logo

AMI Energy Solutions
Fraud/Scam
2. (4 mins ago)
Walden University
cost, lack of response, grievance filed without so much as an acknowledgment...the list goes on!
3. (10 mins ago)
Freelotto
NO PAYMENT
4. (21 mins ago)
www.robecart.com
Impossible to reach the seller, but this jerk didn’t provide orders
5. (28 mins ago)
foreclosure.com
My house is not for sale

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

David Weekley Homes Complaints & Reviews - Houses are total disaster!

David Weekley Homes Contacts & Informations

David Weekley Homes

Posted:    Christina

Houses are total disaster!

We purchased a David Weekley home based on promises and representations made by the sales staff, marketing materials, past awards and your reputation in the Tampa area. Let me outline the list of problems that we have had or still have with what was to be our dream home. This list is by no means inclusive of our problems, but rather a mere sampling.

1) Told by sales staff on 3 occasions, there was a front porch across house. It doesn’t have one.

2) We were supposed to have a full lanai in back. After moving across country from California, we find out that 8 feet of our lanai houses two air conditioning units. We were not told this or formally notified of a design change until 3 months after we signed a contract. We were not given an option to have the units placed elsewhere. Several houses on the same street have units placed by master bedroom.

3) There are major structural issues with the house.

4) The roof trusses are jimmied in to fit, rather than flush.

5) The roof is so uneven that it looks like there are waves on our house.

6) The foundation is not level. In some spots, it is an inch higher than the surrounding area.

7) There are several large (1/4”-3/8”) cracks in the foundation

8) There are several major design problems. For example, the cabinet in one bathroom protrudes into the molding around door. The door was not placed far enough to one side to account for the cabinet. We were told all the Tyson units are designed this way.

9) We were told that we had a 3 car garage, yet the third space is taken up by air conditioner units.

10) There is not a straight wall in our house. Some walls bow in 1-2”.

11) There is not a molding in the house that is mitered correctly.

12) We have a severe erosion problem in the back yard.

13) Windows are so uneven that there are some windows that the top and bottom measurement differ by 1-2”.

14) We were told by a David Weekly employee that “green wood was used”, causing many of the problems, including the uneven walls and windows.

15) Interior walls were not placed correctly, resulting in several rooms that are off on one side by 2-3”.

16) Water softener plumber forgot to include a drain.

17) We never got a paint touch up set.

18) We still don’t have a listing of all the numbers to call for repairs, or a listing of our colors. We didn’t receive our homeowner portfolio until the day of closing.

19) The main wall in the Great Room was so uneven and bowed; the warranty department had to put crown molding to cover up fixes. We were originally told that David Weekly was going to put crown molding in the entire room, but when the fix occurred, it was only put in on the wall and let unpainted. So we had to pay to put it on the other walls and paint it.

20) Condenser units installed incorrectly.

This is merely a sampling of the many errors. So we go through the process with the warranty department. Nothing is ever fixed the first time. In many situations we have had to have work done on items 3-4 times. For example, the side porch, it took them 4 times to fix and it is still not right. Not to mentioned, during one of the fixes they splattered paint on our walls and our neighbor’s walls. This has yet to be repainted. Or the tile guy uses the wrong color grout (not even close enough in color to try an argue it is a dye lot issue) so all the repairs are noticeable.

Employees spend more time blaming someone else than actually fixing the problem. For example, to repair the poor miter cuts in the molding, the painters were supposed to repair and repaint the molding. They repainted the molding but told us the carpenter had to fix the molding. The carpenter, of course says it is the painters responsibility.

To add insult to injury, we have had items stolen from our house by your employees. My husband is self-employed, so when he is there supervising your staff to ensure that the items get fixed and we are not robbed, he is loosing money. The few times when items were actually repaired, the repairman usually break something else in the process. For example, the molding guy damaged several of our tiles by throwing his power tool on the floor when putting up the crown molding in the great room and repairing the baseboards around the island in the kitchen.

We are not some picky homeowners, or as we were told by one of your employees “Boy, California must have good building codes, because the problems you have are nothing compared to what gets built in Florida”. All I wanted was a house constructed with appropriate materials and built by competent employees. I understand there are always going to be minor repairs and problems with a new house. Our problems are not minor. Other David Weekly homeowners in Wilderness Lake Preserve Phase II have expressed similar concerns.

Company details:

Job #: 38150097

Purchase Date: April 02, 2005

Move-in date: October 31, 2005
Comments United States Real Estate
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Jun, 2008 by   Sai 0 Votes
In our subdivision there is an artificial community lake that had serious engineering flaws and as a result was drained. For six months instead of having a lake in our backyard as promised when we bought the house, we had a nasty basin with a shallow moat infested with various disgusting creatures. Our home values dropped as a result and our neighborhood was an embarrassing sight to everybody. We sued the homeowners association and David Weekly in a class action lawsuit but the judge dismissed it on the grounds that David Weekly "promptly" fixed the matter (by promptly I mean after 3 months of nothing and 3 months of caterpillars and bulldozers tearing up the basin).

Writing from Chelsea Harbor subdivision in Sugar Land TX
 7th of Sep, 2008 by   Blake Barrett -1 Votes
We have owned 4 David Weekley Homes and have NEVER had a problem with any of them. As far as I'm concerned they build one of the best products on the market. BTW - It's Weekley
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   micmac 0 Votes
We have a David Weekley home in Texas where the flashing was not installed correctly on a faux balcony. It has been a 5 year nightmare of trying to get Weekley to repair it properly. Part of the problem is the staff changes constantly in the Warranty office and they do not own up to the repairs and blame it on other people. We are contemplating civil action because I am fed up with them.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by   HenryHook -1 Votes
David Weekley has the highest turnover in the homebuilding business, this is the source of many of their issues. When I built my home with them in 2007 I had 5 different building superintendants and 3 different salesepeople. The ones that are still there are constantly afraid of losing their job.

I honestly don't see how this company has such a good reputation. For one...the floor plans that they tout so highly are severely flawed. Most have small pantrys, small closets, and tiny secondary bedrooms. I dare you to go to some of their model homes and fit just a full size bed in the secondary bedrooms.

Also, almost everything in their homes are upgrades. Just ask one of their salesepeople to tell you what is an upgrade in the model...watch how quickly they skirt the issue. Don't believe me? Ask the salesperson if the LIGHT on the ceiling fan is standard !!! Guess what...it's not.

I could go on and on. My experience with them has been horrific and I will never purchase another David Weekley home again. I also tell all my friends the same. It was in short...a NIGHTMARE.
 5th of May, 2010 by   Hoodwinked by Weekley -1 Votes
I couldn't agree more with the complaints I've read about David Weekley Homes. They have to be the worst excuse for home builders on the planet. All the complaints I'm reading here are the same old story, nightmare actually, that I am living. I recently had a Weekley home built and it is the worst decision I ever made in my life.
I guess I'll have to sue if I want to try to get anything done about it.
 26th of May, 2010 by   Joe Zacha -1 Votes
I bought a David Weekley home and have had major foundation issues . Our bathroom tiles started to pop up and we went to replace it. We found out why the tiles were popping up - the foundation was never properly cured and instead of rock hard concrete, we have concrete that you can dig through with your fingers. They tiled right over it, instead of fixing the problem!!!
 13th of Jul, 2010 by   dshirleym 0 Votes
I too have had nothing but major problems since the day we moved in, when the doorknob fell off the front door and we could not get in. That should have been a warning and we should have turned and ran. Walls bowed, electrical outlets tripping the breakers, a huge plumbing leak in the laundry room, second floor shower leaking into ceiling of first floor x 2. Master bath tile floor cracked across room because sub floor was not secured. Tile grout was wrong color. The commode was not secured to the floor. The list was three pages long. We are currently dealing with a roof leak that as of yet no one has replied back to us about. The last time, a year ago, I was told maintenance needed to be done on the vents in the roof to prevent leaks. I paid out hundreds of dollars. The house is not even 5 years old. I too thought my dream home was being built but it has been nothing but a nightmare.
 18th of Aug, 2010 by   Weekley1 0 Votes
YEP!!! Give a wet back a hammer and call em a carpenter!!!
 18th of Jun, 2011 by   Stephan Barrett 0 Votes
I'm curious as to where you all purchased your David Weekley Home? I live in a David weekly Home and LOVE IT!! I live in Baldwin Park in Orlando Florida and several of my friends also own a David Weekley Home and are quite pleased. I would recommend them to anyone. Not only do they have the best service and sales staff, but if you have issues, they do their best to fix any problem that occurs. Have you all called the Centralized Warranty about your issues? Owning a home no matter who the builder is, will have some responsibilities on the homeowner. Any of these issues above could happen with any builder! At least David Weekley fixes the problem, or tries to. There is a reason why they are rated an A+ by the Better Business Bureau. I love my home and David Weekley! Thank you for building my dream home for my family!
 29th of Jun, 2011 by   JHud 0 Votes
We are lucky our house has not burned down due to the terrible and dangerous wiring done by David Weekly contractors. We did not realize how poorly our house was built until we started updating our light fixtures and ceiling fans. PATHETIC! When our bathroom track lights were installed, the contractor took a hammer and knocked a large (14 inch X 6 inch) hole in the wall and installed without an electric box in the wall. Just a plain flush mount. Neither light was grounded. 2 of the 5 ceiling fans were not properly grounded. David Weekly came out a few times and tried to fix wiring issues but never could figure them out...half ass fix. Continued to have problems. As a result of poor wiring behind the master bath shower wall, I starting getting an electric shock while taking a shower and touching the shower head (This was 6 years after being in the house and only a matter of time). Not a little shock but a pretty good jolt. David Weekly came to my house and instead of fixing it properly, they knocked a hole in the wall, and then bypassed the the line by cutting a hole in the brick on the OUTSIDE of my house and bypassing the electric line about 6 to 8 feet. Looks terrible on the side of my house. The touch up on the wall and paint where they knocked a hole in the wall is awful and doesn't even closely match. Air conditioning ventilation in the attic was very poor craftsmanship and design before I had someone come fix. I found 2 drop clothes used by contractors, one under the insulation in the attic and 1 in the door under the sink that goes to the bathtub jet motor. 1 had urine stains and both had trash (half eaten sandwich) wrapped up inside. Yummy! The wiring in the garage and sprinkler system was SEVERELY screwed up and cost me about $1000 having people come and look at it. Broken bottles, wood trimmings and trash under the sod was continually found in the yard. This was my family's first house. We were very young and naive and should have research better and had an outside inspector come and take a look. We will not make this mistake again nor will we EVER come close to a David Weekly home.

Johnnie - Fort Worth, TX
 25th of Sep, 2011 by   flygirl737 0 Votes
We have spent 5 months working with DW on a custom home in Castle Hills and finally gave up...after selling our house they kept giving us the runaround about the price...we made no changes on our end but they kept raising the price. Then they wanted more deposit money...we finally walked away...what a waste of time. I will NEVER build with Weekley. Their sales people make promises...even in writing and they the company will not honor them. We took a loss on our current house just to sell it...now we have to go find another one. Plus they are trying to keep our earnest money!
 12th of Mar, 2012 by   Kevin Facon 0 Votes
If these clowns are actually A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau (as someone claimed above), then the BBB must be a scam. I've never owned a David Weekley Home, but as a designer, I've been in several. The floorplans are awful, with cramped spaces and poor placement. Their finish-out is cheap garbage, even when the house itself is half a million dollars plus, and in a lakeside setting! The home I was in today had 80s-style pink brick on the fireplace and ugly 4" tile on the countertops. Tile, with grout, in a kitchen today? The island was so close to the wall you could barely pass between them. I'm no foo-foo design snob either; I don't care if you have laminate in your kitchen or your home is small - when done properly, there are many ways things can be cool. But David Weekley doesn't understand any of them. It's clear that all they care about is profit. No one who took pride in their work could put such junk in a home as they do, and take almost no effort to think about how the people living in the house will feel.
 25th of Jun, 2012 by   sean.white 0 Votes
Bought a short-sell with my brother in July of 2011. Since the inspection which was done by anyhome inspection services of Tampa, FL by an amateur young kid we 1 year later now have a roof which is leaking and stage 1 mold on the interior sheathing of the roof. I'm recently BPI certified and soon to be a licensed realtor and i know that David Weekly homes doespoor quality and sloppy work on roofing. The drainage system also is inproperly done. Seeking legal help and may sue. WOod rotted out and shingle began sinking. When on ladder and looking at other homes in the neighborhood i see the same problem developing on other homes. The amount of slag around the foundation and random large 4x4 pieces of wood in the ground was disturbing too when i started digging up stuff to do landscaping. Gathering up numerous inspections from roofers and contractors and will be threatening David Weekly Homes with compensation for the damages from a home built only 5 years ago.
 3rd of Jul, 2012 by   Girlfriend2732 +1 Votes
I wish I had time to list all of the problems we have had with our WEAKLY home (and yes I know I spelled it wrong) My heart goes out to you. Many of my neighbors have had the same amount of issues that you have listed. I just had to have my shower pulled only to find out they did not include a shower pan and it has been leaking since we moved it. Shocked I am not. we have had to move out to have all the widows replaced because they did not install them correctly. Mold was growing everywhere in my house. Foundation issues, Cracking walls...the list goes on and on. I warn everyone that mentions this builder to steer clear. They are the worst in the industry.
 14th of Aug, 2012 by   weekly curious 0 Votes
has anyone done a build on your own lot contract? had to break it? get your initial earnest money back?
 12th of Mar, 2013 by   Dezign 0 Votes
Recently, our main line pipe broke due to tree roots. Large trees are planted to sell home, then later the tree roots break pipes causing many thousands od damage. In our case over $29, 000 due to sewer water backup. This has been a nightmare. Through the process, while the yard and driveway were dug up, found out there was no rebar in the driveway as it should have been, trash in the interior walls, and lots of other issues. We learned that some of our neighbors have had the same problem in Valley Ranch, Irving, TX. We were told by our very competent plumber that every house will need to be done at some point. Planting these huge trees is totally irresponsible. We have been out of our house for almost one and a half months and project is only 65% complete. Our insurance company is covering the water damage because we randomly decided to upgrade our policy 2 months before. We were lucky. However, our lives have been put on hold with lots of aggravation. I would never recommend a Weekly home. It's all smoke and mirrors as far as we can see!
 15th of Mar, 2013 by   redx2 0 Votes
Our David Weekley Home experience has been a nightmare with many systems failing and in disrepair. Going to DW to get them fixed has been a nightmare too. Now, the tile in our master-bath is cracking and falling off the walls. Here we go again!
 21st of Mar, 2013 by   Karen-DWH disaster 0 Votes
We are going through the same problems. Total nightmare. We purchased DWH in the spring of 2012. The house was aready in 3 months time. Could not believe it, to good to be true and I was right. They build houses like crap. No pride in anyones work. Still going through repairs for eight months now. We came to Florida from New York to retire and had nothing but people coming in and out since. That's if you can get them here. House still needs lots of repairs and getting the warranty people and coporate to do anything is like pulling teeth. It's a total mess. Very angry with DWH. List is unbelievably long. The hits just keep on coming. There answer to everything is patch it. Well, they just want to put lipstick on a pig and call it a day. I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing a DWH to run the other way!!! and fast. My whole block are DWH's and all the houses that were built the same time as ours and after all have the same complaints, same issues. They put the houses up in 3 months time, all they were interested in was the almighty dollar not caring about the familes that were going to live in them, It's a disgrace what DWH's are doing to hard working families who want to have the american dream of owning a home and not having to get ripped off. We just want what we paid for!!! They need to step up and and compensate the familes who purchased DWH's for there lost time, broken dreams and aggravation.
 18th of Apr, 2013 by   Steve Griffith 0 Votes
I purchased my David Weekley Home in February of '08 here in Roanoke, Texas. And although I'm pleased with the floor plan, as mentioned above, the bedrooms (other than the master) a ridiculously small. At the end of my buyer orientation, after I closed escrow, I was handed a sheet of paper entitled "Why is there condensation on my window sills?" It went on to explain it is the inherent nature of windows on cold days to have condensation & if not cleaned "it is quite possible mold or mildew will begin to grow." Found out the next morning what this meant, every window sill had puddles of water. I went around and wiped them down. This went on for about a week until I figured out to take rolled up towels & place them on the sills. And that is how it's been ever since, for about 5 months, rolled up towels on the sills to absorb the condensation. Bad enough, but what is absolutely infuriating and inexcusable is DWH changed their windows from aluminum framed to vinyl the month before I closed escrow. Vinyl framed windows do not have the condensation problem. I've called and written numerous times and gotten the professional run around. "The house is new and still drying out. It's what we were using then. Turn your FAU and bathroom vent fans on." It comes down to this: David Weekley Homes knew they had a serious problem with aluminum framed windows and continued to install them when the remedy was easily available. I thought it was save to take down the towels a couple of weeks ago, but we've had a couple of rain storms and I'm back to going around in the morning wiping the sills down, half way through April. Caveat emptor!!!
 4th of Aug, 2013 by   CoyoteSimmons 0 Votes
They have just started building in Salt Lake City and we were excited because their prices were pretty affordable. We have not signed anything or given them any money. I was excited and now I am scared. Are these problems going on with the contractors they hire or the company itself? Why didn't the inspectors catch these issues when the homes were being built? Any comments would be appreciated!

5 Reasons You Should Join a Credit Union This Week