logo

unauthorized charge

DirecTV
Oklahoma
directv.com
DirecTV added an NFL package to our plan without notice. Apparently, it was a free trial offer. The scam is it comes with an auto renewal so DirecTV added the expensive NFL package to our plan without our consent and charged us $32.99 extra every month. Our bill went up to $197 a month! When I noticed it, I called to cancel the NFL pkg. I didn't ask for a refund for the past charges, I just asked to cancel the $32.99 pkg from that day forward. They said I couldn't cancel because I was bound by contract. They said I should have called them within days of the first charge. How could I be bound by contract when I never authorized the extra package in the first place? I wish I could switch to Dish Network but I can't for another 7 months without paying a hefty cancellation fine. I did an online search and DirecTV has a ton of negative reviews and complaints about unauthorized charges. Now I have to check my DirecTV bill line by line for unauthorized charges every single month in case they try and do this again. A DirecTV call center employee anonymously posted on a blog that every customer needs to read ALL of the fine print on their DirecTV contract. The employee stated it is the customer's own fault since it is perfectly legal to add packages to a customer's bill. I had Dish Network for over 10 years and they never added anything without our consent. I will switch back to Dish as soon as our DirecTV contract ends in 6 months.
Comments United States Satellite & Cable TV
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Oct, 2009 by   Krow 0 Votes
Begining of Sept, we were moving. I called all the utilities to either cancel or move services. I called Directv to cancel due to I was able to get cable. Directv tried to get me to stay but I said no. They said I would have to return the equipment, including the DVR I bought! I asked how and they said they would send out Fedex boxes and I just had to return them. They also said they would mail the final bill to my new address.

Weds Oct 14th I finally recieved the boxes from Fedex at the new address. I mailed them out Monday Oct 19th. The paper in the boxes said I had 7 days so I still had time and I had to travel quite a bit to a drop off area. On Weds Oct 21 I decieded to balance the checkbook. When I logged into my account I found a unauthorized charge of $623.00 taken from my account by directv on Oct 16th and I already had 4 bounced checks along with it. I called the bank and they had me come in to fill out a ACH form, which I did! Then I called Directv. I talked with one operator who said I never cancelled my service and this gave them the right to do this. I said I most certainly did cancel my service, how else did you know how to send the boxes to the new address. After a bit of back and forth I was hung up on, accidently I am sure. The next day, I called directv again. I talked with one operator who pulled an additute with me, then I asked for a manager and it took 30 mins to transfer me to someone else. The next person said the $623.00 was due to the equipment non-return and I would get a full refund. I said I recieved the boxes in the evening on Oct 14th. I was charged on the 16th, how was that enought time to mail back the items. She then said it was more of an insurance thing for Directv so they knew they were getting it back. I said I want to talk to another manager, and she transfered me. That manager said that I was mis-informed about the "insurance" comment. That that was not true. I was then told what my estimated amount of refund would be. $365! I said wait what the heck why is there such a difference in the amount taken and what I would be refunded. They said it was Fees and service charges, and 2 months of service. I said NO I only owe one month of service I was waiting on the final bill to pay it. SHe said I owed for Sept also. I said I cancelled the service and she said "oh we have record of a phone conversation from you in Sept. You will have to talk with such and such department to get this straightened out, I can transfer you". I said yes transfer me. And then a few clicking sounds then the phone goes dead!

Here I am Oct 29th. No money and no refund, though directv recieved there equipment a week ago! The bank said the only thing they can do with the ACH form is give Directv 30 days to return the money because I returned the equipment.

What I dont understand is how the bank can tap them on there fingertips for this, and leave me in such a hardship at the moment. I thought when you had unauthorized charges you had a protection. I thought that something like this was criminal! You know if this was me taking it from there account its theft but directv its not??!!?? I wasnt even given time to return the equipment before the charge was taken! The letter in the boxes stated I had 7 days! They took it out in 2!!! I wasnt even given the chance to pay the final bill myself, they just took it and then some! I have a whole month of service they charged me for after I cancelled! They took there good time getting me the fedex boxes, but they sure can take the money without my approval out of my account before I can blink!

The BBB, FCC, and Attorney General for Pa were also notified. Yet to hear from them but still complaints made! I noticed over 34, 000 complaints against Directv on the BBB site. Amazing, thats alot of complaints!

Save yourself some troubles and go with another company, Directv is just backhanded and sneaky! I found out way to late!
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   krow2 0 Votes
Here it is Nov 9th. Still no refund. I returned there equipment 2 weeks ago! I have been trying to dispute the charges with my bank as I didnt authorize this. The bank is treating me like I am the criminal now...I keep getting letters of please provide this and an explaination...then another letter of provide that and an explaination...and so on! My bank is aurguing that since I returned the equipment they have to determine what I should be refunded by Directv. You know what, I dont care if I returned the equipment or smashed it...IT WAS AN UNAUTHORIZED CHARGE...its a criminal act by Directv that anyone else would/could face a felony charge for, but its ok for the bank to work around directv and leave me screwed over something I had no control over! I am about to put together all the information I have between Directv and my bank and write to all the local news channels in Pittsburgh and let everyone know about both companies. I have never been so angry in my life over everything! What upsets me the most is this is only the second time in my over 14 years with this bank that I ever had to file a dispute over a charge, the first being a bank mistake and the second is Directv. I dont have a habit of this...does the bank not look at everything here? Why am I getting a run around with the bank now? Its very plain as day that this is a practice that directv practices. I am so mad that there is not an agency willing to help me at this point! Any ideas?
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   Glenda G. Flores 0 Votes
After calling since Nov. '09, never getting a competent Agent, on my last call for help, the agent could not solve my problem, he authorized a Serv. person to come out to our home. When we received our bill this mo. there was a chg. for the service. I called Direct, and spoke to Katie, when she could not answer my complaint about the chg. I asked for a Supervisor, Denise answered. She could not answer and told me to read the Agreement, no where in the agreement does it say anything about a service, when the agent authorizes it. I did not authorize the service call and want it removed from my bill.
 28th of Nov, 2012 by   acder -1 Votes
I am investigating into a possible class action lawsuit against DirectTV. If you are interested you may contact me direct. There is no financial obligation.

Angela Edwards, Esq.
Law Office of Angela Edwards
East Longmeadow, MA 01028
(413) 525-3820
angelaedwards@charter.net

29th of Nov, 2012 by   MikeL DISH -1 Votes
MKAK,

Your post caught my attention and I just wanted to let you know that we would be thrilled to have you back with us! Thank you very much for your consideration in giving us another try. Over the next few months, feel free to check us out at dish.com for some information about our pricing and promotions and let me know if you have any questions! You can shoot me a private message anytime at michael.lemar@dish.com and I'll look forward to your response!
 17th of Dec, 2012 by   Wangygt -1 Votes
We called them to not renew the NFL Sunday Ticket, now they bill us and wont credit it back. Say they have no record of a call from us! Pure bullshit! Now they want to harve $140 to disconnect. We refuse to pay them for something we did not buy! These guys need to be sued!!!
 24th of Apr, 2013 by   GWIZZ 0 Votes
I was charged $19.92. I called Directv about this unauthorized charge on my account, The agent then told me they didn't know why i was charged and to fill out this form. I'm Upset and want a refund now!

How to Recognize a Foreclosure Scam