logo

Posted:    DDais

scam

J C Finacials
Michigan
I was sent bogus check and letter stating that I had won $39, 000. Finding out there are similar scams going around. I never called the number but I will notify the bank (Peoles Bank, Connecticut) that the cashiers check was supposedly from. This was called Consumer's Reward Program and the company was J C Financials. The names used were Sara Smith and Michael Edwards. Numer given 905-781-2863. Name on the check was Brian Robertson. Someone needs to stop these people.
Comments United States Scam Contests
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Jan, 2009 by   Dennis +1 Votes
I was also sent a check and letter on 1/24/09 stating that I had won $39, 000. Finding out there are similar scams going around I will not call the number given. The check was a Cashier's check for $3900 drawn on LaSalle bank to pay taxes on the winnings. This was called Consumer's Reward Program and this company was Sun Life Financials in Niagara Falls, Canada. The names used to finalize the claim were not Sara Smith and Michael Edwards but Nicole Jordan and Larry Johnson. Numer given was not 905-781-2863 but 905-781-0928. Name on the check was Matt Carter instead of Brian Robertson.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   Paula +1 Votes
I got a letter today with the exact information that you had, drawn on LaSalle Bank, Chicago Illinois was the certified check in the amount of 3900.
I initially looked at the cashier's check and thought this can not possibly be fake, I have purchased plenty of cashier's checks and have worked in a couple of banks. But something told me to go online to check out this "Consumer's Reward Program", I also looked up Sun Life Financial Service, nothing really indicated that this was a valid letter of my winning a "Lottery". I am glad that I was able to see several postings of fraud with this particular group of institutions. I needed the 3900.00 no doubt, but as the saying goes..."If it sounds too good to be true, then it is!!"
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   mike +1 Votes
I also got one of these letters, and was wondering if the check was real or fake. I checked with the bank and the account is an active one. But I to believe that if it looks to good to be true, then it ain't gonna be true.
would like to here from someone who may have made attempt to cash one of these checks and what may have transpired afterwards. - mike
 25th of Jan, 2009 by   Squish 0 Votes
I have also recievd this fraudulent scam. Upon doing so, I contacted the Bank and Sun Life Financial who was on the letterhead and provided the information that I recieved. I am also going to contact my local police department as well. I suggest that all of you do the same. We are targets of a scam and should not have to deal with this nonsence. I have kept all coorespondence including the original letter and check to provide to the police.
 26th of Jan, 2009 by   kpalmature3 0 Votes
I received a cashier's check for 3900.00. Also wih a letter stating that I had won sun life financial service/consumers lottery of 39, 000.00 . The people to contact were nicole jordan and larry johnson at 905-598-5373. The cashier's check from lasalle bank, N.A. cHICAGO, iLLINOIS WAS SIGNED BY A MATT CARTER. Knowin what I know about scams through the internet i ran it by the blog and i was fully educated. Thanks!
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   Mike +1 Votes
The Phone No 905-781-0928 Is a Cell Phone from Fido Solutions Inc. LA and the Rate Center is Brampton Ontario the Phone belongs to a Guy named Roger there is no last name. I got a 3900.00 Check to and won 39, 000 and the same names as Dennis
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   Tracey +1 Votes
I recieved a letter today also from sunlife financial group for a Award claim notification that I have won 55, 000 and a check written is InnerWorkings of 600 west Chicago Aven in Chicago and the bank is JPMorgan Chase in Chicago. The check is for 3850.00 and supposedly I have to pay a tax amount of 2935.00 to get the money! What a scam. What is sad is that they appear to be dragging down some reputable companies. Sunlife Financial, InnerWorkings and JPMorgan all are legitimate companies. I have contacted all involved this evening via email, and will contact bank via phone tomorrow. Next trip will be to the police station to file a report. I too have also kept all documentation and did my own little investigation. This crap has to be stopped. Trust me I can use this money as well as the next person. We should be able to not only bring these people down but sue their butts off for the emotional crap they can put on you!
 16th of Apr, 2009 by   hyoshira 0 Votes
wish i could do all thats needed to report this scam, but im too busy trying get off the streets to non-homelessness. but im glad i didnt cash one of these things.
 17th of May, 2009 by   rvt2003 +1 Votes
I received a letter yesterday, from Sun Financial Inc stating I had won a $250, 000 sweepstakes of which I was receiving a check for $4993. The letter asked that I send the tax amount via Money Gram or Western Union and I would receive the balance of my winnings via Fed Ex in a few days. Now knowing full well this is a scam I did a look up on the number listed, 416-821-7586, and it is a cell phone listed to Fido Solutions out of Toronto, Ontario. The name signed on the letter is Chris Kennedy as the promotion manager.

I will be calling Sun Financial to let them know of the scam as well as Regions Bank (who the check is drawn from) as well as notifying the police. Everyone PLEASE BEWARE!!! There are sleezy scammers out there trying to take advantage of good people.
 23rd of May, 2009 by   Born Yersterday +1 Votes
I got a letter today 05/23/2009 with the letter head of "Union Finance, INC. of 7742 Hilton Rd. Toronto, Ontario T6Y 9M2 advising me that I was a winner of their General Market Survey which was held on March 5th, 2009. It seems my entry slip (?) was drawn and I was the winner of the sum of $150, 000.00. US

In with the letter was a check from Union Finance INC. NY, NY // JPMorgan Chase Bank N.A. for the amount of $5, 997.00 which they claim is the taxable amount of my winnings. I was advised to send that amount to "my tax agent Elizabeth Swindells of 2772 Howard Street, Toronto, Ontario, T4H 2V5 via Western Union/Moneygram wire transfer" at which time a "Special Courier" would deliver the rest of the winnings to me.

The last time I looked the date on my birth certificate was not yesterday.
 4th of Jun, 2009 by   Leticia Martinez +1 Votes
I recieved a letter on the day I gave birth to my newborn baby daughter. Which was May &, 2009. I was so excited and happy to know that it fel on her birth day. The letter is from UNION FINANCE INC. 7742 Hilton RD Toronto, Ontario T6Y9M2. phone #1-604-338-3505 fax #1-270-897-4417 This letter states that I am one of the winners from General Market Survey. That I have won the sum $150, 000.00 US and payable to me by a certified check. Claim agent is Mark Nelson phone# 1-604-338-3505 and I recieved a enclosed check of $5, 997.00 to pay the tax amount of $4, 990.00 to a tax agent named Elizabeth Swindells 2772 Howard St. Toronto, Ontario T4H2V5 and the payment method is by moneygram wire transfer. I have not yet made any attemps to do any of the requirements they have asked. What am I supposed to do? Is there anyone that can give us advice. Or tell us if this is a scam and why is this happening if it is. Leticia Martinez Indiantown, Fl 34956 772-597-8023
 4th of Jun, 2009 by   Leticia Martinez +1 Votes
I just called the City National Bank which is supposed to have the funds. And I asked the phone represenative if this was a valid check? She looked up the last 9 numbers on the check and said it was fraud check and to contact my local authorities. What are the authorities going to do about this? It seems like these scammers are out there and scamming people. What are we supposed to do?
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   Crissy1016 0 Votes
I totally agree, we should try everything we can to put these scammers out of business. My 20 year son received a letter today from PDC Financial Group, 101 Fletcher dr Niagara Fall On. There was a check for $3900 and the letter said the same as the one's above. The agents names were Amanda Brown and James Black at 647-829-9673. The check was from People's Bank Connecticut. Apparently there is a database access for people that get cashier checks because he had just gotten one a few weeks ago and I think that is where the scammers are getting this information. I will be reporting this to the authorities. Concerned Mom in TN.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   JimAZ 0 Votes
Same scam, also from Canada. The cashiers check looks real enough, but you know of course it's not. Just how stupid do you have to be to think that some 'marketing company' is just giving money away? The fact that the check comes with a photocopy (and not a very good one at that) of the award notification, and that the so called notification letter does not even contain your name, address, or any other vital information. As we all should know, if it sounds too good to be true... One last note, REAL checks, or pretty much anything that is really important, does NOT get sent by bulk mail! The scumbag scammers need to be stopped, but a little common sense goes a long way, if you expect to get something for nothing, then you expect to be disappointed.
 4th of Mar, 2010 by   USA Citizen 0 Votes
New name- same scam -- Regency Marketing 896 Medowvale AVE, Pickering, ON M7l7j9
Phone 905-598-5912
fax: 206-600-4617

Final Notice - Consumers Rewards Program-- Just won $8000.00.. sent me cashiers check for $989.56 from Prosperty Bank -No address or phone.

I'm suppose to pay taxes and funds will be sent to MY tax agent blah blah blah .
signed Lloyd Formely -Promotional Manager.
 24th of Mar, 2010 by   nikey 0 Votes
I just got the same letter yesterday, but this time it's a different company...

ATWOOD MARKETING INC

CASHIER'S CHECK FOR $998.78

CLAIMS AGENT: CHRISTINE REED
PROMOTION MANAGER: BRIAN MAYERS
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   TBrant 0 Votes
I also recieved a canda posted letter from Atwood Marketing Inc. saying how they have made several attempts to contact me regarding my winnings of $8000.oo that I had supposedly won from a consumer rewards program and that my name was attached to the lucky winning ticket #3749065. The letterhead states it's from Atwood Marketing 786 Barton St. Pickering, on M7L 7J9 Phone:1(905)-598-5020 Fax:1(206)-600-4617 Dated March 18, 2010 Claim #:TO50831803. It came with a cashiers check from prosperity bank in the sum of $998.78 which is supposed to cover the taxes. It has the name Christine Reed as the claims agent and Brian Mayers as the promotion manager and mentions operation hours of business as monday to friday from 9am to 6pm but does'nt say whether those hours are eastern time, central time etc. etc. The letter format hardly looks professional But the cashiers check looks very genuine even to the point where a chase bank teller WAS going to cash it. My question is mainly this: If a person were to cash the cashiers check would they or could they be punnished by law? Or be held fully responsible for returning all funds paid out?
 26th of Mar, 2010 by   Bran 0 Votes
I posted the above complaint last night regarding Atwood Marketing without a few things I intended to mention. The phone number I was to call was an ontario, canada number but the fax number had a washington state prefix. Out of curiosity I called this "Christine Reed", the supposed claims agent, and of course was told that the cashiers check was ligit and that if I had any problem cashing or depositing it then I was to let her know as soon as possible and she would have a money order sent to me within 24 hours for the same amount. Like I had mentioned in the above complaint, I took the sent check to a chase bank to see what would happen and the teller did her thing on the computer and told me it was good so I deposited it and left it at that but knowing that it will more than likely come up as "bogus" I did'nt attempt to withdrawl anything from it. Besides, if the rewards come from canada then why did the check have a florida based bank as the issuer, and without an address? That is what puzzled me at first when the chase bank teller told me it was good. I have'nt even been able to find any such "Atwood Marketing" on the internet but was told by a B.B.B. associate that they exsisted. What's up with that?
 27th of Mar, 2010 by   Ms Martin 0 Votes
ME TOO! What A SCAM!!!
 29th of Mar, 2010 by   bl74 0 Votes
I to recieved a check for the amount of $998.78 from Atwood Marketing Inc. When I opened the letter and saw the cashiers check for that amount I was surprised about it and couldn't believe it but at the same time something in back of my head was telling me "How did I win this, cause I don't remember ever signing up for anything or playing something." I recieved exactly the same letter TBrant recieved with the same winning tickent #3749065, same claim#To50831803. I will report this to the authority cause I was tempted to cash it but thank God for the friends I have I told them about this and if it wasn't for them who knows I would probably get in trouble. They would probably think I somehow have something to do with it. It's sad that these people are doing this and surprised they haven't got caught. From where do they get our names and addresses.

How to Avoid Investment Scams