logo

Their guarantee is fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Credit One Bank Complaints & Reviews - Fraudulent billing practices!

Credit One Bank Contacts & Informations

Credit One Bank

Posted:    Deborah Cunningham

Fraudulent billing practices!

This company is another one of those credit card companies that thinks that they can squeeze blood from a turnip. We have been trying to pay these people every single month and calling them and working with them and still they charge our credit card fees that surpass the amount of money that we pay.

This creates a never-ending debt that can never be repaid that they hope to be charging us for forever. They refuse to work with us and they simply demand money that we just don't have. We are sorry that we got into debt, but we are like a lot of people who did that.

We don't have any active credit accounts anymore and we are paying off $7,500 in debt at the rate of $293 per month. At that rate, the debt will be paid in a little over two years. I think that we are working as hard as we possibly can to get out of debt, but this company, unlike the other 14 creditors on our debt management plan, refuses to accept payments, keeps the size of the debt going up and plans on taking the next step of suing us.

Thing is, we beg food from the church every month now and there is nothing for them to get from suing us. No judge on the planet will force us to beg more food from the church every month and that is what these people think they are going to get one to do. Good luck with that, Credit One.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of May, 2007 by   Jim Edward 0 Votes
Relax Deborah, they won't be anywhere near suing you until you actually start hearing from a collection agency or attorney doing physical business in your own home state. And even if they do eventually sue you, that is simply a judgment, they still have to collect it, and in your case, sounds like that would just mean more annoying phone calls. Just hang up on them and don't take it so personal. Or act like you don't understand their english when they call you, I have had fun with that. You call America? Hello? I sorry, I do not understand. Huh? What?
 17th of May, 2007 by   js23 -1 Votes
How about just paying your bills. Yes they are charging fees. All credit card companies charge fees. You agreed to those fees when you accepted the card. Quit whining and pay the debt you owe.
 24th of May, 2007 by   L A Paulson 0 Votes
I came to this website seeking information via google on Credit One. I received an offer in the mail and wanted to make sure the bank is not some type of scam, so I am grateful for there being a communication board.

While we ALL understand how important it is to pay our bills, simply put: life happens and in a heartbeat a job can be lost or a death of a spouse that supports the monthly needed income which can have detrimental effects on our budgets-- and then comes DEBT. People such as the person who tells you to pay your bills hasn't experienced that-- and let's hope that "what comes around goes around" will not come back to bite them in the butt! No matter the circumstance-- life happens, and we all are presented with challenges in life.

Jim Edward's comments above are very much so accurate, so I hope you find some relief and comfort in all of that. If you ever find yourself in this situation where the debt has eventually gone to a collection agency-- they are more than likely to work out a promising repayment plan. If not, and circumstances begin to get out of control-- contact your local FDCPA attorney. They can usually be found on the web. :) CHIN UP!
 12th of Sep, 2007 by   Tony G +1 Votes
Look this is not a bank----this is a very high risk CC company------they charge you to even make a payment cause no "real" bank will work with them on setting up a no fee to them fix-----what you should do is apply for a loan thru a bank or simply stop paying them and let the court set up payments for you and the judge can impose a "no fee" and freeze the amount owed where all the money you send in via court order will be applied as princible and no interest will be charged----people please read the small print when dealing with these types of high risk companies----they in the bussiness to make money off of people that have had problems with thier credit in the past----and to the smart guy that posted "just pay your bills" ---everyone including you sir has or will have problems sometime in thier lifes with paying bills----so I hope you get thru this and in the future deal with "real banks" only when you need to get a credit card not these very high risk ones. Thank you
 5th of Oct, 2007 by   Dee Rock +1 Votes
Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.
 26th of Oct, 2007 by   Marjorie S +1 Votes
I've had a card from them for awhile now and so far all seems well. But, I can't seem to get their website online. I've tried and tried and tried and googled and yahoo searched, but to no avail. It comes up that there isn't such a page. So, if anyone can send me the link I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
 30th of Oct, 2007 by   CHARLES SOWELL +1 Votes
You may not like the rules but you did agree to the terms and conditions of the credit card. If you did not read the terms and conditions before you got the card that is your fault. You need to take responsibility for your actions!!
 31st of Oct, 2007 by   Wilson Yates +1 Votes
I came to this site because credit one bank sent me a letter
saying I can settle my account, to send a certain amount of money.

The thing is, I never had a Credit one bank account. I called and asked them why they sent me the bill. he confirmed my name and SS# and said some credit card #. I looked at my old credit card and the numbers didn't match, then I realized my credit card is Capital One Visa, not credit One bank. I asked the man on the other end if Capital One Visa and Credit One bank are the same and he said no. I said, Well then you made a mistake r someone committed fraud. He told me I still have to pay it unless I prove it is not me. I said, I have never had another credit card besides Capital One Visa, and a prepaid one.
I am planning t pay off my Capital One visa, and if this was a letter from them, I would pay it... what gets me is he told me I have made a payment of $20. on the card on a certain date, and I for the life of me can't remember ever paying for something I don't have. Any advice on this one?
 31st of Oct, 2007 by   bree +1 Votes
They do not post payments on time. Online payments should not take over ten days. They also try to come up with lame excuses as to why it did not process. Funny all my other online payments went through just fine. I also have my online receipt of payment for proof. They are trying to be sneaky and charge you fraudulent late fees. They tried to charge me a 29.00 late fee. Little do they know not everybody was born yesterday. Total scumbags that take advantage of low income or bad credit citizens. The web site is so ridiculously slow on updating payments. (not surprising because of how sneaky they are. The only reason I got the card with a low limit was to build my credit back up. I am paying the balance and canceling my account. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH NO-NAME CREDIT COMPANIES... VERY SHADY BLOODSUCKERS... THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU SHOULD SHUT THE COMPANY DOWN!!! ONLY IN AMERICA... GOTTA LOVE IT... CORPORATE PIGS!!!
 13th of Nov, 2007 by   lizbeth andrews +1 Votes
TO MR. JUST PAY YOUR BILLS WELL WE DID JUST THAT. PAID THE CARD OFF THEN HERE THEY PRESENTED FEES AND MORE FEES TO THE TUNE OF 139.00. THE CARD WAS PAID IN FULL. THEN THEY TOOK A PAYMENT FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT WITHOUT AUTHORIZATION. THE FEES WERE BOGUS THE COMPANY AND THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU DO BUSINESS WITH THEM EVER. I HAVE TO CLOSE MY CHECKING ACCOUNT BECAUSE IF THEY DID IT ONCE NO TELLING WHAT THEY WILL DO NEXT. CLEAN IT OUT! I AM ALSO FILING A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.
 4th of Dec, 2007 by   JO JO AND FLUFFY 0 Votes
From my past legal experience, it is best to look online and get the name of the President or CEO of a corporation. Lets take Capital One Corporation, it is Richard D. Fairbanks, CEO in VA. If I experience a problem with my Capital One Credit Card, I contact Mr. Fairbanks' executive office and discuss the problem.

Presidents and CEO's make decisions that other employees CANNOT make and they do something to solve your case.

Have A Nice Day!!
 5th of Dec, 2007 by   STEPHANIE GOODBODY 0 Votes
I LOVE THE HIGH AMOUNT OF FEES THEY POST TO YOUR ACCOUNT EVERY MONTH. I HATE THE CARD AND I AM GOING TO GET IT PAYED OFF QUICKLY AND RIP UP THE CARD.
 11th of Dec, 2007 by   JOHN JOHNSTON 0 Votes
I have a recording on my answering machine of a guy leaving a message and using the "N" word over and over again. Talking about i would be angry if someone took money out of my account like that. This recording will be going to the proper people, i do have his name because i called back and the stupid girl gave me his name. Then i recorded that conversation with him.
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   Savannah L 0 Votes
I have read some pretty bad remarks here and I am disappointed at some of the so called human beings leaving comments on this site. First, I am truly sorry for this person's situation and if you are begging for food why in the HELL are you paying a credit card anything? Stop, your credit is already trashed and your options are these.

1. Spend your money on food, clothing and shelter for your family. Get back on your feet and in a year, two or three call these jerks and offer to settle. They will by then take 25 to 30 cents on the dollar or less.

2. GO BANKRUPT, the laws are there for your protection and there is no shame in it, HELL Texaco even went Bankrupt one time. But stop talking to bill collectors period, it's useless!

Remember, you are dealing with a subprime high interest rate predator, nothing more. They use to put people in Prison for doing exactly what they are doing and it was called Loan Sharking!
As to these fools that say you owe the money and it's a question of morals that applys when equal morals are applied by both parties, here this is not the case.

GOOD LUCK AND God Bless you!
 25th of Dec, 2007 by   unhappy customer 0 Votes
Credit one is awful. Charging $5.95 to make a payment whether you use your banking account or debit card.
 28th of Dec, 2007 by   Doug 0 Votes
I don't like the charge for online payment just like the person in the last post said. $5.95 for a online payment sucks.
 3rd of Jan, 2008 by   Matthew Decker +1 Votes
I have been monitoring this and posts like this for some time since my disagreement began with Credit One. I have also posted reports on sites like /link removed/ From Deborah's post and the following comments:

I believe in all that support the belief of Credit One's fraudulent billing, pyramiding late charges, and predatory lending practices. I have been with this bank well over 4 years. Like millions of Americans, I had slow credit and I submitted to an offer from this bank, as they prey people with slow, no, or bad credit simply because we're vulnerable. We felt left out in a nation and world that pushes the idea of credit upon everyone, and if you don't have it, you're nobody. I disagree. You don't need credit to survive. Break away from these people and YOU will have more power of your future, I guarantee it.

My situation: I was just around a balance of $220 out of a $500 credit line by Credit One when I had problems financially and work. I did what I can to cover the necessities but a lot of my bills and credit cards got out of hand. I am a fighter and sucked it up, paying what I can and getting back to my feet. For my credit cards, I enrolled all of them in Consumer Education Services, Inc, a Care One Credit service for helping consolidate my credit cards and pay them off. CESI worked with me well and negotiated substantially lower interest rates, and set me up with a payment plan on my cards. Within a few months, I was on schedule and pretty much back on my feet. Every card accepted my proposal and worked with me no problem except Credit One. They refused every proposal CESI sent them and refused to work with me in helping to pay them off. I admitted I fell behind, had problems but was willing to settle and most of all PAY THEM. I just wanted to have them stop their charges so I can work on negating the principal. They refuse every time and there is a new charge on my card every other week. I pay them every month still, and yet they charge back more on my account than I'm paying them. It's called Pyramiding Charges, and it's against consumer rights according to the FDIC. Now I am in a situation where I am attending school, paying health insurance, working full time, paying a car & insurance along with several housing and utility bills. Not that I'm crying for help because I do what I have to do. Just Credit One's refusal to work with me, and still charge me ridiculous charges seems unfair. Yes, I accepted the card and agreed to the conditions, but why weren't charges such as a "closed account maintenance fee" in the Terms? You find it let me know. I will be writing my full story and follow up on this bank. Please email me for more details.

To all those who simply say "pay your bills" and "it's your fault," I say you are ignorant. You are ignorant to post such a thing because you don't understand the situation, and your knowledge of it shows. This is obviously happening to more people than anyone can keep up with. Google "Credit One Bank Complaints" and see how many results you get. They have an "F" rating with the BBB and every other Consumer Complaints Board that looked at them. They are NOT a legit Bank, and the practices they use are not only fraudulent and predatory, but they're wrong. This company should not be in business. To simply say they can get away with it because it was in their "Terms & Disclosures" is wrong because A)They are not accurate, and B) They do not disclose changes in their polices as required by the consumer rights by the FDIC. They simply leave it open to "can change without notice." They use loopholes to jump through the system and that's how they can get away with it. Email me to challenge me on it, I not only welcome it, but encourage it. I did my research. They violate several rights on the FDIC. Check them out on this page: http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/rights/index.html.

The only way, we as consumers (AKA: the powerless) can do anything is by petitioning to the government, and attacking them at a "customer service" level. Their refusal to follow up disputes, work with customers, work with agencies such as the Better Business Bureau, their call center agents' knowledge of the business, and their lack of customer commitment is the way, en masse we can effect them. On Credit One's website, their customer service motto states:

"Our Customers
We are proud of our accomplishments as a company, and perhaps just as important to us is the genuine concern and attention we strive to show towards every one of our customers. We are dedicated to serving the needs of our customers with superior customer service." -Credit One Bank

Is it just me, or is there anyone else that not only disagrees with that statement, but has felt Credit One has not lived up to that statement in you dealing with them? I am in the process of creating a petition, and a beginning a report on all who have been affected by the wrongful business practices of this bank. They must not get away with these practices and prey on the hard-working consumers who just want a fair credit card company, and wish to not hurt their credit, but work past mistakes and be on the way to establishing good credit.

It is hard enough to survive and make a living as a working-class citizen without companies like this taking waste money from you to feed their corporate CEOs and officials. Enough is enough. I ask all who have been affected by this bank to email me at MAPLE2008@aol.com to share their story. With each series of complaints I will forward them to the FDIC, FTC, BBB, and other government agencies in charge of funding, insuring, and governing these corporations. The only way we can do anything is with everyone's help. Stop throwing your rent, food, clothes, gas, insurance, mortgage, utilities, and overtime pay to these greedy companies who are in business not to help you, I promise, but to harm you and take whatever they can from you before people start speaking up. It's NOT OK to just sit back and let them ruin your credit and take YOUR working dollars. Don't listen to people who tell you to do nothing. Don't be afraid of companies like this. Please email me and together we can work to alleviate one of these companies from crushing us with their fraudulent charges. Don't be taken advantage of. This is not a case of only a handful of people being robbed by this company, this is THOUSANDS of people. Read the reports online, I'm not making this up. If we expose this company for who they are and especially to the media, and once people know who they are, WE as consumers have the power to stop them, but only if you fight.

I do thank you for reading this post and I thank everyone in advance for any support. Please, I do not wish to be emailed by people who will only say "just pay them" that's not what this is about. Keep your advice to yourself. If you tell people to "just pay your bills" you must not have it that hard, so how about sharing a little dough with the rest of us? Keep those things to yourself. Mistakes happen, accidents happen, and unfortunately people get in debt. You're not alone. But fessing up to those mistakes and fighting back can make a difference. This company cannot ignore everyone and together as consumers, we can make a difference.

Please join in the new Members Against Predatory Lending & Extortions (MAPLE). I am asking for only those consumers who have been taken advantage or feel they have been taken advantage of by this Credit One Bank company. You're not alone .. help yourself, and help others now.

Thanks for listening, please email me for any updates and questions on MAPLE.

Matthew Decker.
 9th of Jan, 2008 by   SUSAN MARTINEZ 0 Votes
It is so true Credit One Bank is the worst bank to do business with I owe them 500.00 and they do not want to work with me. I asked them if I could settle my account with them for .50 Cents on the dollar and they said we do not work with settlements. there payment department looks like it's based out of Pakistan and they have no control of what is happening to our economy here in the states. Or they don't have tv's I guess. I refuse to pay someone that won't work with me. I told them my salary has been reduced . and they don't want to hear it pay up at it.!
 24th of Feb, 2008 by   Annon 0 Votes
While I agree that their fees are unreasonable, you all DID sign on the dotted line in your haste to have the card. All of the fees are outlined in the guidelines that most of you obviously didn't bother to read. If you don't read the fine print, don't whine about it later on. Credit One is a business just like everyone else and they want the money back that they let you use (and NOT at 50 cents on the dollar like someone else in this post mentioned. How about we pay you 50 cents on the dollar for the time you've worked next payday and see how you like that). Pay off the card and cut it up.
 6th of Mar, 2008 by   lori 0 Votes
I signed up for a debt management program and put all my credit cards in it, the only one that would not work with the program is Credit One, the debt program sent letters to them asking to accept a proposal , they still would not budge, I tried calling numerious times and most the time I spoke to someone who could barely speak english - each time I asked to speak to a manager and they would not let me - I explained the situation with them on how I am in a debt program and to please allow my balance be in the program - they said NO WAY... so here I am just making the minimum each month while they hack on over the limit charges, and late charges, I can only pay them at the end of the month each month, and still I get hacked on charges...they call me 5 times a day starting from 8am to 10pm and demand me to pay the full balance that has accured... I dont know what to do...

Beware of Moving Scams