logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (1 mins ago)
CheapOAir
Dirty dealing, lying and fraud
2. (1 mins ago)

Posted:    Paula

Billing

Direct Energy
Texas
I am at my wits end. I have not received a bill from Direct Energy in 4 months, I have called, I have emailed, I have complained (to the PUC). I was told it was an internal problem, yet it seems after doing a little research that I am the only one with this problem, and I have been told also that my bill has not been generated. This has happened to me once before about four years ago, when DE didn't read my meter for almost 8 months. I was contacted by a rep about a month ago and she assured me that I would receive my bill within a matter of days. That never happened. I am on a limited income, so aside from the fact that they will bill me three times a month, I will have to go without food and medicine again just like the last time this happened. It is also weird that my five year contract is coming due. If I had known that DE had been sued for deceptive practices, I would never have signed with them. Your better off with TXU and I don't like them either.
Comments United States Utility Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

I am having the same problem since July 08
I am having the same problem. No bill since July 08
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   Name Withheld 0 Votes
I am having the same problem. No bill since July 08.
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   Dan Shupert 0 Votes
I am also having the same problem. I do not want to get a bill for $2000.00 at one time, especially after such a hot summer. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH DIRECT ENERGY. We have called, emailed etc. I signed up with them in Jun, it is now October...
 8th of Oct, 2008 by   Paula 0 Votes
My suggestion to any of you on Direct Energy Texas is to file a complaint with the Public Utility Commission of Texas. It worked for me. Direct energy can be fined up to $25, 000.00 a day for not sending a bill every 30 days. I finally got a bill a week ago after complaining to the PUC twice.
 20th of Oct, 2008 by   Bruce Allen 0 Votes
In recent days in the DFW area, I heard that folks I know were having billing problems and shutoffs by Direct Energy from folks here in DFW, Texas.Didn't realize that they had D.E...then it happened to me.
I have recieved 5 invoices in October and went from owing 83 dollars to 350 dollars...Supposedly being back-billed for June-July..They are Con Artists and had the slickiest Telemarketer's that pretty much would not stop with their reason why it would be so much better to sign up for them---how great they were excetra, excetra...I am contacting Investigative reporters on television and newspapers today..Direct Energy Needs to be Exposed to the Public.
 5th of Nov, 2008 by   Paula 0 Votes
Well here we go again. After filing two complaints with the Public Utility Commission, I finally got my billing straightened out, , , or so I thought, , , now I don't have a August or September bill and probably a October bill either. I just don't get it. I have never been late actually I pay it the day I get it. They can't blame Oncor. Oncor reads my meter like clock work every month. I have been with DE for 7 years. I am going to file another complaint with the PUC again If I don't have a bill in the next week, then I am going to the media.
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   karin rosenthal 0 Votes
I, too, did not receive a bill for several months. However, after speaking with several very plesant costomer service reps, I chose to pre-pay my bills. Everyone is well aware of how much electricity they use, so either put the money aside if you choose not to send it the the provider or carry a credit on your account like I did. Your monthly expenses don't change just because the utility company doesn't send you a bill.
 19th of Nov, 2008 by   Paula 0 Votes
First of all, I am not MRS. Money bags. My husband and I are on a set income. He is disabled, so yes my monthly expenses do change, and yes I do pay with a debit card and yes I debit it to my account where it sits in their account collecting interest for Their company, until it is due. What You don't know is that DE is breaking the law and is in violation of Substansive Rule 25.479
part (b) (2) and can be fined $25, 000.00 per occurrence to wit: providers are required to issue billing no later than 30 days.
Once again, the third time I have not received a bill since August.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Cassi 0 Votes
I have also had the same problem since July and it's now DECEMBER!!! I have contacted the PUC, but still nothing.

Has anybody actually contacted the media about this?
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Mark 0 Votes
Same here no bill since July but have received 2 letters stating they are having billing problems. They enclosed $25 shell gas card each time. Weird!
 3rd of Dec, 2008 by   Joanna Graves 0 Votes
Same problem here. No bill since July. Every month I call wanting my bill or to at least tell me what I owe. I have a business account. My renter has been out of his mind with worry that they'll just shut the electricity off. Every time I call they say we don't owe any money and that I should get the bill in a couple of weeks. Last time I called I told them I want to talk to someone who can tell me what the h*** is going on! Finally got some kind of manager.She asked if I had gotten the letter telling me they had raised my rates. No! Got the gas card last week. What a joke. If we ever get this bill straightened out we are so out of here! What a way to do business.
 7th of Feb, 2009 by   Cowboylikeme 0 Votes
Same problem here, no bill from October thru Jan... We started buisiness with DE in October and never recieved ANYTHING in the mail even stating that we were indeed on their grid. Its kind of hard to pay a bill when you dont even have a customer id number. Either way I have called them weekly for 4 months and was told every time that they were having a problem with their billing department and that it would be fixed very soon. One time they even told me that the billing machine was destroyed in the Hurricane that hit the Texas coast.. HAHA I recieved a bill yesterday, on Feb 6 2009 and my bill is for $1200.00 dollars... They assured me that I would be able to make payments once I recieved my bill, I called them today and they are willing to let me pay it out for $282 a month on top of my current months charges. So bottom line is that I am going to have to pay 500+ a month just to keep my electricity on. Thats not the issue I am complaining about. I am mad because they couldnt get me my bill on time. I forgot to mention that they also tried to blame Oncor (the people that reads the meter) by saying that they had not read the meter... When I called oncor they told me my meter reading for each month. De is a bunch of liars and crooks... Avoid if you can.
 11th of Feb, 2009 by   marcye 0 Votes
Have any of you been charged for "smoothing"?
 12th of Feb, 2009 by   Dennis 0 Votes
I got a bill from Direct Energy for over $500. I called to find out what was going on, and though some of it was explained via an error on my part, the CSR found out that my account had started with a balance already on it! So she sent an inquiry to the billing department and gave me a number to call in a few days. I called two weeks later and they still hadn't done anything so someone I spoke with put the inquiry into a supervisor's inbox. I got a call a few days later just to say that they were now starting the investigation. Then I got a call a few weeks later from some CSR saying that she saw a call back notice and wanted to know what my question was. I explained the situation and that I was supposed to get a call from a supervisor about the investigation, then she said that the system showed no investigation, and that I would not be able to speak with anyone about it.

Direct Energy is a piece of garbage.
 17th of Feb, 2009 by   Sharon Wilson 0 Votes
February 17, 2009

I highly agree! My situation covers all of the above and more. The company Direct Energy is passing their problem onto the Consumer instead of working with the consumer.

This matter will be taken to their legal counsel as well as the news media within the next 30 days.

Anyone who wishes to join me pleases email me at owilson2912@verizon.net or you may mail me at address shown below.

Right is right and wrong is wrong. Direct Energy is very wrong in today's world.
Thank you and looking forward into hearing from you consumers who want help.

Sharon Wilson
2912 Robindale Ln
Grapevine, TX 76051
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by   pklotz 0 Votes
Sharon- your email is kicking back.

We have had similar problems- Direct Energy has sent us several bills with widely varying amounts due and will not substantiate the usage that they are claiming that we had from August to November. We paid up through November and asked for a reread and then cancelled with them. We moved out of the apartment and they still insist that we used $90 in electricity in December despite nobody being there and no re-read being done. We asked them to re-read our meter and stop calling us because we want to correspond by mail to document our discussions and still they have continued to call.

We're pretty fed up because they won't tell us how much we owe them or how much we over-paid them for previous months!
 23rd of Feb, 2009 by   Pat Trull 0 Votes
WARNING! DO NOT USE DIRECT ENERGY FOR ANYTHING! Direct Energy is quiet possibly the worst utility company in the area. Three years ago I received an outrageous light bill and called for a re-read the day the bill arrived. After 2 wks and no call back we phoned again. Someone had canceled our request because the bill said ACTUAL. Baloney! When they came out to read the meter again we were told we would get a large credit because the reading was SO off. Instead, we were charged the 2nd reading like it was our next bill ending up having to pay BOTH bills. PUC could care less and always sided with the utility company. Now, we have the same issues happening and NO ONE could care less! Each of our last 4 bills said ACTUAL but they managed to apply 4 credits to my account in 1 week then send me another outrageous bill to make up for the credits. My January bill was almost $300 for a 1900 sq foot house with no one at home during the day. WHAT! Of course they said 'sorry - that was an actual reading' - i suppose like all the other actual readings that weren't. We’ve tried changing providers and – both times we’ve tried - our paperwork mysteriously gets lost! I think they’re all in bed together with the PUC! One thing IKE taught us - a generator looks pretty good from our eyes.
 23rd of Mar, 2009 by   ashowhorse 0 Votes
I signed up for Direct Energy when I moved into my townhouse. I signed up in August of 2008 and then disconnected my service in Dec 2008. Not once did I ever receive a bill. I called this company 15 times to find out why I hadn't receive a bill and to pay any balance that I had due. Each time I was told that they did not have a balance for me and that they were having issues with the system that generates the bill. Now in Feb 2009, I receive a bill for the balance. I called and tried to set up a payment plan and the supervisor told me that I could just pay $100.00 each time and this would keep my bill up to date. Also when they started calling me in Feb 2009 I hadn't even received a bill yet. So I asked them to send me the bill first before I paid. I received a bill a few days later and sent them a payment for 100.00. Now 20 days later, I have received a notice for my bill in collections. I am telling you, this company is horrible!!! Yes they are cheaper but for them to send my account to collections when I haven't received but one bill (which I paid 100 on) in 7 months, that is just ridiculous!!! I am so mad and will be posting and giving them horrible reviews on every single website I can find!

Oh also, when you call be prepared to be on hold for a minuim of 30 minutes!!! And most of the customer service reps, can't speak english very well so it's hard to understand them!!
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   gdwa 0 Votes
My ultimate complaint is that Direct Energy is so completely incompetent that remaining with them became impossible. During the first 6 months I received my electicity from Direct Energy I only received one bill. They were completely incapable of generating a bill. When the bills finally did start coming there were several conflicting statements that came. We paid each one almost immediately - though it was hard to tell what we actually owed.
My father who switched to Direct Energy at the same time I did had ever worse trouble. In fact he only received his first bill after about 11 months when he and I decided we should move our service because Direct Energy is so incompetent.
That is when things really went wrong. They closed my account and sent me a final bill which I paid 2 weeks before it was due. Almost immediately upon cancellng my coverage I started receiving calls from 1-800-955-3103. When I would answer no one was there but it was clear it was an automated call. On July 3, 2009 my father mentioned to me that he had been receiving calls from an 800# that was driving him crazy because no one was ever there when he answered. He decided to call the # and found out that it was a collection agency looking for me. To be clear, I have not lived with my father for 20 years. As it turns out Direct Energy had turned me over to a collection agency at least 3 weeks before the bill was even due. The collection agency made many harassing calls to both my house and my father's house but NEVER left any messages. I was told these were "courtesy" calls, but no one can explain to me how this was courteous. This collection agency now has all my information including my SS#. Do yourself a favor and avoid them. There are too many better options out there than to deal with them.

Consumer Tips: Secure Personal Information