logo

online degree scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Direct General Auto Insurance, Nashville, Tennessee Complaints & Reviews - customer dis satisfied of insurance coverage not legit

Direct General Auto Insurance Contacts & Informations

Direct General Auto Insurance

Posted:    kathryn lynn jackson

customer dis satisfied of insurance coverage not legit

direct general insurance
Nashville, Tennessee
Phone: 615-399-4700
i have been a long time customer of direct auto insurance and i was resently involved in a mass flood storm in houston texas we had water as high as 10 to 12 inches for several days cars were stalled all over the place plus drowings of children and thier families inside their vehicles . it was awful i was also one of the victims of my car being damaged thur high waters trying to make it home from work . my car had to be towed from one car repair place and then i had to get it towed to the delear ship both buisness confirmed that the car throddle body had water damage and my insurance company only wanted to pay for just my nicks and dings to the car and not the engine of which my car wouldnt start because they claim the car had no evidence of water damage of which it took a week just to get a adjuster over to look at it BY THEN IM SURE THE WATER HAD DRIED UP AND EVEN THE DEALERSHIP SAID THERE WAS WTER EVIDENCE ALL ON TOP OF THE ENGINE, I DONT UNDERSTAND I HAVE NEVER HAD A CLAIM WITH THEM I PAY MY INSURANCE ON TIME AND THIS IS HOW THEY WANT TO TREAT LOYAL CUSTOMERS I DONT THINK SO, I HAVE ALL MY DOCUMENTS AND CALLS REGISTERED AND I AM SEKING A LAWYER WITH THIS MATTER JUST WANTED FOR THE PUBLIC TO BE AWARE, OF HOW INSURANCE COMPANIES CAN SCREW U .

KATHRYN JACKSON
Comments United States Auto Insurance & Loan
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of May, 2009 by   L C I +2 Votes
I am living with a simialr nightmare dealing w/ Direct. 11 days ago I was in a accident in Searcy, AR. in my '06 Altima that was in excellent conditon.The other driver who was at fault & cited for failure to yield had no insurance. I filed a claim with my uninsured motorist part of insurance I had with Direct. The body shop estimate was $7786.18. The Direct insurance man came to do his estimate at the body shop. They claim only $4014.27 and then are claiming I have to pay my $1000. 00 deductable. They are denying to replace my windshield which has numerous chips from crash debris from the other car & roof damage from same. I have to get 2nd rate parts & they have not allowed enough money for labor according to the body shop. The bocy shop has a great reputation & says he can't fix it right with those numbers. He also said they were cheap & didn't have good things to say about them. I now have to find a attorney to fix this mess on top of dealing with my injuries which includes a head injury. If they're screwing me like this on my car, I can't wait to see what happens on the medical, which I have over $15, 000. 00 of! I see where they're in other class action lawsuits for allegedly deceiving others. I wonder how they sleep at night & how they would like for their family to be in the same situation. I have filed a complaint w/ the insurance commission, will do the same with our attorney generals office, & may take out an add or two in our statewide newspaper looking for other victims & try to get a class action lawsuit going. Others should do the same. We must fight for our selves & hold these people accontable.
 6th of Sep, 2009 by   Douglas Bowie +2 Votes
I would like to know where my auto insurance card are? My name is Douglas Bowie.Ibought auto insurances on thurday, and igave you the down payment of 139.00 because Ihad to get a different one from you. So please contact me by mail.
 2nd of Oct, 2009 by   MitchO +2 Votes
I was recently struck from behind by a driver whose vehicle is 'covered' by Direct General Insurance. I notified Direct the morning after the accident, but they are more concerned with dodging responsibility than they are with making things right. They say they're waiting for a police report (usually not necessary on a minor accident with no injuries), and that they're not sure the driver of their vehicle is covered under their policy. They also state that they probably won't honor the claim because the policy was brand new. WHAT DOES ANY OF THAT HAVE TO DO WITH PROCESSING A CLAIM?

1) Most insurance companies don't need a complete police report for a minor accident.
2) They are not insuring the person...they're insuring the car. In other words, if the car was parked and rolled out into traffic, the car's insurance company would be liable.
3) It doesn't matter if the policy was new or not. If the insurance company accepts money for the policy, then they are bound to pay.

I use my car for business, and every day I don't have it, I'm out of work. It's been almost a week so far. I've contacted my company, Progressive, and they're taking care of things. Progressive has authorized my car repairs, and will go after Direct General on my behalf. Direct General is obviously a 'junk' insurance company. Don't count on them to do the right thing.
 29th of Apr, 2010 by   Theresa Madison +2 Votes
I agree with everyone on here. Direct General is a "JUNK" Company that needs to be shut down for good!!! They always try to find a way to deny responsibilty for all claims filed through them.

I have been a customer of Direct General nearly the whole time they have been in business. I have never filed a major claim before until recently when my house burned down, and my vehicles, which were insured with Direct General, were in my garage during the fire. Therefore, my vehicles got burned to a crisp. I immediately called Direct General, and every since then they have been trying to dodge responsiblity for my damages. First of all, they did not provide me with a rental car, and I have been paying for rental coverage ever since I have had a policy with them. Their excuse for not getting me a rental was that I did not have that coverage, and after debating with them that I do have rental, then the rep told me that they now see that I have rental, but Direct General does not pay for rental if the vehicle is involved in a fire, but only if it is a theft or accident. I am like, duh...it was an accident...it was an accidental fire!...Needless, to say, how can you say that one type of loss of a vehicle is any worse than another. So, why would you pay for one type of loss, and not another. I told the rep that I had just renewed my policy a couple of months ago, and the agent never told me of any such thing. The rep told me that the agent had given me rental coverage thru a third party insurance company, and that sometimes the agent will put the customer with this company without informing the customer in order to save the customer money. He further said that the third party company does not pay for rental if it is a fire, but only if it is a theft or accident. He then informed me that if the rental portion of my policy was directly thru Direct General and not this third party company then I would not have this problem, because they would pay for a fire incident, and any other type of claim. I told him that I was never informed of such a change. It is not fair that I have to suffer due to my cars are burnt up and this was something that I did not give your agent permission to do. Needless to say, they did not pay for a rental for me, and I had to catch rides with family members to get where I needed to go, and I had been paying for this coverage for years. It has been almost 2 months since the incident, and Direct General has not paid me one thin dime on my claims, and my vehicles are totalled. I am getting very impatient with them, but I want everyone to know that they are not a reputable company, and if you are with them, you need to get away from them, and find you a company that is more reputable and that when you need a claim filed, they won't deny responsiblity and won't pay you on your claim like Direct General. I am going to seek me an attorney in this matter. TO EVERYONE WHO IS A DIRECT GENERL'S CUSTOMER. RUN AND RUN FAST FOR YOUR OWN SAKE. SPENDING MONEY WITH DIRECT GENERAL IS LIKE THROWING MONEY IN THE TRASH.
 30th of Apr, 2010 by   MitchO +1 Votes
Right on!
 25th of May, 2010 by   pISSED IN tN +1 Votes
Customer service sucks. I have been trying to pay my account online for over 6 months now. I pay my daughters account just fine, but for some reason or another I can no longer pay mine. I called my local office, oh that is handled by a third party you have to call them. Did they give me a number, NO! I went to the website and tried to reregister, hum, now it will not take my password. So, I called the number on the website that was listed.

AFTER FOUR CALLS I FINALLY SPOKE TO A SUPERVISOR THE SAME REP WHOS NAME SOUNDS LIKE "SHENA" PUT ME ON HOLD TWICE FOR A TOTAL OF 18 MIN DEAD SILENCE. AFTER ALL THAT THEY STILL DID NOT RESOLVE MY ISSUE AND I HAD TO ASK THE SUPERVISOR TWICE TO REPORT IT.

I HAVE TO ADMIT THE THE HUFFS AND PUFFS I RECEIVED FROM SHENA WHEN I ASKED FOR HER NAME WERE QUITE AMUSING.

NEEDLESS TO SAY WE ARE SHOPPING FOR A BETTER INSURANCE COMPANY THAT KNOWS CUSTOMER SERICE.
 2nd of Jun, 2010 by   LH from KY +1 Votes
I had an accident while driving a vehicle with full coverage insurance through Direct General. They declared my vehicle a total loss before even viewing my damage. Then it took them 3 weeks to complete their estimate and cost value of my truck. I had to get a rental car on my own and was told that my policy did not have rental coverage. I thought that odd, since I ask for rental coverage and was told I had rental coverage by my agent. Then as they checked further into my policy, they found that I have rental reimbursement through a third party agency. I was not made aware of this. This is underhanded, undercutting of my auto insurance, without my authorization. I would have never agreed to this. So, not only do they not provide the rental car coverage, but what they do provide is a reimbursement policy. I have to pay for the car upfront. Then they only pay for 10 days. They finally got me my repair estimate 22 days after my accident. So I have had to pay for an additional 12 days simply because they would not follow up with the adjuster to get my information. I had to make repeated phone calls to the claims office, my agents office and the actual adjusters office in order to get the report when I did. They refuse to reimburse me for the 12 extra days that was due to their negligence, because afterall, Direct General does not provide the rental coverage, that is a third party company. My other problem is that they claim my truck a "total loss" and are not offering the fair value of my truck. I've gone round and round with them. I did all the research and forwarded them dealer prices on comparable vehicles in my area. I'm from Kentucky, and they are using prices from Northern Ohio, Lower Michigan and somewhere near the Tennessee border on the Kentucky side. I don't understand why they don't use vehicles in my area. It's like they went out of their was to find lower cost vehicles to make up the cost value on my truck.

I now realize that I should have done much more research into this company before choosing them for cost efficencey. I will never make that mistake again. I will be switching insurance as soon as this mess is cleared up. I agree with the other complaints. Run, run far away from Direct General!
 6th of Jun, 2010 by   Theresa Madison +1 Votes
I think that everyone on this blog needs to get together and contact the Insurance Commissioner regarding how this company is a ripoff. It has ripped off millions of dollars from a whole lot of poor innocent people, and they need to be shut down. Enough is enough! We have to let it be known to others, never to spend your money with this fake company, because in their time of need, Direct General will always find a way to never honor your claim.
 8th of Jun, 2010 by   Suzanne424 0 Votes
BUYERS BEWARE! DIRECT GENERAL WILL ADD PRODUCTS YOU HAVE NOT ASK FOR AND WILL BILL YOU FOR THEM. THIS IS INSURANCE DECEPTION IN THE WORST KIND OF WAY. MY HUSBAND WENT IN TO GET LIABILITY AND UNINSURED MOTORIST ONLY AND IN A FEW DAYS WE GOT OUT POLICY WITH LIFE INSURANCE, (THEY DID NOT OFFER IT, AND THEY FILLED IN THE QUESTIONAIRRE REGARDING HEALTH ISSUES AND THE BENEFICIARY) HOWEVER WE PAY THE PREMIUM. WHEN WE CALLED THEM ON THIS THEY REFUSED TO REFUND OUR PREMIUMS ON THE PRODUCTS WE DID NOT ASK FOR NOR DID THEY OFFER BUT ILLEGALLY ADDED ON TO UP THE PRICE OF THE PREMIUM. LOOK CLOSELY AT YOUR POLICY YOU MAY BE PAYING FOR MORE THAN YOU ASK FOR. INTENT TO CONTACT TO INSURANCE BOARD ON THIS MATTER. ONE UNSATISFIED PAST CUSTOMER!!
 8th of Jun, 2010 by   Suzanne424 0 Votes
Everyone not happy with Direct Insurance should post a brief message on any social networks you are on such as facebook, myspace, twitter etc. Let people know if you are dissatisfied. I read today that someone out of Florida has filed a class action lawsuit because of Direct slipping in other products in their insurance policy without discussing it with the policy holders. Get the word out. Buyer beware before you sign.
 10th of Jun, 2010 by   Theresa Madison 0 Votes
Hi Suzanne,
Do you know how anyone on this page can get in on that class action lawsuit that you read about in Florida, and are you going to get in on it since it has happened to you, also...not to mention, myself, as well. Please respond and give us all some insight of how to nip this in the bud. In the long run it will be well worth it.
 2nd of Jul, 2010 by   Russell861 0 Votes
Yes, I was hit by a direct general customer, my experience;;;Ditto=stalling; Ditto=we are waiting for a police report; Ditto=we must examine the facts; Ditto=we will pay; Ditto=the check is coming; Ditto=you didn't get the check yet?

So far its cost me $12, 300 and I was the one hit on May 25, 2010 in Orlando, Florida. I believe this is criminal, they take in money and pay out no claims. I believe all agents are trained to avoid payment at all costs. Well I won't go quietly.

If you reading this, you too about to be ripped-off by Direct General.
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   directgarbage 0 Votes
Same here, I got screwed with the rental car reimbursement. Had the car for 22 days and their outside company only paid $250 for 10 days. Direc is garbage. I got fed up. Got a lawyer. Once this is settled I will run as fast as I can to a reputable insurance company.
 9th of Feb, 2011 by   kitten71 0 Votes
I am a former employee of Direct in Virginia and I can agree with all the posts about Direct not caring about their customers. As employees, we are pushed at getting the total sale which includes products that most customers do not need nor want. I used to feel guilt when a customer would leave with a new policy because I knew if they had a claim, it would be a hassle getting paid. I am sorry for what everyone here had to deal with. My suggestion is find a reputable company.
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   Kelly Bolt Nanticoke, PA 0 Votes
I have just purchased The General Auto Insurance last month 2/1/11. I was due to have my automatic payment taken out of my account on 3/5/11 and it is now 3/8/11 and no payment has been taken out of my account. I go to check my invoice online and it says *Payment due 3/5/11 DO NOT Send Payment at this time, it will be deducted from your checking account or credit card* Right above my invoice on the documents page is a line that says "Notice of Termination", and the killer part is there is no Adobe Acrobat Symbol next to it for me to read the letter, and I opted for the "GO Green" option so no letter is even going to get sent to me. I will be contacting this customer service department later today and as far as I can tell it isn't going to go well. This customer is switching to All State! USAA! Is a great company as well! I don't know why I ever left them to go to this crap company thinking I would save money! ERRRRRRRRRRRRR!
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   Kelly Bolt Nanticoke, PA 0 Votes
Class Action Suit in Florida was dismissed! Buell v. Direct General Insurance Agency, Inc., 2008 WL 598281 (11th Cir.) (dismissal with prejudice of statewide class action for alleged violation of insurance statute under which plaintiffs demanded the voiding of hundreds of thousands of policies).
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   Mad and disappointed 0 Votes
I have the general since 8/1/2010 to present my car was recently involved in a accident and my sister was cited for the accident. The general said they were going to deny my claim due to no one is allowed to drive my car that i signed some restricted policy which to my knowledge i did not, then come to find out that I don't have any tow medical or my custom equipment on my policy that I requested to have, which all this time I thought I was paying for so i'm trying to figure out what am i'm paying them almost $200 a month for. they are the biggest scam I ever dealt with if you have them leave, I would not recommend them to anyone at all they are the worst. I thought that they should be able to pull up any past quotes that you may requested and purchased but they saying that they can not they are so full of crap and i'm so pissed I will be filing a lawsuit against them no matter what the outcome just to let people know how they treat you even after they get your money... DO NOT USE THEM THEY ARE A SCAM!!!
 1st of May, 2011 by   Kelly Stone 0 Votes
I was a Direct Customer. I was in an Accident in Feb. 2009. My Adjuster was a goof and jack off. He never understood or never wanted to anything about the accident and just told me that the Litigation Department was handling it. That there would be no issue with getting my Property and Bodily Injury paid for. TWO YEARS later and some months...(and I have spoke to him Multiple almost stalking times since the accident) still nothing. I had spoke to the other Insurance Company too...OMNI in Atlanta the other person's car insurance. They to are worthless. I finally filed an Arbitration and Lawsuit against the other driver and now Direct wants to get in on the action...I told them no way !!! I will handle this myself as I have been doing anyway. I no longer have insurance with them and have a Company with a GREAT reputation. And it is cheaper plus I do get rental, road side assistance, and can pay per month for only a dollar ! How stupid was I to go with direct when I did? LIVE AND LEARN !!!
AND YES, DIRECT IS A SCAM AND JOKE !
 16th of Jul, 2011 by   Pinklover92 0 Votes
I wish I would have done my research before getting Direct. I pay $100 a month and NEVER miss a payment. I have never gotten any type of ticket and never been in an accident until 2 months ago. I ran my car underneath the trailer of an 18 wheeler. Direct sent an appraiser out who did not help me at all. The adjuster sent me a check and a list of parts the car needed. Nobody ever answers their phone and never returns my calls. I took my car to a very well known and trusted body shop. They had been fighting with Direct because they were told that my car could only have used parts. My windsheild was busted and its nearly impossible to pull a windshield out of another car without cracking it. Finally, It was decided that my car had been totaled. When I talked to the appraiser he told me that he totaled the car on first sight and I was never supposed to recieve the check I recieved. Since then I have not spoken to anyone. I have called almost everyday for the past 3 weeks. I threatened to contact the insurance comission (which I have done now) and they are still not willing to help me. The check they wrote me isn't even enough to pay my car off. I have been without a car for 2 months and I still have to pay insurance and a car payment. I will always give HONEST reviews about Direct. If you are researching for new insurance, DO NOT GO TO DIRECT!!! As soon as this clears up, I WILL be switching companies.
 17th of Jul, 2011 by   kitten71 0 Votes
I used to work for Direct and I can commiserate. Even as an employee in one of their field offices, I could never get a claims agent to call me back on behalf of an insured. I am so glad to be gone from Direct. I NEVER recommended them to friends or family. One day they are gonna get sanctioned for their questionable activities. I just wanted to tell you that you do not have to remain with Direct until this is resolved. If you turn your tags in on your vehicle, you do not have to keep it insured. If you still have a vehicle on your policy other than the totaled vehicle, you can change companies now. You are not under any kind of contract that says you have to stay because of an open claim. You were insured on the day of the accident and that is enough. I am personally insured with Geico and I have had no problems. Good Luck with your search and resolving this mess.

Identity Theft Solutions for Consumers