logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (30 mins ago)
Mobile Repeater Australia
Undelivered items, bad services and communication
2. (41 mins ago)
STC
stc lottery
3. (1 hr 21 mins ago)
MaxForCheap.com
Local law enforcement should look into their scam.
4. (1 hr 31 mins ago)
John Pedro Loans
Rep asks for more money, but doesn’t provide loan
5. (1 hr 36 mins ago)

508 - 15 Scadding Ave.
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
Phone: 416-732-4715
I recently canceled my home phone service with Comwave on Jan. 4, 2011 (because their office was closed, reopened 4/1/2011) and was told that the cancellation department will contact me in a couple of days on "how to return the equipment and about my refund of the deposit. On the Jan. 11, 2011 I was contacted by a Sheldon Samuels (416-623-8500 ext.349) who said that he's the vice president of Comwave.

Mr. Sheldon informed me that I couldn't cancel because I'm on a 3 year contract with Comwave and if I canceled, I'll be billed for the rest of the remaining contract. I tried to explain to Mr. Sheldon Samuels that I didn't sign on to contract but he would not have any of it. He insisted that there is a fine print buried in the contract that says it's a 3 year contract. What I don't understand is, why is Comwave advertising their service as a free contract policy to hook the customer into obtaining their service, then burying a 3 year contract in the fine print'. My guess is that's Comwave thanks to the customers for signing onto their no contract policy

Please supply postage for your equipment like the other carriers such as Rogers, Bell, Fido, Telus, etc. do. I understand that you do business differently to other companies. Passing on the expense of having your equipment shipped to your customers and having Mr.
Sheldon Samuels call me trying to intimidate me of having a 3 years contract when in fact I do not and did not is very unethical.
Comments Canada Landline & Home Phone Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of May, 2011 by   HardDodger +2 Votes
I too was stung by the CrimeWave, oops that’s Comwave. Little did I know when that persistent incoherent telephone solicitor contacted me I was inadvertently signing up for a long distance service. Reading all the comments on the Internet one has got to realize that this can’t continue, there are steps to take to STOP this company from their unethical actions! PLEASE follow these steps. Contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau – www.bbb.org ) and file a complaint. There are well over a 100 complaints against this company, they are currently rated an F by the BBB. Contact the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, this is their actual complaints link to file a complaint – (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/rapidsccm/landing.asp?lang=E&caseid=534953&key=41083.7025658951). To file a complaint with the RCMP, their email contact is info@antifraudcentre.ca . Contact your MP (Member of Parliament) and advise them of ComWave and their business practices. One voice can be easily extinguished but a mob is much more difficult to get rid of. Next, file a claim in small claims court, this will cost a few bucks but will definitely get results. The claim should represent any monies that were billed to you that were not agreed to, this would include automatic renewals, over billing, etc. Also include in the small claims action time spent dealing with the actions taken to rectify the situation, be reasonable, calculate your amount based on your current earnings and finally, include an amount for potential damage to your credit rating because they have involved a collection agency. BY THE WAY did you know that the definition for EXTORTION according to Wikipedia is “a criminal offense which occurs when a person (or corporation) unlawfully obtains either money, property or services from a person(s), entity or institution, through coercion. If anyone is aware of a lawyer that would do a “pro bono” lawsuit please forward the information I would be more than happy to assist in anyway possible.U.crtc
 18th of May, 2011 by   rosane d +2 Votes
I got into the same problem. I didn't even use their service. I called them before 3 months to cancel the service and to return that piece of equipment and they tried to intimidate me. Definitely I’m going to file claims.
 18th of May, 2011 by   phildazz 0 Votes
What can be done about Conwave? I know that you're a complaint board but you do anything to stop this company from praying on Canadian citizens?
 18th of Oct, 2011 by   khey 0 Votes
I was going to try out Comwave four months ago, and received the modem, but never even hooked it up let alone taking it out of the box. I called to cancel the account and was told I would be charged the full contract as a "cancellation fee" as it was past the 3 month cancellation date for trying out the service. I never even tried out the service or used their product! Before I called them, I was going to try them out later maybe next year since I don't need the service right now, but that for sure is not happening now. I was put on hold for 40min and then told--when I hung up and called back after the first call--that I would be charged this fee, that I had a 3year contract and that it wouldn't help to speak with anyone, I would always be told the same thing.
 14th of Apr, 2012 by   Farahs 0 Votes
STAY AWAY FROM COMWAVE!
Ex-Comwave employee!!!
 15th of Oct, 2012 by   vitaeterna +1 Votes
I use Comwave for long distance and I've been quite satisfied.

I don't think they are very clear about the trial period being 30 days. When a representative called me, he gave me the impression that the $50.00 device fee was refundable only if I kept it for more than 30 days, which is incorrect. After 30 days, they will refund the device but you are on the hook for the 3 year contract. If you don't like the service, you should return the device within the 30 days. There is also a non-refundable Canada Post fee of $12.00 to try out the service. They should be clearer that It is 6 months of free service if you sign up for a 3 year term, but only a 30 day trial period. On their website, they do show you can just go month to month without locking in for a 3 year term. It does cost $14.95 instead of $9.95 and no 6 months free, but it is another option.

Also, you are not connected directly to the 911 service, but to some other call centre.
 1st of Nov, 2012 by   Billz 0 Votes
Same thing happened to me! I never signed up for a contract but I was told by Comwave that I'm on a contract!!! I asked for recordings which Comwave sent after a month and there is nothing in the recordings that proves I signed up for a contract. I like their long distance service but if they refuse to cancel their so called CONTRACT, I will cancel all my services with them and WARN everyone I know to never get any service from COMWAVE. AKA SCAMWAVE
 19th of Jan, 2013 by   Leo G. 0 Votes
ComWave charged me $56.50 for their modem that I returned (I have the Canada Post Tracking Slip) saying they never received the item and even though I have the tracking number from Canada Post showing it was delivered their warehouse claims it didn't arrive.
Their customer service now located in Guatemala will not refund the money unless the warehouse says they have the modem.
Seems like a scam to me.
DO NOT GIVE ANY OF YOUR BANKING INFORMATION OUT. They will use it to unlawfully charge you.
 18th of Feb, 2013 by   ammmir 0 Votes
comwave is a big ripp off. they never refunded my security deposit for the box and voice quality was bad . called comwave regarding they billling and and technical support but no one was able to help me so i tried to switch my services to disneytel.ca and what they did block my number and i was not able to port number and i was end up getting new number from my provider. i am happy with disneytel and will never switch back to comwave.
 24th of Feb, 2013 by   CIJ 0 Votes
yes, same thing happen to me with COMWAVE. They are just TERRIBLE COMPANY.
PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM
 24th of Feb, 2013 by   CIJ 0 Votes
I JUST HOPE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU will do something with all the complaints with COMWAVE . BBB is not doing anything to protect consumers!
 24th of Feb, 2013 by   Randysameul -1 Votes
i was with comavee and service was very lousy and when i wanted to port my number to disneytel.ca, they cancelled my number and was not able to switch it. i called more than 30 times to get my number released but was not sucessful then disneytel offered me new number. i am very happy with disneytel.a
 26th of Feb, 2013 by   Ana Holbik +1 Votes
Comwave - What a Scam

I set up service with Conwave last Sunday. I received an e-mail with confirmation for a 3 year agreement which was never discussed. I contacted them and they refuse to cancel my account. It is disgraceful that a Company like that is operating in Canada. I am fighting it!
 5th of Mar, 2013 by   Mike Puts +1 Votes
In order to try this service out, without providing your banking info, by a visa gift card. Purchase $100 and make the call. Your modem will be sent to you, then you will have the bad experience without giving them the satisfaction of ripping you off! You will be happy you did! No extra fees/hidden costs of penalties. Cover your back, as this company is sketchy.
 21st of May, 2013 by   pepot418 +1 Votes
comwave online and TV advertisement are false:
1. they did not tell you that you need to pay for the modem
2. limited time offer - 6 months free on any plan, all features free...for only $14.95 ..not true...you have to be on 3 year contract to get the 6 months free offer and all features such as call display & voice mail
 25th of May, 2013 by   Haifaa +1 Votes
Very unethical, Lots of hidden Fees, Bad customer service. I got screwed over twice with this company. Once with their long distance plans, where someone from India called saying they have great deal and gave me a rate, which sounded very impressive so I signed up for it, only to find out by the end of the month a huge charge, when I called to complain and ask why they lied about it, they totally denied they ever called let along gave me the rate I was told about. Second when I cancelled I was Charged 56 Dollars for my own number which I had even before I ever signed up with the company, and when I called to ask about the charge they lied saying the sent me a letter explaining fees and their terms and conditions when I first signed up with them, which is a total lie!!!. There is so many hidden fees, be very careful, there are a lot of other companies out there that provide better services and even cheaper than this scum bag of a company. DO NOT GET SCREWED OVER LIKE I DID, STAY AWAY!!
 25th of May, 2013 by   Lost in limbo +1 Votes
I was contacted by phone to try out Comwave .I had wanted to try a VOIP product so I said ok. The box arived in the mail about three weeks later and I didn.t hook it up .I recieved a call from someone at Comwave and we went through the hookup process. I had it hooked up for a week as requested .In that week I made one outgoing call. To make that call had to enter the country code then the number. I and other people tried to make incoming calls but could not. I disconected it and went back to a land line. I called Comwave and explained the situation, the woman I talked to said there was a glitch in their system .I told her i didn, t care and where could I send the equipment, she said I will get back to you. She never did. Six months later I get a bill in the mail, and a week later a guy calls me demanding payment.I explained the situation to him and he says I will get back to you, he never does. Iabout a year later I get a collection notice for $ 1150.00 payable immediately . I called Metcredit and tried to explain again .The woman said she would help if I paid the bill. Iam such an idiot as I paid it never to hear from her again. Comwave will not send me a statement oo phone use or an explanation of any charges, Metcredit won, t return my calls either, I am left in limbo with no where to turn. Thanks for reading. riliwi@gmail.com
 25th of Jun, 2013 by   jaggi d +1 Votes
I been through the same experience, when I called them to get home phone and Internet connection then they offer me $29.99 unlimited land line plan then they sent me router and modem in male in couple of days and I paid $60 for technician to install it. After one month they billed me for $374.00 and suspended my services because I was over of my $300 credit limit, when I called them they said that I over use my plan, I tried to explain them I have unlimited plan then they goes like there's only 3000 minutes cap on my plan. I was totally shocked, I called them next day about the same issue and discuss about unlimited calling plan then they told me that is the name of the plan " unlimited plan " but in reality they don't have any plans give you unlimited calling and after that two hours argument they dispute $208 but they still want their $100 security deposit for their router when I tried to cancel with them, they told me I'm under three years contract which I never was told, I am totally stuck now if I cancel I have to pay $400 early cancel fee. I'm sitting home without Internet and phone for almost 4 day, beware of these scams. Don't chose comwave. Stay away from them. I will fight for it
 17th of Jul, 2013 by   StephanieMg -1 Votes
I tried Comwave
The ad offered 6 months free
Service was poor, sound quality dreadful, long delays made conversation impossible
I could not call 800 numbers, including Comwave's - had to use work phone to call them!
They ignored my queries, denied complaints
They billed my credit card $22 per month - no free 6 months
When I called for a refund, they tried to charge me a cancellation fee
I have had to cancel my credit card, to prevent them continuing to bill me
These people are thieves
 20th of Aug, 2013 by   Howard007 0 Votes
It is a nightmare with Comwave particularly when I wanted to cancel any connection with it. I am continued to be billed again and again... This is a crimewave...

Help for Homeowners: HARP 2.0