logo

Santander Consumer
over charging on loan
3. (54 mins ago)
Nutribullet
Don’t be the next victim!
4. (1 hr 47 mins ago)
Buyer beware!

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

C.TIRE /YARDWORKS, Toronto, Ontario Complaints & Reviews - 24V CORDLESS LAWN MOWER BATTERY MODEL 60-1767-6

C.TIRE /YARDWORKS Contacts & Informations

C.TIRE /YARDWORKS

Posted:    KINDO

24V CORDLESS LAWN MOWER BATTERY MODEL 60-1767-6

Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Purchased a Canadian Tire YARDWORKS 24 V cordless lawn mower May 04 2007. Worked well last summer. Stored over the winter as per instructions on page five of owners manual ie. Store fully charged for not more than 6 months with the average temperature below 10 c. This spring lawn mower would not take a full charge and would not hold a charge making it impossible to cut the lawn in one session. Took the top off the mower only to find that one of the two 12 volt cells is distorted in appearance, the other one is fine. I called Yardworks toll free help line only to be told that I had improperly stored the mower and the damage to the battery was my fault. A replacement would cost $120.00. The battery actually needs to be charged every two weeks during the winter according to the Yardworks help line.
I spoke to an individual who works for a battery company located within the GTA and he indicated that proper storage for the battery was exactly as I had done. Store fully charged in an unheated storage shed
at winter temperatures in my area.

CONCLUSION : YARDWORKS is using poor quality batteries in their products which subsequently have a high failure rate. This is not an uncommon problem. I have experienced it with automotive batteries as well BUT the difference is this the automotive battery supplier stood behind their product and replaced it.
YARDWORKS DOESN'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE CHEAPER BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPLY BUILT. DO NOT BUY YARDWORKS PRODUCTS!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...WITH YARDWORKS YOU GET GRIEF !!!
Comments Canada Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Aug, 2008 by   tilallr1 0 Votes
Have the exact same problem as you. Stored properly over winter and dead in the spring. When I needed it too. Brought to Canadian Tire only to be told that I had to deal with Yardworks support. Called several times, and never got a phone call back. So was forced to buy a replacement battery for $100 !!! CRAZY !!! So after about 3 months of use it began to have less and less of a charge till now it is dead. AGAIN!!! NO WINTER. The batteries suck. Wonder if I can replace batteries in casing myself??? Any suggestions?

Please note that the replacement battery container is very generic and you can easily swap your bad battery with the newly purchased replacement battery and return to Canadian Tire. If you want.
 26th of Aug, 2008 by   bob 0 Votes
I am currently going through the same issue...although I haven't contacted YARDWORKS yet as I am just now discovering that I am not going crazy but that it is an issue with the lawn mower.
 1st of Sep, 2008 by   Pierre 0 Votes
Same issue, purchased one in May 2007 at CT Kirkland Quebec, stored properly over the winter in my heated garage and now will not hold a charge beyond a few minutes.
 13th of Sep, 2008 by   MJ Brown 0 Votes
Same problem I had. Yardworks sucks!
 13th of Sep, 2008 by   Gerry Degenhardt 0 Votes
Bought a 24V 60-l767-6 cordless lawn mower in May 2007, battery never held charge properly. Was told we were doing it wrong. Stored lawn mower according to instructions over winter of 07-08 . When tried to use mower in spring of 08, battery never worked at all. Canadian Tire order new one for us because they no longer sell them. Waited 7 weeks, got battery but it was the wrong one, so they had to send it back. Waited another few weeks, got fed up and called yardworks direct. Had right battery four days later, but had to pay 126.00 for it as it was no longer under warrenty after all this hassle. Went to use lawn mower today Sept/o8 and front wheels fell off. Husband says he is throwing it out and not ever buying yardworks again. Everyone is right YARDWORK PRODUCTS STINK.
 5th of Oct, 2008 by   Dave 0 Votes
Purchased my 24v Yard Works May 2006. Got 2 full summers out of the battery before it died in the spring 2008. I purchased a replacement battery in May 2008 from Canadian Tire for $100.00.
This battery lasted until the end of August when it also would not fully charge. The battery would show all 3 green lights on that indicated it was fully charged and then as soon as I started using it in the mover the battery would be completely drained in less than a minute. This has eneded my experiment with a cordless mover.
 28th of Oct, 2008 by   Doug 0 Votes
As per you're comment on

at winter temperatures in my area.

The battery is a Lead Acid battery and with that needs to be charged more oftin then once every 6 months or it will deplete itself. I have had my unit for well over 2 years now, and follow the charges through the winter perfect and have had no problems. If you did not charge you're battery through the winter season that will cause damage.
 10th of May, 2009 by   ted 0 Votes
Had the same problem... even on the second battery! Did what the instructions said, charged it every two weeks over the winter. Used it for the first time last week and it wouldn't even make it through half of my front yard ( which is very small! ) These rechargable lawn mowers suck! The first one I had was a black & decker and it sucked too. From now on... sorry about the environment. I think I'll have to get a noisy gas guzzler so I can at least do my whole lawn in one day.
 11th of May, 2009 by   yard works 0 Votes
I bought a yard works mower last summer I bought the battery in the house to store over winter and charge it on a regular basis.I took it out last week to cut my grass and I only got to do one strip then it died.I was truly very disapppointed in this mover.I am a single woman I thought this mower would be great no gas or oil, no electric cord to run over but it sure did let me down.
 20th of May, 2009 by   cruisetheblues 0 Votes
Same thing in Halifax; stored as directed, unable to use this year. Is anyone getting any satisfaction out of C Tire or Yardworks? I hate to just throw it out and buy a gas machine.
 23rd of May, 2009 by   humphreg 0 Votes
This mower was recalled in 2003 due to fire hazard caused by battery connection design. Look up the CBC.ca Marketplace article. Of course CTC kept selling them anyway until they were out of stock. I know since I bought one also.
 29th of May, 2009 by   Netz 0 Votes
I have the same problem, battery will not hold a charge. Mower is two years old. Does this mean you have to buy a $ 120.00 battery every two years.

I bought a reel mower and will use it, tired of problems with gas and electric. Probably be saying the same thing with the reel mower next summer.
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   dan in sask 0 Votes
Fully agree - shitty support! Bought the 14" mower in 2007...by midyear 2008 the battery would only last for half a front lawn...Canadian Tire here swapped me the battery from their floor model (which seemed to charge but never had a green light - only amber or red).

Now this battery is dead and neither CTire nor Yardworks will supply a battery under warranty. Want me to buy one at $120. Half the price of the mower when they put it on sale!

At this rate, buying a battery a year, and disposing of the old, I would be more enviromentally friendly running a sorely out of tune diesel powered mower!

Very unhappy with quality, and support. Will remember the name YardWorks as a "to be avoided atall cost" brand.
 2nd of Jun, 2009 by   Matt 0 Votes
Wow... at least I'm not alone. Ugh, that doesn't make it any better.

I bought one of these pieces of junk in May 2007. It was a refurb model at Crappy Tire and it cut my lawn exactly once before dying. I brought it in to the store and they sent it to a local guy for repair. A month later I picked it up and managed to cut my lawn maaaaybe two times. Then the same thing... battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 minutes.

I took this refurb unit back in to Crappy Tire and spoke a manager. He agreed that the refurb unit was a lemon and allowed me to pay the difference in price for a brand new unit. Yay! This one worked for the rest of the season, which was maybe 2 cuts.

Next spring (2008) same old problem. Of course I had stored it as per the manual instructions which, given what I've read above, are wrong. I risked yet another hernia chucking the machine in the back of my jeep. Off for another local repair, I got it back last summer. Shockingly, exact same problem. 2 cuts and done.

Frustrated, I kinda gave up and ignored it until now. I just got back from yet another visit to Crappy Tire to see what could be done. The "customer service" guy was totally clueless and some guy in a suit wandered over. He explained to me that these batteries are "expected to fail after 1 year" and that I should buy a new battery as part of routine maintenance. To make me feel better he also said that this was to make up for the fact that I didn't have to pay for oil or gas. I laughed at him and said it was a joke that Crappy Tire keeps selling these units. He agreed which wasn't really much help.

So now I'm stuck. I have this useless behemoth sitting in my garage yet again. I don't want to waste $150 on another battery knowing that it will die in a few months time. And I can't justify selling it to anyone knowing what I know. Unless I can sell it to a Crappy Tire rep in a suit. That I'd be ok with.
 5th of Jun, 2009 by   Mac 0 Votes
Worst support from Yardworks and CT. Got a run around from the store to the call center of yardworks.
 5th of Jun, 2009 by   Mac 0 Votes
Can these emails be sent to CT or yardworks ? CT claims that the product has two years warranty and the battery 1 year. Yardworks is stealing from people by reporting and collecting more money. I am sure CT gets a commission for each battery sold.

I am going to call someone in the ministry and see what they can do.
 5th of Jun, 2009 by   Mac 0 Votes
Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed ?
 15th of Jun, 2009 by   Nik 0 Votes
I bought the Yardworks 24V cordless last summer. Yesterday, the battery finally died. It worked well last summer, but this spring the battery would hold a charge less and less.
I thought I was doing the right "eco" thing by buying cordless, but I'm not dishing out $120 a year for a battery. So yesterday I bought a noisy gas mower.
Do not buy any cordless mowers! Not only do you waste money on batteries, but they have no power - if you don't mow your lawn every week you're screwed!
 30th of Jun, 2009 by   R. Hoover 0 Votes
Same problem here in Orillia. I stored the battery inside over the winter after a 2nd summer of use. Charged it up (green light went on) and eagerly started it up - Lasted about 3 minutes then slowly died right there on my front lawn in front of the neighbours. The green light was still on.
I'm not a genius but to me, a green light means good to go. This battery was no go and won't take a charge at all now.
I got through to the Yardworks customer support - their response was to question if I charged the battery every 2 weeks in my heated basement. As we vacation during the winter, this is not possible. I asked her if I should take the new battery that I will have to purchase for $125.00 to Florida with us so I can take proper care of it. She giggled a bit as if she had heard this kind of comment before.
I won't be buying a new battery. But will be buying a new non-Yardworks mower. Anyone want a cute green planter that you can fill with panzies and move around your garden?
 2nd of Jul, 2009 by   Dave Clark 0 Votes
After all these comments, has anyone actually solved the problems - I've had the battery/starter switch/ front wheels fall off situations myself and am now at the "won't start at all - again" stage - close to buying a gas unit and pushing this thing off a cliff - H E L P !!!
Dave Clark