logo

Uniqcare Recruitment Ltd
Uniqcare Recruitment
5. (11 mins ago)
Susana B. Tolchard, Attorney
didn't do the work, wont return money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Cooking Club of America Complaints & Reviews - False membership and bullying

Cooking Club of America Contacts & Informations

Cooking Club of America

Posted:    Laurie Benes

False membership and bullying

I have repeatedly told this company that I AM NOT interested in membership, yet I continue to receive phone calls, and billings for a membership that I DID NOT authorize! Then, they have the audacity to send bill collectors after me!!! How do I make this stop? My daughter is helping me with this as I do not have e-mail. Thank you.
Comments United States Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

15th of Jun, 2007 by   Pamela Mujwid 0 Votes
Yes SCAM here in more than just the membership. My Mom replied to an add through the Cooking Club of America to receive $100 worth of free groceries for only $25. She applied and paid the $25 and did indeed receive 10 $10 grocery coupons. The information was that they were good at over 300,000 grocery stores, with no list of them. The 4 well known stores that I took her to to redeem these coupons refused to because they lack information of how the store was to get reimbursed. I reviewed all the information that came with the coupons and there is nothing referencing how to redeem these with the store or how the store can redeem them.
 3rd of May, 2008 by   greenriverkate 0 Votes
I, too joined this club. It has been a disaster. As a lifetime member, I got my set of pots n pans. While washing them to use, I slit my thumb on the rim of a pot and it didn't heal for a month, it was that bad! Then, like a fool, I ordered a couple things that were overpriced to begin with. Took me time to pay it off. Figured, that would be the end of it. But NO, they send me some damn knife and bill me for $89.95. I have all these types of knives and needed it like a hole in the head. Testing produces that are good. Nope, just like the others, a small set of measuring spoons and the plastic pasta measuring thing. Mind you, I AM a lifetime member. I haven't gotten anything to "test" so that too is a scam. I have been a member for over 2 years so they had plenty of time to send me something to test. This is one hell of a scam or the worse company in the nation and they couldn't run a dog race. I am so disappointed because there is alot of us out here that loves to cook and would be glad to test products. It was and is an untapped market, if anyone were truly interested in doing it the right way and with good customer service. Count me in. I am not going to pay for the knife as I got the exact same one for $29.00, Not $80.95 AND I did NOT order this thing. There has to be a good company out there some place.
 9th of Jun, 2008 by   Pat Grisco 0 Votes
I am also a victim. What can I do. I tried calling but was on the line for at least 20 minutes. They want $301.00 from me.
 1st of Sep, 2009 by   ncmom 0 Votes
I hope I don't end up having to owe any more than I already do. I replied to the mail they sent me and got my free pasta thing but decided I didn't want to join. I understood it as if I sent in the $24 then I was joining, so I never sent in the money. I don't owe them anything. But they have sent my name to the credit agency!!! I am so pi**ed off. We are a young couple trying to build credit for a house, and now this!! Does anyone know what I can do??? Please help!!!
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   asilanaeru 0 Votes
yeah that sucks. all these stories. i just got something in the mail from them... when it sounds too good to be true...it usually is.
 26th of Jan, 2010 by   MaryJane6 0 Votes
I want to thank everyone that has commented on this company and thank the owners of this website. I was going to mail in the membership card tomorrow but now i'm not. Thanks again everyone
 4th of Feb, 2010 by   verydisappointedindeed 0 Votes
I too am a victim of the scam. When I sent in my authorization for a $12 one year membership with a few freebies that is what I expected. I didn't really believe I was going to get free prodect to test, but I figured $12 was probably worth the magazine and a few little freebies. But then the old bait & switch happened. I was sent only a couple of the promised freebies and got a bill for a $24 two year membership. I sent them a letter back with the billing saying that I wasn't paying it & accepting the membership because it was not what I agreed to. But alas I kept getting bills and now they are threatening a collection agency. I have very good credit and don't want it ruined because of a $24 incident so I'm paying, but they aren't getting anything more from me and I will do my best to let everyone know that they are SCAM ARTISTS!!!
 5th of Mar, 2010 by   thlcaj 0 Votes
Thank you all so much for these comments! I, too, got the pasta measurer and was going to send card back and pay the $12 membership fee. I decided to just take a quick look on the computer to see what it was about and all of these comments came up. I think I will pass on this and not open anything else I get from them!
 4th of Apr, 2010 by   savyandcc22 0 Votes
i got the membership too and since im only 12 i thought 'hey this would be a good way to start off my future' i got recipe cards, the pasta thing, the measurement table, ID labels, and stickers all stuff you can get at the 99 cant store i was excited to join but now i think we should tell the higher authority people so they can take care of it
 13th of Apr, 2010 by   Plee 0 Votes
I TOO got the $12 membership notice. Then before I got a chance to pay the $12, I got a bill for $24. WTF?? I'm SO glad I looked here because now all they're getting is a return envelope with CANCEL written all over it.
Thanks much for the info. You have saved me from what sounds like an ongoing problem.
 27th of Apr, 2010 by   LivedNLearned 0 Votes
I fully undersand that most of you are thoroughly frustrated by this company, so please do not take the following words of wisdom as a personal attack. I feel that most of us need a few blunt, and sometimes harsh, truths to make us wake up and take responsibility again. Like adults!
Most of the complaints seem to stem from your own neglect to read even half of what you were agreeing to when you replied to the offer. It does state quite clearly that the membership is only $12/year, billed in two year increments. That means that you cannot sign up for only one year, so you actually owe $24. Since you voluntarily, and legally, agreed to their services and terms of billing by returning the card, the company did nothing wrong. No company can be blamed for providing all necessary information, but the customer failed to read the information.
Also, be aware: if you order a product and it says in fine print that it is part of a subscription and they will continue to send you things until you cancel, etc., don't order it unless that's exacty what you want. Otherwise, simply send the product back and cancel the subscription.
The fine print is not there to entrap you! In fact, the fine print is required for your protection. It will provide all the information you will need. If there is not eough information provided, just ask. If they can't tell you what you want to know, they're probably not worth dealing with. Also, BBB is an invaluable resource. According to the BBB, this company as an A+ rating. If you don't feel that's right, than lodge a complaint with the BBB. They can actually do something about it.
I hope this helps to inspire you to take a little positive action and change your own situation for the better.
 4th of May, 2010 by   antidisa -1 Votes
The old adage "if it sounds too good to be true..." popped into my head as I read through the invitation to join. And since we have the internet I thought why not just check this out before I send the acceptance. Well, thanks so much for all comments. I'll pass on their "generous" offer.
 26th of May, 2010 by   Aunt JJ 0 Votes
I love my membership with Cooking Club of America. They have been up front with me. Sent my books on time. I love the e-mails and the test products. They always call and confirm before they send the next set of books. I am very happy with their quality and customer service. I also like the updates on new products and coupons and savings opportunities. Their products are hiqh quality. I have seen them in up scale kitchen ware shops such as one with the initials W-S.
They have been completely up front with all of the costs and choices.
 4th of Jul, 2010 by   pde 0 Votes
I just canceled recently. They charged me a $40 processing, even though the was never mentioned in any of my communications with them. As writing the BBB. If you have a problem that help. I also joined two other clubs affliated with the Cooking Club. Canceled them, because they never sent the promised products and never answered emails. So I complained to the BBB and the company never responded.

Hope no one else gets taken in like I did.
 16th of Jul, 2010 by   LIDARKSIDE 0 Votes
I have been a member for many, many years without any problems.

I agree 100% with a previous poster that the brunt of these complaints come from people failing to read through all the print material.
 6th of Nov, 2010 by   Caddy Sue 0 Votes
There was never anything in my original documentation that said the $12 a year would be billed in two year increments. I still have that documentation. When I got the bill for $24 I sent it back as CANCEL immediately. I have recieved no free gifts. They sent me threatening letters about my account being delinquent, so I emailed them and asked them to cancel, I don't have $24 in my budget to give to them. They offerred to bill me $12 a year, which I might have done, but after the threatening letters, I don't want to do business with these people! I am sending them a drop-dead letter.
 19th of Jan, 2011 by   Colleen2303 0 Votes
So glad I decided to read this. I know nothing is ever as it seems so I decided to check it out and found this page. I can see them screwing people big time! I am just gonna rip up my return letter now. THANKS!!
 11th of Feb, 2011 by   JackieJack 0 Votes
I have sent them numerous emails asking them to stop sending me books, they reply and say they have posted that I do not want to receive anything and then a month later I get another book. I do not have a car and refuse to spend $20 on a taxi to return the books and PAY shipping to return them. Do they report to creditors? I have no paid any of the books in the past 3 months since this has been going on for 3 months. I have all the emails saved and each one from them (a total of 8) tell me they are going to stop sending me books. In my last email I told them I would not pay any of my bills until they can actually go more than a month without sending me unwanted products.
 9th of Mar, 2011 by   Reindeer Games 0 Votes
I joined Cooking Club of America about a year ago. The promotional material stated $12 a year, so I thought I'd try it. When I got the membership material, the invoice enclosed was for $24 for two years. I called the phone number in the membership material and questioned this. I was told that I could just pay $12 for one year if I wanted. I decided to try it for 2 years anyway, and paid the $24, by check.
I signed up on the website to try products for free. The first, and only, thing I ever received to try was a pathetic, useless, cheap knife, that I would never use in the kitchen. What a joke! I returned the rating card and told them what I thought of it. I put the knife in the garage to use on weeds.
I also received a cookbook I didn't want and wasn't expecting. Even though it was only $10, the material with it indicated that if I kept it, I would be agreeing to receiving "future books in the series" every month. There was no indication how many books there were in the series. I could see that this would never end, and I returned the book, with the invoice marked "cancel". About 2 months later I received an email from them, saying that "your (unspecified) returned item has been received". So far, I have not received any more books, or further bills for the returned one.
They have an email newsletter called Food Now. For the longest while, I kept getting a blank message, and if I clicked on "View" at the bottom, I got a new screen with a partial newsletter in plain text. I called them and asked for it to be sent in HTML, but the girl I spoke with was quite unhelpful and told me that the fault was probably with my ISP. My ISP said there was no problem on their end. I emailed CCA and was told they would refer it to their "technical" staff. There was no change for several months. Only recently, did I start receiving the newsletter in HMTL.
They also keep sending me material trying to get me to become a "lifetime" member, for $300+, implying that they will "refund" my original $24. Why would I want to fork over $300+ for a lifetime membership in something so non-essential? I have better things to do with my money, and at present I couldn't afford it; but I wouldn't consider it even if I could afford it. I keep throwing these "offers" out.
The promotional material also promised "$100 Grocery Coupon" and since I am unemployed, I thought this would be very helpful. As it turns out, they send you a plastic card, which you have to return to "Grocery Coupon Card" in Bloomington MN, with a self-addressed first-class-stamped envelope, to receive "Grocery Coupon Savings Certificates". I did this once, and what you get is a 2"x5" sheet of 10 stamp sized "certificates", a list of 928 grocery products, and a form. You have to choose exactly 48 products, and list them (in strict numerical order!) on the form, glue one of the certificate stamps to the form, and send it back with a $1 processing fee and another self-addressed first-class-stamped envelope. I did this once, recently. After 2-3 weeks, I received $14.55 worth of coupons, cut from the same coupon sections that come with my own Sunday newspapers. All the coupons were due to expire in 3-4 weeks. I was unable to use $7.80 worth because I didn't have the money to buy the products before the coupons expired. I only used $4.75 worth, and there are 2 $1 coupons still good for another week or two. However, it cost me $4.76 so far to get these coupons ($1 processing fee, plus four 44 cent stamps), so it obviously isn't worthwhile to do this. This is a joke and SCAM. They aren't saving me $100 on groceries at all!
The last straw is, they are running a sweepstakes to win a "$99" food processor, but you have to enter through a Facebook account. I don't have, or want, a Facebook account. I'm a member of the CCA, and I should damned well be able to enter this sweepstakes as well as any other member. This policy is plain DISCRIMINATION! They are discriminating against their own members by making entries available only to those with Facebook accounts!!!

In summary, this company is just out to take your money. They don't "give" you anything. The blank recipe cards, and the wafer sponge (that puffs up in water) that you get with the membership material, is all you're going to get out of these people. The products to try are garbage - probably made in China for pennies. The magazine is okay, but comes so infrequently that it's a surprise when it shows up, and it's full of ads, trying to get you to buy expensive kitchen products. This company is just wants to sell stuff, and all their so-called "membership benefits" are really just worthless come-ons to rope people in. I will let my membership expire after the second year. Thank goodness I paid by check, so they have no credit card number they can keep fraudulently billing things to. Stay away from Cooking Club of America and all their sister "clubs". They're all shams and scams!
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   Maria.Slechter 0 Votes
Just got mine in the mail yesterday with the flimsy pasta measurer, Good thing I googled it! I have looked on 4 different websites and the feedback is def more negative than positive, So I will decline. I will not send ANYTHING to them I will just toss it all in a burn pile and lets see if they still try to contact or bill me as an above member stated.

3 Ways Lenders Spy on You