logo

Capital visas
Absolutely disgusting company
4. (32 mins ago)
nutrasupport.net
The seller didn’t tell the correct price
5. (49 mins ago)
Rewa Kumar
Fraud

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

ConServe Collection Agency, New York Complaints & Reviews - fraudulent collection agency

ConServe Collection Agency Contacts & Informations

ConServe Collection Agency

Posted:    ConcernedConsumer2010

fraudulent collection agency

ConServe
New York
conserve-arm.com
I received several calls from # 877-804-5569, but each time I was called the phone didn't ring long enough for me to answer. Finally, I called back, and I was directed to a clerk that stated that the company was a collection agency. They asked for my birth year to "verify" who I said I was. After talking awhile I learned that the agency was looking to collect on a school debt that I have had since 2004. When I learned of the institution that supposedly hired this agency to collect my debt I mispoke and said the debt was from 2005. The clerk paused and said yes. Later, I realized that the debt was actually from 2004. After that, the clerk quoted a debt substantially lower from my actual debt. This made me suspicious so I asked for more information about the agency. The caller was hesistant to provide details about the agency, and in fact I never learned of the company name from him. My parents received a letter from a business under the name of ConServe claiming the same debt. That's how I learned of the agency's name. I did, however, after some prodding, learn that the caller's name was Eric Wolfinger. After hanging up, I did a little research, and I found that many people are claiming that this agency is fraudulent and is based out of Fairport, NY. The agency's website [ www.conserve-arm.com ] has very little actual information and appears to represent a fraudulent business. Since then, I have continued to receive calls from the same number, but again the phone never rings long enough for me to answer it. I emailed my bank requesting more information on this business, and I am awaiting a response from them...
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Nov, 2010 by   tabbymarie +1 Votes
Interestingly, I've had a great experience with Conserve so far. Granted for the first little while, while I was avoiding my student loan phone calls due to lack of money, their calls were obnoxious and suspicious. Once i stopped avoiding the debt, I realized I was able to think smartly. So I called the student loan company that I borrowed from to verify their story. Once verified, I have had nothing but pleasant and helpful interactions with them. They're there to help. If they're calling you, you likely owe someone money. Once I got over that... and was ready to act in integrity, the world stopped bugging me so much. ;)
 5th of Nov, 2010 by   lilly1123 +1 Votes
ConServe is a real collection agency...A school I went to verified that they do use them. The only thing I would take care of is that sometimes what a collection agency has down as being owed/dates is not the same as the institution they represent. The reason for this disconnect is the fact that they are a contracted representative of your school and not based out of the school's financial departments them selves...
 5th of Nov, 2010 by   lilly1123 +1 Votes
Oh and I agree with the above comment, I had some issues with the debt and the lady was very helpful and extremely nice...I work for a collection agency and lemme tell you that is VERY rare...
 10th of Nov, 2010 by   cwil20 0 Votes
Same here as the above comment, I literally just got of the phone with them, upset at first of course but a good deal was set in place with a 50 dollar monthly. Pretty reasonable I would say. I was also suspecting fraud thus here I am doing a little research. Thanks for the post you'all
 27th of Jan, 2011 by   Chelebean 0 Votes
I had a student loan from 2002 (from the state I went to school in) that had been on my credit report as "unpaid" for 7 years. It wasn't until the information came off of my credit report that ConServe began contacting me. Not only have they been contacting me attempting to collect on a debt- but they are threatening to put it on my credit report- something they cannot due, as it has already fallen off my report. But, they are increasing the amount owed by a significant amount as "late fees" and "collections fees".

When I was getting my mortgage this showed up on my credit reports and my mortgage broker told me the best thing to do was ignore it and not speak to them about anything- if you do they can "reage" the debt and it can go back onto your reports. Once the debt has fallen off your credit reports- while technically you still owe the debt the collection agency really cannot do anything to you. They cannot put it back on your reports, nor can they threaten with legal action (unless they actually follow through) and most states have a statue of limitations as to how far back you can be held accountable for old debt- except for FEDERAL Student loans- which never go away.
 31st of Jan, 2011 by   georgetta maddox 0 Votes
I actually paid off my school balance when I keep recieving unprofessional and rude calls from this Conserve Agency every time i call even the manager Monet Jordan is rude these people may not collect as much as they could if they wouldn't be so rude i made arrangements with the school and paid off my fee this seemed to have pissed them off ( there fee lost ).
 23rd of Aug, 2011 by   collector1432 0 Votes
I do collections for a department of education company, FDCPA mandates that we must "VERIFY" the correct person so first and last name are a must as well as either Year of Birth, address or last 4 of your SSN but the collector can NOT state the last 4 to you. Here is a tip if they say is this Joe Smith born in 1980 its different from "joe what year were you born in?". If they know your name and me? just ask the collector. The reason they must "Verify" is to protect your identity, imagine you name is david brown and you live in atlanta, and someone just called any dave brown and started talking about your defaulted loans, id be upset for sure... I treat people like humans because on the other end of my phone is a human and I'd like to be treated as such. Listen to your collector and ask questions it could save you thousands of dollars and grief, remember they CAN NOT LIE TO YOU IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
I'll tell you I have never met a rude debt collector, stern ? sure but some people cant get the fact that you signed your name and gave your word on repayment, my favorite is that when I tell someone their employment has been verified and refusing to pay would mean a garnishment review and they say ill see you in court ...lol ... then they call stating my garnishment is $400 a month and you said payments were $125 month .. I want to pay ... sure but it has to be on top of the garnishment ... or hey you took my taxes !!! or my social security is being garnished from a loan 20 years ago ...
 16th of Apr, 2012 by   cindob 0 Votes
I don't owe a debt to them my school loan is paid in full I only went one semester and my college account says it is paid but when I tried to register this semester they had a hold on my account for this collection agency I have had the same calls they hang up and when I call they hang up on me. I told them i wanted an itemized bill in the mail and they refuse. They say I own for collection fees to them and yes my bill was paid to the college but I owe them fees for what they even admit my bill was paid the the university in full. Something is not right with this company they need to be checked into. We have no rights any more we just have to take this crap because it it more to hire an attorney to fix it even when you don't even owe it catch 22 we are screwed. And the company is the worst I have ever had to deal with.
 27th of Jun, 2012 by   a Nurse 0 Votes
I had no intentions of NOT paying my student loans, but the economy and lack of jobs got in the way... At first I was getting calls from a fast talking rude young lady, I politely told her she could either be nicer or she could transfer me to someone else. The next rude comment was met with me hang-up on her. The next day an older lady named Kim called, she was not only polite, but also understanding to my financial situation. By the time all was said and done, I had set up a payment plan that was considerably LESS than my actual student loan payments., and allowed to be split in to bi-weekly payments. Not everyone is TRYING to keep from paying just to be an *ss, some of us have financial woes. We go to school in hopes of providing a better life for our families. I took a huge financial loss for 2 years by cutting back my work hours to attend college again, not to mention the other costs of school that the loan doesn't cover such as gas, uniforms, etc. Then we graduate only to be met with unemployment AND A NEW LARGE STUDENT LOAN BILL! If they call, ask for Kim Pellinger.
 24th of Aug, 2012 by   Edwin Vaughan 0 Votes
These people routinely violate Federal Trade Commission regulations and the law. I recommend if you have issues, report them to the FTC: http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/contact.shtm
 7th of Dec, 2012 by   JamesK( 0 Votes
Please use your time to call them and have them record your complaint, makes them happy to explain your situation that extends to story time for them.

I have 800 621 3115 for their toll free number.

Join them and make them feel useful, they bother everyone!
 28th of Feb, 2013 by   jailor1 0 Votes
Con serve is just like there name says "con" my debts have been paid off for weeks to the place I owed them to. Veterans affairs has also cinfirmed the debts have been paid in full, but according to con serve no payments have been made and they continue to steal money from my wages. They should be clised down for doing dirtt business.
 17th of Apr, 2013 by   trying to survive 0 Votes
I have been contacted numerous times from many different department of educations as well as this office Conserve and i keep being told different amount in which i owe. I have informed all areas that i would like to get my student loans taken care of in a timely manner, but i can not afford the monthly payments in which they want me to pay, so i have sent the amount in which doesn't make my son unable to eat. the problem at this point is i sent in two payments over the last few weeks and i just received yet ANOTHER call at work and she indicated the amount due is now more and no receipt of these payments like in fact i was not telling the truth.. I have repeatedly asked these collectors to please not call me at work and they continue to do so. I was contacted recently on 3/28 by Karen and 4/17 by another woman - which when i explained that i was at work and trying to get things done for my boss to get to a meeting she kept pushing and pushing for me to just stop and talk with her. I told her now was not a good time and she insisted just 10 minutes and keeps asking who do i work for, where is it, where do i live.. I informed her this information has been previously sent many times and the company name and told her i had to get off the phone. She didn't seem happy and said she will call back. I would like to know what i need to do to get the calls at my job to STOP!!.
 16th of May, 2013 by   TheDigital 0 Votes
Hrm. I've read a couple of posts where people are pissed and where some feel good about their service. I'd have to say I'm another person who is pretty content with their customer service. Literally got off the phone with them 5 minutes ago, and they were extremely helpful about my situation. I cannot call them frauds or anything of the sort, seeing as I got the number from someone directly from the Department of Education who said my defaulty loans were given to them to handle. If that's not good enough as verification, I don't really know what is. I think in general, depending on how you approach people or your attitude in general; will normally determine the outcome of call. But maybe it differs when it becomes someone who has to cold call and collect versus someone taking initiative to inquire.
 31st of Jul, 2013 by   Flynn Rioben 0 Votes
I would advise as a consumer that ConServe works in many contracts, with colleges collecting debts that people owe the school for various reasons such as unpaid parking tickets and the such to the US Department of Education federal contract to Treasury contracts and many others. I would like to state that for the US Dept of Ed contract you can look up on their website that ConServe is indeed one of the few collection agencies that is contracted to collect federally defaulted student loans on their behalf. Also as an aside ConServe stands for Continental Service Group. The people there works towards improving the human condition. I have seen both sides of this equation and believe me they are trying to help. Yes at times they may seem rude and sometimes very helpful. I can only speak to certain things. Also at any time a debtor may request a copy of their promissory note sent to their location. However, often the last address in file is the one you originally gave the school x years ago, so before you yell that you didn't receive anything in the mail-did you ever update your information with the US dept of Ed when you moved? Is your responsibility!

Top Consumer Complaint by Fed: #10 - #6