Comenity Bank

Posted:

Commenity Bank gouge long-time customers w/ late fees

Comenity Bank
I have been a loyal customer of JCrew my entire adult life and have turned on many other friends and family to the brand over the years. I have the highest credit score you can get overall, and always pay my entire balance every month. I also make purchases almost monthly. In March 2012, my laptop and luggage was stolen while on a trip on top of a very busy work month, and I missed my JCrew payment by a few days. I immediately paid the balance and asked for late-fee forgiveness, which i was granted.

I am now having marital problems, and my husband and I are separated, causing mayhem in my home and problems with my daughter. I missed the October payment by a few days due to reasonable preoccupations, and was again charged the $25. I paid the balance, then contacted the new credit servicer, Comenity, and requested they credit the charge, explaining my issues, and my history as a customer. They refuse to do it, citing that I was already given a credit in March. Well, I say “so what.” Late fees are for people who abuse credit– I am obviously NOT one of those people, and should be given a break due to my continuous loyalty, regular spending, excellent credit history, etc. However, Comenity are a bunch of inhuman robots, who cannot show a little understanding and compassion, and would rather risk losing a lifelong customer for JCrew than credit a paltry $25.
Complaint comments Comments Complaint country United States Complaint category Banks
Was the above complaint useful?

Comments

31st of Oct, 2012 by    +1 Votes
"Late fees are for people who abuse credit"

And for people that pay late.
 3rd of Nov, 2012 by    -1 Votes
You should be happy they credited it once, a lot of places won't even do that.
 9th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes

Comenity Pay - Withdraw from my checking account
Comenity Pay

Comenity Pay has a recurring withdraw from my checking account, causing over draft fees, and other banking charges. This company preys on people who think they are receiving free gift card and free gas cards. Please be aware of them.
 24th of Jan, 2013 by    0 Votes
I am now overdrawn over 228.00 with more $35.00 charges. So far there are 5 charges like that for this Comenity company taking money that did not exist from my account almost three weeks after they were already paid! My bank cannot reverse charges or help me in any way and I am raising a granddaughter with Cancer and cannot afford any of this. I am on a fixed income and had $11.25 left in my account for the month, then they made fictitious checks and tried to deposit them in my account. I do not know how we can pay the rent now for next month. OMG, I cannot stop crying!!! Monette
 9th of Apr, 2013 by    0 Votes
they slap on late fees and then don't send email bills. This is the third time Comenity has not sent an emailed bill for one of their companies for 2 months. I depend on email bills, as I have many cards, so I choose paperless. Comenity purposely doesn't email a bill then calls after two months demanding late fees (which go up $5 each time). And each time they do this, I not only demand refund of fees, I pay off the $25 balance and end the card, after which I call the store and inform them they have lost a customer because of the bank they use. So, Pier 1, Crate and Barrel -- NOT in my shopping world anymore, after many years. As long as they use Comenity, and Comenity uses these shady practices of "silent" late fees and no emailing of statement -- we're done, as customers.
 28th of May, 2013 by    0 Votes
Commenity bank is nothing but a bunch of thugs. They have an "entrapment" method of offering a card for a new store, (they own many store accounts, e.g. talbots, j.crew..) and I fell for accepting cards and charging at several stores. Well I am a foolish victim, but am determined to retaliate. I warn all; if you are offered a card, DON'T accept it. You too, may be a victim. I mean this from my heart. Be careful. No item is worth being a victim over.
 20th of May, 2014 by    0 Votes
We have the same experience with Comenity. We pay all our bills, via bill pay, on the last day of the month or first of the new month. It takes 2 - 3 days to post. We get hit with a $35 late charge for being one or two days late. It is the norm with all other providers to have a 5 day grace period and allow you to move your payment date to, say, the 7thof the month to account for bill pay processing. When I called their customer support, they knew exactly what I was asking for, saying, 'you are not the only ones asking. We'll have it [ability to move your pay date] soon enough.' This seems like a way to use late fees as a revenue center, not a way to guide payment behavior.

Comenity Bank Logo Comenity Bank