logo

LK Jewelry Designs http://www.promolk.com
Horrible Quality Ring, Worse Customer Service, RIPPED OFF
2. (1 hr 46 mins ago)
Jenna, the Astrologer
Don't fall for her emails
3. (2 hrs 11 mins ago)
Unauthorized charges

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Design Tech Homes, San Antonio / Spring Branch, Texas Complaints & Reviews - Poor construction & customer service

Design Tech Homes Contacts & Informations

Design Tech Homes

Posted:    DanRolin

Poor construction & customer service

Design Tech Homes, Texas
170 Mexican Hat Dr
San Antonio / Spring Branch, Texas
Phone: drolin@gvtc.com
Poor construction from framing to the tile floors. Issues include high electricity bills, the inspections promised were over looked, electrical plugs not wired, ac intake for the 1st floor was installed on 2nd floor causing high electrical bills, lighting not installed in proper place, water pressure way to high causing a water heater valve to malfunction, dip in roof,
sharp edges on the tile floor causing injury to feet, marble counter tops poorly installed, telephone jacks electrical not hooked up, outside brick poorly done, mortar color inconsistant, exterier siding poorly cut and installed, foundation has facial cracks, oven electrical not installed correctly, stain on door and stairway poorly applied, can see daylight through front door, sheet rock not properly installed not squared, contractors flooded house and carpet when installing sheet rock, just to name a few of the problems. Contractors did not speak english. I wonder how the could read the plans. Lots of errors in the framing because of this issue. We gave DTH a chance to fix the issues but the work kept getting worst and some of the issues were ignored. DTH's will not even return calls now. I WOULD AVOID DESIGN TECH HOMES AT ALL COST. HIGH END HOMES CONSTRUCTED LIKE LOW END HOMES. NOT WORTH THE MONEY SPENT. ITS REALLY THE CONTRACTORS POOR WORKMANSHIP. Contractors from framing, electrical, flooring, sheet rock installation and ac/heating should be accountable for poor workmanship...June 25, 2010
Comments United States Building, Construction
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Jun, 2010 by   Sean Dunbar -1 Votes
In response to the posts by Mr. Rolin Design Tech Homes would like to point out that any and all issues that have been brought to our attention have been addressed in a timely manner. When this post was read by DTH, we immediately contacted Mr. Rolin. It was determined through this conversation that he has not contacted DTH in a year for any warranty service whatsoever. When the call did come in a year ago, the warranty concerns were addressed and Mr. Rolin signed off the warranty call as completed. Since no warranty call was outstanding, I asked him if I could look into his A/C issue, as he described that as his most pressing issue, and he said that I could schedule that for him. That is in process now.

Secondarily, the other issues noted in the post were issues that came up during the process of the home construction and DTH management met with Mr. Rolin on more than one occasion to assist him and address his concerns. At the completion of the home DTH management met Mr. Rolin and his family at the walk through in order to make sure that his concerns had been addressed. Management was assured that while there had been issues that were less than desirable during the process, the home had been completed in a way that was consistent with the quality that he expected. To be fair, Mr. Rolin never liked the idea that there were workers on his home that did not speak English as their primary language, that the brick had to be redone in several places, or that the tile was not what he expected (although well within specifications).

Despite not being given the opportunity to assist Mr. Rolin prior to this post, DTH will address any issue that was not dealt with properly and is within warranty. It is important to DTH to try to meet every owner’s expectations and that will attempt to be done in this case.

Sean Dunbar, VP of Operations, DTH
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   Alex DTH home owner -1 Votes
I am a current DTH's homeowner. We built our home about 1 year ago. We had a great experience with DTH's. My wife & I felt the quality, service & price were very good. We were looking at a few different builders and decided on DTH's because of the Design process, energy features, price & quality. We felt DTH's provided the best all around value. The sales consultant was very knowledgeable and upfront about the complete process. DTH's were very organized and had every detail nailed down for us before we even started the home. Our construction manager (mike) was terrific! The communication was amazing and whenever we had any concerns he dealt with them right away.

We have built a new home before and understand what a bad experience is all about. We were concerned about building a new home becuase of our prior experiences(poor quality, NO communication, would not come back for warranty) we experienced all of these and more when we built our first home. This time we did our research. We checked with the BBB, called prior references and looked at homes under construction. We also had some specific needs for our design. Once we met with a few builders it was clear that DTH's had a superior process to help us with our design. The sales consultant helped us feel at ease by providing many references and explaining the building process in detail.

We have recently experienced our 1 year anniversary on our new home warranty! DTH's warranty has taken care of us. We only had a few issues but they did come back and return all calls/emails. We are very happy with the warranty.

My wife & I were just discussing not that long ago that Design Tech Homes was one of the rare instances in life that we we actually felt like we got more than what we paid for. We really truely believe this! I think alot of this came down to the fact that Design tech homes has a very buttoned down & originzed process. This process helped us feel much more comfortable right up front before we started and once we did start the communication was excellent, with very few instances of concern. Our prior experience when we built our first home was a process that was very disoriginized with poor communication.

We are very happy with DTH's and have already recommended them to friends and family. When I came across this site, I felt it necessary to offer my experience with DTH's.

Alex S.
Tomball TX
 10th of Dec, 2010 by   DISAPPOINTED DTH OWNER -1 Votes
Sorry but I have to agree with Mr. Rolin I am having the same issues with DTH They give everyone the same speech that Mr. Dunbar has given here when you bring up a problem all you get is that it is "within specifications"...There were several issues with our house that was not right and was brought up, but yet were still ignored and was pushed to sign-off on our house due to time constraints... Also in Mr. Rolin's defense we were told to wait until our warranty was almost up to call in all of our warranty claims in because it would only be fixed one time under warranty...
 31st of Jan, 2011 by   Tatih -1 Votes
I have been in the building industry for 15 years and have learned people who do not understand construction are usually the ones complaining. What detailed issues? Some builders, advise to wait a year to have typical settling cracks touched up, but builders never advise to wait to have "real warranty issues" ressolved.
 1st of Feb, 2011 by   Tatih -1 Votes
When you bash your builder you bash your value of your home!
 25th of Jul, 2013 by   sallybelle +1 Votes
We had our home built with DTH. I would not recommend using them for a custom built home. I have spent a lot of money repairing problems with our home. It was very difficult to get mistakes repaired within the year warranty as it comes out of the general contractors pocket rather than the company. I felt like I was a headache rather than a valued customer.
 14th of Aug, 2013 by   m72 0 Votes
I used DesignTech in Houston, Tx and was built a high quality home and
My electric bill is never over 175...They double insulated my home.
 14th of Oct, 2013 by   NofanofDTH +1 Votes
We got out before we were stuck with a home we are sure would not be worth the price. Having begun the process in November of 2012, we were told $438, 000. After we signed and gave them $5, 500 earnest money, $3, 000 for plans, $600 for soil samples, $300 for a septic design, the price increased to $576, 000. We deleted items to lower the price and the items we added were initially priced one way and increased after we signed. When we asked we were told we would only receive credit for deleted items at 75%. We constantly had to check the calculations since there were always incorrect prices. We were even advised by the designer to check everything. They asked us repeatedly to have our land appraised and move forward even though we never had a final price. Fortunately our lender would not order the appraisal until we got a final price. I spoke to DTH in Houston and advised we still needed the final price and have yet to receive one. This company is not worth anyone's time or money. Caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware". Do not give them money until you have a set price or better yet go somewhere else. We did and so far we are much happier with this process.
 2nd of Nov, 2013 by   Ferguson1 0 Votes
I had my home completed this last month by Design Tech Homes. The. Process was fantastic from sales thru completion. Tina was our sales person and she made the process easy and was truly a big help, in getting my wife to decide what our selections should be. My wife cannot make decisions easily and there design center along with Tina made the process enjoyable. When we started construction I was apprehensive at the start. Gabe Alaniz was our construction manager on our home. Gabe was a delight and kept us informed of the progress of our home. I can honestly say that we now consider Gabe a friend. He built us a wonderful home and we appreciate all of the effort that Gabe and Design Tech Homes put into our home. Thank you Design Tech Homes
 19th of Dec, 2013 by   KimOsull 0 Votes
I would have to live by the fact that people that are unhappy with the result of an investment tend to go more out of their way to express their feelings than satisfied customers. I would like to do the opposite. We built with DTH in Houston and Brian B. and Nathan were honest and came through with a very quality home. Sometimes we needed prices for special items that they did not have in their price book, but always were straight forward with the procedure and got us prices and options quickly. No complaints here. Great home and more than I expected to be honest. .. K. O'Sullivan. Katy, Tx
 5th of Feb, 2014 by   LStaud +1 Votes
Design Tech is too busy to build a home right now!!! They will promise anything up front to get business. I was told that in 7 months that I'd get a home within my budget. We are a year in to the process and still about 4 months from being done (my house is only framed). Our house is 30% over budget due to items that design tech overlooked foundation costs etc. They are friendly but too busy, I'd certainly have gone a different direction. We have friends that are also building with them and they are having the same problem.

Lance S.
Houston
 23rd of May, 2014 by   Grivers 0 Votes
Design just finished our home in ridgelake shores and is beautiful. Thank you Andrew and Brian for coming through from start to finish. Kudos!

-george rivers
 7th of Jun, 2014 by   MershonFamily 0 Votes
This review is a long time coming. We put down a deposit on our house in December 2012 but our house was not complete until January 2014! Before closing we had to choose the finishes, but prices on those were not disclosed for over a month and everything we picked was so expensive, we were well out of our price range. We had to downgrade pretty much everything and the price of our house still ended up being $40K over what we were promised. Because of the delays caused by DTH, we lost out on a better interest rate and it took 7 months and 3 different sales people to close our loan. We were promised that the house would be ready before Christmas but nothing was even started on our house until late August. By the end of September, we still had little more than framing finished. When we questioned anything, we were promised that contractors would be out to complete work and it was 2-3 weeks before we saw anything. The electrical inspection failed which caused even more delays. In November, our project manager quit the company. The new guy promised we would be in the house by the end of December but again, no one showed up when they were supposed to and the work that was done was substandard at best. They had to refloat the ceilings and walls in almost every room multiple times; pull up the carpet and resurface the concrete twice in several rooms because there were huge lumps; redo the tile backsplash twice (once because they replaced the wrong tile!); re-sand and repaint almost every interior door in the house twice; redo the mouldings in the common areas multiple times; correct crooked light fixtures, electrical outlets and light fixtures (they were ridiculously crooked!); the exterior landscape had to be regraded three times before they could get the drainage channels right and the ground was actually smooth; and the interior of the house took more than 10 trips for them to get the paint right. The painters were a slapstick group. They would not show up and when they did, they didn't paint everything or they would forget to pring paint (seriously!) or they would use a completely different color. It took over three weeks from the time we did the punch list, which took three rolls of tape and even our project manager said it was the worst finishing job he'd ever seen. Then it took weeks for them to fix everything and it might have been longer if I had not finally just contacted the owner of the company to complain. There were still issues though. The day we did our final walkthrough, we noticed a window seal had broken and that had to be replaced. Since then 4 more windows have broken seals and we are battling to get those replaced also. We hope they aren't all like this or that they all go within our warranty period because we have A LOT of windows in this house! The second day we moved in, our hot water went out and we discovered that both water heaters were completely corroded and had to be replaced. Luckily they did that within one day and we have not had problems since. Also our back door never closed properly. We noticed it early in the build process and pointed it out but we were told that it would be fixed when the weather stripping was installed. That was not the case since even after the weather stripping was in, there were huge gaps all the way around the door when it was closed. DTH came out to fix it several times before we closed and finally installed inch thick weather stripping to correct the problem. There was still a small gap though plus we were not able to close the door without slamming it shut and the children could not close it at all. When we complained, the door was warped and they would have to replace the whole frame as well as the door. They ordered the door and frame and it was delivered to our house in March. We contacted them and they said that was a mistake since it was supposed to go to them so they could paint it. They picked up the door and it took another month for them to paint it evidently. They made an appointment in late April to install the door but did not tell us so we could be here. We had to wait another two weeks for them to come back because they were too booked up. When they finally did come out, they just replaced the door, not the frame which took about 10 minutes. That could have been done MONTHS before if that was all we needed! Then in March 2013, two months after our move in, we noticed our air conditioning drain was dripping more than it should. There was a cracked drain pan and it had ruined the whole unit, causing it to have to be replaced. DTH subcontractors ordered a new unit but when it arrived, it was damaged and they could not install it. Then they accidentally labeled our case as complete even though we contacted them several times to tell them we were still waiting. It took until the end of May and they did not show up when they said they would, causing us to take a day off of work for nothing. When they did come out, they did not complete the install process properly and it took two more trips for them to do it right. I realize these are subcontractors but we don't have a choice since these are the ones DTH is sending us. We have a few other problems too, including a side door with a gap in the bottom that lets in rain but we will fix everything ourselves since DTH will take months and it will cost us more to take off work multiple times to have them come out and fix it. DTH talks a good talk until deposits are given and then they simply don't care anymore. I truly wish we had forfeited our deposit and gone with another builder. We have a lovely house but we had to battle them for a year to get it done and we live in fear of the next thing breaking. I would not recommend DTH to anyone. Ever.
 13th of Jun, 2014 by   Design Tech Homes 0 Votes
As the owner of Design Tech Homes, I am respectfully responding to each of Mrs. Mershon’s concerns. I will not dispute, nor deny the facts presented, and I am not absolving my company of its role in these matters. I am also personally displeased with the responsiveness on our end to many of their issues and am taking steps to improve our processes moving forward. However, I think it’s appropriate to provide additional details to help paint a more complete picture from the perspective of the builder and some of the trades involved.

Pricing - The final price quoted to all buyers when closing on a construction loan is only for the cost of the home itself. All costs related to this are fully disclosed, and the only time more money would come into play is when a customer makes changes after the construction has begun (which is fairly common).

Delayed Timeframes – Last year, the homebuilding industry saw its largest growth in housing starts, with numbers sharply increasing from 15, 000 to 30, 000 in a very short amount of time. All builders experienced increased delays, leading to customer dissatisfaction. This marked increase, coupled with major labor shortages throughout all trades, greatly contributed to extended delays and slower timeframes across the board. Houston and its surrounding areas have been directly impacted, as is substantiated by these recently published articles: Boom on Houston Notches More Housing Starts than the Entire State of California and Labor Shortages Hammer Rebounding Housing Industry. As a well-established and reputable builder, we were fortunate to be able to get the various trades to complete the work we needed to have done.

Failed Electrical Inspection – Ironically, the failed electrical inspection can only be attributed to one thing: the fact that we even conduct them, as they are not required by the counties. No inspection at all, equals no revelation of what may need to be corrected in the first place. So “failing” this self-imposed component of our building process, ultimately, turns out to be a very positive thing for our homeowners, as it ensures their electrical system has been properly installed, with all possible issues having been corrected.

HVAC – The contractor who installed the HVAC system, BMI, is one of the largest, most well-established companies in Houston. After personally contacting them to find out exactly what happened, the Mershons and I received the following responses and explanations:

]Mike,

Good morning! My apologies we didn’t connect on this yesterday. I checked into this house, after looking at the service history I found that the air handler that was installed had a cracked drain pan. We had to order the drain pan (it was back-ordered)…after waiting, we ended up changing out the entire air handler due to the wait. When they changed out the air handler there was a problem with the charge, we sent out one of our Service Department Supervisors to check out the entire system leak check and double check the charge. I will call the homeowner today to apologize for the length of time to get it repaired and offer them a free 1 year tune up and start their warranty from the date of the service department supervisor’s visit.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Respectfully, Denny Patterson – BMI

Mr. Mershon, I would like to reiterate my apology for your experience with our company and any reflection it had on Design Tech Homes. Design Tech is a great company and this is not how I, nor Design Tech, do business. I would like to make the situation right and get this fixed properly for you and your family so you can enjoy your Design Tech Home for years to come. I will replace your outdoor unit to eliminate any concern for future system failure, additional your warranty will start from the day of replacement. I hope this gesture will restore your faith in our company and additionally Design Tech. Once again my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you what day and time works best for you at your convenience to complete the replacement as mentioned above.

Please feel free to call or email with any questions.Denny Patterson Vice President – BMI

Windows – We have been using Simonton Windows on our homes for over 15 years now, and have had nothing but great results. Though I am unsure as to why this particular home has had more than one or two of their windows lose their seal, Simonton Windows offers a 10 year warranty, and will replace any window that loses its seal within that timeframe. This is one of the most expensive vinyl windows on the market. That cost is reflected by the quality they build into their windows, and through the warranty they provide.

In closing, I can say I have personally been to the Mershon’s home, and that I agree with their statement that it is, in fact, “well-built”. However, I take no pride in their overall experience and have done, and will continue to do, everything I can to rectify this situation. Design Tech has many satisfied customers and stands behind each of its homes. We’ve been doing business, through good times and bad, for 18 years, and are the ONLY builder that offers a 20 year structural warranty that is solidly backed by our inspections, engineering and Energy Star programs. Though we are not perfect, we have proven we are here for the long haul, and will always strive to deliver a quality product and positive homebuilding experience for our customers. We sincerely appreciate your business and wish you all the best in your new home.
 18th of Jun, 2014 by   MershonFamily 0 Votes
As the homeowner, I would like to respond to DTH's response. If this were just one or two things that had gone wrong, we would not have complained or posted a negative review. The additional details provided here do not change the fact that we have had nothing but problems dealing with DTH and their subcontractors and products. The booming housing industry only accounts for some of the delays we've had. A bigger problem is that subcontractors refuse to show up when scheduled and when they do, the work has often been substandard and they do a poor job fixing their mistakes if they fix it at all. This includes the workers who poured the foundation, built the roof, completed the electrical, floated the drywall, put in the trim, painted the interior walls and doors, cleaned the exterior of the house, and graded the ground around the house, as well as the installers for the water heaters, air conditioner, carpet, cabinets, tile, doors, ceiling fans, dishwasher, light fixtures, toilets, stove and vent hood, and kitchen cabinets. None of those things were done right the first time, the second time and in some cases they were never done correctly so we've just had to live with it. We have taken days off from our jobs to have warranty work completed and on more than one occasion, those contractors do not show up which causes us to lose time and money taking off work for nothing. BMI has replaced both the interior air conditioning unit (due to the broken drip pan) and the exterior unit (due to their negligence in installing the interior unit) but it took months of waiting, two days off work and four trips by four different groups of workers to have it done properly. This may not be the way they normally do business but it has been the way they have done business with us. Since I wrote that review, we have found that our dishwasher was installed incorrectly, causing a slow drip that has ruined one of our kitchen cabinets so the problems continue. We have had hassles getting basic warranty work done but we have received nothing but excuses and apologies, so I am confused how DTH is working to rectify the situation as the owner suggests. We don't think our expectations are too high or that we are being unreasonable. We have paid the same price for our home as satisfied customers who have not had such ridiculous delays and have not wasted vacation days to have warranty work done badly. Our house is lovely but it's a ticking time bomb of problems so I appreciate the owners promise to be in it for the long haul since clearly we are going to need it. I would love to come back with a more positive update but a couple of email apologies is simply not going to do much to change our experience with Design Tech Homes.
 19th of Jun, 2014 by   Very Frustrated 0 Votes
It looks like the only way to get Design Tech's attention is to post on this board. Design Tech are you there? We signed our contract with you in December, closed our construction loan about six weeks ago and ZERO progress on our house. The land hasn't even been cleared. We keep being told by the project manager (we are on the 2nd one now) they are waiting for things to be "released" by someone at Design Tech. Somewhere you have a huge problem - you need to find out who/what it is and solve it. Once the boom of building of current homes passes, all you will have left for the next lean times (and there are always lean times) will be your reputation. Your employees are destroying what you built. We are going to the bank who funded our loan to see how to substitute another builder. Hello? Are you there?
 19th of Jun, 2014 by   MershonFamily 0 Votes
As the homeowner, I'd like to respond to DTH's response. If this had been just a few problems or if our problems had ended once the house was finished, we would not have complained or posted a negative review. Other than an email apology last week, I am not sure what DTH has done or is planning to do to rectify this situation.

19th of Jun, 2014 by   Mershon 0 Votes

Since I posted the review, we have also discovered that our dishwasher was installed incorrectly causing a slow leak that has ruined one of the kitchen cabinets. Although the dishwasher was fixed quickly, we still haven't heard form DTH to schedule the cabinet repair. However, they do have time to find my reviews on the internet and create accounts so they can respond to them. If DTH were really concerned about my satisfaction, wouldn’t you think they would improve the level of service from what we have experienced from them in the past?

19th of Jun, 2014 by   MershonFamily 0 Votes
As the homeowner, I'd like to respond to DTH's response. If this had been just a few problems or if our problems had ended once the house was finished, we would not have complained or posted a negative review. Although Mike has time to respond on my reviews here and elsewhere on the internet as well as solicit more positive reviews on DTH's Facebook page, he has yet to contact us so I am not sure what he is planning to do to rectify this situation. We are still waiting for warranty work to be completed.

I don't believe that the issues we've had can be attributed to the booming housing market. Our project managers had subcontractors scheduled but they would not show up. Even when they did, the work was often substandard and either it took multiple trips to get things fixed or we just had to learn to live with their mistakes. This includes the workers who poured the foundation, put on the roof, ran the electrical, floated the drywall, did the trim, painted the interior walls and doors, put in the septic, dug the well, graded the exterior around the house, and cleaned the house (which we had to do ourselves before moving in), as well as the installers for the water heaters, air conditioner, windows, carpet, tile, toilets, ceiling fans, light fixtures, switches and outlets, dishwasher, stove/ vent hood, and kitchen cabinets. None of those things were completed on schedule or done correctly the first time, or the second time, or ever in some cases. Is this the kind of work DTH stands behind? Our air conditioner has been replaced as promised but it took several months of waiting, 2 days off work and 4 crews who came out 4 different times to complete the installation correctly. This may not be how they do business but it is how they’ve done business with us. We do appreciate the apology from BMI and the offer of a free 1 year check up. However, this does not fix our negative experience with DTH. Since I posted the review, we have also discovered that our dishwasher was installed incorrectly causing a slow leak that has ruined one of the kitchen cabinets. Although the dishwasher was fixed quickly, we still haven't heard form DTH to schedule the cabinet repair. However, they do have time to find my reviews on the internet and respond to them. If DTH were really concerned about my satisfaction, wouldn’t you think they would improve the level of service from what we have experienced from them in the past? It doesn’t help to hear that DTH has many other satisfied customers. We paid the same amount for our house as they did so why didn’t we get the same quality of service? Our expectations were not that high. We just wanted our house built correctly in the promised time frame. We don’t want to have to worry about the next thing breaking and we don't want to have to battle DTH to get things fixed. We would like to have people show up for warranty work when scheduled so we don't take the day off from work for nothing (as we've done several times). Even DTH admits that they are displeased with how we’ve been treated. I wish I could post a more positive update about how they are fixing our concerns but that is just not possible at this time. I appreciate that DTH intends to be in it for the long haul since clearly we are going to need it.
 25th of Jun, 2014 by   MershonFamily 0 Votes
You know it's funny. Mike has time to post here and on my other reviews, delete my review on DTH's facebook page and ignore my emails but he does not seem to be able to respond to me directly to try to make this right even though he says he is doing everything he can to rectify this situation. :( DTH cares more about their image than their actual reputation and customer service. I sure wish I could post a more positive update.

VIdeo Game Console Buying Guide