry to hear about your negative experience with DCS. In the beginning, I too, had major problems with DCS. The rep called me everyday on both phones and also failed to mail me any paperwork regarding my student loan. I gave up on them and stopped attempting to repair my defaulted student loan. I had to change my cell phone # because they called so much.

Then a few months later (in May 08), I called their 800# and asked about doing a loan rehabilitation. it was like I said the magic phrase. I was transferred to a rep named Linda James who told me all about loan rehab and how it will remove any negative things off your credit report, etc. They calculated my monthly pymts to be $220/mo for 9 months. She mailed me my paperwork right away and has been very nice everytime I've called her. The daily phone calls stopped and the mail correspondence stopped. I simply call her once a month to make my pymt over the phone. I've made 5 so far. 4 more pymts and my loan will no longer be in default status.

Because of DCS (and rep Linda James), I finally feel very good about the status of my credit and my student loan. I am happy this rep informed me of all my options and even advised me on which was quicker, cheaper, worse, etc.

Maybe you shd call the DCS manager (Dan Pena, 800-927-7667 x3516) and ask for a different "account manager" or rep. It might just make the difference.

Sincerely,
Sonia B in Portland, OR.
 29th of Sep, 2008 by   Mary +2 Votes
Looks like someone who works for DCS wrote this reply. It isn't realistic at all.
 3rd of Jan, 2009 by   ML3 +1 Votes
I agree with Mr. Clay. These people can be very ruthless and evil. They strictly follow the script line and if you began to challenge them, immediately they will say, are you refusing to pay. My daughter also felled behind on her student loan and it was referred to DCS. Scott Ramon began making harrassing phone calls to our church trying to get information about my daughter and myself, but was unsuccessful. This went on for about two weeks, until my daughter stated to him that he was in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, because she had verbally told him to quit making harrassing phone calls to the church. He then lied and stated that she used that number as a reference.

She let him know once she receive something in writing, then she will work out payment arrangements, what she can afford to pay. He wanted to force her into making over $300 a month. He's trying his best to get us to say we are refusing to pay, the conversation ends w/ out responding to him and hanging up. My daughter will following-up w/ a certified/return receipt letter to the company to cease communication, unless in writing.

She will also contact the FTC. The best thing is to know your rights.
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   AmbrosiaTatum +1 Votes
The tactics in which collectors from DCS use to attain information and payments are deceptive.I have looked up Diversified Collection Services and have found several lawsuits, which they lost, pertaining to the Fair debt Collections Practice Act. I have also researched their lobbying expenditures to the government agencies to be able to collect these debts. I also found they were indicted for illegal political contributions to government officials. I found the transcript of Jon D. Shaver, Chief Operating Officer of Diversified Collection Services testimony before the House Committee on Ways and Means to convince the government to allow them to collect these debts. From all this information DCS does not shine in a good light.

My great-grandfather received a phone call from a Ryan Stephens at number 888-310-2006 ext 3658. When my great-grandfather answered he claimed he was from the Treasury Department. LIE! he then threatened this 90 year-old WWII veteran that they were going to take money from him. He asked if it pertained to an issue that we are going through with the Veterans Affairs, and he rudely exclaimed it is not a VA problem it is a Treasury problem now. The thing with the VA is they said he qualified for benefits and after several years they then said he did not and that he had to pay all the monies back. He lost a lot of hearing in the war and should qualify for something but they will not assist us. We contacted our Congressmen about the abusive and harassing phone calls and they are helping to resolve the issue with the VA. But, if this company is trying to collect for the VA then they are breaking the FDCPA after being told not to contact my great-grandfather and to instead contact the Congressmen.

I am very upset that a 90 year-old WWII Vet would be treated with such disrespect.

If anyone would like help in getting info about this company for a lawsuit contact me I will try to help.

ambrosiatatum81@aol.com
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   cbryant 0 Votes
They were doing the samething to me. Calling me at work and some how got my cell number. I told them that I would be able to give them 75 dollars a month but they said I had to pay over 600 dollars of a thirteen hundred dollar balance owed to the Department of Defense. When I told them about Georgia State Laws on collecting a debt they ceased all calling. I even had to go as far as to have my Lawyer send a notice to them letting them know that they were being sued. I repeatedly asked for them to mail me a copy of there paperwork on the debt I owed and there reply was we have already sent seven of them out. That was back in 2007 and I still to this day have not received a letter. Now my tax refund has been offset and DCS is still collecting on a garnishment that they have put on me. I have payed my debt off and they are refusing to admit to there faults. They are ruthless self rightous "A" holes that get there jollies off from making people suffer and they do not carre what happens. I am filling another Lawsuit against them but this one is for fruad, neglect, pain and suffering, and also loss of wages.
 15th of Feb, 2009 by   Brandon 0 Votes
I've had a better experience with DCS. The did a little harassment at first, trying to get me to pay large down payments when I clearly stated I did not have the money for it. After I told them that I'd just have to let the debt sit and go to court for garnishment, they seemed to be a lot more interested in getting any kind of money out of me. They offered to waive the down payment and put me into a loan rehabilitation program. This program may only apply to student loans, but I am unsure of that matter. I have currently been paying every month without incident through a checking account, with DCS sending me a paper statement every month informing me of my current debt and that they will be withdrawing funds from my account. They told me after 9 months, my load will be out of default status and almost $900 of fines and fees will be dropped. My representative's name was Natalie Hall and she was very courteous and helpful. If you're having problems, I would suggest trying to switch representatives.
 14th of Apr, 2009 by   anonymous 0 Votes
DIVERSIFIED COLLECTION SERVICES, INC.
333 N CANYON PKWY STE 100
LIVERMORE, CA 94551-9480

Agent for Service of Process
C T CORPORATION SYSTEM
818 W 7TH ST
LOS ANGELES, CA 90017-3407

===========

There is abundant evidence of the use of abusive, deceptive, and unfair debt collection practices by your debt collection organization. Already, you have failed to provide me with the disclosure required of you pursuant to § 809(a) of the FDCPA. Instead you opted to contact a third party without my prior written consent, in violation of § 805(b), as that third party was not myself, my attorney, a consumer reporting agency, the creditor, the attorney of the creditor, nor your attorney. I assure you if such violations persist I will not hesitate to pursue a FDCPA lawsuit against you.

WRITTEN NOTICE OF DISPUTE

You are hereby notified under § 809(b) that the alleged debt, and any portion thereof, is disputed. Further, I am requesting that you fully validate this alleged debt and provide me with a full accounting of your debt validation due diligence, a copy of any applicable judgment, a copy of the original agreement, bearing my handwritten signature, which indicates my consent to the alleged debt, and the name and address of the original creditor.

WRITTEN NOTICE TO CEASE AND DESIST

You are hereby notified under § 805(c) that I refuse to pay the allege debt and demand that you cease to, or attempt to, initiate any further communication with me. You shall not communicate with me further, except --
1. to advise me that further efforts are being terminated;
2. to notify me that you may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by your organization; or
3. to notify me that you intend to invoke a specified remedy, if applicable.

I request that communication permitted under § 805(c) be made in writing.
 16th of Apr, 2009 by   frustrated 0 Votes
I am having an absolute horrifying experience with DCS right now. They repeatedly tell me that they need a "good faith" down payment in order to set up a monthly payment plan with me. I have advised them several times that, at this moment, I cannot make the "good faith" downpayment however, in "good faith" I would give them my banking information and not only will I make one monthly payment, I will make two. I have used the term 'loan rehabilition' and they advised me that per the collection agreement with their client, this is not an option. Does anyone know if that's correct?

Also, while on the phone with the representative, she constantly asked me to hold while she discussed any other offers with her "manager". It seems to me that she was immediately able to get a manager and within 5 minutes would be back on the phone. When I requested to speak with a manager, I was on hold for at least 10 minutes before a manager came on the line. The manager was of no more help to me other than offering the name of a website where I can try to get a loan to pay off this loan. (Ive told them repeatedly my credit will not allow me to get any other type of loan). I had asked this manager if my case could be re-assigned to another representative. He informed me that it could not be re-assigned and if I didn't continue to contact the rep I was assigned they would indicate my file "Refusal to pay". I am absolutely not refusing to pay. I told them I'd pay them $100 every 2 weeks and they could directly debit it from my bank account (my pay dates). When I advised the manager that I really wanted to resolve this however I couldn't make the down payment he said to me, "Oh yeah, you want to resolve this? Where were you the last year? Now you know you HAVE to do something so thats why you want to resolve it"

Within the past 2 days they have told me a numerous amount of times that TODAY my account was going up for review and they will proceed with involuntary collection if I do not pay in full or make the "good faith" down payment. How could they proceed with INVOLUNTARY collection if i'm volunteering to pay each month? I'm frustrated and at wits end. Does anyone have any advice?
 20th of Apr, 2009 by   joe 0 Votes
They keel calling my father and I as well about some claim for someone under our shared name living in Virginia - neither of us have ever lived in VA. Incoming number is (209) 858-3711
 23rd of Apr, 2009 by   rwb 0 Votes
They called my cell phone while I was at work and made threats that my case was "under review" in 2 days.
I do have an outstanding student loan but not in the $3, 000 range their quoting. The lady on the phone said
if I didn't send her $500 right away they would start garnishment proceedings immediately. My wife lost
her job and we have two kids so I don't have that kind of money. It's good to know that their scumbags who
aren't invincible!
 25th of Apr, 2009 by   Carrie Evers 0 Votes
I have to agree. They telephoned me to state that I was going to have my wages garnished until the debt was paid off. I am also upset with AES because my son is still in college but when he sat out a semester (in Jan instead of summer) they immediately put in in status of not going to school. Then when he found out about the punishment, AES sent paperwork for the school to fill out. The school denied the request by him and would not fill out the paperwork. Then when we went back to AES and asked if we could just send in his transcripts and grades to show that he was still in school the same thing - NO he needed to pay. Well, right now he works a full time job, goes to school at night. He decided to just let it go but then it went to DCS. They called me because my son started to not answer the harassing phone calls from DCS. Then they wanted me to come up with the $$ right now. I am a single mother still raising another child, have held a job for 19 years, no child support from the father and trying to do all of this on my own. After several back to back phone calls they wanted me to come up with 9000 NOW and then make 500.00 payments. I told them that their was no way I could do this. My son and I decided to work with them and got the down payment to 3500 at first and then 305 a month. This still puts my son and I in a terrible time to where I NOW have to get a part time job to make this payment. Part time jobs are hard to find in this economy so who knows, I may have to take up stripping just to make ends meet to help me son. DCS is horrible on the phone with you, making you feel dirty, ashamed, a low life and a terrible person.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by   Kate 0 Votes
I work for a 2.5 billion dollar company doing business to business colecctions and NEVER treat our deliquent clients like DSC treats theirs. I and my father have been harrasssed via phone. We have tried to make verbal arrangements and then ask them for them in writing and never seem to get them. Now TODAY my father is willing to settle the balance in full via credit card and I'm now told we can not pay via that methid as I'm not an uthorized user on the card, even though he would be the on calling in and making the payment. I have read some of these horror stories reagrding DSC and plan to add my two cents to each site I visist. If you get a letter from them please ask to NOT have Julia Sanchez or David Brown her supervisor as your reprsentative. I'm now awaiting a call back from an even higher up manager to see if he will allow us to PAY the balance today.
 28th of Apr, 2009 by   toadstool 0 Votes
I too am a Veteran that "owes" money to the gov't. DCS is trying to collect as well, but won't tell me what specifically I owe and won't give me a number to the Dept. of Treasury to find out why I owe this magical amount. I had the good faith down payment speech too. I told her forget it your wasting your time, I'm not paying a dime for a debt that I know is not mine. She told me they would garnish my wages and taxes...awesome I'm a stay at home mom. works for me, you can gladly garnish chicken dinners as payment.

I honestly thought this was a scam at first, and honestly still do. Until I get a hold of the "person" I owe this debt to and verification, DCS is wasting there time.
 17th of May, 2009 by   upsetnv 0 Votes
DCS is collecting on on a loan that I paid off several years ago. I never received any collection letters from them and the first contact I had with them was the other day when they called a neighbor to relay a message to me...mind you, a neighbor that lives two blocks away from that I do not know. At first I thought it was some type of hoax. They refuse to send me any proof of this debt. I am actually contacting a consumer lawyer next week and I am documenting and recording any calls from them. The so-called manager I talked to actually told me that he knows I have children and their ages and stated that there are a lot of child predators in my neighborhood and I should be really careful. I asked what he meant by that and what it had to do with this matter and he said he was just "warning me". I took this as a threat and filed a report with my local police deptartment on Tuesday.

He also had the nerve to start listing off all my credit card accounts, mortgage, etc along with my monthly payment amounts and told me if I can pay those every month, why can't I pay them? I asked where he obtained that information and he said "it is all right here on your credit report". I worried about these people and identity theft. They are just so weird. I really think they have to be a fraudulent company based on what they are saying. I just can't believe it.

I am also filing complaints with my Attorney General's office in my state and the FTC. Something has to be done. This company breaks every single law. Any future conversations with them that I record, I think I will post on youtube for the world to hear.
 22nd of May, 2009 by   you know -1 Votes
mrs upsetnv we do what we gotta do to get you on the phone, and the way we get the info about is from the social security number that is provided from our client, whether you owe the department of treasury or even taxes you did something with your social that is affecting you now, so you can record and do all that non sense, because weve been doin this for 30 years, we honestly call you to give u a chance to pay before your bank gets liened, and trust me we can do this, we mostly want to help, but the way every one sees debt collectors isnt how we really are, but yea you do what you gotta do and we will keep making our money by doing our jobs, getting you to do something you havent done PAY YOUR DEBTS, thank you and have a nice day, oh yea we will be calling you for your next contact this will be the last attempt before the accnt gets garneshed, ha ha na just messin we cant do nothing right????? or can we????? TRUST ME WE MEAN NO HARM JUST WANT TO HELP YOU PAY YOUR DEBT TO SOCIETY,
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   suzydebtcollector -1 Votes
I've read through these complaints, and I see one common thread...loans that haven't been paid.

If any of you deadbeats would stop expecting to get something for nothing and actually PAY YOUR BILLS, they wouldn't end up with companies like DCS and you wouldn't be having the problems you're having now.

For the single mom...a big reason our economy is in the toilet is because idiots like you can't live within your means. Did you think that student loan was free money?? That's why it's a LOAN. Don't cry about the part-time job - you brought it on yourself.

And to "you know", grow up. I am a legitimate debt collector. I certainly hope you are just jerking these folks around by pretending to be one, because if you really do work in the field, you are the reason we have a bad name. If you worked for my company, I'd have you're ass in the supervisors office for FDCPA violations.
 20th of Jun, 2009 by   fidget 0 Votes
the stories are so familar, that i too could be anyone of these people. dcs have been calling and harassing me 7+ times a day. now they are calling my 89 yr. old grandfather who co signed on a student loan.dcs keeps saying we are in default, except i just graduated from college in may 09. when i asked them(teresa doley) how is this possible and what exactly is the amount of the loan she answers with "you should know how much you borrowed" teresa is a smart a-- who just like to intimidate and not co-operate.who are these people and how is itthat they are allowed to operate in this fashion?
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   romoe 0 Votes
I have had a horrible experience with DCS as well. I got a horrifying call to my job where I am not allowed to use the phones for personal issues from DCS. The following business day, I contacted them to come to a agreement on a repayment plan and got a horrible list of impossible payment plans. I contacted my attorney's office and they sent DCS a letter.

The best thing to do is to call the original lender and work it out with them. They have way better repayment plans than any of those collection agencies out there.

It is the collection agencies' job to intimidate people into paying their debts. Their goal is to try to scare people into borrowing from other sources to pay them so then the collection is collected, but the debt remains (in other forms).
 5th of Jul, 2009 by   Fuck DCS +2 Votes
suzydebtcollector, shove it up your cunt you dirty whore. Why don't you pull your head off your sixth cock of the day behind the WalMart dumpster and look what's happening to our economy and job situation. I hope you die in a fiery bus accident you filthy syphilis-ridden gutter slut.
 10th of Jul, 2009 by   CrazyinTexas +1 Votes
Suzy Debt Collecter,

Thank you for being so perfect. I mean really. I am sure you have never made a mistake, been late on a payment or had any financial problems.

Also thank you for your very astute analysis of our current economic situation. Perhaps you should forward your views to congress. I am sure your suggestions would be well taken there.

Online Shoppers Warned About '12 Scams of Christmas'

Latest Groups