logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

2. (13 mins ago)
Gcspecials.com
I got scammed because legitimate plant sellers state the height of the plants they will deliver to a customer
3. (30 mins ago)
Fake Job Consultancy

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

consumer driven benefits association, Redlands, California Complaints & Reviews - product misrepresentation

consumer driven benefits association Contacts & Informations

consumer driven benefits association

Posted:    Cherri Moroe

product misrepresentation

CDBA
515 New Jersey St., Suite G
Redlands, California
Phone: 909-335-8110
My aunt who is very ill, was sold a hospitalization "membership" from CDBA. Although there are disclaimers in the paperwork stating that this is not a basic health insurance policy, the letter accompanying the membership cards says "You can start accessing your insrance benefits as of the effective date show on your ID card." This company accepted her check and once they received doctors' bills, told her that they had made a mistake and this policy was not available to her in KY. The materials accompanying the "plan" only referenced being unavailable to those in CT, FL, NJ, OR and WA. One of their representatives told her that this was their mistake so they would be responsible for any doctor bills incurred during her coverage period. Other representatives have said they are unaware of this statement with regard to my aunt's account. She has been told that her refund check has been mailed only to be told by someone else that they needed more information to process the refund.

Sounds like a rip off to me, too!
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Aug, 2008 by   melissa +1 Votes
CDBA Is NOT availbale in KY as a full medical plan, it is only available in that state as a limited benefit-discount only medical plan. It is not a scam, they had actually recently updated Kentucky and Massachusetts as discount-only about a month ago. They informed everyone who sells these plans, so all I can say is that the rep who processed your application either processed you just before that benefits change or flat out lied to you to save a sale. But it does them no good to lie because the plan is still available, just at a lower rate and different coverage. Currently Kentucky plans are offered at $87.85 and include several benefits that would work well for someone on a tight budget, someone relatively healthy, and someone who needs just basic coverage, as it is not a major medical insurance plan.
 12th of Nov, 2008 by   Flex +1 Votes
11/12/08
It seems as if the owner, Mr. Charles Boyd, of the marketing Company, Wholesale Insurance Marketing Group Inc., (WIMG), that administrates, The Consumer Driven Benefits Association (CDBA), finds ways out of paying clients claims, and sales peoples commissions!
He will find untrue and unreasonable ways to not pay people who either bought his products or sold his products in good faith!
I would like to team up and hear from others who have been led down the path of lies that this man creates, to RIP the public off!
Please, post on this forum if it has happened to you. This will be the only wayto stop this beast from taking advantage of honest people.
Thanks, P from NJ
 22nd of Jan, 2009 by   C Meinberg +1 Votes
I purchased their so called "policy" so that I would have insurance before I became pregnant. The sales person G. Flanagan sold me this knowing I had no other insurance and that I needed it incase my husband and I became pregnant. I told him very specifically that I may have to have a c-section and that I needed surgery/hospital paid etc. I also insisted that I would only purchase the policy if my dr. was in their network. He specified yes she was. Well guess what? I went to her last week and she not only doesn't participate but she has never heard of such a "policy" nor has the dr. I changed to that is in their "network". Guess what else? I'm pregnant and I am told now that it doesn't matter whether I purchased the "plicy" ahead of time or not, they convienently don't cover pregnancy. Well, I don't think anyone could have been as specific as I was as to what I needed the policy for and look what happened!! We are up the creek without a paddle. And do you think I can get a straight answer from anyone? I have been shuffled around from CDBA to their discount program Optum Health back to cdba back to O.H. It has been a nightmare for us. I hope this never happens to anyone else. I have reported them to the BBB and to my state insurance fraud agency. By the way, they use the BBB in their pitch to get you to trust them. No one will take me on now because I am pregnant. I tried to be responsible and get coverage ahead of time. It pays to pay a little more and go with an actual known ins. carrier than to get fraudulant coverage like this. Total rip off and heart break!!! C Meinberg
 25th of Jan, 2009 by   Disappointed Dad 0 Votes
My girlfriend and I have eerily similar situation as the statement(s) above. She had just changed jobs (and moved to Washington) and so did not have healthcare when we found out we were pregnant. We told CDBA about the pregnancy and they said they would cover her pre-existing pregnancy, in addition they knew she was living in Washington. Upon our first Doctor visit, we found out that the plan was no good in Washington. We contacted CDBA and had the plan switched to one that was good in Washington (and even paid ANOTHER large activation fee. Upon further Doctor visits we found out (too late) that they won’t cover anything! We have been paying a large premium for this "coverage" and to date they have not paid a single bill. For the past few months we have been caught in this game that they play; one person tells you that your claim is being processed and that there is nothing they can do until they hear back from the claims office. When you call back to talk to the same agent they are not available and the other agent will tell you that the “notes” they have still say that it is in the claims office. This has been the most frustrating and saddening process. We’ve paid them for two activation fees and our monthly premium, and still we have to pay ALL the medical bills. WE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF IF WE HAD NO COVERAGE AT ALL!
 24th of Feb, 2009 by   GOT RIPPED OFF! 0 Votes
We need to bring a class action law suit against this company!
JFRJR
 27th of Mar, 2009 by   Joe 0 Votes
This company is listed in the NC DOI, on page 15.
What is wrong with these people?
Can't undestand!
 27th of Mar, 2009 by   Joe 0 Votes
Sorry did not include the docket #. NC DOI, on page 15, Docket # 1417
Can't undestand!
 8th of Jul, 2009 by   Jgray 0 Votes
The membership was misrepresented as health insurance. The representative stated that this was, in fact, health insurance. I also paid monthly premiums and activation fees. When my packet arrived, I learned that this is not health insurance. I have made formal request to terminate membership and to acquire a full refund. I am not holding my breath. Stay away from these people.

I plan to make a formal complaint to the office of Secretary of State of California.

Jon
Rowland Hts
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   Phil L 0 Votes
I had a broker call and set me up with this company. They deducted just under $1000 from my checking account for the first month premiums and setup fees. I asked before signing up if I could review the information. They said there was nothing to send out but once I received the packet of info. if I was to cancel I could receive a full refund within 30 days. I received the packet and quickly found out what they told me over the phone was nothing what was sent to me. In cancelled that day and was told the checks would be sent out in 4 to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks I called them several times and was finally told the accounting dept was given the Ok to refund me the money. After 10 days I have not received the check. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General in Arizonia and the AARP who they had advertised with. THIS COMPANY IN MY OPINION IS A FRAUD. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Phil
Union Ky
 14th of Sep, 2009 by   Flex 0 Votes
NEW, IMPORTANT INFORMATION concerning,
Charles Nelson Boyd, (Ph. # 909-528-1782), his companies, Consumer Driven Benefits Association a.k.a(CDBA), and Wholesale Insurance Marketing Group a.k.a. (WIMG), was recently oredered to cease and disist by the Indiana Insurance Dept. (SEE BELOW), as well as the North Carolina DOI. (SEE ABOVE).

State of Indiana / County of Marion
Ph. # 909-528-1782
1423 West State St., Unit A
Redlands, CA. 92373
Type of action: Enforcement

Him and his companies not only violate consumers, but violate the law as well!
This man must be stopped!!
 18th of Sep, 2009 by   Lambda 0 Votes
This guy was shady as a young man, many years ago. He hasn't changed.
 21st of Sep, 2009 by   Flex 0 Votes
Charles Nelson Boyd, dba CDBA, WIMG was "SHADY" as a young man?
How come I am not suprised at this statement???
How can this man continue to "Rip Off" people?
When will Mr. Boyd be stopped?
Who can stop him?
Very Concerned.
 29th of Sep, 2009 by   Joe 0 Votes
NEW, JUST RELEASED UPDATE!
Buyers Beware!
Mr. Charles Nelson Boyd is up to his old tricks again.
He has a new company besides Consumer Driven benefits Association, a.k.a. CDBA, and Wholesale Insurance Marketing Group Inc., a.k.a. WIMG.
The new company name is Benefits today. www.benefitstoday.org
He MUST be STOPPED!
 2nd of Apr, 2010 by   Catherine Freeman 0 Votes
Received letter from CDBA on 3/30 informing us the insurance we have been paying for for almost 2 years will be cancelled as of 4/1/2010. They stated they had deactivated the automatic charges from our checking account for April and if we do get charged we can get our money back by providing proof of this transaction. Want to guess what happened on 4/1/2010 -- yep they took the money out and now their site is "down for maintenance" all the phone numbers are set to continuously loop you through voicemail. I hope these people FRY!
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   Joe 0 Votes
FYI!
I am sure you can get in touch with Charles (Chuck) Boyd, at one of these phone numbers;
909-528-1782 or at
909-747-0299

Just trying to help out.
 1st of Mar, 2011 by   Mr. Anonymous +1 Votes
Charles Boyd is in fact a fraudulent old man who loves to rip people off! Not only does he rip people off he likes to ask his employees for sex in return for money, car, house etc... This information is 100% acurate because I know an ex employee who worked there and she is a very young lady about the age of 25. She just wanted to make an honest living by coming to work and doing her best. She was a rather very attractive woman. Charles took her to lunch one day and asked her if she would like to have sex with him!!! The girl was very shocked and speechless. She denied him and told him that she couldnt believe he asked her this and told him that it was so unappropriate. She didnt know what to do. Not even a few months later after the girl denied Charles for sex, he fired her!!! Please if there is any one else out there that knows of something similar to this or an ex employee who knows information about Charles please don't be afraidto come foward! Let's catch this old basterd and bring him to justice!
 20th of Mar, 2011 by   editorwae -1 Votes
@ Joe: Thanks for posting Boyd's phone numbers. It worked! I called him and nicely but firmly explained my grievance. Believe it or not, Charles Boyd was very helpful. In just a couple days, he obtained the information in question from my file and sent me an email explaining my savings on his plan from the billed amount. And he also sent the documents as an attachment so that I could then have everything I need for the billing party. So I came to this site to post a complaint and see how other people have been scammed, but now I don't think I've been scammed.

Were the savings excellent? Not really. But it was a cheap plan, and they negotiated savings by allowing us to be billed only for the "allowable" amount, rather than what providers charge. If you want regular insurance, then go ahead and find a plan where you pay $400 and up each month so that your bill will be reduced to a small co-pay. If you want some dollars knocked off the bill, I think Boyd's plan will work for only $40 or so each month. You get what you pay for. You're not going to get a regular health insurance plan for less than several hundreds of dollars each month. I started out thinking I got scammed, but then saw that his plan did help me save some money. Check your benefits--if it's a discount plan, then you'll get a discount off the bill, not just a small co-pay. They probably "scam" people by knowing the lingo and pitch it on people who don't. But I did get the benefits that we bought into: a discount. Buyer beware.
 12th of May, 2011 by   Joe 0 Votes
Sounds like Charles is Dr. Jekel / Mr. Hyde!
Stalks employees, sells snake oil, rips off sales people and "HE BELIVES" that none of this is his fault, but everyone else's fault!
Mr. Boyd all of these people can't be telling lies, it is you that does'nt do the right thing.
Again, you will reap what you sow.
RIP
 19th of Apr, 2012 by   Justice Finally 0 Votes
The law finally caught up with Mr. Boyd. He was indicted in March 2012 for stealing $400, 000 of premiums. Not that this will make up for how he has deliberately done by stealing from familys, but justice has been served!
You reap what you sow!