Dell Inspiron 1525

Posted:

Hard Drive Failures

4.45
Pennsylvania
I purchaed a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop on December 2008. In April of 2009 my hard drive completly failed for reason I still don't know. Rather than go through the B.S. of trying to get Dell to stand behind their warranty promises (I read the other complaints only after it failed) and all the wasted time and issues that always go along with trying to get any company these days to stand behind their product, I just went and replaced the 250mb Western Digital Scorpio Blue hard drive with a new one at a cost of $65. I also sucked up the lost family photos and itune songs thinking I had corrected the problem and the new hard drive. Low and behold, my new hard drive just failed on me as well in August 2009. Well enough is enough, I just listed the shell of my Dell laptop on ebay and shelled out the money for a new Apple MacBook Pro and the wireless backup drive. And even though it cost me more than my Dell did, I have read the writing on the wall and the outstanding reviews on the MacBook. I also no longer want to deal with the B.S. that seems to accompany a PC. My advice, avoid the Dell Inspiron 1525. I think it has an overheating problem that fries the hard drive after several months, either that or the hard drives are junk to begin with.
Complaint comments Comments (106) Complaint country United States Complaint category Computers & Accessories

Comments

13th of Sep, 2007 by    0 Votes

Dell / Xps M1330 - Damaged product shipped!
India

My strong recommendation to all, don't buy anything from Dell India. They have the worst customer service. They are only good at irritating and frustrating the customer so that we forgets complaining.

They shipped me a Damaged product and when i complaint to them, they argued with me that system is perfect without seeing it physically. I am placed in Mumbai and their customer service department is in Bangalore. I would say that they are simply idiots and don't know what they talk.

Be careful while buying. Its been 3 months and i am still fighting with them. Running to consumer courts.

Regards,

Yusuf Dohadwala
 10th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes

Dell Ink Cartridges - Terrible service!
Waterloo
Ontario
Canada

I just tried to order a simple black ink cartridge for a Dell 720 printer, since you can only get replacement cartridges through Dell. I tried purchasing on-line. The price was $32.99 incl. shipping, but they wanted me to sign up for a mastercard program in order to process my order. I didn't want to do that. I tried to call their 1-800 line and was told the price went up to $40.00 if I didn't purchase on-line, although I had the advertised on-line price right in front of me. What a scam - $8.00 more and a whole bunch of multi-level voice messaging you have to drill down through to get a customer representative who is unwilling/unable to match their own advertised price!! Then he had the gall to put me back into the call que and I had to go through it again.

To try to get anyone to talk to was a nightmare. There are no real representatives available. I think their call/product purchase centre is located elsewhere, besides Canada and they just don't give a 'hoot'. I wasted over an hour of my time trying to get a simple black ink cartridge that I could have run down to my local retail office supplies store to get if they had it in stock of if it had been any other printer. Thankfully, I found a compatible ink cartridge.

To Hell with Dell! I will never buy products that don't have easy access to part and accessories - especially a Dell printer. Their customer service sucks on the web, and on the phone! There is just no way for a customer to access this company except by being squeezed into their "customer/menu format" that fails miserably at addressing real people's needs.
 23rd of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes
Try this attorney, I wrote to them tonight!
E-Mail: mail@lchb.com
Firm Website: www.lieffcabraser.com

My Dell laptop actually burned my arm this time, after 3 trips in for repair of the same problem, and still it is faulty. It overheats, burns out the components inside. Now they tell me that my warranty has run out and I have to pay for tech support and any repairs, and shipping! Why would I believe they'd fix it this time because I'm paying for it? Why should I have to foot the bill for something they assured me less than 6 months ago was fixed? I'm not sitting here and letting them get away with this, I will do something or die trying. I spent a bit of time in tears today myself, after an hour on hold and of arguing with 2 of their tech support idiots. Someone needs to put this company out of business... with enough lawsuits for the harm they've caused, maybe there is hope that Dell will finally Die! Dell computers...spawned by Satan and attended to by his flock. Time for God to step in and squash them flat!
 24th of Apr, 2008 by    0 Votes

Dell Inspiron 530 - TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Dell

TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO SENIORS AWFUL! MUST BE ON PHONE FOR HOURS WITH REPRESENTATIVES WITH BROKEN ENGLISH - AND SPEAK FAST. IMPOSSIBLE TO FOR MY SENIOR MOTHER TO UNDERSTAND. WILL NOT COME OUT AND FIX COMPUTER AS PURCHASED THE "IN-HOME WARRANTY" AS PEACE OF MIND FOR HER. COMPUTER STILL NOT WORKING - ESTIMATING 20 PLUS HOURS ON PHONE WITH TECHNICAL SUPPORT

WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER DELL PRODUCT - IT'S A SHAME - I HAVE OWNED 7 PREVIOUSLY THAT WORKED PERFECTLY - AND RECEIVE ABSOLUTELY NO RESOLUTIONS FOR THIS ONE FAULTY COMPUTER.
 20th of Aug, 2008 by    0 Votes
i was dell fan but now no more... i have few systems from dell. but from last 3 shopping every time i get faulty system. they do free replacement but what is the use. it takes at least 10 to 15 days. now i have issue with XPS M1330. and this time i am planing to ask for refund for sure.
 11th of Nov, 2008 by    0 Votes

Dell - Product and Service
Texas

As someone who is A+ certified and pretty good at solving problems I don't understand why Dell is incapable of solving a simple problem. I was cut off with one tech and got another. This computer, a Dell 5150 desktop has had 3 motherboards, 2 batteries, and now a new useless hard drive. Below is my answer to someone who just noted that the tech called the wrong number.

This is taking too long to resolve! I paid for support. I shouldn't have to do this myself! If you send someone over to replace a part he should test it, he should have all the parts he needs and, since it's a hard drive with personal data on it, there ought to be instructions on how to transfer the data to the new hard drive. He should not be telling me his problems with fuel reimbursements. He should not be telling me he doesn't want to return to put the cable on. The hard drive should have been formatted! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!! DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WE WANT SUPPORT? I'M SICK AND TIRED OF THIS!!!

With all the time and money you are spending on this you should be sending me a new computer. This computer has had 3 motherboards including the one it came with. It now has a new hard drive. I'll say it again: I PAID FOR A SUPPORT CONTRACT, NOT A HIGH AND DRY, DON'T BOTHER US CONTRACT!!! I will never ever recommend a Dell computer to anyone. As soon as the contract I have with you is up I'm buying a Mac. This is not support: this is aggravation and it's for no reason. I want a working hard drive so I can be sure that when the original one dies I have a backup! I don't want to keep on going through this. Does anyone out there care enough to do their best to keep a customer happy?

-----Original Message-----
From: US_ACS_REL_Outstanding_Issues [mailto:US_ACS_REL_Outstanding_Issues@dell.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 12:44 PM
To: Alterman, Andrea
Subject: **DELL SUPPORT** REC WEB ESCALATION KANA:24999365FUSION:13285130 (DO NOT CLOSE)** (KMM89724576I57L0KM)

Good morning,

I see that the technician has noted in the case log that they will try again today. I will add this information so that they can be reminded to use your home number.

If you are unsuccessful reaching the technician within a reasonable amount of time I can assist you. However, I am available only during my working hours listed below.

Regards,

Brad - CBG/SMB Resolution Expert Center
Monday ? Friday 8:00 AM -5:00 PM CST
UID: 01994
Case: 625702561

Problem: The replacement hard drive is still not working properly or to my satisfaction. I was supposed to receive a call tonight to help me set it up. The technician called me at work LAST night under the mistaken impression that that was my home number. I had given her my home number and said that Tuesday would be a good night to do this.
 6th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
dell service is very bad
 11th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes

Dell Computer Corporation - Scam!
Dell Computer Corporation

I purchased a 2yr warranty from Dell when I bought my laptop, my battery died 2 weeks before the warranty runs out, this Feb. 16/09.They say the warranty does not cover it for the term of my warranty, ONLY 1yr on battery!!.They say no way, some of the 1505 computers are being recalled!! for battery problems, I sure have one, they even offer For An EXTRA charge I could talk to some one in the USA not some other foreign country, Plus they switch you from one operator to another one, YESSSS I'm Pissed, wouldn't you be !! Is this the case with All pc laptops!!
 3rd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

Dell Computeres - tech support
dell computers
Alabama

Dell tech support does the same test over and over after being told these test already have been completed to fix the same problem, having replaced three video cards, mother board, and hard drive due to the same problem and spending over 20 hours on the telephone to india finally had to demand a supervisor for 15 minutes to get to one who would listen. all the rest just wanted to run the same test and then say i did not buy the unit as one basically calling me a liar. finally they agreed to send a refurbished tower to replace the one i have only had less than a year. VERY POOR SUPPORT BY GATEWAY NEXT TIME
 3rd of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
Check out www.classadvocate.com. Click on Dell and see pending class action investigations and lawsuits regarding their service and computers.
 21st of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
Similar problem- Inspiron 1525 HD completely shat itself. SMART failures, overheating, PC freezing. Actually went through 1 hour of telephone diagnostics only to be told that I should buy a 3mm Philips screwdriver to remove the HDD myself in order to continue the telephone dignostics.
Despite purchasing warranty and 3yr support that includes "In-home service after Remote Diagnosis"..

They'll argue that the Remote Diagnosis isn't complete so they won't send out an engineer. I say they had an hour of my time performing diagnostic tests. That's enough. I'm not an engineer so I'm not going to unscrew a HDD. Funny thing is that it would take 10 minutes of a Dell engineer's time to suss out (admit what everyone suspects)- that the Inspiron 1525 HDD's are either of poor quality (overheating) or badly configured.

Have Dell really got so bad that they're asking home customers to buy a screwdriver ?
 26th of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I also have a dell 1525 and my hard drive just went bad (so I think). We had previously purchased a laptop dell 1501 brand new, messed up from the start. After hours on the phone and techs coming to my home; I told Dell I wanted a new notebook or my money back. They told me that they would send me a new notebook out. Since they didn't make the model they would send something out equivalent to what I had. I get the notebook, it's a 1525 refurbished!!! WHAT!! I paid for a brand new one!!! Ok so I said forget it, it does have extras like blue ray blah blah. I called and told them I wanted my warranty extended since they gave me a refurbished. They said they would til Oct 09. Ok today is Sept 26, 2009 and guess what the hard drive went out. Go to call and my warranty has ran out (they lied, why would that surprise me!) and so I'm stuck. My advise to all "NEVER BUY FROM DELL" they lie and the products are a piece of junk!!!
 5th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Dell Laptop - Service Provider Service
Dell Laptop
India

Dear Sir,

I would like to inform you, I bought a Laptop 1 month back(Oct) through your Business Partner Jimmy Sales(Computer Zone), Siwna, Bihar, India. I got some issue in laptop, then I visit your Business Partner Shop, He did not give me any
response, and he puzzled and irritated me . I sit 4 hrs in his office but he could not give any response. plz I am requesting to all Senior Officer of Dell's laptop to resolve the issue asap.
plz guide me where I have to go for any complian.

Rgds,
Anwar
 9th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes

Dell - Customer support
Silver Springs
Nevada

Dell and their customer support are horrible!!! You buy a computer then they nickel and dime you to death. You buy a new computer then have to pay hundreds of dollars for their hardware and or software help. I already paid hundreds of dollars to get a new computer and now they wont help you unless you pay $200 more for software help. What a bunch of (#$(#&.
I have been been on the phone or online with Dell for over 4 hours. They put you on hold until the phone disconnects and online they disconnect you.
I will NEVER EVER buy another dell computer. Creedy stupid asses is all they are!!!
 1st of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes

Dell Inc. - Frustrating experience
Dell Inc.
dell.com

I cannot put into words how dissatisfied I am. I bought a Dell laptop back in 2005 and 2 weeks out of warranty, something in the motherboard shut down. I paid for a new laptop since they refused to fix it since it was supposedly out of warranty. I had to purchase a new laptop, allegedly at a discounted rate since I did talk to over 30 reps trying to either receive a replacement or get my old fixed. I called every day for over 2 months!!!and my computer, after I paid, came back twice to me unfixed. When I received a new laptop, I had lost my job since my hard drive was not salvageable and i did not have access to a computer over 2 months!!! Did they care? Was I compensted? Hell no. I could not believe that they continually sent the laptop back to me in the same condition even after I had paid Dell. I was soooooo frustrated...not to mention all dell services were in either India or Canada...they had no regard for my issue. Now, three months later I am having issues with this laptop where they only provided me with trial periods for the services I had initially paid for and I do not have access to the documents for work. Another job gone!!! I have called 4 times and no one has returned my call. i paid for all of these features. Seriously, don't buy Dell products, they could give a shit whether you are happy or pissed. They have no customer service and they take any matter lightly. Hope this helps people because this review was to warn others.
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Dell Inspiron 1525, bought brand new and within 2 months the hard drive crapped out... it was replaced under warranty and 11 months later.. you guessed it... crapola! Dell will not stand behind their products, they are too busy sucking hard earned dollars out of the pockets of unsuspecting consumers.
 28th of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
I don't know what the hell is wrong with this damn Inspiron 1525, but reading all over the rest of the reviews let me know that DELL GOT ME GOOD! Im a person who uses my computer for hours at a time a day, and sometimes can go a while without shutting d0wn. N0w, its freezing up, hard drive problems, and on top of that I'm tried getting rid of programs to see if they were the problem. My advice to anyone, stick to HP or Gateway, these DELL bastards are screwing people and not really giving a damn about it. And then want to charge you if your product is pass warranty...BASTARDS!!!
 23rd of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I didn't realize there were this many issues with Dell Inspirion. I purchased mine in Sept 08, the motherboard failed Sept 09 before the warranty expired and then a few months later the hard drive crashed. I was told it was because of a virus. However, after reading all of your responses, I see that it's a feature of Dell. Now I'm contemplating whether or not to buy a new hard drive because the inevitable is going to happen and that's called FAILURE. The unfortunate thing about it is that I am not in a position to buy a new PC. Decisions, decisions... Well when I am, I'm going to convert to Apple... You get what you pay for.
 25th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes

Dell - Truly shocked
dell.com

I placed an order on 12/26/08 for a desktop for myself and on 12/27/08 I placed an order for a laptop and a desktop for my sister. This morning I noticed that my sisters order was showing in production and mine was still processing even though mine was placed a day earlier. I decided to contact Dell to find out if there was a problem with my order and that is where the nightmare began. 3.5 hours later still no answer and I have been disconnected 3 times and transferred 4 times. I am so disgusted with Dell all I want to do is cancel the orders and share my bad experience with everyone I no. I am truly shocked that a company this large would have horilbe customer service.
 27th of Jan, 2010 by    0 Votes
I got a Dell Inspiron 1525 as a gift in March 2009. I was happy with it. Than about a month or so on it stopped recognizing the dvd rom drive. Lucky for me I managed to figure out how to get it working by reinstalling the driver for that online. - and I found out from other owners that the dvd rom problem was a common one for this model. I had problems with keys sticking or coming loose from the keyboard- luckily I could fix that myself. Things were more or less fine until one day in August 2009 the hard drive failed. - So I got about 6 months? of use out of a new computer?? How shabby is that?? I found out what a hassle Dell's tech support/customer service could be, and since I got it as a gift from a friend, I didn't want to worry about having it sent off for repairs and so on. I suspect it over heated. It often ran warm despite proper ventilation. Anyway I shelved it and relied on my old PC until I could get around to replacing the HD. I managed to get a good 500GB drive for around $100 at a local electronics store and installed it myself. I handle the thing with kid gloves and baby it- and I wonder how long the new HD will even last. I've noticed a lot of complaints about hard drive failure with the Inspiron. in online forums. I suspect it is bad design, low quality parts, and careless assembly at the factory. Its a great looking machine with good features at a reasonable price, - when the thing actually works! After my experience with the DELL Inspiron- I cannot recommend buying one. Opt for another brand- there are comparable models out there that are more reliable- and cheaper probably.

Dell  Logo Dell