logo

HEB
Additional Charges
3. (5 mins ago)
pobama25@europe.com is Legit
fake id and fake passport
4. (7 mins ago)
Bogus charges

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Direct TV Complaints & Reviews - Unauthorized withdrawal from debit card!

Direct TV Contacts & Informations

Direct TV

Posted:    Marshall Abraham

Unauthorized withdrawal from debit card!

I terminated my services with Direct TV due to bad service, once I disconnected direct tv, they charged me a termination fee of $125.00, which I sent a check to them immediately, but direct tv went into my bank account and withdrew the $125.00 three times creating a overdraft, when I called customer service, I was told it would take 6-8 weeks before I could be sent a refund check, I asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold for almost and hour before I eventually hung up. I ended up calling my bank and having my debit card changed. The bank also canceled one of the unauthorized payments, then after direct tv debited my account three times, they tried to cash my check, this is the one the bank canceled. Horrid, Horrid, people!
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Oct, 2007 by   AP 0 Votes
The same thing happened to me, only on the day I canceled they told me they'd charge me $120, I told them even on that day I wouldn't have the money in my account, can I pay half now and half in two weeks. I was canceling not because I wanted to, but I had no choice it was due to circumstances beyond my control. Not only did they not care, they automatically withdrew $160.33 and caused me overdraft fees. I talked to TEN+ reps about this, and everyone's reply was the same "It's our policy." STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT TV! CABLE MAY COST A LITTLE MORE BUT I TRUST IT'S BETTER SERVICE!
 20th of Dec, 2007 by   Dawn West 0 Votes
The same thing happened to me,but I was charged for someone else's account. My name is not on the acct.They took $377.79 out of my bank acct.I caught it the first time before it cleared.I didn't know they would turn around and do this again.Here I am four days before christmas without $377.79 that I desperately need to pay my bills. Thank God! I already bought my kids presents. This is wrong and I dont see how this can be legal.I had used my debit card to purchase a ppv,thats how they recieved my acct#.Direct TV told me that the person should have told me that I would be responsible for they're past due balance,effective april,may.2007. and anyone's card # on file can be held responsible. This is WRONG!!! I will NEVER use direct TV and STRONGLY recomend KNOWONE use direct tV or pay anyone's bill buy credit card. This is still unresolved!!!
 20th of Dec, 2007 by   Dawn West 0 Votes
I Think Everyone should take LEGAL ACTION!!!
 25th of Mar, 2008 by   Radar 0 Votes
I agree with this posting. DirectTV has done the same thing with me and I'm thinking of starting a class action lawsuit to start in Volusia County, FL and then depending on a lawyer I may go national. Everyone if you haven't already file a complaint with two sites:
* consumeraffairs.com
*lawcash.com
I paid for the service to start using "check by phone". I have a 10 page folder to prove that they have lied to the state attorney generals of Florida and Georgia.
If you know of any dissatisfied customers in the Datona Beach, FL area please tell them to contact my e-mail:
Fred.Sayin@gmail.com . This also includes Deland, Deltona, Port Orange... Anyone means relative, friend, co-worker, collegue or even neighbor
 10th of Apr, 2008 by   Radar +1 Votes
c036Also e-mail clarkhoward.com if you live outside Atlanta GA or call him if you live in Atlanta GA -his number is on his website clarkhoward.com. I'm thinking of mailing a copy of their letter to attorney general Bill McCollum plus a copy of their bill to him to prove they are lying. Also according to an e-mail I paid an electronic funds payment around January 16. I'd like a company rep to tell me how I made a payment while in the hospital (1/8-1/18/08) and I don't want to hear a bullish story that my landlord and friend took one of my checks and read it to them. Why is it bullish I ran out of Suntrust checks in early December and didn't reorder until late January. If anyone can come up with Direct TV's picture logo send it to me and I'll relabel it and post it to the internet utube: "pissedofftv" Excuse my french but I'm quite angry and irritated when companies like Direct TV tells lies and allegedly commits fraud. Any disatisfied Direct TV customer with billing issues in Volusia County FL contact me by e-mail with your story and mailing address at
Fred.Sayin@gmail.com and my response will explain my strategies for dealing with Direct TV. Again try clarkhoward.com
 13th of Jun, 2008 by   James 0 Votes
BE CATIOUS, they will damage your property during the install. Lie about their intentions to fix the damage. Make up some 2-yr commitment and charge a cancalation fee. POOR, poor, poor customer service. Unfriendlys awful experieince only surpassed by TimeWarner; it must be an industry thing :(
 23rd of Aug, 2008 by   Ricardo 0 Votes
I terminated my services with Direct TV due relocating and was told to keep my equipment until I got here to reconnect, I never reconnecting and requested they send me labels to pick up equipment and for three months I never recieved anything, they send me a monthly bill for services they never provided, unbelievable, I call and ask them to send me a recovery kit and nothing came, but the monthly bills did. Well to my surprise they suspended my account and withdrew 441.00 from my account, I called customer service, I was told basically to bad not our problem and we can let you talk with a supervisor which I didn't, so they pass me to the recovery department and they advised me a recovery kit would be sent to me in the next couple of days and my money would be credited back in 2 weeks, I advised him this was not acceptable and they need to refund my money as soon as possible. I asked is there anybody else I can speak with and they said "no" So I ask where can I send a complaint to and basicall I didn'y get nothing, so I call my bank and we will dispute this charge, I'm very surprise that this company is still in business with practices like this, maybe there right in saying that something needs to be done to make sure they never do this to anybody agian. I really don't care for them and I will never do any business with them again.
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   Rob Wagner 0 Votes
Don't get stuck in the Direct TV trap. They lie, take your money, then the service when you have a problem is practically non-existent. You could be stuck like I was for weeks without service waiting for a technician. I was told I would not be charged a cancellation fee and would receive credit for the time I had no service, I was charged anyway. They tried to charge me for a receiver that I retuned. I can go on and on but I get mad just thinking of all the other problems I had. JUST STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT TV. GET CABLE.
 22nd of Dec, 2008 by   Deidre 0 Votes
I did not or do not have direct tv. My debit card was used to make a payment for someone and they debited my account in total of $615.71. And all of you are right they do not answer your questions. I have spoken to so many different people. I advise no one to use your debit information to pay a bill for someone else. Its very wrong the way they treat you and its very wrong to take money from someone elses account that does not have any thing to do with direct tv. Please stick with cable i.e. BRIGHT HOUSE or your local cable company.
 8th of Jan, 2009 by   Tom 0 Votes
I cancelled Direct TV 8 years ago for all of these complaints. I would rather pay more somewhere else then keep there service.

They recently offered me a great deal with free stuff for like 3 months and I refused to get it. I am glad to know they are still up to the same bull as in the past.
 18th of Feb, 2009 by   Kurt 0 Votes
DirecTV has the most inefficient and unresponsive billing and accounting system known to man. They have been trying to find a $126.64 check they cashed ten days after my account was closed and still no luck and this is someone from the Presidents office working on it. I am back to writing checks I will never give a company my debit card number again. You loose total control of your account with systems like theirs in place. They think you owe them money you get numerous automatic phone calls all day, they owe you money it six to eight weeks.
just pure corporate arogance.
 20th of Mar, 2009 by   Pam 0 Votes
ENtirely agree, 20000000%
 19th of Apr, 2009 by   DGC 0 Votes
We have had Direct TV for just about 4 years now. I hae never had any trouble with them at all. That being said, I will keep my eyes open for sure and not use a Debit Card at all.
 9th of Jun, 2009 by   fiarella +1 Votes
we have had direct tv since 3/28/07. I'm telling this site since they DON'T have anywhere to complain on their site! we ordered extra mlb innings last year. It was fine. Then after we got back from europe we noticed on our bill we had it charged again!!! call after call no luck, or help except to take off 5.00 a mth. for three mths. are you kidding. they assumed that we wanted it again, and said they sent us a letter. mabey telephoning would have helped . my god are mail was not seen until we got back home, in which are time to say no had expired.come on now, that would be like a visit to a resturaunt, and returning a year later only to find out they already ordered for you because that is what you had the year before! i think it stinks and i will be canceling as soon as the season is over. I will also tell all the people i care about not to get involved with that rotten company.oh by the way we missed 25 games because we didn't know we had the darn thing. I CAN'T STAND DIRECT T.V.
 17th of Jul, 2009 by   funny 0 Votes
cancled Direct Tv Service because I moved in with family and they took $509.86 out of my fathers bank account. They did not have the authorization from him to with draw it out. That in my eyes is grand larcney. The bank told us to contact direct tv and have them refund it back or to file a police report. We have been working for a week to get the money back into my fathers account.
 3rd of Aug, 2009 by   Kymn +1 Votes
I decided to go with ATT UVERSE because they could connect my entire house with Networking, so after being with Direct TV for 6 to 7 years I disconnected with them, not thinking anything about it. However... Let me tell you what, I upgraded my Television in my bedroom to a HD so I also upgraded my receiver to a HD receiver, and they extended a contract.. WHAT CONTRACT!! I told them, I upgraded their outdated receiver.. I told them that one would think that being a customer for over 6 years that would null and void a 2 year contract, but NO.. that proceeded to charge me $480 for cancelling early contract, blah.. blah.. One thing on my side was my credit card on their file was expired, I never enrolled in Auto Pay.. I WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK TO DIRECT TV AGAIN.. I never had any complaints about their television, but their customer service just took me and hurled me right into ATT forever and ever and ever.. I will never go back to DIRECT TV for the way they treated me.. ATT UVERSE IS GREAT EVERYONE... TRY IT, IT IS WONDERFUL TO HAVE YOUR ENTIRE HOUSE HOOKED UP TO NETWORKING. installers are super nice and stay as long as it takes to get the job done. Kimn Chartier
 16th of Sep, 2009 by   Tee Tyson 0 Votes
I have had Direct TV for five years, it was this year that I was unable to pay. I found out that Direct TV just debited 118.00 from my account of which I did not authorize. This led me to have overdraft charges. I was highly upset and called Direct TV and they told me that even though I was not under contract they could debit the credit card on file after permanent disconnect. They said that it was on the back of my inital contract. Who normally reads the back? I told them that I felt that I should have been at least sent a letter or something. I will definitely not go with Direct TV in the future. I will now be looking to go with a cable company. At least if I had known maybe I could have some time type of arrangements or something. I was planning to eventually pay the bill just not right now. CONSUMERS BEWARE! PLEASE DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AND DEFINITELY NOT USE A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD WITH THEM. I HAVE DEFINITELY LEARNED MY LESSON.
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   burn direct tv 0 Votes
UNAUTHORIZED DRAFT: FEES OF 500+!!! They just simply took the money out using my debit card without authorization, just as all of the aforementioned VICTIMS. Now, I am an attorney and retired police officer, and I can safely say they have broken both civil and criminal law here. I am astonished that no action has been taken...astounded. Well I can say to everyone, I am taking action...devoting some serious time to the matter. I don't care what the cost is to me personally, it's the principal; and you better believe fury is on its way! I shall begin with the Watch Dog. Good luck to everyone on the eve of battle...I look forward to their demise, and wish all of you the best of luck.
 27th of Oct, 2009 by   pisssedatDTV 0 Votes
I just spent 2 hours on the phone with these thieves. They took $334 out of my account on 10-13, withdrew the account, bank charges have accrued, etc. I had no idea until today. I am 66 years old, unemployed having lost my lucrative real estate job more than 2 years ago. They just don't give a damn. I cancelled my service in August; they said I never called them; continued to charge me; charged me $160 "cancellation fee" -- WTF? How do I get my money back? I can't make it until my next social security check...

I'm all for a lawsuit -- taking unauthorized funds out of someone's checking account WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN OWE THEM THE MONEY cannot be legal!!! What can be done about these bastards??
 15th of Dec, 2009 by   angryatdirecttv 0 Votes
Ok, I was just hit twice for a total of $778.00. Supposedly I renewed my contract in August, 2009. I asked for another DVR box to be sent because the 3rd one they sent was not working properly. I guess when they send out a replacement box, you are extending your contract. I couldn't get any return box sent to me so I could return their equipment, and I was hit for an early termkination fee. Interesting since my contract expired a year ago last June and I never renewed it. They have lied, are incompetent, and thieves. Their service is substandard at best, their support staff can barely speak english let alone read the cue cards they are given to be "customer service". Their equipment does not work properly, and it is difficult to get any credits or refunds of service paid when the system is not working.

The Manager of my Credit Union told me how to stop these unlawful charges. First, slam the card you used. Cancel it, and get another atm/debit/Visa card. DO NOT PAY your account from Directtv with your bank card. If you want to pay online or over the phone, get a prepaid VISA card for the amount of the payment, use the card, and toss it. There is no bank account attached to the card for DIRECTTV to steal money from.

If you were a victim of Directtv, call the Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney General of the State you live in. Good Luck, and DO NOT GIVE DIRECT TV YOUR BANK ATM?DEBIT, OR VISA FOR ANY REASON. THEY ARE INCOMPETENT THIEVES.

Mobile Phone Insurance Fraud